Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Oh my.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought STO flipped the gently caress out under anything newer than DX9.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Bieeardo posted:

I thought STO flipped the gently caress out under anything newer than DX9.

Runs fine for me, some textures are still just solid black, but they're rare.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
The new lighting update and all that pretty much sorted the issues out.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, the bigger issue than XP players (gently caress em) is Mac and Linux WINErs.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, the bigger issue than XP players (gently caress em) is Mac and Linux WINErs.

Weren't those cut loose a while ago?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

wdarkk posted:

Weren't those cut loose a while ago?

Official support got cut, yeah. I think there are still WINE shells you can run it in.

E: STO was my last holdout "at least this still runs ok on my old machine" game. I've run out of excuses not to upgrade now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The official crossover client for Mac was, yeah, but doing it unofficially always worked fine. There's a fair few people doing it, as far as I can tell.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fanfiction.net.jpg

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

DancingShade posted:

fanfiction.net.jpg

No, that would be the one where the 5000-year-old tween descendant of Janeway carrying the Dax symbiote was sent back in time to gently caress James T. Kirk.

why do I remember this poo poo from a random pubbie bio

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Alright, so I'm looking to kill some time in this game, Is there like an optimal choice for first time players re: faction, character, ship type, weapons, etc??? There's a lot to look at, but I figured I'd ask since I'll probably just gently caress it up going alone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rizzen posted:

Alright, so I'm looking to kill some time in this game, Is there like an optimal choice for first time players re: faction, character, ship type, weapons, etc??? There's a lot to look at, but I figured I'd ask since I'll probably just gently caress it up going alone.

It doesn't matter *that* much, but romulan tactical officer allied with the federation is optimal for your main.

You get enough alt slots to play through the fed story and klingon story intro bits, then use them as doffing/admiralty mules for the rest of time.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

rizzen posted:

Talaxian in a Malon Battlecruiser.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

It doesn't matter *that* much, but romulan tactical officer allied with the federation is optimal for your main.

You get enough alt slots to play through the fed story and klingon story intro bits, then use them as doffing/admiralty mules for the rest of time.

This sounds fairly accurate but just play whatever seems the most fun to you. Guaranteed it's endgame viable because STO isn't that fussy what you bring to the table.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

rizzen posted:

optimal choice for first time players

Don't.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DancingShade posted:

This sounds fairly accurate but just play whatever seems the most fun to you. Guaranteed it's endgame viable because STO isn't that fussy what you bring to the table.

Just... Don't play Engineer.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.

Twelve Elves posted:

Just... Don't play Engineer.

But Chroniton mines on the ground are OP

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Preechr posted:

No, that would be the one where the 5000-year-old tween descendant of Janeway carrying the Dax symbiote was sent back in time to gently caress James T. Kirk.

why do I remember this poo poo from a random pubbie bio

Because that random pubbie....was you.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DonDoodles posted:

A friend of Gary Stark's didn't believe NoPPS was a Dental-run channel and yelled at me on mic about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-gF4bPez4w

When he appealed his mute, Jojo held court to hear him out. It didn't go well.

[4/24 7:21] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: That we are trooling him an also other stuff as well an I have gone up to him an Defened my friend's an yet he dosen
[4/24 7:22] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: 't care him an his fellower's has put a friend of ours in a Hosptial again
[4/24 7:22] [Local] Rillina@Oesor: Tell us more about this Hosptial thing
[4/24 7:22] [Local] Jojo@lagomorphic: How Nbreeki put Anthony friend in hospital
[4/24 7:23] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: My friend has Serzer's or how ever you spell it an he know but he keept stobing him
[4/24 7:43] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: Nbreeki I have told you to Leave my Friend's alone you have lied to everyone bout us so you got you wish NOW LEAVE US ALONE
[4/24 7:44] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: I know this an I have already called the Police they are on there way to my House to see this
[4/24 7:45] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: I have 3 to 5 diffrent Charge's I can put on Nbreeki already
[4/24 7:45] [Local] Starlynn@captaingarystark: do it 1 internet stalking
[4/24 7:45] [Local] Starlynn@captaingarystark: 2 slander toward me
[4/24 7:45] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: That is the 2nd
[4/24 7:46] [Local] Anthony@swat842012: BRB there nocking at my Door
I just realized I inherited (i.e. You need a Platinum Account to view this message) this guy's KDF fleet a while back.

