Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Guy A. Person posted:

Yeah but the whole stated point of this was that they wanted to do a younger Peter Parker who had to deal with teenager problems to be truer to the original comics, which Marvel is the best at doing. The two previous incarnations were seniors on their way out of high school and you only got some token bullying scenes from the high school setting. Giving him a wealthy financier is about as far from the original comics you can possibly get, why would he worry about bullying when he's an Avenger with Tony Stark mentoring him and lending him money?

Yes, the real thing that's saving Peter Parker from worrying about bullying is Uncle Tony and his money. Otherwise how would a guy with precognition and super speed, strength, and agility ever survive the hellish bullies of High School?

Burkion posted:

They're the ones bringing it back to his roots.

I'm not.

They're the ones who keep jerking fans off with Ditko designs without any of Ditko's style.

They're the ones making this about kid Peter Parker again.

They could make this about Peter in space, they could do any number of things with it. They're not. They're just doing the original stories again but this time with the edges filed off so no one has to feel uncomfortable.

At this point if you're still linking design style and story in a movie adaptation of a comic property I've got to wonder if you were bitten by a radioactive eternally optimistic naif.

Honestly I never understood the pining for scrappy victim of the "Parker Luck" Spidey. Especially since it's always "scraping by" like a Freshman at an out of state college. Man, my supermodel girlfriend and the sweetest Aunt in the world always have my back and love me despite my flakey nature due to refusing to tell them I'm Spider-Man. Guess I'll go back to my room at my Aunt's house and mope in between my studies with my mentor who is a Nobel Prize level scientist and selling my selfies to a hilariously over the top rear end in a top hat. Ugh, just ripped my sophisticated costume, which I learned to design and sew in my spare time between being a professional photographer, genius inventor, and rising star in the sciences. Curse my Parker Luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Most comic books are power fantasies in some variety, but in a world of Batmen and Supermen and Flashes, being an orphan dude with money problems and a boss that treats you like poo poo is very real and significant step down.

I mean, Spider-Man screws up. He doesn't win every time. That's kind of the appeal of the fantasy - he's clutch when it matters but on a day-to-day basis he suffers a hundred petty indignities.

Also it's pretty obvious that Spider-Man lost his way in the 90s - perhaps permanently - so I'm not sure the "rising star" stuff is exactly appropriate. He was still a nobody when I met the character in the 80s.

Edit: I just had a little bit of insight on why I like Snyder's Superman so much: he pretty much is early Spider-Man. He does it because it's right, but he suffers all this outrageous poo poo, vilification, isn't materially rewarded, and just get dumped on for it. He still keeps doing it anyway. He's even a goddamn reporter with a boss that shits on him!

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 7, 2016

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Edit: I just had a little bit of insight on why I like Snyder's Superman so much: he pretty much is early Spider-Man. He does it because it's right, but he suffers all this outrageous poo poo, vilification, isn't materially rewarded, and just get dumped on for it. He still keeps doing it anyway. He's even a goddamn reporter with a boss that shits on him!

He also feels responsible for his father figure dying.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Burkion posted:

If you're going to evoke Ditko in the imagery wouldn't it make sense to evoke Ditko in the story?

No of course it wouldn't because Ditko's style is about as far from what Marvel or Sony wants to do with a super hero property as possible. They want to keep Spider-Man sanitized and kid friendly, despite the fact that he should be a reflection of youth- frustrated, bitter, wanting to change the world for the better but not knowing how to. This was true in the 60s when he was made and it's still true today.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe Peter will have a falling out with Tony during the movie because of Tony's shady poo poo. It'd be nice to be wrong and have a good Spider-Man movie again.

Not sure we know the story yet, or whether it evokes Ditko or not. The interesting element of those early stories was the conflict between Ditko and Lee and how that played out with the character, a fight that Lee eventually won. I don't know if we can tell if this film will reflect that from thirty seconds of footage to be honest.

Anyway, we've had two recent films about self-centered bitter Spider-Man and they were indulgent, poorly conceived and even more terribly executed rubbish. I don't mind them dialing down some of the bitterness.

I also don't think it's a bad thing that a Spider-Man film is kid friendly, y'know, because it's Spider-Man.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Pussy Quipped posted:

He also feels responsible for his father figure dying.

Definitely some parallels there.

"I let my father die because I trusted him. Because he was convinced that I had to wait. That the world was not ready. "

It's a bit more complicated then "I had a chance to save my father-figure uncle but I was a selfish self-centered jerk" In fact it's rather selfless. But still would haunt someone.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 7, 2016

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

spider-man was basically the character that characterized the sea change in '60s comics towards more human things like character drama and relationship issues when dc had been going through that wacky silver age we have countless ridiculous superman and batman covers of to laugh at these days

the scrappy victim stuff is why people paid attention to spider-man in the first place, it's natural they'd want a return to that stuff

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I hope the movie goes full Ditko and we get Peter Parker the libertarian.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Maybe they want to subtly reinforce the Great Power & Responsibility idea since they aren't doing the Uncle Ben story again. Tony's tech and support could be this movie's spider bite - a secret boost to his power and confidence that he can't tell anyone about, which he sees as an answer to all his problems but then has to be humbled by.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Just go meta and have Spider-Man keep trying to be popular and failing and going through an identity crisis where he comes up with increasingly inane superhero costumes/monickers in a bid for Youtube likes and snapchat followers.

You've even got that time in the comics Spider-Man pretended to be four different superheroes for reasons that are complicated and stupid to base this off of!

