Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Easy through Very Hard are like the earlier difficulties in Doom. Okay for a newbie or a casual player. Overkill is Ultra-Violence, because of peak murder-to-fun ratio and correct difficulty for a majority of people. Mayhem is like one of those WADs that's mostly mid-tier enemies but the levels are designed for it and is rewarding if you want to get a bit more serious. Death Wish is one of those frustrating WADs that don't give you the double-barreled shotgun but once you learn the layouts and get good it's rewarding and something to play when you want. One Down is like Nuts2016dankmeme420RIPHARAMBE.wad with a pistol start. Playing with Vox on anything is Nightmare.

badum tish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Mayhem and DW are still pretty fun if you make a build that stacks a bunch of damage buffs and play a bit more carefully. They do restrict viable builds considerably from Overkill, but you can still have fun and shoot cops. One Down just goes further down that road and becomes a chore.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Discendo Vox posted:

That was chairface, and fwiw those values were pretty accurate. He ended the heist with ~1700 kills.

chairface, right. And really? Dang, I forgot how high it was.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Mayhem and DW have almost differences. It feels disingenuous to even talk about them differently.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 15, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Fastest: hacks
Second fastest: Probably cook off.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'll give you a nightmare!

Death Vox Prison Nightmare
Special Enemies: Death Vox Headless Dozers cannot be critted or headshotted.
Instead of spawning due to a wheel entry, snipers will spawn 1 at a time every 45 seconds during the wheel process. They will not spawn otherwise, aside from as scripted during the escape.
The Titanwheel of Misfortune:
The Wheel has 8 slots, like in other difficulties. It randomly selects from the set (aside from #8) below. Cosmetically, the wheel is white and will have a hastily scrawled "Suck it" sign on plywood attached to the top.
The number of "prizes" selected per wheel, and the amount of time the wheel takes to release a key, varies as the heist continues. See details further below.
1. Cloaker - Four cloakers spawn in the area around the wheel.
2. Dozer - Two Headless Dozers spawn, one inside the combat area and the other on one of the overlooking balconies.
3. Turret - A turret spawns on the Necrocloaker's outstretched hand. It is similar to an indoor turret and has one shield.
4. Taser - 3 tasers spawn in the area around the wheel.
5. Grudge - either Hector, the Commissar, the Overkill leader, or Chavez will spawn, using Death Vox stats. No infighting.
6. Gas - The Necrocloaker will (if not occupied by another animation) throw a "smoke grenade". This will have the dual effect of the normal smoke wheel entry, and also fills the lower parts of the area with poison gas. This is extremely dangerous in the basketball court (players will need to flee to neighboring areas) but is relatively harmless in the outdoor area, and only fills the lower level of the cell block and the laundry room.
7. Heal - 6 medics spawn into the area.
8. Ice Cream - will only be selected last, after all other entries. It's...not really ice cream. The arena will flash(as if the smoke effect was triggered, and all of it will be set on fire. The fire will do no damage. All four Grudge enemies will spawn and attack(if a grudge enemy is still alive, they will not be healed or replaced). 4 medics will also spawn into the area.
Getting in:
The first wheel has a normal number of entries, 2, and takes 60 seconds. It's also normally colored, to lure players into a sense of false security. The first gate into the prison has a 30 second timer on it. Police cannot interrupt the timer.
The Keycard Grind:
Every 2 wheels, the Titan Wheel will select an additional item before it finishes.
Each titan wheel also takes an additional ten seconds to count down after it finishes spinning. This can extend above 99, the maximum that the wheel will display.
Every time the wheel is stopped, it will take an additional ten seconds to reset itself. This can also extend above 99 seconds.
Bags:
Loot on Death Vox Prison Nightmare will be bodybags, with the weight of normal bodybags. They will simply be labeled "loot" ingame, and will be worth the same amount as gold. Bags will always spawn from doors on the ground or basement level and vents will always spawn at least one level above them. 145 bags are needed before the escape is available (this is noted next to the cardslot).
Players are free to get additional bags. The time to secure bags is unchanged. Bags will explode, dealing damage, when the timer ends. Bags being carried by players will not explode until a couple seconds after they are thrown.
Getting out:
After 145 bags have been secured, the players will have the option to use the keycard at the escape location.
The escape route is changed- players are routed by a combination of gates and fire to the laundry room, then through the basketball court to the outdoor key area. The front gate and hall are closed off. Snipers and other special units will spawn along the route.
Only one zipline will be available. Snipers will spawn in the area after the zipline is used for the first time.
The train:
The train sequence is mostly unchanged - but there are two locked doors. The C4 will always spawn as far from the locked door as possible. A special unit (either cloaker or taser) will spawn with the bag. Both pieces of C4 are picked up when the bag is used. Shields and a taser wait behind the first door. Winters begins to arrive near the escape zone as soon as the first C4 is applied.
Escape:
The final escape sequence is mostly unchanged, but there is a loot secure area next to the escape zone. Different loot spawns along the escape route; 2 nuke cases (containing a total of 4 nukes), an Artifact (shadow raid weight), Almir's Toast, a Server, and a Safe. All are optional.

