Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Panic melee is a new term to me, but it perfectly describes the bane of every FPS for me. Mapping melee to the loving R3 makes me accidentally click it when someone slightly startles me by popping out of nowhere and I die because of it at least once or twice a round and games rarely let me remap it. Once in a while it makes me look like an on point badass though when I jump off a building and someone is running below me or something though.

I honestly hate the melee in this game though. I hate how spotty the hit detection is, I hate that it's a one hit kill, and if you both are punching each other and you die it usually feels like you got robbed. I'm really over melee being an insta kill button in FPS.

absolutely, i don't understand why i cancel shooting or reloading into melee so often and it saddens me.

the execute / backstab is a good mechanic to shame roof / corner campers but the melee being a 1 shot and as slow as it is to balance that out feels bad :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

zolthorg posted:

the melee being a 1 shot and as slow as it is to balance that out feels bad :shrug:

At least it's faster than the glacial twinkletoes skip-kick of TF1

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I had a video of another pilot and I frantically trying to melee each other for fifteen seconds that I seem to have deleted. I did find this, though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QVDvAihGmQ

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I'm a console baby but I'm trying out the video features on this Xbox One.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCAFTecXJrk

Yes I'm using tone. I do love Ronin right now though. Finally getting the hang of Ronin and its a lot of fun to charge someone.

E: The worst feeling as far as loving up melee's goes is when you try to sneak on a guy and miss, then you still get a second chance to melee and still miss.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
RE: Low Profile talk

Here the first ejecting pilot equipped cloak but didn't have low profile.

This pilot cloaked with low profile and I was only able to catch him through tracking him before he hit cloak and mostly luck.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

soggybagel posted:

E: The worst feeling as far as loving up melee's goes is when you try to sneak on a guy and miss, then you still get a second chance to melee and still miss.

I managed to sneak up on someone and miss an EPG shot and then a melee, we both danced and jumped around for a good 5 seconds trying to melee each other with him somehow ending up behind me and doing an execute.

Demicol fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 6, 2016

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

I had that same situation party night except i was the one that somehow ended up doing the execute from the front. That's how it seemed at least in my screen.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Condoleezza Nice! posted:

I use Kill Report :shepface:
I just hold my controller upside down.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Demicol posted:

I managed to sneak up on someone and miss an EPG shot and then a melee, we both danced and jumped around for a good 5 seconds trying to melee each other with him somehow ending up behind me and doing an execute.

I basically had the same things happen minus the execute. Neither of us could land hits and we were just running around and bouncing off the walls of this tiny room, wiffing melees It was pretty hilarious.

On a separate occasion, some dude managed to trigger an execution from the front, causing the game to awkwardly teleport him behind me so the animation would play right.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I bought this game because they released a video and blog where they touted their new, superior matchmaking and specifically called out their new skill component - and IMO it's an almost total failure, making good matches about 1/6th of the time. I would prefer that be around 50%. I'm not asking for miracles here - matchmaking is hard and there are temporal and geographical realities - but it's a continuum and they're on the wrong side of it. When there's 2k people active in my region and mode and they put me into yet another stomp match I have to wonder what the hell is going on.

Edit: Anyway I'm done yackin' about this, either they'll fix it or they won't. Let's hope for the former.

I'm curious how you think match making should play out with modes like BH and Attrition where the robots are there to almost help you balance out the differentials. I get it for Pilots vs Pilots or LTS but most of the other modes feel like they would be difficult to balance. Even then for LTS what are you using to evaluate? KD/R with a particular titan? Efficiency? It would surprise me if the addition of the stats page indicates they are working towards something, but there are so many variables.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

^burtle posted:

Even then for LTS what are you using to evaluate?

# of times you've picked Tone.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Lumpy posted:

# of times you've picked Tone.

Just trying to let my besties play Northstar. :(

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

^burtle posted:

I'm curious how you think match making should play out with modes like BH and Attrition where the robots are there to almost help you balance out the differentials.

