Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I liked how that CGI Enterprise D looked but that was it

Didn't Gabe Köerner (the weirdo from Trekkies who did that hideous 1701 redesign) provide the CGI model for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

No idea. I'm not familiar with that guy

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Timby posted:

Didn't Gabe Köerner (the weirdo from Trekkies who did that hideous 1701 redesign) provide the CGI model for that?

Yes, he actually works professionally in VFX now. If I recall he did the CG Ent-D from scratch for that one shot because the only one they had was leftover from DS9 and not suitable for HDTV.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure he modified an existing model he'd already done. It has elements of both the 4 and 6 footers. Colour's a bit off, but that's hard as hell to get right - the actual physical Enterprise-D filming models were patterns of blue and green, weirdly enough.

Fun fact: only time any saucer rim windows have ever been lit up onscreen. Too narrow to get lights in there on the physical model.

Well, 'fun' fact.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 5, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Has Avery Brooks ever commented on why he almost entirely retired from acting after DS9?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Your avatar is Orson Wells, you know why he stopped acting.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
It was my impression that he hasn't retired, but he was always more of a theatre actor rather than film or TV so you don't see him much. Not to mention, his regular job is a university professor in acting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think in the end I really ended up enjoying Enterprise. Overall it has a lot of faults but they shook most of it off by the start of season three and season four is straight up classic Trek. Kind of a bummer it didn't get the full seven year run.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
(Crossposted from the Obsolete Technology thread, where they're having a tangent about props)
I've never seen this mentioned before, but the Jem'Hadar ships on Deep Space Nine had some grey blocky vent tube thingies in the back that were made from some specific brand (they all look a bit different) of septic infiltrator chamber.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

dont even fink about it posted:

Has Avery Brooks ever commented on why he almost entirely retired from acting after DS9?

He used up all his emotions playing Sisko, now he just sits and stares out the window

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
his mind has been replaced with pure jazz

all that remains is the poetry

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The Sisko is of Louisiana

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Brooks is non-sensical. Musical.

We do not understand.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

It was my impression that he hasn't retired, but he was always more of a theatre actor rather than film or TV so you don't see him much. Not to mention, his regular job is a university professor in acting.

I can think of worse things than being taught how to act by a guy who was the lead in a major network show for 7 years. I guess actors do sometimes step into teaching acting rather than continuing to pick up various roles, but I just never really thought it happened due to the large amount of money they make at the top levels. I suppose there are plenty of professors or general instructors/teachers whose greatest claim to fame is a decent run as a play actor or as some person with a few speaking lines on various shows. Ah well, the allure of being a proper star doesn't appeal to everyone, Joffrey went off to college instead of taking what must have been insanely prestigious and lucrative acting offers after all.

I've been watching a lot of Next Generation after the Greatest Generation reignited my enjoyment of Star Trek, and while hopping around I've seen so many little moments and storylines that I can't wait for them to tackle. It's going to be so entertaining :allears:.

I've also been poking around Memory Alpha here and there, and learned that the general synopsis of fairly recent Star Trek books sound pretty rad. It has Ro Laren and Ezri Dax in major captain roles, a big fat Borg invasion, and an alliance of basically every Trek bad-guy faction teaming up against Starfleet after the Borg attack. I mean it sounds like fanservice of the best kind. I greatly enjoyed the Star Wars EU/Legends books (perhaps partly because I never went completely down the EU rabbit hole where absolutely insane stuff happened), now I'm thinking I need to at least give a few Star Trek books set in the post Next Generation/DS9 time period a chance to grab my interest.

WickedHate posted:

There was a recent Iron Man story where he'd gone evil and did exactly that(nanomachines, son!). The evil part comes when it turns out it was just "a free trial" and he rips it away and starts charging an obscene amount for it.

Off the top of my head he was charging $100 a day, or something in that neighborhood. I chalk it up to Evil Tony knowing what would get him the most money and setting the price there, consequences on the people who can't afford it be damned. That whole comic arc was a decently fun time, it really showed the potential danger of an evil Iron Man, but one who still wants to think he's the good guy on some level. For instance, Daredevil gets wise to how evil Tony's being and instead of killing him, Tony uses Extremis to give him back his eyesight. When that doesn't get him on board (because c'mon, of course it wouldn't) he uses some fancy science to mindwipe him and is like "Oh yeah we just threw down with the Hulk (or whoever), man that was crazy but I fixed you up, see ya!"

A fun little tidbit that I like to think was intentional is that shortly before this, Tony went on a quest to destroy or control Extremis tech after it had gotten loose in the world and saw it as a danger, and evil Tony's just like "cool I've got this, I''ll spread it around and make some money."

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

NowonSA posted:

It has Ro Laren and Ezri Dax in major captain roles

How exactly does twice-treasonous, noted Maquis terrorist, former ensign Ro Laren wind up with a third-chance captaincy?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Lordshmee posted:

How exactly does twice-treasonous, noted Maquis terrorist, former ensign Ro Laren wind up with a third-chance captaincy?

Because she's hot.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

They mistook her for Kira.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

They mistook her for Kira.

In another time line she made Admiral.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Platonicsolid posted:

In another time line she made Admiral.

Being the PotUS' bodyguard has perks, I guess.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
Thinking of Ro getting made Captain before Harry Kim gets made Lieutenant is fantastic.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Lordshmee posted:

In a really good version of Voyager produced in an alternate reality.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lordshmee posted:

Bajoran affirmative action.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Lordshmee posted:

No clue on the details, but my impression is that she gets reinstated in Starfleet after they chill on the status of the Maquis a bit, or she does some cool heroic space thing, ends up as the new DS9 security chief, and then rises up to running DS9/sometimes captaining a ship? Hey man, cream rises to the top, what can I say?

