Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

A born Purdue coach if ever there was one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

LLCoolJD posted:

So is Nussmeier out at Florida or what? He sucked at Michigan and has been one of the worst coordinators in the entire country during his time at Florida.

Nuss was UW's #2 choice for head coach behind Petersen. Dodged a god drat bullet there.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Do you even want to count him at this point? He'll have to sit in the corner with Chuck Long.

I judge this more by who they cut their teeth with as a coach, and while Diaco was linked to Brian Kelly most of his career, it was as a DC. He isn't fairly part of a tree.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was Mumme ahead of his time? He flamed out sorta quick but all of branches have stayed around

In the SEC? Yes.

I was watching highlights of Kentucky's 1997 win over Alabama.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R1SM3uce6M

Granted, this was far from peak Alabama, but the underneath route was being completely ignored all game.

I got to see a good bit of him at Valdosta State, which has in turn made the Air Raid its identity. He also had Holgo and Leach on staff there. That said, VSU has sent a ton of assistants on to bigger jobs; Muschamp and Smart are almost a distant branch of the Mumme tree. Chris Hatcher had both at VSU as defensive coordinator. Hatcher is an Air Raid guy, though he was pretty hands off with his defense. Other assistants have wound up in Georgia and Florida high school football and the spread is becoming much more common. Very few programs use a pure wing T now and it and the single wing used to dominate.

Mumme had some rules violations and clashed with Kentucky boosters and admin, who, if remember right, were really pushing Jared Lorenzen. Hatcher, who was with Mumme at Kentucky, went back to VSU (he'd played there under Mumme) and took Tim Couch's backup, Dusty Bonner, with him.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Row the goddamned boat to Cincinnati

Then row it past Cincinnati

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Don't even think about it Baylor, please God no

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

Don't even think about it Baylor, please God no

:getin:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Democrazy posted:

It's not really about whether teams can score or not. Of course some teams can score, and the SEC in recent years has gotten much better about incorporating Meyer-spread elements into their offenses. But that's different from deciding to do something which no one in the conference does and thus few coaches are prepared to defend.

I'm mystified why teams like South Carolina and Arkansas, teams that will probably never be able to win the SEC based on talent alone, aren't taking more risks.

Probably the closest the conference has seen to a true Air Raid is what Kevin Sumlin is doing at A&M, and he beat Nick Saban on his first year here. You can't beat schools like LSU and Alabama trying to out recruit them. You have to look for other advantages.

Auburn, Ole Miss, A&M, Missouri and Miss St, and probably some I'm missing all run some form or another of a spread, uptempo offense.

South Carolina had three 11 win seasons in a row under Spurrier running a pro style offense. Arkansas can't out recruit LSU, but they still managed to beat them two years in a row. The most successful team in the conference still runs a pro-style offense.

I dunno what you want, there's a decent amount of variety in the SEC as far as style of offense, the issue isn't that they aren't trying new things, it's that none of those things are as effective as getting the number 1 recruiting class every year and being coached by Nick Saban.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

He should have resigned by leaving a table of boosters during dinner without saying anything

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Zifnab posted:

Nuss was UW's #2 choice for head coach behind Petersen. Dodged a god drat bullet there.

I believe Nuss was the head coach in waiting if the offense looked good for him under Hoke but the total results were not there.

Yeah - it went back even further.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

Zifnab posted:

I'm happy for Washington. I don't think I've ever seen a team make out like a bandit like that after getting their coach poached. They dodged double bullets- Sark's eventual personal meltdown and then being able to finality get Petersen out of Boise which avoided the Doug Nussmeier clown show.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

DrunkPanda posted:

He should have resigned by leaving a table of boosters during dinner without saying anything

Same, that's doing Cincinnati a favor.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/jdemling/status/805466402295574528

Pls do this instead of going to Purdue

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

So is Nussmeier out at Florida or what? He sucked at Michigan and has been one of the worst coordinators in the entire country during his time at Florida.

I've never had a limb amputated by a shark, but when they called that flea-flicker play I felt that white-hot pain and rage, followed by a sharp tug as my enjoyment of UF football being forever pulled away from me.

Nuss should be fired today but it won't happen. I imagine Mac is going to ride his loyalty to Nuss all the way out the door.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Wasn't it just last year people said Coach Mac was a better hire than Harbaugh?

How has he fallen off so much?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Regnevelc posted:

I don't remember anyone saying that.

