Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Funky Valentine posted:

The Digimon dub is a national treasure and its honor must never be questioned.

It's very stupid and I love it from the bottom of my heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Tamers dub was legit good

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wonder what would happen if Something Awful was dubbed.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Raxivace posted:

All of Josuke Higashikata's posts would just say "Joe" next to them, and the ":justpost:" would say "SPECIAL BEAM CANNON" instead.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hi I am forums user August nice to meet you.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The Bee posted:

The entire Briefs family.

nope, doesn't count!

the most hosed up thing in dragonball is that brief is the guy's first/only name

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 6, 2016

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I would speak in increasingly forced rhyming couplets.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

projecthalaxy posted:

Ita much more faithful than Kasumi and Takeshi becoming Misty amd Brock for instance.

Sure, but that's a pretty bad example because Misty and Brock is what their names were changed to in the games first, because every pokemon's name and every gym leader's name are weird puns/portmanteaus. 4Kids was just being faithful to the source material with that one.

A better example would be almost all of Yugi's friends from Yu-Gi-Oh! having their names changed to Joey, Tristan, Tea, etc. Not to mention in GX there's a super-buff dude with a normal gruff-sounding voice in the Japanese version, and then 4Kids decided that he needed to sound like a 4-year-old throwing a tantrum in the dub for no reason. God, the 4Kids dub of YGO is so, so bad.

Xad fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 6, 2016

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Don't forget Jaden was originally Judai

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Xad posted:

Sure, but that's a pretty bad example because Misty and Brock is what their names were changed to in the games first, because every pokemon's name and every gym leader's name are weird puns/portmanteaus. 4Kids was just being faithful to the source material with that one.

A better example would be almost all of Yugi's friends from Yu-Gi-Oh! having their names changed to Joey, Tristan, Tea, etc. Not to mention in GX there's a super-buff dude with a normal gruff-sounding voice in the Japanese version, and then 4Kids decided that he needed to sound like a 4-year-old throwing a tantrum in the dub for no reason. God, the 4Kids dub of YGO is so, so bad.

The yugioh dubs are the sole and solitary good things that 4kids ever did.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

deadly_pudding posted:

All of Josuke Higashikata's posts would just say "Joe" next to them, and the ":justpost:" would say "SPECIAL BEAM CANNON" instead.
HFILdump

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The yugioh dubs are the sole and solitary good things that 4kids ever did.

There was also the Ultimate Muscle dub.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

Even then, weeaboos have an impossibly high standard toward english dubs to begin with. I think the only dub they can collectively agree upon was good is cowboy bebop.

Fooly Cooly as well

Neo_Crimson posted:

No they loving didn't. They either shortened their names to sound more western (Taichi to Tai), or outright changed them (Matt, TK). Also, while they were clearly in Tokyo they never said it outright and dodged around the question that they were Japanese.

projecthalaxy posted:

I mean all the names are at least just shortenings of the japanese names
Taichi = Tai
Yamato = Matt
Takeru = T K
Hikari = Kari.

Ita much more faithful than Kasumi and Takeshi becoming Misty amd Brock for instance.

More to the point, they take time out briefly in the first episode to show that the shortened names are nicknames, and give their Japanese first names there. Trust me, that matters- I was the actual right age group for that show (as opposed to a lot of other poo poo I watched at the time) and I caught onto that immediately.

Joe and Kari are like the only ones who didn't get that but Joe is super arguable what his Japanese name actually translates to- most likely either Jo, or, well, Joe- and Kari is already a Japanese as gently caress name.

Then you get to season 2 and they don't even bother with that anymore.

Tamers is a weird one because Takato is kept, Ruka was changed to Rika, and then they just gave up with Henry's family.

And yeah, the first dub is a treasure- the Tamers dub is legit good and I think it's better than the Japanese version due to the voices.

The only regret for the first dub is the music is trash. People talk about Butterfly but the real shame was missing out on this music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTBNvgIzPJs

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It sucks that arcane voice actor union stuff prevents the tri dubs from getting the whole cast back together.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe
The dub for Digimon is a goddamn national treasure, and I refuse to hear otherwise.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

It sucks that arcane voice actor union stuff prevents the tri dubs from getting the whole cast back together.

I wish they would do a 2016 version of the season one dub. Like a digimon crashes through the wall and they start yelling about Dat Boi.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Xad posted:

That guy was meant to sound like Mike Tyson, I'm pretty sure, since they were dueling in a boxing ring.

Also the GX dub was brilliant and knew it was a show about loving card games.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I grew up on dubs but Granny Goku is cool with me

like, I remember Goku going SSJ3 in like 2003 was the hypest poo poo, it literally took a whole episode for him to transform. ah, memories

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I don't mind Nozawa as Goku in and of itself, but I think they got lazy as hell when she was also casted as Gohan, Goten, and Bardock.