Whenever I see Ro in Next Gen I always end the episode thinking I want more of the character, so I'm cool with whatever quasi-canon promotions she gets.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Ro Laren as captain can only end in disaster

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Spoeank posted:

Admiral Helena Cain did nothing wrong.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Spoeank posted:

I'm With Her.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mister Adequate posted:

It might be hard to admit, or hard to hear. But I think that we were safer with her than we are without.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Ok so I just started Voyager and watched the first ep. Already Janeway has hosed over the crew in her mad quest for glory. They were perfectly capable of using the array to get home the same way they got there but leaving the array standing would allow one alien race to kill/subjugate another. Tuvok says that this is the natural power balance of this sector and interfering would violate the Prime Directive. Janeway blows it up, trapping her crew and Chakotay's in the Delta Quadrant. Now they've got to go on one of the longest and most unique Starfleet exploration missions of all time with Janeway in command, naturally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I know that's a popular issue with VOY, but in fairness Tuvok does say that it's going to take hours to sort out a return journey and they're getting their asses kicked by increasing numbers of Kazon. Plus, destroying the Array in order to save the Ocampans (at least temporarily) even if it leads to anything from massive inconvenience to death is very much in keeping with Starfleet's ethos of self-sacrifice and generally being good and decent.

There are a lot of reasons to take issue with Voyager but I've never honestly found the Array issue to be one of them.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

If Voyager's premier was an episode of another series, they would've just figured out a way to plant a time-delayed bomb or science up some other way to disable it after they go home.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mister Adequate posted:

allowing a prisoner to be used as a sex slave for the crew is highly hosed up

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

allowing a prisoner to be used as a sex slave for the crew is highly hosed up

Look at this guy who thinks toasters are people

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
YOU CANT

RRRRRRRRAPE

A MACHINE

*spittle flies everywhere*

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

NowonSA posted:

I've also been poking around Memory Alpha here and there, and learned that the general synopsis of fairly recent Star Trek books sound pretty rad. It has Ro Laren and Ezri Dax in major captain roles, a big fat Borg invasion, and an alliance of basically every Trek bad-guy faction teaming up against Starfleet after the Borg attack. I mean it sounds like fanservice of the best kind. I greatly enjoyed the Star Wars EU/Legends books (perhaps partly because I never went completely down the EU rabbit hole where absolutely insane stuff happened), now I'm thinking I need to at least give a few Star Trek books set in the post Next Generation/DS9 time period a chance to grab my interest.
The Destiny trilogy is probably the best starting point, it pretty much set the stage for the modern Trek novel universe. There's earlier books that deal with Riker moving over to Titan and the Enterprise's new crewmembers, but I don't think there's anything major you won't be able to catch up on. I'll warn you though, the books' quality varies a lot.

Lordshmee posted:

After the Maquis got all blowed up she ended up in the Bajoran Militia, and eventually ended up with Odo's old job on DS9. Once Bajor joined the Federation and the Bajoran Militia got absorbed into Starfleet Picard gave her a pep talk and pulled some strings to get her to hang around. Then she just moved up the ranks from there, probably unrealistically fast but that's pretty par for the course for Star Trek.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Voyager Episode 2: While trapped in a strange space anomaly the Holo-Doctor's image is affected, causing him to constantly decrease in height. He makes repeated requests for someone to come and fix the problem, saying that if it continues he will be too small to treat patients. Despite several crew members having their physical health affected by the same anomaly, at no point does anyone bother to have the only Doctor on the ship able to treat anyone. At the end of the episode after everything is back to normal, Paris drops by the Sick Bay to bandage a cut on his hand and make fun of the Doctor because he has still not been repaired.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I love how they barely pay lip service to the fact that the real doctor and all the nurses were killed in the first episode and they're super hosed if say, the holodoc goes offline in an attack and there's no one to help you with your plasma burns. They train Paris (the pilot who's probably PRETTY BUSY) for an episode or two and then Kes steps in. Good plan on training the kid who only lives 9 years to be the medical backup for your 70 year journey.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was you, two months ago. I'm starting S6 soon but compared to other shows I was watching from start to finish, Voyager has been exceptionally slow because it's so bad at times.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I heard he taped lectures on set in his Sisko uniform and sent them over to, I want to say, Rutgers/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MorgaineDax posted:

I love how they barely pay lip service to the fact that the real doctor and all the nurses were killed in the first episode and they're super hosed if say, the holodoc goes offline in an attack and there's no one to help you with your plasma burns. They train Paris (the pilot who's probably PRETTY BUSY) for an episode or two and then Kes steps in. Good plan on training the kid who only lives 9 years to be the medical backup for your 70 year journey.

I always wondered why they didn't reassign some of the remaining science crew to medical. Some of them would have useful biology backgrounds, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Logically, yeah, but in terms of making a Star Trek show, that would have required one of the core cast to be a science officer for the pilot, to be moved into a pseudo-doctor role for the rest of the show - in practical terms, using an important cast member as a holographic doctor achieves the same thing and gives you ~hologram!~ shenanigans on top.

Using Paris as a "nurse" briefly makes some sense if you're just fresh out of options, but bringing him back in that role after Kes "evolves" is dumb. They totally should have used someone else at this point, but then you'd need a recurring role (because the doctor has become such a fixture by then so he and sickbay showed up every 2nd episode or so) just for that and why do that if you just want to use the same ten or so people for everything, right? :v: