Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I recently got a MVS game too but it's not exactly windjammers/TSS tier

I have a huge amount of nostalgia for this game though, probably my first ever exposure to neo-geo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
I prefer the Japanese Original; Flying power disc.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I recently picked up a modded PSOne SCPH-101 on ebay. It is cosmetically in amazing condition, and the seller apparently calibrated the laser to better read backups.
Not sure how much that calibration helped because some games seem to take a lot longer to load than they should...anyway some issues I am having:

In a few instances the consoles freezes after the PS splash screen on boot up.

I have also had issues of memory cards causing the controller to lock up, the console not booting properly as described above, and the memory card utility to freeze.

I have tried a total of 3 different memory cards. I have cleaned the contacts on all of them. It seems that if a certain memory card is inserted into slot 2, some of the issues flare up.

It seems like an easy work around just to leave only one memory card plugged in, but are these common problems or is something loose inside?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Samsho's better than those other games.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Hi, friends. Been a bit since I've been in this thread, but wanted to say I'm offloading a very good condition 3DO with five games and boxed controllers on SA-Mart.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800791&perpage=40

UnhandledException
Jun 27, 2016

Not enough memories.

falz posted:

I'm doing the math on that + controller + multicart vs cdz or aes. Do any burnable multi game CDs exist?

:retrogames:

When I did the math, I ended up with a Universe BIOS modded NGCD. It's harder to decide now with the new flash carts becoming available, but I do like the exclusive features, ports, etc on NGCD. But really, a cheap copy of Windjammers seemed like a no brainer.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Samsho's better than those other games.

I really don't like TSS at all but windjammers is good as hell even though the hype around it is weird, samsho is an absolute classic though and I meant "tier" as in price because samsho is one of the cheapest MVS games there is (sub $20)

UnhandledException posted:

When I did the math, I ended up with a Universe BIOS modded NGCD. It's harder to decide now with the new flash carts becoming available, but I do like the exclusive features, ports, etc on NGCD. But really, a cheap copy of Windjammers seemed like a no brainer.

yeah NGCD is a great way to do neo geo on the cheap, especially if you're not into the later fighters that much as that's where the real bad load times are. for stuff like windjammers, neo turf masters, metal slug 1&2, aerofighters 2, neo drift out and a bunch of other good poo poo the NGCD is awesome

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 7, 2016

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

But Samsho 2 is better?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mister Chief posted:

But Samsho 2 is better?

This is the truth.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Mister Chief posted:

But Samsho 2 is better?

yeah in pretty much every way

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
For what it's worth, I have less than $100 in my consolized Neo Geo MV-1F. That model already has controller ports so all you need is a power supply and to build an rgb video/audio out port. If you need composite or Svideo, a cheap circuit can be built fairly easily that'll handle that.

Mine is in a clear plastic storage box with holes cut into it though, not nearly as cool as that omega case.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

For what it's worth, I have less than $100 in my consolized Neo Geo MV-1F. That model already has controller ports so all you need is a power supply and to build an rgb video/audio out port. If you need composite or Svideo, a cheap circuit can be built fairly easily that'll handle that.

Mine is in a clear plastic storage box with holes cut into it though, not nearly as cool as that omega case.

if you're gonna go DIY is consolizing really any easier than just building a supergun? I don't really know the exact process of consolizing but I assume you're just soldering the appropriate lines (RGB, sound, controls, power) to the MVS JAMMA edge itself, you could just solder them to an edge connector instead and be able to play a whole lot more

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
In the case of the MV-1F it's easier than a supergun because all you need is like eight wires and a video jack. While you could solder directly to the jamma edge it is better not to, there are other points you can tap the signals.

If you need to build the rgb to ntsc circuit or controller ports for an MVS that doesn't have them then yeah a supergun is probably easier, but I also like having a console instead of a pcb so I'm just weird that way.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Miles McCloud posted:

In the case of the MV-1F it's easier than a supergun because all you need is like eight wires and a video jack. While you could solder directly to the jamma edge it is better not to, there are other points you can tap the signals.

