Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
GIVE ME AN H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

GIVE ME AN H

Gladio looks remarkably shocked at the idea that he has a penis.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

They need to loving lower the encounter rate of Imperial Soldiers, I am tired of these fuckers dropping in the middle of fights I am trying to have against Demons and Giant Snakes, for real.

just wait until you're lv 40 and they drop a lv 73 mech on you that hits the damage barrier while you do 70-80hp a hit :shepicide:

thank god for quintcast thundara, also running

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 6, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Gladio looks remarkably shocked at the idea that he has a penis.

My Ignis/Gladio fic is about this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Should I vendor the rare treasures I get? Or are there some worth keeping?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Gravy Jones posted:

Got around to trying wait mode and it made a lot more sense in actual combat than it did in the tutorial and helps a lot... although for people who are better at juggling a lot of information at once and reacting to it, I could see them preferring doing most combat without it. I, however, am not one of those people.

The stroll around town "quest" in Lestallum was p drat funny. I don't know if it's the same everytime but Noctis' initial "Ehhhh", when Iris commented on how pretty the street was at night, cracked me up. Particularly amusing because the stroll in general was such a FF thing and I just wasn't expecting it to play out the way it did... even if you choose the "nice" options, he just doesn't sound at all convincing.

That place with tons of valves and steam and literal trash lying around absolutely everywhere you look? Yeah, pretty!

Lestallum is kind of interesting but I honestly find it to be absolutely hideous from a visitor's perspective.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It seems like it was more a giant power plant that a town ended up springing up around, rather than anything that was planned.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think I just want to beeline through this, reading everyone talking about grinding and fighting one hour bosses reminds me when I used to have time for that poo poo, but I don't anymore.

What should I do on the side that's worth it? Someone said I should do Sania's questline. I also want to do the Cup Noodles quest so is that easily missable?

Like, doing a fetch quest for someone and then they immediately have another fetch quest just feels so draining. I've also been letting the car rides play out for AP but I've listened to all the soundtracks as much as I wanted to at this point

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

seiferguy posted:

Should I vendor the rare treasures I get? Or are there some worth keeping?

Keep for spell catalysts. I haven't had much need for money and if I need some extra cash I just do a hunt.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I had heard this story is disjointed, and for the first several hours there was enough to fill in the blanks well enough that I didn't believe it. Now I'm a bit further, and it is 100% nonsense. I have no idea why I'm doing what I am doing and characters have been dead, not dead, missing, and found all without an event leading up to their status, and somehow every character has instant full knowledge of whatever state the world happens to decide to be in at that point.

This is a book written by a narcissist for their own self-congratulation, who did not care enough about the reader to fill in the 60% of the story that they didn't feel like writing.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Human Crouton posted:

I had heard this story is disjointed, and for the first several hours there was enough to fill in the blanks well enough that I didn't believe it. Now I'm a bit further, and it is 100% nonsense. I have no idea why I'm doing what I am doing and characters have been dead, not dead, missing, and found all without an event leading up to their status, and somehow every character has instant full knowledge of whatever state the world happens to decide to be in at that point.

This is a book written by a narcissist for their own self-congratulation, who did not care enough about the reader to fill in the 60% of the story that they didn't feel like writing.

"Several days later"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Alternatively a book written by a narcissist for their own self-congratulation, sat on for a few years and then suddenly people had to edit down their 1000 page manuscript into something they could get to market before the hype train derails.

charismaslover
Dec 3, 2006

Too stylish for this world...
90 mins later and I finished the tedious platforming dungeon :toot:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Alternatively a book written by a narcissist for their own self-congratulation, sat on for a few years and then suddenly people had to edit down their 1000 page manuscript into something they could get to market before the hype train derails.

Couldn't they have just written some more text between chapters or do a Starwars scroll or something?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Couldn't they have just written some more text between chapters or do a Starwars scroll or something?

Isn't that what they did on the loading screens?

cams
Mar 28, 2003

IcePhoenix posted:

my favorite parts of the game were when i'd hit a loading screen and learn something about the previous cutscene or dialogue i did not get from it at all

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cams posted:

my favorite parts of the game were when i'd hit a loading screen and learn something about the previous cutscene or dialogue i did not get from it at all

"The Empire has already slain three of the six!"

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

I've not gotten one story based loading screen. Only tips and location overviews.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've not gotten one story based loading screen. Only tips and location overviews.

The story-based loading screens get more frequent when you get later on.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

"The Empire has already slain three of the six!"

Haha, really? One of the parts that confused me is why I was suddenly looking for Ramuh and a bunch of other gods and also why The Empire led me to Titan, helped me fight Titan, saved me from Titan, stole my car, dropped me off somewhere, and still keeps trying to kill me.

I guess I'll just have to settle in and enjoy the aspects of the game I like.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The basic plot of the game is actually one of the simplest since at least the 16-bit games: you're a prince who leaves home, your home is attacked almost immediately (which your dad saw coming which is why he did it), then you hook up with other survivors and go around hunting the implements of your revenge (royal arms, the blessings of the gods, and the crystal).

A lot of the fine points are ill-explained and the last third of the game feels incredibly rushed, and the relationship between the game and the cutscenes is slapped together and badly edited just like 13 was (because of their stupid dev process prolly), but it never seemed confusing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

The basic plot of the game is actually one of the simplest since at least the 16-bit games: you're a prince who leaves home, your home is attacked almost immediately (which your dad saw coming which is why he did it), then you hook up with other survivors and go around hunting the implements of your revenge (royal arms, the blessings of the gods, and the crystal).

A lot of the fine points are ill-explained and the last third of the game feels incredibly rushed, and the relationship between the game and the cutscenes is slapped together and badly edited just like 13 was (because of their stupid dev process prolly), but it never seemed confusing.

Yeah, this is an incredibly simple plot told poorly. There are basically a few major points I think that go massively underexplained. The Ifrit thing for example really should be a big Oh poo poo reveal rather than a "oh, I'm fighting Ifrit now...?" thing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Haha, really? One of the parts that confused me is why I was suddenly looking for Ramuh and a bunch of other gods and also why The Empire led me to Titan, helped me fight Titan, saved me from Titan, stole my car, dropped me off somewhere, and still keeps trying to kill me.

I guess I'll just have to settle in and enjoy the aspects of the game I like.

I thought there was a loading screen that explained some of that, but maybe you stepped away to cook a small 10 course meal for that one.

Loading screens: worse way to explain story jump cuts than a character sitting in a chair and narrating.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

I've read a bunch of spoilers and am just in chapter 3. Is Ardyn that guy you meet in Golden Quay who flips a coin at you?
Also what is it with square enix games and them needing you to watch and read a bunch of supplementary material to understand the plot? I want to enjoy a full coherent story without having to do homework

They're showing, not telling. :v:

Or, maybe they're pulling an Assassin's Creed 2 and these "nonessential story gaps are gonna be in the DLC.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Re: The Empire and Titan - it's important to the plot that the Empire is actually very factional; it should already be clear that Ardyn has his own agenda, which he obviously needs to conceal from the Emperor.

The fine points of that scheming are one of the places the game fudges it and can actually be a little confusing, but generally speaking it explains a lot of the seeming incongruity of their behavior. Basically, there are ranking people in Niflheim who are discretely trying to help Noctis along for personal reasons without being obvious about it to the greater world.

Baku fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 7, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
drat this game gets dark, in more than one way.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gently caress your stupid frogs lady. the lighting during rain makes the red frogs pretty hard to pick out

if this quest doesn't have a follow up called the frog prince, I will be disappointed

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Just discovered how to add items to spells about 20 hours into the game and hoo boy.

BTW what determines if the prompt for Noctis to help out during an ally's technique appears or not?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 7, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Just discovered how to add items to spells about 20 hours into the game and hoo boy.

BTW what determines if the prompt for Noctis to help out during an ally's technique appears or not?

Link Strikes happen when you attack from behind nearby a party member if that's what you mean.

Edit: Oh you mean the abilities. It pops normally if the monster doesn't die from the attack itself. But some abilities don't have follow ups to them.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I have been enjoying this game more than I feel like I should. The boy band thing put me off, but the game itself and the humor makes it stand out. I've only just got into the second area, but I played the dog out of the first and I hope I discovered most everything, but I'm sure I overlooked something.

This is probably the first Final Fantasy that doesn't feel horribly Japan with craziness. Maybe it's grounded? Sort of reminds me of 8 with the gardens and the cars, but without the unlikeable hero (...).

The story bits are so far just bits to get something across. I don't feel like I'm being force fed Japanese culture/philosophy and so far I appreciate that. I feel like the characters are good and whimsy enough that I can tolerate the narrative and enjoy the game for what it is. It's also not sexist (yet, too badly save the cheesecake Cid daughter), which I was cringing for, so that's good. As a grrl gamer I give this one two thumbs up! Super fun, doesn't make you too embarrassed to play it! Go get it if you can! :)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Some techniques just don't have prompts.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Link Strikes happen when you attack from behind nearby a party member if that's what you mean.

Edit: Oh you mean the abilities. It pops normally if the monster doesn't die from the attack itself. But some abilities don't have follow ups to them.

Now that I think about it this happens mostly with Gladio's gently caress-huge swings, so you're probably right and they're just dying before Noct can pitch in.

The Titanic posted:

I have been enjoying this game more than I feel like I should. The boy band thing put me off, but the game itself and the humor makes it stand out. I've only just got into the second area, but I played the dog out of the first and I hope I discovered most everything, but I'm sure I overlooked something.

It put me off at first too but I've learned to just embrace their dweebiness.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 7, 2016

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So how long will this point of no return in chapter 4 lock me out of the open world, and is there anything I won't be able to do once I go past it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain Baal posted:

They need to loving lower the encounter rate of Imperial Soldiers, I am tired of these fuckers dropping in the middle of fights I am trying to have against Demons and Giant Snakes, for real.

I always keep a high octane lightning spell on hand for when those jokers show up.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

So how long will this point of no return in chapter 4 lock me out of the open world, and is there anything I won't be able to do once I go past it?

You're back to open world in Chapter 6, 4 and 5 are super short if you just focus on the objectives.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You're back to open world in Chapter 6, 4 and 5 are super short if you just focus on the objectives.

Doesn't lock me out of anything afterwards? No cities or questgivers get nuked or anything like that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

Doesn't lock me out of anything afterwards? No cities or questgivers get nuked or anything like that?

No.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

evrae posted:

Yep, he wasn't audible in that scene without the subtitles.

Where do you turn subtitles on?

Megasabin posted:

Is it worth spending any points on the grid with teammates non-technique skills? I gave them all their first ability, and am not impressed. They use it seldomly and randomly.

The teamwork abilities seem pretty appropriately costed. The issue is that there are a bunch of beginner options on other trees that are way undercosted like Hang In, Light Phase, and Regroup.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering why Ignis is glowing like a twilight vampire, you just saw him activate Analyze. So stop complaining that he never activates Analyze. You may continue complaining that it is confusing and generally useless.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

DalaranJ posted:

Where do you turn subtitles on?

The teamwork abilities seem pretty appropriately costed. The issue is that there are a bunch of beginner options on other trees that are way undercosted like Hang In, Light Phase, and Regroup.

Incidentally, for anyone wondering why Ignis is glowing like a twilight vampire, you just saw him activate Analyze. So stop complaining that he never activates Analyze. You may continue complaining that it is confusing and generally useless.

And to add to that, the icon for the Anaylize shows up on the side of the monster's name if you're looking at it but the actual Analyze window doesn't show up until you lock onto it.

• Locked thread