Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

an adult beverage posted:

Yeah you're right. Man, Barry Alvarez must be a really annoying piece of poo poo.

Barry Alvarez seems like the guy who is too hands on and pretends he is still the coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's only because he is still the coach

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/805980860214177792

https://twitter.com/johncanzanobft/status/805937499600089090

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Gary Anderson had a statue of Barry Alvarez in his office and I'm very sure that was not because Gary Anderson wanted it there.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

imagine having a statue in your office that could, at any moment, come alive through dark alchemy and coach a bowl game

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

big money big clit posted:

Gary Anderson had a statue of Barry Alvarez in his office and I'm very sure that was not because Gary Anderson wanted it there.

Please tell me there was a speaker installed in the statue's mouth so that Barry Alvarez could use it to tell Gary Anderson what to do. That would be the best :shobon:

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I found video of the statue
https://youtu.be/jiguDe8ZZQQ

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I don't understand the MacElwain hate. He completely turned the CSU program around pretty quickly. And then he quickly turned Florida from an unranked team to a top 15 team. Sure, the offense sucks but it sucked before he got there too and didn't his starting qb miss the year due to injury?

It's a weird fit for Oregon, but I don't look forward to the prospect of having to play against him again.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrunkPanda posted:

I don't understand the MacElwain hate. He completely turned the CSU program around pretty quickly. And then he quickly turned Florida from an unranked team to a top 15 team. Sure, the offense sucks but it sucked before he got there too and didn't his starting qb miss the year due to injury?

It's a weird fit for Oregon, but I don't look forward to the prospect of having to play against him again.

The problem is it still kinda feels like Muschamp's good years, where the team never felt/looked as good as its record showed, and that eventually caught up to them.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

big money big clit posted:

Until Barry Alvarez retires, I'm pretty sure every coach there is gonna eventually chafe and leave. Paul Chryst is a favored son of Wisconsin so it may be that he's the one that tolerates Alvarez long enough.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

DrunkPanda posted:

Yeah, but this guy is an 'offensive guru' and he hasn't been able to generate anything. He started with a stacked deck for sure, and my feelings are deeply conflicted. I think he could ultimately be successful here. But drat. 127/128th in Redzone O and 120th overall? With UF's athletes?

I get bad luck, but gently caress me. Our offense even looks horrible against poo poo competition.

I don't hate Mac or whatever. I'm pulling hard for him to succeed because I like him. But recruiting has fallen off a cliff along with this lack of offensive production and it makes it look unlikely that we will seriously challenge Bama for the SEC in the next 3-5 years with this trajectory.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Bret McMurphy saying Mike Gundy is not a candidate for Baylor.

And in "hilarious if it wasn't so sad" news:

FB Scoops posted:

Baylor: Last night we wrote that Baylor and A-State head coach Blake Anderson had begun negotiating, noting that the deal is not done. Reps have since alerted us to contract language in Anderson’s contract with A-State precluding him from being able to engage in direct talks without prior consent which they had not sought as of last night. Our understanding is that several coaches, typically through their agents, have discussed terms of a deal with Baylor only to have the deal then fizzle.

Baylor still can't figure out consent.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Until Barry Alvarez retires, I'm pretty sure every coach there is gonna eventually chafe and leave. Paul Chryst is a favored son of Wisconsin so it may be that he's the one that tolerates Alvarez long enough.

Yeah, but wasn't Beliema once Alvarez's hand-picked golden boy?

In other news, Penn State's OC, Joe Moorhead, apparently interviewed for the Purdue job while in Indianapolis. Not sure how serious he is in finding another job at this point, but if Penn State makes a serious national championship run next season, he's probably gone to any mid-upper P5 team he wants. http://onwardstate.com/2016/12/06/joe-moorhead-reportedly-interviewed-for-purdue-job/

He's a great coach, and I'm sure he'll leave soon. I just hope we can keep him around for another full season after having turned the corner finally.

Komet fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 6, 2016

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Barry Odom isn't making anymore assistant moves outside of hiring a new DL coach so it looks like Demontie Cross will return in 2017.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/806174980564283392

Better go get that second recruit now, Matt

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I'm not shocked that he left, but Baylor?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah he's never worked in Texas, which will no doubt upset some Baylor fans

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah he's never worked in Texas, which will no doubt upset some Baylor fans

never worked in Texas with 0 Texas recruiting ties and 6 days to put together a recruiting class before we go back into a dead period until mid Jan.