Achievements:
The Wages of Sin: Collect all the optional loot along the escape on Prison Nightmare Death Vox.
OverWheel (secret achievement): Unravel the mystery of the forbidden OverWheel.

Overwheel:
After the second wheel is completed, and before the second keycard is used (and only at this time) If each of the four players stand on the location of one of the four wheels, Dallas will be head saying "this is the place!" and a red light and beeping will sound from a console in the cell block overseer's space. This is the player's cue to insert their keycard at the front gate again to begin the Overwheel process. Using the card elsewhere aborts the sequence. The Necrocloaker does not appear during this sequence. Bain will spend this time protesting and asking the players if they are sure they want to do this.

Summoning the Wheel
All four titanwheels appear and begin a countdown from 145 seconds, . This is not visible- instead, the four wheels will constantly show 66 seconds. If any one wheel is disrupted, all four must be repaired for the countdown to resume
where it left off, with a reset time on each of 66 seconds. The wheels can reset concurrently. As the countdown occurs, rumbling sounds begin and the light in the map turns red. When the countown finishes, the Overwheel, a great, ancient circle of metal and stone, appears in place of the keycard console in the cell block, along with a scaffolded platform in front of it. The 12 entries on the wheel are all blank, weird words (DIE, BALDWIN, BEARD, etc), symbols or runes. There is no timer on the wheel.

Assembling the Drill of The Beast
A Titan Timelock Safe also spawns at each of the three non-cell block wheel locations. Each of these safes must be protected for 90 seconds, in an event equivalent to the defense that occurs on Lab Rats, with white mist. Each safe opens to reveal one bag, a part of the Drill of the Beast (the Beast Drill).

Starting the OverWheel
When the beast is assembled, players must connect power to 6 power boxes arrayed symmetrically around the cell block- 2 on each level. These are connected by cables, equivalent to the BFD. The cables will glow. This is mostly meant to get players used to what they are defending.

Spinning the OverWheel
When all 6 cables are connected, players must gather together before the wheel to start the drill. When it starts, all doors out of the cell block close and the light level drops. The Wheel begins to spin impossibly fast, letting off sparks and creepy screaming/shrieking sounds. An endless assault begins.
The drill timer specifies that the wheel takes 2000 seconds. This is only if it goes uninterrupted, however. Players must simultaneously defend all six cables and the drill itself. During this process, players will hear the "secret fears" sounds.

OverWheel Effects
The Overwheel's effects only occur when it stops. Players must re-attach cables and restart the drill each time (no parts necessary, no reset delay). The labels on the Wheel don't actually matter. Effects are chosen at random from the following list.
  • 2 Headless Dozers spawn. Smoke grenades go off at their locations.
  • Bain favorites spam (What a flat! The thermal drill, go get it, etc) (60 seconds duration)
  • Significant view angle tilt (30 seconds)
  • Periodic cloaker charge sounds, occurring to individual players only at their position (90 seconds). 2 cloakers spawn 30 seconds after this effect begins.
  • 8 Shields and 6 medics spawn. Periodic shield banging sound effects. (90 seconds)
  • 3 Tasers spawn accompanied by flashbangs. Charging sounds occur at random through the area (90 seconds)
  • A randomly chosen character is announced down by Bain, and the HUD indicator for a downed player appears at a given location on the bottom floor. A Bulldozer also spawns near that location.
  • Black screen applied to one player. (5 seconds, then 30 seconds later applied to a different player for 5 seconds)
  • 2 snipers spawn on upper level. Players hear intermittent sound effect of being hit by sniper (30 seconds)
  • Constant ambient cloaker feedback sound. (4 minutes)
    The following item will occur after the wheel has been stopped 15 times.
  • Winters is announced, with associated buff to enemy health and HUD adjustments. This persists for the rest of the heist. Winters does not actually appear, nor are his lines played.

