Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
I keep getting told to get real boots (in this thread and elsewhere), then I google hiking boots for biking and see the 17 quintillion threads on that topic on various websites, then I see read various descriptions of injuries with accompanying pictures, then I want to keep these boots, then I wear them and see how inconvenient it will be.

Rinse, repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Keket posted:

Bought new boots, being an idiot didn't break them in properly and went for a long hike. fine all the way heading out, coming back it started to feel like someone was taking a steak knife to the back of my ankle.

Turned out there's a bit of support material over the heel that had a sharp edge, ended up covering the back of my boot in blood taking it off after it split the back of my ankle open.

Fun.

You bought the wrong boots mate. I mean you'll break em in and they will eventually stop cutting you up, but eventually you need to find the pair that you can do 10 mile ruck with pack and not even have the slightest irritation. For me its Belleville 340 boots. They make a non-flight variant that is cheaper and the same exact thing but its not fireproofed or flame retardant. I don't mind paying 140 bucks for a pair because they last about 2 years before they need resoled.

It took me about 4 years of buying boots every year to find the ones that work.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I may have missed you explaining this before, but why not just get a small tail bag to put proper hiking boots in and change shoes when you get to where you're going?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Deeters posted:

I may have missed you explaining this before, but why not just get a small tail bag to put proper hiking boots in and change shoes when you get to where you're going?

Yeah, I asked this to and I'd love an answer.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
A bag big enough to fit these boots? That I can then somehow secure for while I'm away?

That sounds like a lot of extra stuff. I dislike stuff. The more stuff and the bigger it is, the more I dislike it. And now you want me to carry around--and worry about the theft of--5 lbs of single purpose boot?

(I know, then I shouldn't have gotten a motorcycle.)

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

If it's too much of a hassle to be safe, maybe you should stick to public transit or something.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

carcinofuck posted:

A bag big enough to fit these boots? That I can then somehow secure for while I'm away?

That sounds like a lot of extra stuff. I dislike stuff. The more stuff and the bigger it is, the more I dislike it. And now you want me to carry around--and worry about the theft of--5 lbs of single purpose boot?

You can secure your tank bag to the bike and secure your tank bag so it can't be opened. I mean you'll have to carry keys to padlocks, and that might, like, impinge upon your freedom, but it still seems better than risking never walking again after your accident. :shrug:

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Endbuster posted:

You bought the wrong boots mate. I mean you'll break em in and they will eventually stop cutting you up, but eventually you need to find the pair that you can do 10 mile ruck with pack and not even have the slightest irritation. For me its Belleville 340 boots. They make a non-flight variant that is cheaper and the same exact thing but its not fireproofed or flame retardant. I don't mind paying 140 bucks for a pair because they last about 2 years before they need resoled.

It took me about 4 years of buying boots every year to find the ones that work.

Oh no i broke them in once i'd cleaned the blood out and they're now comfortible enough to walk around without socks in. They where just a bitch to get past the initial break in bit (and not wearing thick doubled-up socks during that time), this is like almost a decade ago anyway.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

carcinofuck posted:

Well, are you planning on carrying your helmet and jacket and whatever other gear around with you? And your bike itself is pretty easy to steal if you're parked at a random trailhead. I've seen locking sacks that you can stuff all that into and leave with the bike. This one was just one of the first I found.

I always liked the idea of going hiking from the bike but have never figured out a good way to do it without having big locking saddlebags.

Alternatively, get a Goldwing and have plenty of storage space.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Endbuster posted:

For me its Belleville 340 boots. They make a non-flight variant that is cheaper and the same exact thing but its not fireproofed or flame retardant. I don't mind paying 140 bucks for a pair because they last about 2 years before they need resoled.

You mean for hiking, right

Cause I also used to wear combat boots while motorcycling but then I was like, oh wait, these things fold over at the ankle and if I crash and get dragged along the road under 400lbs of motorcycle I want to be able to walk afterwards.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

You should post that in one of the fashion threads in YLLS if you're so confident.

lol have you seen what they wear in ylls

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Sagebrush posted:

You mean for hiking, right

Cause I also used to wear combat boots while motorcycling but then I was like, oh wait, these things fold over at the ankle and if I crash and get dragged along the road under 400lbs of motorcycle I want to be able to walk afterwards.

Ofc for hiking, or doing whatever. For getting hektik wear actual riding/mx/what-have-you. But he WAS talking about hiking.

Oh yeah when I was instructing MSF for Army I made it a point to tell them that they'd still break their ankles in a combat boot, even if it did meet regulation for motorcycling.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

lol have you seen what they wear in ylls

Some drop crotch motorcycle pants would be fabulous, now that you mention it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chichevache posted:

Yes, the same video that is literally just a few posts above yours.