Nozawa as Goku Black is still her best performance.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yu gi oh gx is hilarious and it's completely self aware.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

I don't mind Nozawa as Goku in and of itself, but I think they got lazy as hell when she was also casted as Gohan, Goten, and Bardock.

Nozawa as Goku Black is still her best performance.

This isn't just my exact opinion, it's also the best opinion to have.

The Funimation dub is also very good. I hear good things about the Spanish dub but haven't heard it myself so I cannot confirm.

I grew up on the Ocean dub, and, uh, it's,,,

EDIt: actually nozawa sounds just fine as goten

Skeleton Mom fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 6, 2016

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

projecthalaxy posted:

I wish they would do a 2016 version of the season one dub. Like a digimon crashes through the wall and they start yelling about Dat Boi.

Those are called abridged series and they've been around for years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Xad posted:

The GX dub is much better than it's original counterpart.

As it takes an anime about card games as serious as one should.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

projecthalaxy posted:

Doesn't Kasumi translate to Mist? I'd say that's a good localization.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Did the GX dub ever make it to the part of the series where things get ridiculously emo?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
What would the DBZ crew be called if their names were Americanized?

I'm thinking Goku would be Clark because of some smug-rear end assistant editor, Gohan would be Joey, and Krillin would have two initials that don't stand for anything. TJ, probably.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

They'd just be vaguely American type names that can fit the same lipflaps as the Japanese ones. The lipflaps are the most important part of translating anime in the 90s, more than having things be similar at all. So Goku is Marcus or whatever, just because it fits the lipflaps and sounds normal to the tiny American children. That and giving anyone non-human some weird name that has nothing to do with their Japanese one to make them seem even weirder for no reason. Piccolo becomes Zorgolog, evil space alien who constantly mentions he is from space. Chiaotzu ends up being rewritten as Tien's magical ventriloquist dummy Mini Man, and they recolor him to look like wood so when he explodes it's not so violent.

That kind of stuff.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

HitTheTargets posted:

What would the DBZ crew be called if their names were Americanized?

I'm thinking Goku would be Clark because of some smug-rear end assistant editor, Gohan would be Joey, and Krillin would have two initials that don't stand for anything. TJ, probably.

We already know that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Whiskers the Wonder Cat" is frankly a much better name.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Did someone say Digimon?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxPsucXGkm4

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Roshi would be called "Grampa", that's the only thing I'm sure about. Vegeta would probably be called "Damian" or something.

Which character would get a Brooklyn (?) accent? That's something they used to do a lot when they did Americanised dubs (c.f. Naru / Molly in Sailor Moon).

I think Slayers had a great dub, but only really once Crispin Freeman starts voicing Zelgadis.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ImpAtom posted:

"Whiskers the Wonder Cat" is frankly a much better name.

Wow I thought TFS made that up.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The Brooklyn Accent thing seems to be for the Kansai dialect. Or they use a Southern one.

e: apparently Japanese Goku talks like a bit of a hick.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 7, 2016

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Kelp Plankton posted:

The lipflaps are the most important part of translating anime in the 90s

This is a thing funimation still kinda does and it's the only thing about their dubs that bother me. Characters will say "now" or "and" all the time to fill in lip flaps for a lost syllable in translation (like 'Whis' coming from 'U-I-Su") and as someone who is more familiar with the Japanese dubs it bothers you after a while. That's more of a pet peeve than anything though, they've really improved a ton since they began.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wow I thought TFS made that up.

Team four star know the absolute poo poo out of their dragonball history.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Caros posted:

Team four star know the absolute poo poo out of their dragonball history.

Have they put any references to the Speedy dub in anywhere? That would be a hoot.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I know it is the common accepted industry term and also very clear but its still a bit ailly to me that "lipflap" is the term for that. We need to work on the lipflaps, boys, we're professionals.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing that's sort of amusing about the DBZ DVD sets I have (waiting for season four to arrive, which is Garlic Jr. and Trunks) is that they never change the opening or closing titles, so all the way through you've got opening credits with Vegeta and Nappa as the main villains ending on a group shot with Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Yamcha, Tien, Chiaotzu and Roshi, then the closing credits are entirely focused on Gohan and have all these shots from Dragon Ball with Launch, Yajirobe, Oolong and Puar all featured prominently.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Yu gi oh gx is hilarious and it's completely self aware.

https://a.pomf.cat/vyqmve.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/nydlpu.webm

https://a.pomf.cat/mtqnln.webm

and sean schemmel's greatest role

https://a.pomf.cat/qemyps.webm

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

YggiDee posted:

The Brooklyn Accent thing seems to be for the Kansai dialect. Or they use a Southern one.

e: apparently Japanese Goku talks like a bit of a hick.

he talks a lot like a hick, he and Chi-Chi both

Gohan and Goten both somehow escape this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"Kuririn was changed to Bongo"
:wtc:

• Locked thread