Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my gym just emailed me saying if i pay for 2017 up front i get 2018 free.

very tempted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
they are going to close down in 2018

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i took about a week or so off, most of my injuries feel gone, good and fresh. starting my little self designed PHUL program. It's probably not the best program but it has the stuff I like/want to do in it and because I'll only be trying to increase weight once a week for the most part, I think I'll progress better than on 5x5. I'll have to make sure to make myself go light on the hypertrophy day because there's a good bit of volume in there I'm not used to and I have a tendency to want to lift heavy.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Tiny Lowtax posted:

You're the one girl in this thread, right?

i was 134lb yesterday, 147lb would look bad on me unless i get some gear

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Is PPLx2 a waste of time if you're not on roids (or if you're a girl/manlet screw you tiny lowtax t:smith: )

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
why'd you quit doing your PHUL smegma? I remember saying you liked it and that's what gave me the idea.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

why'd you quit doing your PHUL smegma? I remember saying you liked it and that's what gave me the idea.

Haven't quit yet, but I've been doing it for seven or so months now and just felt like switching things up a little to keep it fresh. I'll probably go back to it very quickly :)

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pesmerga posted:

Is PPLx2 a waste of time if you're not on roids (or if you're a girl/manlet screw you tiny lowtax t:smith: )
No. It's not a waste of time.

You will see great progress. Is it better than a 4 day program? I mean probably not, but it's not worse either. It's all about what fits into your schedule and how much time you want to spend at the gym for how many days.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Dec 6, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Pesmerga posted:

Haven't quit yet, but I've been doing it for seven or so months now and just felt like switching things up a little to keep it fresh. I'll probably go back to it very quickly :)

Ah. Yeah I feel you, I was getting way to bored with SL. I eventually want to do a "real" program, but since I still have a lot of exercises and other things like rep ranges I want to try out more, like front squats and romanians, I figure programming around that to the best of my ability would be better than doing a program I'm bored with and randomly adding poo poo in and swapping exercises around. I'm still learning to cook and get into better routines, so really it's just to keep me occupied for another month or two. If I make good progress and enjoy it, I'll keep it up. If it's kinda lovely, no big deal I'll move on to something recommended.

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

After 2 years of workingout you should really be doing your own thing. You know your body better then any program does.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Pesmerga posted:

By my understanding, science and empiricism say that more frequency is better for natty lifters, who really should be hitting every muscle group at least twice per week. It's the pharmacologically boosted lifters who can make better use of programs with lower frequency.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
That's true and not true at the same time. I worked out for about 6-8 months a couple years ago, made decent progress and learned a bit, then quit for almost a year. I started going back again about 5 or 6 months ago, and made most of my progress back, learned a lot about my body in that time working a ton of hours and working around injuries, so while I still consider myself a noob I do feel like I'm really good at getting a feel for what works and doesn't at least. I actually spent a good amount of time thinking on this. I posted it a couple weeks ago but revised it up a bit. Right now I'm going to roll with

Upper Strength Monday
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Pull ups
Face pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Strength Tuesday
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Cable Crunches 3x10

Upper Hypertrophy Thursday
BB Bench 3x8
Dumbell Bench 3x10
OHP 3x10
Dumbell Shoulder raise 3x10
Lat pull down 3x10
Cable row 3x10
Face Pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Hypertrophy Friday
Front Squat 3x8
Lunges 2x10
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Farmers Walks
Planks

I feel like I can handle the volume of the hyper days as long as I don't go nuts on weight. I also feel like the pulls are fairly balanced with pushing, better than SL at least. Even if it winds up being a garbage program, I'm still excited to try something different out and has me looking forward to the gym again so in a way, it's already working. I kind of wanted to move biceps to leg days to make those a little longer and shorten the upper days a bit, but I'm not sure if the pulling exercises will hit my biceps enough that they'd be worked to frequently, so I just decided to keep it. Curls are easy to superset in with other stuff to save time anyway.

Groke posted:

By my understanding, science and empiricism say that more frequency is better for natty lifters, who really should be hitting every muscle group at least twice per week. It's the pharmacologically boosted lifters who can make better use of programs with lower frequency.

That's partially why I wanted to try the phul thing, to see if doing bench/ohp both twice a week would work any better than the weird rotating 1/2 times a week that SS/SL does. I was wondering if doing both in the same workout would suck, but I did the strength night tonight and my OHP wasn't as weak as I thought it would be after benching. I just made sure to take a solid 5-6 minute break between.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Dec 6, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
At my strongest I was 154lbs and willing to cut down to 148 (I think) to beat a dumb regional bench press record.

E_P posted:

After 2 years of workingout you should really be doing your own thing. You know your body better then any program does.

Pretty much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Assuming youre not a dumbo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
A doofus

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
i hope i'm not those things. i keep an open mind and try to learn though

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Or a birdbrain

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
Or even worse... donkey brained

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

That said you can always learn new things! Today I found out from the trainers at my gym if you fill up the leg press there is enough space on top to hold an olympic bar and add more weight. ABTNL always be trying new lifts..