If you need to build the rgb to ntsc circuit or controller ports for an MVS that doesn't have them then yeah a supergun is probably easier, but I also like having a console instead of a pcb so I'm just weird that way.

ah OK fair enough, I was thinking too much about my MV-1C that has none of those provisions like controller ports and line level audio out

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

One of these days I'll do something with my 2 slot.

*stares longingly at closet* :unsmith:

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Pegnose Pete posted:

I recently picked up a modded PSOne SCPH-101 on ebay. It is cosmetically in amazing condition, and the seller apparently calibrated the laser to better read backups.
Not sure how much that calibration helped because some games seem to take a lot longer to load than they should...anyway some issues I am having:

Are you using 3rd party memory cards? Those were notorious back in the day for causing all kinds of weird issues. But honestly, it sounds damaged/defective and I would send it back for a refund.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Ofecks posted:

Are you using 3rd party memory cards? Those were notorious back in the day for causing all kinds of weird issues. But honestly, it sounds damaged/defective and I would send it back for a refund.

They are first party memory cards. Yeah, I will email the seller and see what they say.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tv manufacturers will cash in on the retro craze by advertising LCDs with low input lag and good upscalers. Oh and scart inputs

I would actually be okay with having something like that.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I don't know if the retro gaming market is large enough to incentivize retooling and working in tech that big TV manufacturers having been dropping from production sets for decades.

In other news, I've only tried s-video so far on my JVC RGB monitor, but hot drat this is a nice display. Even without full RGB everything is crisp and clear, almost feels like an 'HDTV' of CRTs. Apparently these things were several thousand dollars/unit in the 1990s.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Code Jockey posted:

Stadium Events is $0.29 :lol:

What a lot of people don't realize is that some of us actually knew about Stadium Events back then: it was listed for cheap, but it didn't really exist in any inventories. I ordered a copy from Funco online for $0.29 in maybe 1999 or 2000 but it was "backordered." I'm still waiting for it.

I have some newsletters from about 1989 where there's one guy in the classifieds every month advertising looking for Stadium Events. He may be a time traveler.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.
Whoever was first on Funco's Stadium Events waiting list supposedly got one in the early 2000s. The people in the number-two and number-three spots never did.

Another tidbit: a copy of Stadium Events went for $40 on eBay back around 2001.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

shyduck posted:

These are always fun to look at when it comes to wondering how cheap games were: Funcoland circular from June 1999. (Big images, so right click and open in a new tab if you can't read them)

I was laid up from back surgery for a couple of months that year and remember asking my parents to bring the NES up from the basement and hook it into the living room TV. I asked them to buy a few games from Funcoland to keep me occupied.

8 Eyes
Flying Warriors
Gargoyle's Quest 2
Gremlins 2
Guardian Legend
Milon's Secret Castle
Predator
Shatterhand
Whomp Em

Grand total: $28.91

Fake edit: Possibly also P.O.W. at $2.99 I think maybe?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If this is not a good thread to ask this, apologies.

For work I bought us a cocktail cabinet with 50 classic arcade games. I really enjoy playing Donkey Kong on it. I thought I'd be smart and emulate it at home so I bought a $80 Qanba fightstick. Apparently I'm a huge idiot because Donkey Kong and most of its contemporaries are 4-way joystick games. This fightstick is a modern 8 way and Google tells me I can't really do poo poo about this?

Where can I find a half-decent (doesn't have to be amazing) pre-made 4-way USB stick? Everything comes up as DIY parts.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ranter posted:

If this is not a good thread to ask this, apologies.

For work I bought us a cocktail cabinet with 50 classic arcade games. I really enjoy playing Donkey Kong on it. I thought I'd be smart and emulate it at home so I bought a $80 Qanba fightstick. Apparently I'm a huge idiot because Donkey Kong and most of its contemporaries are 4-way joystick games. This fightstick is a modern 8 way and Google tells me I can't really do poo poo about this?

Where can I find a half-decent (doesn't have to be amazing) pre-made 4-way USB stick? Everything comes up as DIY parts.

I think those Quanbas have Sanwa JLF joysticks, so you would install this:

https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-gt-8f-4-8-way-restrictor-plate/

Can you open it up and take a picture? I could tell you exactly what part you need (it may actually already have this in there)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ah yes it came with those plate things. That's what they're for? Awesome.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ranter posted:

Ah yes it came with those plate things. That's what they're for? Awesome.

