Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

1500quidporsche posted:

Who the gently caress has a funeral in Finland?

Finnish people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

Who the gently caress has a funeral in Finland?

Who the gently caress is Aki Hintsa?

Lotta Hintsa? Who the gently caress is

oh

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

They're pinky, they're Pinky and the Brain Brain Brain Brain...

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Who the gently caress is Aki Hintsa?

Lotta Hintsa? Who the gently caress is

oh

Ya I've changed my mind. I'd go to Finland for that funeral.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Every time I think about Rosberg retiring after the season is over, I realize yet another way it's messed up other drivers and teams. Feel free to ignore this brain dump, I don't claim any of this is really interesting or worthwhile, but I need to get it out.

Mercedes (ne Toto) needs to fill that seat, and has pretty specific requirements: they don't want a driver that will cause infighting with Lewis. They need someone who is a solid, top tier driver, even if he isn't experienced. They are late to the party, so whatever choice they make they are over a barrel about costs.

Ferrari now has to wonder if their earlier talk about Vettel not measuring up to his seat might come back at them. Vettel and Lewis on the same team isn't something mercedes would want to manage, but if Vettel is fed up, he might just agree to shut his mouth and do it. Dark horse: Kimi fits everything mercedes wants (easygoing, experienced, capable), and he's probably retiring in a year or two, meaning the seat will open up again for one of the younger drivers in the mercedes pipeline. Signing him would suddenly give ferrari the same problem mercedes has now, which Toto might actually find funny.

Redbull isn't voluntarily letting any of their drivers go. They have a deep driver development program, and letting a driver get poached would set a precedent they want to avoid. I don't think they will be involved in any of this, and mercedes really has nothing to offer them. Comedy option: Riccardio and Sainz to mercedes in exchange for Lewis and a pile of money to Redbull. Secretly, Riccardio has to be sorely tempted to try to jump, as being shown up by Max in 2017 is a real risk, and that would suck massively for him. Switching teams neatly sidesteps the potential.

Mclaren: Alonso has to be tempted, especially considering how poorly mclaren is showing right now. An Alonso vs Lewis re-match would make for great sport, but again, mercedes probably doesn't want to try managing that type of internal team dynamic. Stoffel could get sniped, but he probably doesn't have the contract flexibility that would allow him to leave easily. Honda is making the money decisions for this team, and they like Alonso a lot.

Renault: Poor Renault, they just spent the last half of 2016 treating their drivers like poo poo, and that has to be on the minds of both hulkenberg and palmer as they look ahead to future years. It all boils down to what mercedes could offer as an incentive. Renault might say no to everything, simply to try to curtail any mercedes dominance in 2017.

Force India: They are dependent on mercedes as an engine supplier, and both of their drivers are associated with the mercedes driver development program. Lots could happen, but mercedes may not be able to supply what they would actually need: a decent replacement driver.

Williams: Toto has seemingly ruled out Bottas, but it may come to that. Stroll is also possible, but he isn't proven at all. Williams really wants to climb back up to a top tier team but is often cash strapped. They might be the most bribe-able team, but that would hurt them down the line if they aren't very careful.

Haas: either driver could go. Haas could make a switch to mercedes power pretty easily, and could certainly use any price advantage that came with the switch. Might be too late in the 2017 development cycle, though. Grosjean might end up infighting with Lewis, though.

Manor: They effectively have nothing to offer, but might see one of their prospects get sniped, leaving them really in the lurch. Who would have thought we'd see the day where there are too few F1 drivers to go around. :/

Sauber: Too poor to change their car design for the 2016 ferrari engine, they might be very open to all sorts of assistance with engines, car design, and cash. Ericsson hasn't really shown much, though, and Wehrlein mercedes already has an option on. Sauber might get screwed without even a thank you.

There are a bunch of free-floating drivers, but most of them have washed out of other teams. Giving one of them a drive at mercedes would be amazing luck for the driver, but it would stick in both Toto's and Lauda's craw to sign someone they didn't feel was 100% deserving. They want to win races, not fill a job opening. Same problem with bringing someone up from GP3, etc, to say nothing of super license requirements.

I'm just glad this did happen in the off season when there is no TV coverage. If I had to listen to even one word of Martin Brundle speculating about this, I'd probably punch my TV. He probably won't shut up about whatever choice they make, when 2017 starts, but at least then he will have to swallow whatever has happened and won;'t be able to pretend he has any actual influence.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kimi isn't going anywhere. Ferrari are allegedly paying him some absurd amount of money to pootle about and make Vettel look mediocre, and seems largely unaffected by the Ferrari turbulence that is upsetting Vettel. Mind you, its hard to know what Kimi really thinks because Kimi is Kimi. He could be crying salty tears every night over how Ferrari is treating him but you'd never know it.

He'll probably keep going with Ferrari until he gets bored and retires for good.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Ferrari let Kimi go a year early and paid his salary anyways, then hired him back four years later for more money to be a number 2 driver and he's now beating the number 1. I'm sure he's laughing himself to sleep every night.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Carth Dookie posted:

Kimi isn't going anywhere. Ferrari are allegedly paying him some absurd amount of money to pootle about and make Vettel look mediocre, and seems largely unaffected by the Ferrari turbulence that is upsetting Vettel. Mind you, its hard to know what Kimi really thinks because Kimi is Kimi. He could be crying salty tears every night over how Ferrari is treating him but you'd never know it.

He'll probably keep going with Ferrari until he gets bored and retires for good.