Bad coaching hires might do him in. Something about paying a 7m buyout for an offensive 'guru' to fix an offense, then ending up 127/128 in red zone offense just seems to leave a bad taste in our mouths.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Regnevelc posted:

I guaranteed greatness as soon as Harbaugh was hired.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gators should keep Coach Mac or rehire Muschamp, imo.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Florida should just let Spurrier text in play calls from the golf course

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sab0921 posted:

Florida should just let Spurrier text in play calls from the golf course

smh if you think Steve Spurrier has ever texted anyone

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Pakled posted:

smh if you think Steve Spurrier has ever texted anyone

I bet that mother fucker slays pussy in dms on Twitter

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

YES YES YES YES YES

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Hey guys, I haven't been on the forums this weekend but I'm happy we're not going after Briles and I'd like to give a hell no to Miles and Kiffin. Well have a good week y'all.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Alaois posted:

YES YES YES YES YES

That's probably what Brohm is thinking when he considers that it would triple his already huge salary.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

June Jones is now the athletic director at St. Louis School in Hawai'i, an all-boys catholic college prep school.

huh.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

June Jones is now the athletic director at St. Louis School in Hawai'i, an all-boys catholic college prep school.

huh.

Good for him. If you have the money to live there, just take some figurehead job in Hawaii and never leave.

My office had a "Goodbye Tommy Tuberville" cake this morning, just in time for Charlie Strong to be a shortlist candidate. I think it'd be a good hire, but the locals here are more than a little alarmed at the concept of hiring a defensive-minded Big 12 burnout again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

My office had a "Goodbye Tommy Tuberville" cake this morning, just in time for Charlie Strong to be a shortlist candidate. I think it'd be a good hire, but the locals here are more than a little alarmed at the concept of hiring a defensive-minded Big 12 burnout again.

I think Brohm winding up there would be awesome, and I could see them going after Ed Warinner too.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

huh.

That's Mariota's alma mater.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Do we consider Forde a decent source for this sort of thing, because

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/805807312959131648

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Do we consider Forde a decent source for this sort of thing, because

https://twitter.com/YahooForde/status/805807312959131648

Forde's an annoying gently caress but he's usually pretty solid on those things.

E: some other places reporting it now too. That's a hell of a get for Purdue.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Brian Kelly notes that the Irish’s next defensive coordinator will likely be given the latitude to bring in his own assistants. “I think it’s reasonable to expect that if you did hire from within there could be change, and if you did hire from outside, I think you have to allow that person to interview and feel comfortable with the staff,” Kelly told ND Insider.

So yeah basically a full house clearing for the defensive staff at ND, most likely.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

So yeah basically a full house clearing for the defensive staff at ND, most likely.

Hey, whatever makes it so last season wasn't Brian Kelly's fault.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

DJExile posted:

Forde's an annoying gently caress but he's usually pretty solid on those things.

E: some other places reporting it now too. That's a hell of a get for Purdue.

I just want it to be over.......please let it be true. Of course, my "source" isn't here in the office today.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
ESPN confirms Brohm to Purdue

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Hey, whatever makes it so last season wasn't Brian Kelly's fault.

BK deserves blame but the fact of the matter is he just signed a 6 year deal and they don't finally stop paying Weis until the end of this month. They probably couldn't fire him now if they wanted to, and they're just off a 10-3 season anyway.

If Deshone Kiser stays they should still have a good offense next year but the D had been a mess almost ever since Diaco left.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Soooooooo what's going on in Eugene?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Great hire for Purdue. He may be another G5 coach but he's been consistently good at WKU for three years, not just a one-season wonder getting snapped up by a desperate P5 program.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

I think Brohm winding up there would be awesome, and I could see them going after Ed Warinner too.

If someone is dumb enough to take Ed Warriner after the absolute fiasco that's been the Ohio State offense for the last two years, then they can have him with our blessing. Hell, they can take Tim Beck too. The man designs an offense like Steve Addazio and could maybe be that good of a HC, but I highly doubt it. Coombs might fit the area better but has no record beyond being a position coach. I guess Schiano could turn them into something as well. Really just pick an OSU assistant, and that could be a rumor. Everyone I know down here is talking themselves into Brian Kelly totally wanting to come back which...lol.

Brohm to Purdue is far better than they deserve. Hope they're willing to throw money at facilities with it too.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Forde is very plugged in at Louisville.

Can't ND just throw a pile of money at Diaco and get him back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Warinner's a good recruiter but yeah play-calling clearly isn't his thing. I think he'd be better suited starting at a MAC/CUSA level team (personally I think he'd fit really well at Ohio if/when Solich retires) but I could see Cincy looking at him.

Kim Jong Il posted:

Can't ND just throw a pile of money at Diaco and get him back?

Coaches are egoists. The odds of Bob taking even the same amount of money as a head coach to go back to being a coordinator are zero, so long as he's not on UConn's hot seat.

E: Diaco's buyout is $5,000,000 too.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 5, 2016

• Locked thread