Yep, here's a video on how to set it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQLXRD-0GBg

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Actually I don't think it came with restrictors, just 2 other 'guide' shapes - circle and octagonal + the default square. There's no inner thing to turn.

edit: pretty sure I have to either replace the qanba stick with a sanwa then add the restrictor, or just buy another device that comes with a sanwa by default AND add the restrictor. Thanks for your help!

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 8, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ranter posted:

Actually I don't think it came with restrictors, just 2 other 'guide' shapes - circle and octagonal + the default square. There's no inner thing to turn.

Ahh, that isn't a Sanwa stick it's some weird thing used in the cheaper Qanbas. Here's something that may help:

https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/4250/4-way-restrictor-for-qanba-q1-joystick

edit: if you did replace the stick with a sanwa (which I recommend anyway, it's far better) it comes with the 4/8 way restrictor by default. you can get it here: https://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/

edit2: you could also replace it with a seimitsu LS-32, it also comes with a 4 way restrictor and it's a lot "clickier", if you like that feeling more. the sanwa (and presumably the clone in your stick) is more for fighting games and feels a bit different: https://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ls-32-01-joystick/

d0s fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 8, 2016

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Ordered it here with amazon prime shipping https://www.amazon.com/Sanwa-JLF-TP...=sanwa+joystick

Thanks so much for your help

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I am glad to see stickchat, I've dusted off my x-arcade to hook up to my retropie and I'm going to replace the lame stick and buttons. I like the sound of the JLF, I think I might go for that, even though cursory google searching is showing that I'm going to have to make a custom mounting plate for it.

e. I see that Happ sticks can be dropped in without a custom plate but I want a ball top, not a bat top, and all I see from Happ is bat top sticks

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 8, 2016

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Speaking of stickchat, what's a good entry level model? I want USB, and will probably add a microcontroller for other systems later. I passes up some cheap ps3 fightsticks recently as they felt really cheap but now I have no clue what the alternative would be

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Probably a used Mad Catz Fightstick Tournament Edition. A lot of people bought them during the Street Fighter 4 hype and they're always around and probably had the most mods made for them.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

e. I see that Happ sticks can be dropped in without a custom plate but I want a ball top, not a bat top, and all I see from Happ is bat top sticks

even disregarding the top, happ sticks are pure poo poo, they're not made with any kind of precision in mind, their only requirement is to not break when subjected to years in an american arcade

e:

the wizards beard posted:

Speaking of stickchat, what's a good entry level model? I want USB, and will probably add a microcontroller for other systems later. I passes up some cheap ps3 fightsticks recently as they felt really cheap but now I have no clue what the alternative would be

Anything with Sanwa or Seimitsu parts, just pick whatever case you like best. Look at stuff by Hori, MadCatz, and Qanba

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 8, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

here's what I use for PC and 360, Hori 360 RAP VX SE Kai, they go for around $130

This originally came with a Seimitsu LS-32 joystick which I replaced with a LS-56 which is very stiff and clicky and great for shooters. originally it had four colored Seimitsu PS-14-G buttons which I replaced with black ones because I thought it looked weird.

overall I like this thing but I want to replace the board with something more universal, the 360 stuff doesn't play nice with a few PC doujin shooters for some reason

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I finally got around to unboxing one of the weirder video game editions after several years (and moves) of it being boxed up.

It is especially odd because you're not really buying the game; the game is an accessory. It came with this hyper-limited (I think they made 77,777 of them or some such?) Japanese edition of Advent Children, and straight-up ships that way, it's actually meant to be mounted on the wall like it's a goddamn platinum album, it even comes with all the wall mount pieces and screws you'd need.