1500quidporsche posted:

Ferrari let Kimi go a year early and paid his salary anyways, then hired him back four years later for more money to be a number 2 driver and he's now beating the number 1. I'm sure he's laughing himself to sleep every night.

Oh yeah, totally. He's getting paid well, has no pressure to be a standout performer, and recently married a hoty. Everything is coming up Raikkonnen. Still, he has no political affiliations, no reason to be loyal to a particular brand, and fits everything mercedes wants. Impossible not to mention the idea.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also, for the record, Aki Hintsa was McLaren's team doctor. Lotta was Miss Finland in 2013.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

Kimi don't care.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Powershift posted:

Kimi don't care.

When has Kimi ever cared?

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

iospace posted:

Also, for the record, Aki Hintsa was McLaren's team doctor. Lotta was Miss Finland in 2013.

Sounds like HAM is a class act that remembers an old friend, and is willing to fly to finland in december to say goodbye. A true champion.

Once again Rosberg WDC***

(first *: He only won because of his opponents unreliability)

(second *: He had the best car by a significant enough margin)

(third *: He bitched out of the sport before he could be shown up as the fraud we, and indeed he already knew that he was)

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 6, 2016

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
https://soundcloud.com/themonday-morning-podcast/mmpc-12-5-16#t=6:00

Bill Burr talks about Nico Rosberg

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

iospace posted:

When has Kimi ever cared?

Maybe when he got married.

Maybe

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

Maybe when he got married.

Maybe

Nope.

Car on fire won a race married someone whatever. Kimi don't care.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Nah in his wedding photos he almost looks like an actual human capable of emotion.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Nah in his wedding photos he almost looks like an actual human capable of emotion.

Literally bursting with emotion.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I did say "almost"

Edit: isn't he hoverhanding her in that picture?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Bwoah, good job there Kimi.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

*adjusts numbers* Hulk is our generation's Jarno Trulli?

He's this generation's Marc Surer.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to figure out who had the most points finishes without a win or podium using the old top 6 system.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Riso posted:

Does he have to use the long or the short arm?

:golfclap:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

EoRaptor posted:

Haas could make a switch to mercedes power pretty easily

Sometimes it seems like you guys are watching a completely different sport.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
I still think Alonso has a good shot at that Merc seat. To my mind he's the most likely to break contract and has the least to lose by doing so. Even if McLaren have gained some ground next year, it's highly unlikely they will be challenging the Mercedes.

Toto would be a fool to turn him down if he wanted the seat.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

MattD1zzl3 posted:

How many Robert Kubicas does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
It could be happening guys! Alonso to Mercedes isn't a firm no from the wolf.

Mercedes: Fernando Alonso could partner Lewis Hamilton - Toto Wolff
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/38219533

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Human Grand Prix posted:

He's this generation's Marc Surer.

He's going to end up punting a Group B car into a tree and exploding?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

thegasman2000 posted:

:lol:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

I did say "almost"

Yes.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's not a hover hand, he's just holding her gently you loving autists.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Alonso VS Hamilton part 2 wouldn't be that bitter. Alonso is in the twilight of his career and would just be happy to be able to podium a few more times

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I cant imagine he doesnt have a performance clause they arent even approching. Im not at all convinced however that mclaren wont be faster than mercedes. That would be the ultimate finish to fernando "11 year since a WDC" alonso, it would be the third team on a row he left before they went on a race-winning performance tear.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

He's past his best but he's doing pretty well for a guy who has been killed 2 or 3 times

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

thegasman2000 posted:

The actual quote: "You have to consider Fernando," Wolff told Sky Sports. "He is a driver I respect a lot. He combines talent, speed and experience. It's all there.""

So some lovely Sky journo asked him if they were considering Alonso and he gave a nonchalant response. Now that means They're definitely going to buy out Alonso's contract?? :lol:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it is more interesting that Toto said that weren't going to stick the new driver in as the #2, but again that could just be lip service.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Remember not just hover-hand but jizzy-pants, too.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Tsaedje posted:

The actual quote: "You have to consider Fernando," Wolff told Sky Sports. "He is a driver I respect a lot. He combines talent, speed and experience. It's all there.""

So some lovely Sky journo asked him if they were considering Alonso and he gave a nonchalant response. Now that means They're definitely going to buy out Alonso's contract?? :lol:

If Ron Dennis is to be believed, there were no escape clauses in Alonso's McLaren contract and it is properly ironclad. If that really is the case, I doubt McLaren would easily be tempted by the prospect of buying out his final year given that the road car and technology business sustains the F1 team even without a title sponsor.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Carth Dookie posted:

I did say "almost"

Yes, as Khablam illustrated above. I guess he didn't want to mess up her... lower back makeup...? Actually now that I think about it, it would be hilarious if she really had a tramp stamp covered up.

MZ posted:

I still think Alonso has a good shot at that Merc seat. To my mind he's the most likely to break contract and has the least to lose by doing so. Even if McLaren have gained some ground next year, it's highly unlikely they will be challenging the Mercedes.

Toto would be a fool to turn him down if he wanted the seat.

Alonso has a giant samurai tattoo on his back, I think he likes working for the only Japanese engine provider just fine. Also, he seems to enjoy ripping around the track in NSX'es and Honda bikes for kicks.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Remember not just hover-hand but jizzy-pants, too.

Worst thread :gas: :sad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
We got to page 22 this time. Good job lads.

• Locked thread