Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back
as a horrible goon i like my beep boop forklift spreadsheets so I was name dropping just in case anyone wanted to look it up i wasn't trying to smug parade u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my gym is so crowded in the evenings

i cannot imagine it in 4 weeks

:negative:

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Im usually really smug about lifting in my garage but now its like negative zero degrees and it kind of sucks

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Green Crayons posted:

you should try decreasing the quantity of types of exercises, and focus on increasing number of sets. also, as you're on the four-day schedule (best schedule), you should try devoting each day to a major lift (squat, bench, dead, ohp) and then add in two or three accessories/core, depending on how long your focus lift takes.

this is not ~expert advice~, just your schedule looks like what I used to do but then I evolved to doing what I just recommended, and I found it much preferable. might help you jump off the "gotta find a program" railroad you're on.

Yeah, i thought about doing it that way at least how I think you are suggesting. Where you focus on a heavy lift for strength, then do lighter weight higher volume after. I dunno, right now I just wanna do something different for the time being so I'll try out my thing for a bit, then reevaluate in a month or two.

Also since I'm in the gently caress it let's experiment phase, I decided to give high bar squats a shot. They feel...weird. and it hurts my traps/neck. I can deal with it, but I just hope I'm not putting the bar in the wrong place. It's about 3 or 4 inchs forward of my low bar position, right on my traps and the bar goes across my shoulders probably about where the posterior and middle delts meet, so slightly rear of perfect center if you're looking straight down. The good part was I was able to get down really deep without much butt wink at all compared to low bar, also my knees did alright.

Also I think my abs got a lot stronger working this job I have....I was strong enough on cable crunches to do like 100-120lbs which hurt my elbows just to even hold onto in a static state. I forget what weight I used to do on them last time, around 60 or 70 I guess.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

sassassin posted:

Are you pulling them tight around your wrists? I've seen some guys yank them tight before wrapping them around the bar, but you're supposed to keep them fairly loose. The loop should be at the bottom of your palm, not at the wrist, before your rev the motorbike.

I'm a big fat 170lbs ama

I tried this yesterday and while better, still isn't comfortable at all. I guess I will stick to my wussy 30 dollar straps.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FedEx Mercury posted:

This two guys were using a squat rack for 40 minutes but one of them was doing 4 plates so what can you say.

There should be some sort of flag you can fly in the gym that means, "Hey we're going to be camped here for a while so just ask to jump in."

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Thesaurus posted:

Im usually really smug about lifting in my garage but now its like negative zero degrees and it kind of sucks

Same garage buddy, same. Run inside between sets to warm back up a little. Alternativly, close the garage door and burn some hydrocarbons

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I'm already up to 360 pounds on my deadlift

400 is so close

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
i read 400 is an important number on the internet, that's why it matters to me

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Cong
rats
I always hurt myself in some non-lifting accident (falling, running into stuff,etc) shortly after i get prs. Watch out!

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Zzulu posted:

i read 400 is an important number on the internet, that's why it matters to me

405 man. 4 plates.

You will be officially swoled up

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
i wish it was acceptable to say 'no' when someone asks to work in. i feel like i should be allowed to negotiate a new social contract where i never ask anyone if i can work in with them if they don't ask me.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

buddhanc posted:

405 man. 4 plates.

Nah you'll be itching for 495 soon as you hit 4 plates.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

buddhanc posted:

405 man. 4 plates.

It's only 396 in the civilised world.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i wish it was acceptable to say 'no' when someone asks to work in. i feel like i should be allowed to negotiate a new social contract where i never ask anyone if i can work in with them if they don't ask me.

I say no if I have less than 90 seconds left. I don't want to help them switch weights.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I just fidget and look at my shoes until the say they'll come back later,

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
if they are a girl, they are allowed to work in with me

if they are a boy, they gotta be a twink otherwise it's a big no no

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Be a normal human being and just say "I'll be done in a few minutes man". Speaking to other people isn't hard.

Shoulder is getting better. I can deadlift again. I can't do any press exercises or OHP but I can do other shoulder exercises.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Tiny Lowtax posted:

Be a normal human being and just say "I'll be done in a few minutes man". Speaking to other people isn't hard.

Shoulder is getting better. I can deadlift again. I can't do any press exercises or OHP but I can do other shoulder exercises.

low weight facepulls with strict form made my shoulders/rotorcuff feel so much better, might be worth a try but obviously ianad and dont know the extent of your injury

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm taking the rest of the week off and it's driving me insane. I have a brain disease that makes me think if I don't show up I am going to lose my gains and not make progress. Tempted to go do cardio for an hour and a half. My idle heart rate is over 80bpm and improving conditioning will greatly help any of my squats that are more than 2 reps. Maybe.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Khorne posted:

My idle heart rate is over 80bpm

:stare:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Do some HIIT. 2 hours of cardio is a waste of time.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Khorne posted:

I'm taking the rest of the week off and it's driving me insane. I have a brain disease that makes me think if I don't show up I am going to lose my gains and not make progress. Tempted to go do cardio for an hour and a half. My idle heart rate is over 80bpm and improving conditioning will greatly help any of my squats that are more than 2 reps. Maybe.