Finishing the Wheel
When the wheel finally finishes, the police assault continues. The objective changes to "Wake up". Bain tells players to escape, and an escape zone appears near the hospital gurney on the bottom floor. The achievement is rewarded with no other benefits. The Dentist thanks players for their help and promises he will speak to them soon on the results screen.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Dec 7, 2016

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

Mayhem and DW have almost differences. It feels disingenuous to even talk about them differently.

Isn't Mayhem OK damage and DW health?

I actually enjoyed a :pubstove: Panic room a couple nights ago. That's the one where I didn't have the silencer skills. The hardest part was dealing with snipers, they apparently have enough health not to die to a body shot on Mayhem.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Is there any east/fast way to farm XP? I wanted to max two or three perk decks.

Stealthing OD Jewelry Store, Diamond Store and H&Ts is incredibly easy and will get you up to about level 60+ rapidly. After that, Cook Off on at least Overkill. Safehouse Raid turns up regularly, is fairly easy and short (~15 minutes) and gives a hefty chunk of XP even on Overkill too.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Good News! Sydney's Fundraiser got its money! Mega Masks will come around January or February of next year, I expect me and Vox to get a lot of asks if they give us more than one Mega Syd. But most importantly, Almir will be freed from his beard!

Also it should have been Keep Calm and Crime on! New achievement hints have it and I'm hoping Christmas with Scarface is truly coming.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
After clearing Golden Grin and Alesso OD loud, I think I am officially no longer Bad at Videogames. Jokers completely break police AI- I think because the game has to make 3 times as many targeting decisions.

Crabtree posted:

Also it should have been Keep Calm and Crime on! New achievement hints have it and I'm hoping Christmas with Scarface is truly coming.

Lolnoob1 has confirmed it's the mall-themed Xmas heist, including stealing Turboman dolls and star VR headsets, and beating up Santa, voiced by Almir. The lack of new cubemaps has them thinking it will take place in a modified version of the Shield Mall, site of Mallcrashers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Thanks to Andy and Vox, I now am sporting the following mask:
http://pd2weapons.com/m/gitgud-sm-wish/blackmetal/doomweaver/blood-red-white

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drewjitsu posted:

Congrats! Sorry I bailed last night :(

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Drewjitsu posted:

I still need Alesso, Biker, Goat Sim, Hotline Miami, Hoxbreak, Lab Rats, Mallcrashers and Prison Nightmare. 14 cheevos for doing those 8 though, since there's the Bain, Elephant and Dentist cheevos, the lower diff Prison Nightmares and the All OD's one to be had there too.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Hotline Miami is probably the easiest of the big (ie multi-day) loud heists. Goat Simulator is, as you might expect, the most hellish. Prison Nightmare and Lab Rats are next and run each other close.

If anyone needs help with OD you can add me (steam user name is i c wiener), though I'm in Southeast Asia so if you're in the US the time difference and latency might pose problems.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/OVERKILL_TM/status/806859137158103041

:sparkles:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Who's interested in euro bag simulator? I need that & Santa slays slackers. Last cheevos, aside from the new mystery ones.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Someone provide me anime Dragan and we'll talk.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

C'mon overkill, 5 seconds' googling would tell you that that artist has a gallery with a bunch of other images of Sydney in various states of undress. Do some basic homework...

Drewjitsu posted:

Who's interested in euro bag simulator? I need that & Santa slays slackers. Last cheevos, aside from the new mystery ones.

I can help, in exchange for one (1) successful clear of OD Lab Rats.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Lab rats is my jam (with new 1D technology!)

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LOL, you weren't kidding. There are a couple raunchy pictures, but nothing NSFW.

https://twitter.com/wagom_pyooon

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Drewjitsu posted:

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Lab rats is my jam (with new 1D technology!)

did you find Lab Rats 1D to be significantly harder than DW back when it was new? I didn't. It was less forgiving, sure - 100% accuracy at long range is, by definition, unforgiving - but the same strategy of 'haul all the bags off the floor ASAP and stay up top like your life depends on it (because it does)' worked just as well on 1D as it did DW.

then again I did 1D with swan song and that's a real heist-saving skill on 1D so maybe that's the difference. Well that's my suggestion: bring swan song

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 8, 2016

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Psion posted:

did you find Lab Rats 1D to be significantly harder than DW back when it was new? I didn't. It was less forgiving, sure - 100% accuracy at long range is, by definition, unforgiving - but the same strategy of 'haul all the bags off the floor ASAP and stay up top like your life depends on it (because it does)' worked just as well on 1D as it did DW.

then again I did 1D with swan song and that's a real heist-saving skill on 1D so maybe that's the difference. Well that's my suggestion: bring swan song

Lab rats DW wasn't that hard to me, with the strategy you posted above. (it did however take time to develop that strategy).

Lab rats 1D is about the same difficulty, but you can't hold out on top of the barrel because it's too exposed when you have 100% accurate cops at any range. Instead, you hold out at the bottom of that barrel, nestled amongst the ice packs (as they have removed a spawn group there, so it's not a suicide pact to hold out there anymore.)

Again, with the cheesy loud strat of "take 8 cop hostages with maxed out joker skills," most 1d loud maps are accomplishable by most groups with that in mind.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

We held on the top of the barrel without jokers. Just careful about edging forward to shoot vs staying in the center to recover. Lots of flashbangs - usually one before moving up to shoot, prepositioning FAKs and eating medbags like candy suggested, heh. Interesting that the icepacks worked for you - when we tried it we got pincered by dozers and tasers and just got ground down too fast for our resources against having to wait to throw ingredients in, which is why we went up top.

also being up top lets you toss ingredients in quickly and send a suicidal dodge-build or two (two is probably best, inspire each other) to throw bags off the table and GTFO - less time on map is less time for something to ruin your day.

but hey, if it works, it works, right?

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 8, 2016

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like the new level is up. Cheevos have been revealed:

Snowfall
Complete the Stealing Xmas job on the Mayhem difficulty.

Snowstorm
Complete the Stealing Xmas job on the Death Wish difficulty.

Thundersnow
Complete the Stealing Xmas job on the One Down difficulty.

Imitations
On the Stealing Xmas job, find and take both Paycheck masks. Unlocks the "Paycheck Dallas" and "Paycheck Chains" masks.

The Grinch
On the Stealing Xmas job, secure all additional loot on the OVERKILL difficulty or above.

Christmas Party
On the Stealing Xmas job, keep at least 10 zip-tied civilians alive within the 4 pillars around the Christmas tree.

Edit: also there's this - http://www.overkillsoftware.com/games/xmas2016/

Lynx fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 8, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i would unironically enjoy a PAYDAY anime if it were directed by overkill studios

they take themselves lightly enough that i'm sure it would be a fun time

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

That pinstriped character in the illustration with their back turned? Tony Montana.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Coolguye posted:

i would unironically enjoy a PAYDAY anime if it were directed by overkill studios

they take themselves lightly enough that i'm sure it would be a fun time

kung fu hector could finally get the chance to really shine again

but generally, you're right. I wish the fanbase did too but :shrug:

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

That pinstriped character in the illustration with their back turned? Tony Montana.

Who's the guy in the Christmas tree glasses supposed to be?

I'm assuming the guy in the Santa suit is Almir.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Lynx posted:

I'm assuming the guy in the Santa suit is Almir.

Vlad's brother-in-law.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Santasuit guy is Almir/Vlad's brother-in-law.

Christmas Tree Sunglasses guy is Vlad.

edit: this new track is baller.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 8, 2016

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I'm assuming it'll be like Bodhi, and will be Tony Montana from the upcoming remake, not the original?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Wintermutant posted:

I'm assuming it'll be like Bodhi, and will be Tony Montana from the upcoming remake, not the original?

But Pachino's Scarface was a remake of the original 30s gangster movie...

Oh goddamn it it has Leo? Dude, you're cool and all, but it should have been Javier Bardem. I need to say friendo as I kill specials with a silencer.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 8, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

The skin ingame is as close to pacino as possible, down to a wonky eye.

Word of warning on the xmas hostage cheevo- hostages don't have valid paths out of the back rooms of stores- let them run out before you shout them down, or they'll never leave the room.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 8, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Paycheck gang is canon, so that's fun.

THE CHORSE
May 17, 2005

CHORSY MOOMS CHORSE JEEF
No bullshit 100 bags/90 minutes achievement? This is exciting. I might be able to trick Psion into doing this heist after we have all of the achievements.

Also, how many ways can this thread misspell Pacino? Let's find out!

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i thought people hate pachinko after the whole konami thing

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

drat we're getting the hsien-ko?? gently caress yeah I love darkstalkers!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

THE CHORSE posted:

No bullshit 100 bags/90 minutes achievement? This is exciting.
wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Now its just trying to keep 10 civvies alive around a tree with plenty of corners and floors for tasers to sit and be