A fleet that now is a part of the glorious Non Organization Profit armada.

EDIT: And so is he.

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 5, 2016

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Which snowball gun is the best? If I am only going to buy one, are there any that stand out for both killing snowmen and slaying worms?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Tunicate posted:

What does RomFed get over RomKlink these days? I'm still working off old news where RomKlink was preferred for easier access to plasma leech.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Conskill posted:

I'm still working off old news where RomKlink was preferred for easier access to plasma leech.

Infinity box made leech actually cheaper for feds than klanks and both roms and kdf get reciprocity cheaper than feds, so it really probably doesn't matter which faction you ally with.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Romklinks get better uniforms if you care about space barbie.

Edit: Oh wonderful, Infinity R&D Packs

Going to be jollies to be had over the Zen market.

bij fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 5, 2016

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Fair enough! Thanks for the info folks.

I guess I need to post my thing here for access to the chat thing in game? Asherah#4932

bij
Feb 24, 2007

You've been invited.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pioneer42 posted:

Which snowball gun is the best? If I am only going to buy one, are there any that stand out for both killing snowmen and slaying worms?
I have no idea which is best for actually doing the content, I only play the fishing game because my daughter laughs when I get swallows by a gummi fish.

With that said, the caramel gun lets you shoot big brown blobs of goo at people, which pleases my inner child.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

g0del posted:

I have no idea which is best for actually doing the content, I only play the fishing game because my daughter laughs when I get swallows by a gummi fish.

With that said, the caramel gun lets you shoot big brown blobs of goo at people, which pleases my inner child.

You let your children into STO? Braver than me

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

g0del posted:

Thanks. I''m trying to limit myself to one because of how much of a clutter simulator this game has become.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
^^ Don't ever start collecting pets. Or kit modules. Or random gear sets. Or anything, really. There's never enough inventory space in this game.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

You let your children into STO? Braver than me
You can all stop reporting me to CPS, I don't let my kids play STO. I know what kind of people hang out in there. I just let my daughter watch while I run around doing silly stuff in the winter zone. She likes when I pop a disco ball at the end of the PVE race. I just don't tell her exactly why I'm celebrating at the end of the race.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

Mondian posted:

Infinity box made leech actually cheaper for feds than klanks and both roms and kdf get reciprocity cheaper than feds, so it really probably doesn't matter which faction you ally with.

Access to ESD, which is better than Kronos

A bunch of low level ships for admiralty

Better uniforms

Self respect

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Twelve Elves posted:

Access to ESD, which is better than Kronos

A bunch of low level ships for admiralty

Better uniforms

Self respect
We also used to recommend it because the necessary doffs for various builds were usually cheaper on the Fed side (and sometimes not available at all on KDF). But I have no idea if that's still true - I don't know if the infinity box changed things, or even what doffs are good nowadays - my old build still so vastly outclasses STF content that I haven't felt the need to update it in.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
KDF best DF.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The endgame content is exactly the same. Just base your picks on space barbie.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Aleth posted:

KDF best DF.

This man knows what's up.

Because

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rizzen posted:

Fair enough! Thanks for the info folks.

I guess I need to post my thing here for access to the chat thing in game? Asherah#4932

Beg someone for enough winter items to get the frosted boots on all your characters. The enhanced runspeed is a much needed QoL boost

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Potential BFF posted:

Romklinks get better uniforms if you care about space barbie.

Edit: Oh wonderful, Infinity R&D Packs

Going to be jollies to be had over the Zen market.

:rip:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tunicate posted:

Beg someone for enough winter items to get the frosted boots on all your characters. The enhanced runspeed is a much needed QoL boost

This... Also get a gun off the exchange or randomly craft it yourself with [RUN] mod it's a noticeable speed boost when you have the item equipped.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Borticus on reddit posted:

However, our economic data also shows that there is a surplus of unspent Refined Dilithium in the system that can be measured in 12-digit figures (hundreds of billions) ... so obviously it's not true for everyone. And that surplus grows at a rate higher than we are currently comfortable with.
A bit late on that, guys. :allears: This was posted a few months back so apparently the phoenix box things were in response to it. And probably why they're doing those infinity R&D packs immediately after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Burning_Monk posted:

This... Also get a gun off the exchange or randomly craft it yourself with [RUN] mod it's a noticeable speed boost when you have the item equipped.

Note hat it has to be in your hand to give the runspeed boost, not be in your offhand slot.

• Locked thread