Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Guillermus posted:

The M4 sounds cool but it eats through shots drat fast and is slow to reload.

What would be an optimal build?

Reload speed or mag size depending on weapon selection is kind of clear but, what is better, tight choke or armor piercing? From description, will armor piercing make pellets pierce through let's say a siren's armor parts?

Tactical Reload is a godsend for shotguns. You might be able to make an argument for deeper mags when you get to the AA-12, but even that benefits more from faster reloading cause it already has a deep enough magazine.
+30% damage is a no-brainer. If you can kill everything before it reaches you then you don't need the extra health.
Tight Choke = more pellets hit what you're aiming at = more damage. Not to mention it means you effectively have better range and can start sniping with your shotguns. Nothing like blowing the head off a Siren from 50 feet with one Boomstick shot.
Resupply Pack is better even if you're playing solo. Concussion Rounds are just useless because you can already stagger everything with the Boomstick already.
Barrage is way better because you can just sweep around and destroy entire waves in seconds. Your base penetration level is good enough anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I was medic till the boss wave. :newlol:

Had to kill a fleshpound, 6 scrakes and 40+ zeds when everyone else died, pubs really need to stop splitting up so drat much.

On the bright side the sheer amount of zeds got me to 15 so now I can buff damage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Tactical Reload is a godsend for shotguns. You might be able to make an argument for deeper mags when you get to the AA-12, but even that benefits more from faster reloading cause it already has a deep enough magazine.
+30% damage is a no-brainer. If you can kill everything before it reaches you then you don't need the extra health.
Tight Choke = more pellets hit what you're aiming at = more damage. Not to mention it means you effectively have better range and can start sniping with your shotguns. Nothing like blowing the head off a Siren from 50 feet with one Boomstick shot.
Resupply Pack is better even if you're playing solo. Concussion Rounds are just useless because you can already stagger everything with the Boomstick already.
Barrage is way better because you can just sweep around and destroy entire waves in seconds. Your base penetration level is good enough anyway.

I played yesterday a bunch of maps with goonmate Riflen with that skill setup and holy poo poo. I can snipe zeds with the normal shotgun perfectly. Sure, support can't one shot scrakes with the hitbox glitch but barrage with the combat shotgun owns at clearing packs.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
I have finally 100%ed KF 2.

Need moar custom maps.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Got any tips for HoE other than max all perks?

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laputanmachine posted:

Got any tips for HoE other than max all perks?

Min/Max everything. Crew composition has to be spot on, or you can do what I did for some of my HoE achieveos and join a server on wave 11/10 and get it for doing nothing if they win. :smug:

Seriously, gently caress HoE on Infernal Realm and Catacombs.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Skoll posted:

Min/Max everything. Crew composition has to be spot on, or you can do what I did for some of my HoE achieveos and join a server on wave 11/10 and get it for doing nothing if they win. :smug:

Seriously, gently caress HoE on Infernal Realm and Catacombs.

I found farmhouse to be far worse on HoE

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Yeah, Farmhouse is just a tough map in general, and it scales much harder than other maps on higher difficulties. On HoE it can feel like the entirety of the map is just covered with zeds shoulder to shoulder because it's so small.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I went from barely using parries to fishing for them with the level 15 berserker skill. That thing is ridiculous and turns me into more of a blender.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

aniviron posted:

Yeah, Farmhouse is just a tough map in general, and it scales much harder than other maps on higher difficulties. On HoE it can feel like the entirety of the map is just covered with zeds shoulder to shoulder because it's so small.

you really need to hold a position in Farmhouse. Holding the top of the stairs or retreating to the outside balcony helps if you have a good team. You really cant go mobile on Farmhouse since its such a small map

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

She Bangs the Drums posted:

you really need to hold a position in Farmhouse. Holding the top of the stairs or retreating to the outside balcony helps if you have a good team. You really cant go mobile on Farmhouse since its such a small map

I keep hoping for large player servers to pick Farmhouse because I want to see how 20-30 people handle a tiny map like that.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Revolver Bunker posted:

I keep hoping for large player servers to pick Farmhouse because I want to see how 20-30 people handle a tiny map like that.

If player collusion is on, badly.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I found a way to stop Hans healing without destroying his shield.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwNuuGIPspE

Use a door apparently. :stare:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
You can also stop his healing as Berserker if you're level 25. Get the perk that makes zeds run from you during zed time and Hans will stop his healing to flee.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Skoll posted:

If player collusion is on, badly.

You should be colluding with your teammates regardless. There's no place for Rambos in KF2.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Tagichatn posted:

You should be colluding with your teammates regardless. There's no place for Rambos in KF2.

I've heard rumors of player collusion, but have never seen it myself.

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

ponzicar posted:

I've heard rumors of player collusion, but have never seen it myself.

It's a little bit like insider trading- it's punished, so you gotta keep it on the dl

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone experienced a weird bug where Patriarch endlessly shoots missiles?

Its happened to me twice so far, he just never stops with SKY IS FALLING till you get him to another phase.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Alteisen posted:

Has anyone experienced a weird bug where Patriarch endlessly shoots missiles?

Its happened to me twice so far, he just never stops with SKY IS FALLING till you get him to another phase.

That was fixed in PC, he's supposed to fire a buttload of missiles instead of doing his animation over and over.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I've had sirens stay in place and scream forever in addition to that.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
This is the 3rd time I've seen pubs run for a stack of tires in a corner of Outpost, for some reason the zeds can't hurt them in there.

Someone guy just tried it for the Patty and his A.I broke, kept running circles around the vehicle in the garage.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sounds like the old bug in KF1's biotics lab. You could hide behind a bed inside a small room and the AI didn't know what to do, even the patriarch. You could sit there and just headshot everything with the 9mm and get achievements. Shame that it got patched, it was kind of funny to see a bunch of players hiding behind a bed sorrounded by zeds.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I remember you could use a bug in the original mod to get to the top of the gate in the back of the police station in West London and just stay there out of reach of the zeds. Good times.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
My usual group and I have started lifting at HoE now, and our general reaction is pretty similar to the Tripwire forum tryhards--it is bizarrely easy, and the jump in difficulty is much, much less drastic than from say Hard to Suicidal.

Also there's no massive changes from Suicidal to HoE like there are on Hard to Suicidal. Swapping from Hard to Suicidal, you get to deal with extra Bloat boogers when they explode, fart Crawlers, and a million blue Clots that hype up other zeds, on top of nearly every zed sprinting at you the moment they spawn. Meanwhile the only difference I notice on Hell on Earth is Scrakes rage literally the first time they're hit, and Crawlers do a bonkers 20 damage with one hit if you let them do their strong attack.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

ZearothK posted:

I remember you could use a bug in the original mod to get to the top of the gate in the back of the police station in West London and just stay there out of reach of the zeds. Good times.

KF1 maps were full of out-of-bounds glitches for a while. I remember in that factory map you could walk inside of a big pipe and zeds couldn't clip thru to get you, and on that same map one of the trader doors was bugged and you could use it every wave which was super helpful as it was also in the best holdout room.

And in hospital there was an office on the ground floor right by the entrance that you could climb through the windows, and then the only things that could get you were sirens and husks. Got some HoE map achievements with stuff like that before they got patched. Aah memories.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
KF 2 needs another map like Hospital. I remember that one being genuinely freaky and balls hard.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That's because the crawlers strong attack is like a flip of sorts that hits multiple times, it can vaporize you if you get surrounded.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Skoll posted:

KF 2 needs another map like Hospital. I remember that one being genuinely freaky and balls hard.

Oh dear, Hospital was one of the maps I got the most of my welding points. I spent entire rounds welding a single door and just turning to dump my shotgun and then keeping enemies behind that doah, like this will keep the sods out.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

and on that same map one of the trader doors was bugged and you could use it every wave which was super helpful as it was also in the best holdout room.

This should be still there I think.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
527 headshots, my new personal best :toot:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Is it just me or is Firebug direly underpowered? It's really ammo inefficient for its main task of clearing trash, even if you just do quick bursts at the ground, and you can't do anything at all to high-tier zeds. Even the microwave gun, while infinitely more effective against Scrakes and Fleshpounds than the flamethrower, still takes a good ~100 ammo to tear one down. Why play Firebug when I could just magdump a SCAR into a Scrake and kill it that much faster, or sweep around with the P90 to kill swarms of Clots in seconds?

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Is it just me or is Firebug direly underpowered? It's really ammo inefficient for its main task of clearing trash, even if you just do quick bursts at the ground, and you can't do anything at all to high-tier zeds. Even the microwave gun, while infinitely more effective against Scrakes and Fleshpounds than the flamethrower, still takes a good ~100 ammo to tear one down. Why play Firebug when I could just magdump a SCAR into a Scrake and kill it that much faster, or sweep around with the P90 to kill swarms of Clots in seconds?

Firebug sucks

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Is it just me or is Firebug direly underpowered?

It's not just you. Firebug was good when it was new, then when resists came in they ruined it, and though resists have been tuned down for most other classes and enemies, bug is still screwed harder than any other class, has more dosh demands than any other class, and less overall effectiveness than almost any other class. It's really shameful.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Firebug was a bit dicey after resists, but a good player could still have a lot of fun and clean house with it. So they nerfed it. Again. And again. And again.

And now after three nerfs it's not worth playing my favourite class. Not bitter or anything.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

SinineSiil posted:

This should be still there I think.

I don't think I ever actually saw it fixed so I hope so. It seems like it would be really boring to stay in one room and focus fire a single doorway for an hour, but there was also something mindnumbingly zen/relaxing about it as well. I would consistently top the kill count by going demo and standing on the couch in front of the trader and just lobbing ordinance over the rest of the team into that hallway.

That and the knowledge that if any one player hosed up or the front line broke for even a moment your whole house of cards was coming down and your defensive position just became your prison, followed shortly by becoming your tomb.

So, I'm continuing to dig Survivalist. I'm up to level 13 or so and am still running SSG and nade launcher. Someone in one of my recent games commented that, because I'm runing around with a speed-boosted SSG, I'm basically playing a Doomguy build. I haden't ever thought of it that way but now I'm kind of digging the idea. I'm considering switching my second perk from healing over to melee so I can sprint around even faster, and am actually thinking about taking more ammo over the +5 carry weight at lv15. I can already carry an SSG and the rocket launcher, what else could I need :haw: That and having more than 2 weapons under the same key makes it awkward to select them quickly for me. Has anyone crunched numbers on all the Survivalist perks and found out what the 'best' build is supposed to be yet?

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Takes No Damage posted:

I don't think I ever actually saw it fixed so I hope so. It seems like it would be really boring to stay in one room and focus fire a single doorway for an hour, but there was also something mindnumbingly zen/relaxing about it as well. I would consistently top the kill count by going demo and standing on the couch in front of the trader and just lobbing ordinance over the rest of the team into that hallway.

That and the knowledge that if any one player hosed up or the front line broke for even a moment your whole house of cards was coming down and your defensive position just became your prison, followed shortly by becoming your tomb.
Yup! I loved doing that as well.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Okay, so, Firebug is actually really decent on Hell on Earth because there's so many zeds in one spot that you do so much fire damage just through sheer quantity alone, and it's good for softening up zeds for your direct damage dealers.

The only problem is that on any other difficulty, you're not getting swarmed and teamplay is less emphasized, so Firebug actually gets progressively worse the easier the difficulty is.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

I think they should get rid of the firebug skill that gives you a longer fire DoT. I would rather kill enemies faster, and in my experience most of the time if a guy tries to puff enemies and burn them to death all it does is make it harder to headshot the army of now burning and sprinting enemies that the rest of us have to kill with our real guns. I would like to see it replaced with a skill that increases damage to a zed with continuous fire, or better yet to build that into the flame weapons and microwave gun because I hate skills that just say 'do more damage'.

either way i'm not going to play firebug any more until they add cooler weapons like flare revolvers and the husk gun

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Microwave gun is dumb even when it's competitive in balance, because it just takes a left turn from the rest of your really cool weapons and gets into science fiction poo poo. And yeah it doesn't have enough ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Flare revolvers were the only DLC weapons that were actually worth getting in KF1. They just make sense and were a great off-perk backup for other classes. FB even already has flare grenades, just take that effect, slap some decent DoT on them and make them stick to zeds, model up a goofy steampunk revolver thing and you're fuckin' DONE.