He's a much better coach than the deserve, but definitely going to have a learning curve as far as recruiting.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Well that came out of nowhere

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

woah

Didn't see that coming

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Seems like a good hire for Baylor but yeesh their 2017 class is gonna be dogshit.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
I know Rhule has done nothing but good things so far but

LMAO Baylor hired a coach from Bill Cosby U

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Spintzel posted:

At least Temple has walked back their Cosby associations unlike another PA school

If Rhule can win at Temple, even a sanctioned Baylor can't be much harder

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

They could make a movie about what Matt Rhule was able to do at Temple, a perennially dogshit football program since the 19th century. I just fear now they're going to regress and lose any foothold they might've had.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Spintzel posted:

Bill Cosby U...

But also Matt Rhule played at Penn State under Jerry Sandusky.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rhule is a great coach and very well might make it work, but that's a super weird move on a bunch of levels. It feels like he's gonna be the fall guy who deals with the worst of the Briles fallout, gets things relatively stabilized, and then is immediately dumped because he didn't win enough in an impossible situation so they can go hire some flashy Texas guy who is closer to Briles in background and offensive philosophy.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 6, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This seems like a panic hire from Baylor

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This seems like a panic hire from Baylor

Absolutely is. Guessing it went similarly to Michigan when they settled on Hoke.

E: Rhule's a better coach, to be sure, but there's no way they didn't have 3-4 candidates turn them down before Rhule got called.

E2:

ESPN posted:

Bears athletics director Mack Rhoades also considered Arkansas State's Blake Anderson, SMU's Chad Morris and California's Sonny Dykes before deciding to hire Rhule.

On Monday, Baylor set up a Tuesday meeting with Oklahoma State's Mike Gundy, but that meeting between Gundy and Baylor officials was canceled Tuesday morning, a source said.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

The Gundy meeting was 100% Gundy trolling T. Boone

Matt Rhule is cool, Temple should still stomp Wake despite losing their coach

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

He'll still be coach until after the bowl.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

imagine having a statue in your office that could, at any moment, come alive through dark alchemy and coach a bowl game

This is basically why Bill O'Brien had the Paterno statue cast into fires of US Steel's furnaces.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
lol gently caress Mack Rhoades. Glad he jumped ship after a year to have to deal with Baylor's bullshit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

shyduck posted:

He'll still be coach until after the bowl.

Nah he's out

ESPN posted:

The Owls will play Wake Forest in the Military Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman on Dec. 27, and sources told ESPN that assistant head coach/tight ends coach Ed Foley will serve as the interim head coach.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Rhule is a way better coach than Baylor deserves.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

DJExile posted:

Absolutely is. Guessing it went similarly to Michigan when they settled on Hoke.

E: Rhule's a better coach, to be sure, but there's no way they didn't have 3-4 candidates turn them down before Rhule got called.

E2:

At least Hoke was Michigan Man. Rhule has no connection with Baylor at all.

Pretty good hire. Rhule was going to move up somewhere, but you can't help but think he's just a stop gap, as MV suggests.

Also, it is worth pointing out that Rhule can't take full credit for what Temple has become. Al Golden got that ball rolling.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Rhule's a decent hire for a poo poo school

ESPN posted:

The Owls will play Wake Forest in the Military Defense Contractor's Bowl Presented by Northrop Grumman on Dec. 27, and sources told ESPN that assistant head coach/tight ends coach Ed Foley will serve as the interim head coach.

That' a little more accurate.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

DJExile posted:

Nah he's out

I would have made Phil Snow the interim

Temple should look hard at promoting him

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

DJExile posted:

Nah he's out
Well, poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ESPN posted:

The coaching carousel isn't done spinning, but after Baylor announced it hired Temple's Matt Ruhle to be its new head coach, it looks like Sonny Dykes will remain at California. It's the second year in a row Dykes has pursued other jobs only not to be hired, which doesn't bode well for his future in Berkeley. It's hard to see the Dykes-Cal pairing last past the 2017 season.

this is still the weirdest drat thing

• Locked thread