While it has exclusive disc art, its contents are otherwise the bog-standard FFVII International edition, with the 4th disc in a separate case.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Yeah, you're pretty much stuck with bat tops unless you go crazy with something like this. A happ competition stick is probably better quality then what the x-arcade came with, but wouldn't be too hard to install if you want more precision. Honestly I'd say to look into what upgrades would cost and then compare it to something like the madcatz alpha which already has the sanwa parts.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Apparently you can catch the boomerang in Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3. I did not know that when this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIU_iArlBfM

That is awesome. I never knew you could do that either! I love learning new things about games I played to death.

d0s posted:

I use Radio Shack contact cleaner for pots, it works great. My supergun started flickering and getting a blue tint randomly and it upset me because it was kind of a hard to get model and they were supposed to be good anyway, but it turns out something had just gotten in the tiny 3-gang pot that controls the brightness because contact cleaner not only fixed the problem but made the brightness control totally smooth, where previously it was always kind of a flickery control like the video equivalent of a noisy pot. It also brings things like pushbuttons back from the dead and works great as an edge connector cleaner, stuff rules

Could you link me to the exact one? I went to their site and they have quite a few contact cleaners. I don't want one that will destroy anything.

eshock posted:

Can anyone who's a huge accuracy sperg comment on the GB emulation in the everdrive gba? I'm thinking of getting one and wondering if I should get an everdrive gb at the same time. Does it do anything special to take advantage of the GB hardware or is it just a general purpose emulator that happens to run on the GBA? I know it's not running the games natively since the pins are on the wrong side, but I thought GBA software had access to the GB hardware at the same time.

I've noticed glitches in Goomba. For the longest time (it might still be the case) it could not properly handle the graphic of Link turning around in Link's Awakening. It always flashed some weird graphic every time you changed direction in the game. Also I believe there is no access to GB hardware in GBA mode because of the pins or voltage or something being completely different, but I can be completely wrong about that.

Code Jockey posted:

This reminds me, I was tidying up my retro cave tonight and looked at my 1702s, and got worried about how much time they have left. I treat them incredibly well and maybe power them on a few times a year for an hour or two tops, but I worry. :ohdear:

They're such good little CRTs. There's probably a million of them out there, I need to find a pallet of them, still shrinkwrapped, that's been sitting in a dry, temperature controlled warehouse for the last few decades.

I actually found a guy who had a warehouse of brand new 25" Wells Gardner arcade CRTs. I bought two of them off him, because I am nuts. So now I have two arcade monitors in my garage. Do I have to worry about it not being temperature controlled in there? Also, I wouldn't say it's wet or muggy in there, but it's not "dry" either. Will this mess up my CRTs after a decade or something?

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know if the retro gaming market is large enough to incentivize retooling and working in tech that big TV manufacturers having been dropping from production sets for decades.

In other news, I've only tried s-video so far on my JVC RGB monitor, but hot drat this is a nice display. Even without full RGB everything is crisp and clear, almost feels like an 'HDTV' of CRTs. Apparently these things were several thousand dollars/unit in the 1990s.

congrats! Ya, s-video and even composite on PVM's and other high quality monitors look great. Heck, even composite on my old Commodore 64 monitor looked better than most TVs and composite/s-video on my PVM now reminds me of playing my NES and N64 on the Commodore monitor (after my C64 disk drive died and my parents didn't buy a replacement).

The pass- through on these PVMs are great, when I stream, I will connect a console to it via s-video and then run the s-video output to my capture card.

univbee posted:

I finally got around to unboxing one of the weirder video game editions after several years (and moves) of it being boxed up.

It is especially odd because you're not really buying the game; the game is an accessory. It came with this hyper-limited (I think they made 77,777 of them or some such?) Japanese edition of Advent Children, and straight-up ships that way, it's actually meant to be mounted on the wall like it's a goddamn platinum album, it even comes with all the wall mount pieces and screws you'd need.

While it has exclusive disc art, its contents are otherwise the bog-standard FFVII International edition, with the 4th disc in a separate case.

That's pretty cool, something I'd like to have on my wall. Oh well, will just wait for the Cloud amiibo to cover my FF7 memorabilia.

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 8, 2016

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

FireMrshlBill posted:

That's pretty cool, something I'd like to have on my wall. Oh well, will just wait for the Cloud amiibo to cover my FF7 memorabilia.

It's also the only time I've seen a videogame being explicitly packaged in a way where it's not really meant to be played (even though you totally could, the data's all there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
It will go well with my Cloud body pillow.

• Locked thread