I don't follow this. AI is there as a bone for the bad players so that they can feel they contribute. This was a stated design goal all the way back on Titanfall 1. They don't skill balance anything and aren't a threat to anyone but the most rank amateur, newest player. (your occasional buck-wild Reaper excepted). They are there for ambiance and to help bad players feel good about themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this but calling them a "balance to the differentials" is wrong.

The answer to your question is "match making should play out by matching players of similar ability together". Regardless of mode, regardless of bots on the field, your opponents should be *relatively* near your skill level. There should not be huge intra-match variances in skills. For example, if each team has one guy with 35 kills and 90% of the team's points and the rest of the team has made no meaningful contributions, that is a "balanced" match in terms of player skill at the team level, but at the individual level it's an utter failure.

Again, I don't expect miracles. I would expect to see balanced matches 50% of the time. With a huge influx of players over the free weekend, my matches actually got substantially worse and I spent nearly the entire time getting matched against stacks of players who were individually better than me by a lot, better than anyone on my team, and as a group were absolutely unstoppable. And I'm totally at the mercy of their matchmaker...which is why getting it right is so important. There's no alternative. It's not like in the old Quake days where I could have a list of servers with decent opposition while clans kept mostly to their own servers for scrimmages and tournies.

Edit: I was wrong, there is an alternative, I could do private matches with 9 other players of similar skill. Pretty drat tough though.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 6, 2016

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Northstar's really starting to grow on me, actually. Her railgun really ought to be hitscan but there's nothing more satisfying than one-shotting an overconfident doomed Titan from across the map. :hellyeah:

Plus, you can make her look like Mike Wazowksi:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bought game because Titanfall was fun even if there were less than 300 people playing at a time.

Having fun, tons of poo poo everywhere, shotgun is enjoyable, still have no idea what to do in Titans.

7/10

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

ninjahedgehog posted:

Northstar's really starting to grow on me, actually. Her railgun really ought to be hitscan but there's nothing more satisfying than one-shotting an overconfident doomed Titan from across the map. :hellyeah:

Northstar is really fun and the viper thruster changes have made it my favorite Titan

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

I saw someone say that LMG's do straight damage to titans, is that true? Does the Kraber? Or are they both crit-only like other guns? I feel like if the Kraber isn't effective anti-titan, it's way outmatched by every semi-auto rifle, including the Hemlock.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

A lot of complaining

Possibly this isn't the game for you

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

ZeusCannon posted:

Possibly this isn't the game for you

Equating matchmaking with the actual gameplay is very interesting.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

I don't follow this. AI is there as a bone for the bad players so that they can feel they contribute. This was a stated design goal all the way back on Titanfall 1. They don't skill balance anything and aren't a threat to anyone but the most rank amateur, newest player. (your occasional buck-wild Reaper excepted). They are there for ambiance and to help bad players feel good about themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with this but calling them a "balance to the differentials" is wrong.

The answer to your question is "match making should play out by matching players of similar ability together". Regardless of mode, regardless of bots on the field, your opponents should be *relatively* near your skill level. There should not be huge intra-match variances in skills. For example, if each team has one guy with 35 kills and 90% of the team's points and the rest of the team has made no meaningful contributions, that is a "balanced" match in terms of player skill at the team level, but at the individual level it's an utter failure.

Again, I don't expect miracles. I would expect to see balanced matches 50% of the time. With a huge influx of players over the free weekend, my matches actually got substantially worse and I spent nearly the entire time getting matched against stacks of players who were individually better than me by a lot, better than anyone on my team, and as a group were absolutely unstoppable. And I'm totally at the mercy of their matchmaker...which is why getting it right is so important. There's no alternative. It's not like in the old Quake days where I could have a list of servers with decent opposition while clans kept mostly to their own servers for scrimmages and tournies.

The system definitely got hosed during the free weekend, but this is a side effect off there being a massive influx of zero skill players. I don't mean people were bad, but they have no skill history.

I play solo, and I watch the matchmaking. I'm one of those 30 pilot kills 5 titans kill players. 99% of the time, I see a player of equivalent skill on the other team.

