Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Week 17. Dallas is 14-1. Garrett trots out the starters for the first series. Dak gets a season ending injury. A spunky journeyman backup QB named Tony Romo takes over the reins of the franchise, inexplicably leading it to a Super Bowl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Doltos posted:

Week 17. Dallas is 14-1. Garrett trots out the starters for the first series. Dak gets a season ending injury. A spunky journeyman backup QB named Tony Romo takes over the reins of the franchise, inexplicably leading it to a Super Bowl

Where he breaks his back and the Raiders walk to a 45 - 3 victory

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

CyberPingu posted:

Khalil Mack is basically a war crime at this point.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

CyberPingu posted:

Or! Mark Sanchez quarterbacks another 1 loss team where everyone wonders "what could have been..."

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Doltos posted:

Tony Romo is closer to Matt Cassell than Tom Brady. This season has proven it.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
Tony Romo

system QB

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

a new study bible! posted:

Tony Romo is closer to Matt Cassell than Tom Brady. This season has proven it.

This is a really good troll.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Tony Romo is a fantastic football player. He can ball. He's proven time and time again that he can win with a variety of talent and situations available.

Tony Romo is also a limited football player. His arm strength has never been good and his accuracy issues are hidden by his great decision making abilities. He was never the fastest or strongest QB, but the dude can ball. It's respectable.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Tony Romo is actually Hitler, returned from the darkest depths of hell to bring pain, terror and misfortune to America.

I'm a big fan of his work.:godwin:

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The easiest way to spot a fan with low football iq is ask their opinion on Tony Romo's past seasons.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Spacebump posted:

The easiest way to spot a fan with low football iq is ask their opinion on Tony Romo's past seasons.

:romo:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Spacebump posted:

What if they just start laughing and never actually get any words out?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
My answer to that is "Romo's career would be entirely different if Martin Gramatica could throw a loving block."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

He couldn't have carried the team on his back any harder

The first man turned to jelly on national TV (because where else would an NFC East game be)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Lote posted:

My answer to that is "Romo's career would be entirely different if he could hold a loving football still for a FG."

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

Matt Ryan is a fantastic football player. He can ball. He's proven time and time again that he can win with a variety of talent and situations available.

Matt Ryan is also a limited football player. His arm strength has never been good and his accuracy issues are hidden by his great decision making abilities. He was never the fastest or strongest QB, but the dude can ball. It's respectable.

Also accurate.

Shinjobi posted:

Matt Ryan is actually Hitler, returned from the darkest depths of hell to bring pain, terror and misfortune to America.

I'm a big fan of his work.:godwin:

Also accurate.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Doltos posted:

Week 17. Dallas is 14-1. Garrett decides to sit Dak for a game but he is called upon early when Longhorn Jordan Hicks finishes the job he started last season and ends Romo's career. Sorry Bears.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Week 14. Philly fans have nothing to look forward to except a mid-first-round draft pick picked up from a desperate Vikings team, and so turn to writing NFC East fanfiction about Quarterbacks whose "only" semi-successful careers still eclipse their franchise's all-time best.

am i doing this right

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

TheChirurgeon posted:

Week 14. Philly fans have nothing to look forward to except a mid-first-round draft pick picked up from a desperate Vikings team, and so turn to writing NFC East fanfiction about Quarterbacks whose "only" semi-successful careers still eclipse their franchise's all-time best.

am i doing this right

I'd take McNabb over Romo any day of the week, tbh

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

To be fair, Wentz could only eclipse McNabb by making it to the Superbowl and then being out of shape, but just enough in shape to hold off his uncontrollable vomiting until the game ends.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

aBagorn posted:

I'd take McNabb over Romo any day of the week, tbh

I wouldn't. Romo was a better passer and did more with less talent around him and worse-coaching in the post-Parcells years.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Yeah Romo is better than McNabb, that's not really an argument.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah Romo is better than McNabb, that's not really an argument.

Why are you breaking character now

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Because McNabb (under) threw the Superbowl.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I still like him and think chunky soup is good, but also gently caress him. TO played like a loving champ and deserved a ring.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
McNabb kinda sucked a lot of the time, but his playoff record is a hell of a lot better than Tony Romo's

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

That was so long ago that it's hard to remember, but that was probably more thanks to the defense (remember when Philly's defense was a thing?) and Westbrook.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Well I think now we're going to get into the "weapons" argument (huh, how familiar - the Eagles don't prioritize skill positions) but McNabb with Dez and Witten for as long as Romo had them would have been deadly.

e: \/ nah romo is good. He's arguably the most talented QB in Cowboys history. I just think peak McNabb is better. like McNabb with 2004s weapons for multiple seasons

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 8, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Romo was no more than a journeyman backup QB who fell into a good situation and then confirmed his mediocre talent when poo poo got real (the playoffs).

Notice how we're using the past tense to talk about Romo? yeah

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

I wouldn't. Romo was a better passer and did more with less talent around him and worse-coaching in the post-Parcells years.