Excuse me, but they look like a mix of lame hipster and even lamer steam punk. Maybe a little bit of goth for seasoning. What the gently caress kind of orthos is your pops wearing?

Edit
Lady Chiche calls them "Frankenstein Boots". :colbert:

Without commenting on their styling, let me just say please do not wear them with a suit.

High Protein posted:

Just wear MX boots 24/7.

:respek:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

builds character posted:

Without commenting on their styling, let me just say please do not wear them with a suit.

:lol: like I'd ever wear a suit.

And if I did: like I'd ever wear it on my motorcycle.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Chichevache posted:

:lol: like I'd ever wear a suit.

And if I did: like I'd ever wear it on my motorcycle.

My friend's wedding may have been a laughable waste of time, but it did give me the memory of a small group of Harley guys riding through a downpour in rented tuxedos. At least that was after the wedding.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

High Protein posted:

Just wear MX boots 24/7.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
I think I'm resigned to wearing motorcycle boots, but:

I wore the Formas on a ride and it was a pain in the rear end to shift. I then adjusted the height of the shifter which made it marginally better, but if I go any higher than it's real awkward to downshift. Which means the the boot has too much height at the toe. (And also its hards to kind of shift the boot laterally to get over/under the shifter).

I'm sure all stiffer shoes will have this problem to some degree, but my question is, are there boots that are better in this particular regard?

Edit: I looked it up and I'm not the only one with this problem, particularly with these boots. I'm gonna take the rubber off the shifter and see if it makes a difference.

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 3, 2016

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I had the same problem after I adjusted the lever up and just kept riding and it became a non issue for me. You get used to it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, all properly protective boots other than racing boots are gonna make it hard to feel at first. Takes maybe 10 hrs of riding and you're used to it.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, all properly protective boots other than racing boots are gonna make it hard to feel at first. Takes maybe 10 hrs of riding and you're used to it.

Well I just got back after a 2 hour ride. That means there's only 8 hours left to prove you a liar.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bring it

I have a pair of pretty cheap MX boots (Fly Maverik). They're way stiff and really not especially great boots at all, especially for a street bike. The bit over the left instep is stiff plastic. It took me a little bit of commuting and one long ride and everything was good. You'll get used to it pretty fast. It turns into muscle memory more so than actual direct feeling in your toe.

Naturally, the bulkier the boot, the more numb the shifter feedback, but every dirt/adv boot is going to have the same issue. So regardless, it's something you have to get over, not a boot-specific thing.

On the other hand, some shoes don't work on some feet and if your feet don't like em, find a pair they do like before you can't return them.

But the issues you've talked about the most are motorcycle boot issues and you won't get away from them.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks
Yeah for one I can't quite tell if I'm dragging the back brake a little with my right foot, and the left just feels like it's in a real awkward position sitting under the shifter, with such a drawn out motion to get it out and over to downshift.

I guess I'm just wondering that, if it's just a mx boot thing, and I've given up on hiking in em, it might not be better to get a pair that costs 150 instead of 250. Something with a lower toe box.

Also wondering about switching to another shifter that's a little less wide at the peg.

EDIT: does anyone have Gaerne Balance boots? I don't think they will be more comfortable than the Formas, and they look to have less protection, but they appear about as soft/flexible and a bit sleeker.

carcinofuck fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 4, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Move your feet back so the balls are on the pegs where they belong, not your arches/heels = no worrying about dragging your rear brake.

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

Jazzzzz posted:

Move your feet back so the balls are on the pegs where they belong, not your arches/heels = no worrying about dragging your rear brake.
Then toes point too far downwards and I have to fight the boots to flex at the ankle so that I can bring the left foot up to downshit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

carcinofuck posted:

Then toes point too far downwards and I have to fight the boots to flex at the ankle so that I can bring the left foot up to downshit.

Move the balls of your feet up onto the pegs anyway. If you cannot do this, change the ergos. The balls of your feet need to be on the pegs for a multitude of reasons. This excludes when you are just cruising down the road and feel like being super lazy, but it's specifically not how you are supposed to ride.

If you find a pair of riding shoes that is more minimal than the forma lows, provides decent protection, isn't cheap garbage, and costs the same or less than the formas, please let me know.

Alternatively, just buy a pair of these every six months and hate your life. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/cortech-vice-wp-riding-shoes
I had two pair, and they are like wearing cardboard compared to the formas. I thought they were ok, but I'd never owned nice riding shoes before. Other than the Dianese's, of course, which can die in an oil fire.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

You'll get used to them. Just don't use them on a street bike - wear street boots with them. I have two sets of boots. Street boots for street bikes, and sidi crossfire 2s for dirt style bikes. I can't ride my street bikes in the sidis.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I just ordered the alpinestars toucan boots as a local webshop had a 20% sale. My brother has a pair and I've tried them on. My old boots, tcx infinity non-metal buckle older version, feels so drat flimsy compared to them.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I really hate how amazing it feels to ride a street bike with a really simple pair of sneakers. Every time I pop on the bike with a pair of sneakers I hate how my boots feel like big thumbs all over again.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/dainese-tr-course-out-boots

I've been using these since Last Fall and they've been great all around boots.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Do winter-suitable leathers exist or is it all textile?