In my experience, overall the matchmaking is pretty good

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Skyscraper posted:

I saw someone say that LMG's do straight damage to titans, is that true? Does the Kraber? Or are they both crit-only like other guns? I feel like if the Kraber isn't effective anti-titan, it's way outmatched by every semi-auto rifle, including the Hemlock.

They're both crit only. The Kraber was bugged for a while and could shoot through Titan dome shields but that has been fixed.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Aw. Well, that's unfortunate, but about what I had expected. Thanks!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/SixerMason/status/806218131081428993

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

The fact that everyone continually preaches "going fast" as the cure for everything in this game is really annoying.

If you're up against better players - and you will be, because this game has really lovely matchmaking - going fast isn't going to help you all that much. They're going fast too, and they have better aim than you. Unless you want to zip around and die constantly and gently caress over 5 other players you have to meet them on their own terms.

Go fast to get a better position. Shoot, then get the gently caress out of the blip that some dummy is definitely running straight toward. Fast aiming is for youngins, fast positioning is for smarties. Avoid those that are both.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

ninjahedgehog posted:

Northstar 100% has the coolest nose art.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

I wish I could buy this :sigh:

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

zolthorg posted:

kill report tells you literally nothing interesting because in the time you can get to any location of an orange skull they might have actually respawned in that exact corner/hallway and ambush you

you should always be operating under the pretense that enemies are coming to get you and you can always see your teams skull markers anyways which are equally useless except for seeing all the idiots die to nuke eject

Kill report is really useful. If your chasing a guy down and notice a death marker on your screen around a corner you lost him behind you know he's dead. I also use it often with pulse blade to get a better sense of who's dead and who's still kicking. You can see bodies through walls then see if they're dead with an icon. Very useful perk.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Antoine Silvere posted:

I will wait forever for a hoodie that looks like Tone with a matching t shirt with a pilot sitting at the controls.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antoine Silvere posted:

You can make it for like, $40. :v:

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

You can make it for like, $40. :v:

Is there a guide up somewhere? If I knew what parts/kits to buy I would definitely do it

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfL-_3rpIaw

Nobody gets out on my watch.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Antoine Silvere posted:

Is there a guide up somewhere? If I knew what parts/kits to buy I would definitely do it

No, but at a glance that's a Ball on top of most of a Graze, with maybe some Barbatos parts, so fairly easy to make. The backpack looks like it's kitbashed using some of the weapon addon kits.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Skyscraper posted:

Aw. Well, that's unfortunate, but about what I had expected. Thanks!

Ya it's pretty ineffective. Even the devotion with a-wall hardly does anything. I only do it to distract/annoy or if they're really low

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

My favorite part about denying extracts is you don't get a bonus for doing so, you just deny a merit from the other guys

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

No, but at a glance that's a Ball on top of most of a Graze, with maybe some Barbatos parts, so fairly easy to make. The backpack looks like it's kitbashed using some of the weapon addon kits.

Ugh I don't want to have to use my brain to make this :mad:

(Thanks)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ball is the best gundam

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm at work but someone should post those awesome lego titans.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

veni veni veni posted:

I'm at work but someone should post those awesome lego titans.

please

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Demicol posted:

What's the best Titan to just leave on Auto while I go around killing other Titans?
Also I wish you could spectate your auto-titan at the epilogue if you're dead.

depends on the game mode but for amped hardpoint once i get a titan, i just rock defence and drop scorch nearby to chip in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Wazzit posted:

Passed 5000 laser shot kills with the Ion Laser this weekend. :shepface:

Jesus Christ

The fact that everyone continually preaches "going fast" as the cure for everything in this game is really annoying.

If you're up against better players - and you will be, because this game has really lovely matchmaking - going fast isn't going to help you all that much. They're going fast too, and they have better aim than you. Unless you want to zip around and die constantly and gently caress over 5 other players you have to meet them on their own terms.

Situational awareness is really important. Stopping anywhere that's exposed for more than a moment is a good way to get killed from across the map, but not all engagements require you to jump around on walls. The more you move while you're trying to shoot someone, the worse your aim is going to be.