No. When he came in there was Terrell Owens and Jason Witten, Miles Austin had a few good years, then came Dez Bryant, then Terrence Williams after that. The defense was bad to mediocre for a good chunk of his career but there was always enough there to score your way to the playoffs.

Outside of the year and a half of Terrell Owens McNabb's best receiving options were Brian Westbrook, a year of Lesean McCoy and and two years of Desean Jackson. Those Eagles defenses early in his career were good, but not great, and certainly not good enough to get them deep into the playoffs on their own merit.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Cash Monet posted:

No. When he came in there was Terrell Owens and Jason Witten, Miles Austin had a few good years, then came Dez Bryant, then Terrence Williams after that. The defense was bad to mediocre for a good chunk of his career but there was always enough there to score your way to the playoffs.

Outside of the year and a half of Terrell Owens McNabb's best receiving options were Brian Westbrook, a year of Lesean McCoy and and two years of Desean Jackson. Those Eagles defenses early in his career were good, but not great, and certainly not good enough to get them deep into the playoffs on their own merit.

Yeah, saying McNabb had more talent around him than Romo is revisionist as all hell. Lets also not forget the monstrous offensive line that's been built up over the last 3-4 years.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Chilichimp posted:

Yeah, saying McNabb had more talent around him than Romo is revisionist as all hell. Lets also not forget the monstrous offensive line that's been built up over the last 3-4 years.

The first year that line came together was 2014; Romo didn't get to play in the 2015 version. Let's not pretend that Phil Costa was some ridiculously good center or suggest that they were in a good place when they were desperately trying to sign Brian Waters to help bolster the pass protection.

Cash Monet posted:

McNabb had Owens and got an amazing year out of him, before his inability to get along with Owens drove the receiver away. Westbrook and McCoy were leagues better than any RB the Cowboys had between Smith and Zeke, and a decent year and a half of Austin doesn't stack up to DeSean Jackson lighting poo poo up. The Eagles had better offensive line play for almost all of the Romo v McNabb years. The Defensive comparison is about even overall, but leans toward McNabb, since the Eagles had a more consistently decent defense. The Cowboys' secondary has been at best average since Woodson retired.

Honestly, where does this poo poo about Austin come from? Miles Austin only started a full season once in his career, a sub-1k yard, 6-TD effort where he was the beneficiary of Dez Bryant coming onto the team. He was good in short bursts when he was healthy, but he was always the beneficiary of having better talent around him. Are you not familiar with the "#2 receiver in a good offense" phenomenon? Do you not see teams get burned trying to pay those guys in free agency every year, only to find out they're poo poo when they leave?

E: Also lol at the idea that you can think a team that went to the NFCCG multiple times and a Super Bowl somehow was talent-deficient compared to a team that went 8-8 three straight years. Honestly where do you come up with this nonsense

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 8, 2016

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

McNabb had Owens and got an amazing year out of him

McNabb had Owens one year and went to the Super Bowl. Romo had Owens for 3 years and ?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

hehe lol tony romo field goal

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah Demarco Murray sure was and is garbage.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

TheChirurgeon posted:

McNabb had Owens and got an amazing year out of him, before his inability to get along with Owens drove the receiver away.

I'll take your points on everything else except this. Owens received alot of ludicrous and baseless criticism during his career but he was absolutely a dick to Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Murray had a great season in 2014 and a decent one in 2013, he was injured large parts of '11 and '12.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Cash Monet posted:

I'll take your points on everything else except this. Owens received alot of ludicrous and baseless criticism during his career but he was absolutely a dick to Donovan McNabb and Jeff Garcia.

Yeah I see your point here. He absolutely was a dick to McNabb, but that shouldn't have precluded them from playing together. He got along fine in Dallas for three years, but that may have just been because he was ousted in Philly.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

When Murray has been able to run behind great lines in Dallas and Tennessee, he's looked very good. When he had to run behind a shithouse, makeshift line in Philly, not so much. Like Miles Austin, Murray has only ever played one full season for a team, and no, he's never been as good as Westbrook or McCoy.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

When Murray has been able to run behind great lines in Dallas and Tennessee, he's looked very good. When he had to run behind a shithouse, makeshift line in Philly, not so much. Like Miles Austin, Murray has only ever played one full season for a team, and no, he's never been as good as Westbrook or McCoy.

You can't really blame the line or Murray for his performance in Philadelphia. Chip Kelly ran a read option offense with a quarterback who was not a threat to run so Murray was hit in the backfield by the unblocked defender before he could even get to the line of scrimmage on most plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

You can't really blame the line or Murray for his performance in Philadelphia. Chip Kelly ran a read option offense with a quarterback who was not a threat to run so Murray was hit in the backfield by the unblocked defender before he could even get to the line of scrimmage on most plays.

Sure I can. Ryan Mathews and Darren Sproles both did better in the same system, averaging higher YPC totals and doing more as receivers. And for a good chunk of the season, Murray was hurt, which has been the story of his career up to this point. I like Murray, but he's not loving Barry Sanders.

On the other hand, McCoy is a legitimately special talent and trading him away was loving idiotic

• Locked thread