That's..,quite high. You might want to start with some low intensity steady exercise. Like walking briskly for 30-45 minutes or something.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Khorne posted:

are you on any meds? those can really gently caress with your heart rate. not gunna tell you to stop taking things you need obv but it might explain it. you also could just be in horrible shape

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

bamhand posted:

Do some HIIT. 2 hours of cardio is a waste of time.

I do boot camp HIIT stuff twice a week along with my lifting and it's very helpful. Might slightly drain my gains but the endurance I have is incredible

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my idle HR is like 50, if i concentrate i can get get it below 40

my max HR is like 195 lol

in cycling the idea of "slow base miles" has no merit except for maybe rest days to keep the legs loose. mostly its all about getting your HR/power into the tempo zone for a couple hours of steady output and then big power efforts thrown in like on hills or sprints. or intervals until you puke to train your sprint for big wattage numbers.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 7, 2016

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

Tiny Lowtax posted:

i mean it's one thing if you're almost done but what if you're just starting your set. i think i've only seen one person be like categorically 'no you cannot work in with me' and it seemed insane.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

After getting bored with 5x5 I'm doing a PHUL variation with incline barbell and dumbbell bench presses. While I'm doing them I mostly feel it in my forearms, but my chest is sore the next day so I guess they're working? Does this just mean I have weak forearms and need to HTFU and keep doing them until it gets better, or is this a problem with the angle of the bench, my form, or something else?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

numberoneposter posted:

my idle HR is like 50, if i concentrate i can get get it below 40

my max HR is like 195 lol

in cycling the idea of "slow base miles" has no merit except for maybe rest days to keep the legs loose. mostly its all about getting your HR/power into the tempo zone for a couple hours of steady output and then big power efforts thrown in like on hills or sprints. or intervals until you puke to train your sprint for big wattage numbers.

Low heart rate buddy! Though yours seems to be from working out. Mine is natural, so it might be indicative of heart problems.

Gonna die deadlifting at some time when my heart loving explodes.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
goons help

i started lifting again after a very long break(over a year)

and my right side, specially my right upper back, trics, and my chest are very sore

and then a few days after that particular lift where I lifted way too heavy. . there is like a fat lump under my nipple and now it hurts

ive never had an exercise related injury like this

fitness people seem to think its because i've been sedentary for so long my body was flushed with hormones and this was the reaction to it

as a man and good american i refuse to see a doctor until fluid comes out

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if you are in pain the day after it means u did good

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
pain i can deal with but why the sudden fatty lump underneathe ONLY my right nipple

a mystery of science...

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Probably cancer :rip:

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Acelerion posted:

Probably cancer :rip:

if it came out of nowhere sure but after lifting..im not so sure

i am very oily maybe its some kind of oily gland thing

gosh lifting is hard

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
That was weakness trying to leave your body

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Are you currently breast feeding?

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Pon de Bundy posted:

goons help

i started lifting again after a very long break(over a year)

and my right side, specially my right upper back, trics, and my chest are very sore

and then a few days after that particular lift where I lifted way too heavy. . there is like a fat lump under my nipple and now it hurts

ive never had an exercise related injury like this

fitness people seem to think its because i've been sedentary for so long my body was flushed with hormones and this was the reaction to it

as a man and good american i refuse to see a doctor until fluid comes out

its probably a cyst ull be fine but it might not really go away

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pon de Bundy posted:

gosh lifting is hard

nah

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah im thinking its a cyst...oh..i use this product called Sweet Sweat to warm myself up before i work out

i got it at the Arnold in 2013

holy poo poo...that stuff is so oily and greasy..that could be what did it...

i only use it because it was free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winnie the Shit
Dec 25, 2005

the cat came back

Khorne posted:

mine is like 95 and its bc of Wellbutrin. then my psych made me get an ekg and my heart is fine. then she asked me if i wanted to increase the dose. uhhh no ill get so edgy I'll turn into a literal knife. im probably going to die either way because it was like 80 on no meds.

today at the gym old man oly had compression tights on and sat down smiling and watching me squat. on my second set he was standing and smiling. before my last set he came over and told me my squats look good. then he watched my amrap set from the other side of the room and i only got 6 letting us both down immensely.

i didn't go to the deli and i didn't get a winky face emoji text :(