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus if you're doing 16+ plates on the leg press you have officially graduated from the assisted lifts.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Stronglifts? More like wronglifts!
Having said that, stronglifts is great if you only read the advice on how to do the lifts. All these programs and ~*lifting diaries*~

Feh!
Just lift until you swoon and then take a knee and lift some more!

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Zzulu posted:

Assuming youre not a dumbo

Goons are literally the dumbest fucks on the entire planet

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

Goons are literally the dumbest fucks on the entire planet

Check out Aenaon's Hypnosophy. It's good. It has black metal and a saxophone.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

finals week

losing my gains

not going to make it

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
study in the gym

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
finals week

so nervous i have to lift

PR squat

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
kids and their schoolwork

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

squat stacks of textbooks in the library

you can thank me later

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

No time for the gym today because I have to teach.

Work cutting into my gainz.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

BoonyPC posted:

they are going to close down in 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

jarbv posted:

squat stacks of textbooks in the library

you can thank me later

Squat stacks in the stacks.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
im a retail retard losing weight by too tired to cook or eat dinner which only makes me more tired so i skip the gym to catch up on sleep and hope I never wake up. but im only 2 days behind on the gym so im gonna squat tomorrow after work and then go to that really good deli that makes me happy because i lost my duck fat fries virginity there. unless this guy sends me a winky face emoji then nevermind

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
Little known fact: winky-face emoji means "I see you squatting, good job, squat more."

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
This two guys were using a squat rack for 40 minutes but one of them was doing 4 plates so what can you say.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

eating a shitload and sedentary, i tell myself im recovering and not just getting fat

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Tolkien minority posted:

eating a shitload and sedentary, i tell myself im recovering and not just getting fat

:same:

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

That's true and not true at the same time. I worked out for about 6-8 months a couple years ago, made decent progress and learned a bit, then quit for almost a year. I started going back again about 5 or 6 months ago, and made most of my progress back, learned a lot about my body in that time working a ton of hours and working around injuries, so while I still consider myself a noob I do feel like I'm really good at getting a feel for what works and doesn't at least. I actually spent a good amount of time thinking on this. I posted it a couple weeks ago but revised it up a bit. Right now I'm going to roll with

Upper Strength Monday
Bench 3x5
OHP 3x5
Pendlay Rows 3x5
Pull ups
Face pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Strength Tuesday
Squat 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Cable Crunches 3x10

Upper Hypertrophy Thursday
BB Bench 3x8
Dumbell Bench 3x10
OHP 3x10
Dumbell Shoulder raise 3x10
Lat pull down 3x10
Cable row 3x10
Face Pull 3x10
Biceps

Lower Hypertrophy Friday
Front Squat 3x8
Lunges 2x10
Romanian Deadlift 3x8
Farmers Walks
Planks

I feel like I can handle the volume of the hyper days as long as I don't go nuts on weight. I also feel like the pulls are fairly balanced with pushing, better than SL at least. Even if it winds up being a garbage program, I'm still excited to try something different out and has me looking forward to the gym again so in a way, it's already working. I kind of wanted to move biceps to leg days to make those a little longer and shorten the upper days a bit, but I'm not sure if the pulling exercises will hit my biceps enough that they'd be worked to frequently, so I just decided to keep it. Curls are easy to superset in with other stuff to save time anyway.

That's partially why I wanted to try the phul thing, to see if doing bench/ohp both twice a week would work any better than the weird rotating 1/2 times a week that SS/SL does. I was wondering if doing both in the same workout would suck, but I did the strength night tonight and my OHP wasn't as weak as I thought it would be after benching. I just made sure to take a solid 5-6 minute break between.

you should try decreasing the quantity of types of exercises, and focus on increasing number of sets. also, as you're on the four-day schedule (best schedule), you should try devoting each day to a major lift (squat, bench, dead, ohp) and then add in two or three accessories/core, depending on how long your focus lift takes.

this is not ~expert advice~, just your schedule looks like what I used to do but then I evolved to doing what I just recommended, and I found it much preferable. might help you jump off the "gotta find a program" railroad you're on.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Little known fact: winky-face emoji means "I see you squatting, good job, squat more."

no it means he has salami for me. i don't think he lifts and hasn't really seen or felt my squat parts thoroughly so maybe i got an edge here

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Green Crayons posted:

you should try decreasing the quantity of types of exercises, and focus on increasing number of sets. also, as you're on the four-day schedule (best schedule), you should try devoting each day to a major lift (squat, bench, dead, ohp) and then add in two or three accessories/core, depending on how long your focus lift takes.

this is not ~expert advice~, just your schedule looks like what I used to do but then I evolved to doing what I just recommended, and I found it much preferable. might help you jump off the "gotta find a program" railroad you're on.

that kind of sounds like gzcl's "the rippler" program that im running right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009
yeah i mean it's probably someone's program but dammit i came across it honestly