Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWN7PVXncQM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

i think i took this picture like ten years ago

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Shaggar posted:

lol. how do Canadians suck so hard at snow?

we barely had snow last year, our instincts have been dulled

plus a bunch of idiots probably didn't put their snow tires on yet

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

the Poe's Law singularity is upon is. Parody is reality.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

fourteen hours of sleep per day seems like a lot, but what do i know :shrug:

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
happy tuesday yospos

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

b& for sincere redditoring

modddddddddssssssssssssssssss

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Improbable Lobster posted:

we barely had snow last year, our instincts have been dulled

plus a bunch of idiots probably didn't put their snow tires on yet

that crap was headed our way (city of the worlds most pathetic football team) but they revised the forecast to just rain now instead of sleet/freezing rain/snow. that poo poo's solid ice. unless you have snowtires with studs, there is no tire on the planet that will stop you on glare ice. it's real life frictionless GTA. i've been in that situation a bunch of times and there is absolutely zero you can do. touch any control at all, and it just makes it worse, so clench up the anus and ride it out.

the vids are fun to watch though, it's like a terrifying slow motion vehicular destruction ballet or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTCkUV7pWMg

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Shaggar posted:

lol. how do Canadians suck so hard at snow?
it's mostly just the big cities that are terrible at it. once you get out of the top 20 or so population centres, everyone else is still laughing at toronto for calling in the national guard when it snowed too much

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

cannot tell if that's a parody or not

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

prefect posted:

cannot tell if that's a parody or not

Poe be upon him

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Poe be upon him

to be fair, i would also not be able to tell if it were a parody with a televangelist instead of a bearded guy in a robe. i think it was jerry falwell who said that hurricane katrina was punishment for lesbians and/or abortions

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

that was cool until the weird annoying freak appeared

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

that was cool until the weird annoying freak appeared

gonna get hosted by my own retard here

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/AlmightyBoob/status/805891102733500416

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i just saw jonathan frakes when i was eating at a hotel bar a couple weeks ago he was like ten feet away didnt bother him tho

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

LastInLine posted:

i just saw jonathan frakes when i was eating at a hotel bar a couple weeks ago he was like ten feet away didnt bother him tho
you did real good

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

2016 Riker looks like Starfleet command just caught him hotboxing the command deck.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Shoulda gone up to him and said "I hope the that the force is with you"

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

gonna get hosted by my own retard here

nice

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Syncopated posted:

lomarf

now record and put it online

ok maybe
i'm flying to the canary islands tonight but recorded a voice track earlier today so hold thumbs and maybe yours will be a merry yosmas

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DrPossum posted:

happy tuesday yospos

do you have one that's millenials vs olds and boomers?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

im about halfway through season 1 and it's so lopsided

Picards character changes all the time from angry old man to stern commander to compassionate - it's schizo

just finished the one where some guy takes a thing that makes him younger and younger until he sweats to death :3:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

im about halfway through season 1 and it's so lopsided

Picards character changes all the time from angry old man to stern commander to compassionate - it's schizo

just finished the one where some guy takes a thing that makes him younger and younger until he sweats to death :3:

skip to season 3

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
season 1 is bad

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

DrPossum posted:

happy tuesday yospos

On what scale is this measured? Is green like ur a guy that runs gentoo? Or?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Scott Forstall posted:

season 1 is bad

haha yeah but seriously it's just all bad

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

if you ever watch any star trek like "oh yeah this is going to be good any time now" you'll just end up disappointed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Jerry Cotton posted:

if you ever watch any star trek like "oh yeah this is going to be good any time now" you'll just end up disappointed.

gently caress

im determined to watch em all -- no matter how bad

then i can rewatch DS9 which i loved

and maybe... give voyager a chance

a friend of mine has a signed picture of robert picardo and like a dick i said to her, "isnt that the most poo poo series?"

..."actually vintersorg -- it's good!!"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

if you ever watch any star trek ... you'll just end up disappointed.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress

a friend of mine has a signed picture of robert picardo and like a dick i said to her, "isnt that the most poo poo series?"

he was the holodoctor, right? i remember thinking he was the coolest person on that show

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

don't.

remember really. really bad TOS episodes like 'spock's brain'?

voyager is nothing but multiple seasons of making spock's brain look like the best piece of entertainment ever created by human beings.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 6, 2016

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

du -hast posted:

i imagine it's people who when faced with computer problem can manage to use google to try and resolve it

purple are people who powercycle devices but can't manage problem solving

yellow can install useful programs and malware

red can use programs and install malware

grey can, well nothing of use to society probably

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

du -hast posted:

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/computer-skill-levels/ is where it's from

here's level 3:

quote:

The tasks ranged in difficulty from very straightforward to somewhat complicated. One of the easy tasks was to use the reply-all feature for an email program to send a response to three people. This was easy because the problem was explicit and involved a single step and a single constraint (the three people).
One of the difficult tasks was to schedule a meeting room in a scheduling application, using information contained in several email messages. This was difficult because the problem statement was implicit and involved multiple steps and multiple constraints. It would have been much easier to solve the explicitly stated problem of booking room A for Wednesday at 3pm, but having to determine the ultimate need based on piecing together many pieces of info from across separate applications made this a difficult job for many users.
Even the supposedly difficult tasks don’t sound that hard and I certainly expect all of my readers to be able to perform them speedily and with a high degree of confidence. However, my entire point is that just because you can do it, it doesn’t mean that the average user can do so as well.
Level 3 = 5% of Adult Population
This is what this most-skilled group of people can do: “At this level, tasks typically require the use of both generic and more specific technology applications. Some navigation across pages and applications is required to solve the problem. The use of tools (e.g. a sort function) is required to make progress towards the solution. The task may involve multiple steps and operators. The goal of the problem may have to be defined by the respondent, and the criteria to be met may or may not be explicit. There are typically high monitoring demands. Unexpected outcomes and impasses are likely to occur. The task may require evaluating the relevance and reliability of information in order to discard distractors. Integration and inferential reasoning may be needed to a large extent.”
The meeting room task described above requires level-3 skills. Another example of level-3 task is “You want to know what percentage of the emails sent by John Smith last month were about sustainability.”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

surprise surprise it's not a very definitive metric/study. anyone reading it at all is expected to be level 3

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gently caress that; i don't do mass e-mails or office scheduling. you might as well ask me to replace the manifold in my car

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress

EVEN THE STAR TREK HOLIDAY SPECIAL?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

oh ok so skilled computer use in this context means that you can use outlook or whatever semi competently

... i guess that's probably about right :(

• Locked thread