Colorado is plenty dry enough to ride almost every day of the winter but there are many sub freezing days. Windbreaker under mesh kinda works but I'm planning on real gear next paycheck or so.

I really don't know where to begin except adventure gear people wear while riding through mountain passes.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
It just throw a snowmobile jacket over my leather one. It's pretty poofy but works great. Cool magnetic zipper cover, too!

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
What about boots pants and gloves?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Anyone have a rough idea of how many liters of storage I'd need in a tail bag to store a jacket, pants, boots, and gloves? 20L enough?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

Anyone have a rough idea of how many liters of storage I'd need in a tail bag to store a jacket, pants, boots, and gloves? 20L enough?

Leather or textile? Shorty boots or full or MX? What kind of back protector in the jacket?

20L probably not enough. That's like a regular backpack, right? Get saddlebags. Stuff your gloves in your helmet.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Textile jacket but I may upgrade to leather soon, A* KR-1i back protector, regular sized boots. The problem is I have a 2007 Daytona 675 so my options for bags and luggage are extremely limited from what I can tell. Most of the bags you'll find are for the newer models. I did find someone that makes a pair of saddle bags for the bike, but they were $550 (and I can't find them right now). I don't commute to my own office, but to other people's offices, so I can't really just bring all my poo poo inside with me (and I need to be wearing a suit). I could always run a long locking cable through my jacket and part of the bike I guess, or do a tail bag plus a tank bag. I'm not super worried about leaving gear in a bag that's not locked for most of the places I visit (parking garages in high rise buildings), but maybe that's stupid.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

I really hate how amazing it feels to ride a street bike with a really simple pair of sneakers. Every time I pop on the bike with a pair of sneakers I hate how my boots feel like big thumbs all over again.
I feel the opposite, the shifts aren't as easy with non-stiff and lower uppers, the pegs feel odd on the bottom of the shoe etc

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

MomJeans420 posted:

Textile jacket but I may upgrade to leather soon, A* KR-1i back protector, regular sized boots. The problem is I have a 2007 Daytona 675 so my options for bags and luggage are extremely limited from what I can tell. Most of the bags you'll find are for the newer models. I did find someone that makes a pair of saddle bags for the bike, but they were $550 (and I can't find them right now). I don't commute to my own office, but to other people's offices, so I can't really just bring all my poo poo inside with me (and I need to be wearing a suit). I could always run a long locking cable through my jacket and part of the bike I guess, or do a tail bag plus a tank bag. I'm not super worried about leaving gear in a bag that's not locked for most of the places I visit (parking garages in high rise buildings), but maybe that's stupid.

If it's not hard shell luggage, whoever wants your poo poo can just cut the bag and take it out. I wouldn't leave it on the bike.

You'll need 35-40L of storage for all of that stuff depending on how well it packs down. Bump that higher if you add pants.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Space Whale posted:

What about boots pants and gloves?

I've never really cared about cold feet, so I just use my six year old A-Stars Scout WPs and thick socks. For gloves I just have a pair of crappy Sedici Massimo gloves (employee pricing was too good to pass up. I'll just warranty them out when I feel like it) but also have Oxford heated grips.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

its all nice on rice posted:

I've never really cared about cold feet, so I just use my six year old A-Stars Scout WPs and thick socks. For gloves I just have a pair of crappy Sedici Massimo gloves (employee pricing was too good to pass up. I'll just warranty them out when I feel like it) but also have Oxford heated grips.

I've had fingats/toes go numb riding in the mid 30s when foggy and misty with just tourmasters for boots and that weird crab claw overglove over some latigo RR gauntlet gloves. If it was below freezing that could lead to frostbike* and that's a no.

Winter daydreams of a sumo are the worst :(

*I caught the typo but left it

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Electric gear is honestly the best way to go when getting into lower numbers. The tops of my hands are a bit cold after riding with the grips, but they're noticeably warmer overall than if I didn't have the heat.
Electric insoles or (better) socks and either heated liners or gloves are great in cold weather.
Battery powered has come a long long way, but I but directly plugged into the bike is still the best. Almost all manufacturers make a battery tender adapter for their gear, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/dainese-tr-course-out-boots

I've been using these since Last Fall and they've been great all around boots.

I'm the complete opposite. I can't stand it. Hurts my toes/toes knuckle thing when I shift.