In the end M.J can be like "oh Peter, it's not how many followers you have that matters----just that you do right by the people who care about you" and because he's a lovely sixteen year old he's like "YOU DON'T KNOW ME! MY UNCLE IS DEEEEAAAD" well that's my Spider-Man movie idea thanks for reading.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

boy makes his one nuts scientific innovation(web-slingers) but doesn't do much more science poo poo beyond that because crime-fighting ends up so much more stimulating than being cooped up in a lab

Peter Parker would be an overnight millionaire if he sold his web formula to 3M.

UmOk posted:

I hope the movie goes full Ditko and we get Peter Parker the libertarian.

With great power comes great bootstraps.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Detective No. 27 posted:

Peter Parker would be an overnight millionaire if he sold his web formula to 3M.
I know there was an issue where Peter was hard up and tried to sell his web fluid, but the company scientists told him that no one would want an unbelievably strong adhesive that is also temporary and biodegradable.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Detective No. 27 posted:

Actually, they would screw him over, and he wouldn't have the money to fight them in court.

And then we find out that 3M is owned by the Kingpin.

(His name is "Peter" because he's always getting dicked over)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

I know there was an issue where Peter was hard up and tried to sell his web fluid, but the company scientists told him that no one would want an unbelievably strong adhesive that is also temporary and biodegradable.

You figure that they'd be able to tweak it to make it more permanent and weaker variations, but I didn't get a PHD in fake comic book science.

But yeah, they would screw him over even if he did sell it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mysterio impersonated Spider-Man once to commit crimes in his name and Peter proved an impostor did it because the webbing didn't break down after an hour like his. You ask me, he's the idiot.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

McSpanky posted:

Mysterio impersonated Spider-Man once to commit crimes in his name and Peter proved an impostor did it because the webbing didn't break down after an hour like his. You ask me, he's the idiot.

the classic 'if the web doesn't dissolve, spider-man you must absolve' gambit

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

He almost got...Mysteriowned

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
P sure that Peter wouldn't want all of his enemies to have access to his web fluid at their local OfficeMax.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Maybe the plot of the new movie is Michael Keaton trying to steal Spiderman's secret fluid fomula after the homecoming dance.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

More like he's trying to steal Aunt May's secret fluid.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Why is Spider-Man hanging out in Washington D.C?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zzulu posted:

for bein a genius, spiderman is pretty drat bad at getting a job apparently

foreverially poor, despite superpowers and superintellect

He's a tech genius, not a business genius. Don't forget that Einstein worked a lovely job as a patent clerk and it wasn't because he had a secret passion for filing.

Also it's difficult to find steady jobs which give you the opportunity to disappear suddenly when you need to fight supervillains. Being a photographer for a daily newspaper wouldn't actually give Peter total freedom except for the fact that his one permanent assignment is "Get photos of Spider-Man".

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In the comics universe, he's first name basis with the likes of Tony Stark and Reed Richards. Surely one of them could put him on a retainer or something. Like, "Here's a living wage, hang tight and help me save the world once per year". 40k + dental is cheap for someone who could stop you getting crushed to death.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

In the comics universe, he's first name basis with the likes of Tony Stark and Reed Richards. Surely one of them could put him on a retainer or something. Like, "Here's a living wage, hang tight and help me save the world once per year". 40k + dental is cheap for someone who could stop you getting crushed to death.

Nowadays yeah, especially with how involved Peter is with everyone all the time.

Peter never used to be though. For all of the 60s and most of the 70s Peter had dick all to do with anyone outside of getting into pissing contests with Johnny of the Fantastic Four from time to time or maybe running into the X-Men, though I think he ran into the Inhumans more than them.

Comic book universes were also fundamentally different back then though. Back then, you could pull poo poo like Superman VS Spider-Man which flat out just said that the two always existed in teh same time line all the time and everything was hunkydoory Everything is in continuity

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

School trip? Visiting the Captain America museum?

Either way, there's a very small area he can web-sling in. It'd be very novel.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Proposition Joe posted:

He's pals with Obama.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

Web trampoline!
Web high wire!
Web sling shot!
Web uh... trebuchet!

Lots of ways to get around.

Edit: Web-uchet™!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I like that the average age of Comic Book Movie Fans has risen so much that people are unironically complaining about "kids these days" when talking about a 16-year old character.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

feedmyleg posted:

Reminds me of the comic where he was in the suburbs and could webswing his way to the city

Or when Kaine Parker relocated to Houston and realized that the skyline was much smaller than NYC

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Reminds me of the comic where he was in the suburbs and could webswing his way to the city

Or when Kaine Parker relocated to Houston and realized that the skyline was much smaller than NYC

I mean, even getting from Queens to the city would be very silly, it's not too far off from the suburbs in terms of average building height. Hell, Amazing Spider-Man had his home located in Woodside, which essentially is the suburbs with two-story houses with yards and such. Webslinging underneath the train structure would be only real way to go, which he actually did in Spider-Man. But hitching a ride on the top of the train would probably be faster and be a whole lot easier.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The internet is losing their minds over Manganiello and Johns suddenly following Arnie Hammer on twitter. Arnie took notice of this and had some fun on his own

https://twitter.com/4eyedRaven/status/805280277723365376

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah Spider-Man hates fighting crime out in the suburbs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
spiderman should take up a career in professional gaming, to connect with todays youth

his spidersense and SPIDER REFLEXES would make him unbeatable

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Not sure spider sense would work in a game, it's more of a heightening of the senses of what's going on around him, including touch, smell, hearing, vision. Not sure that works on a TV screen with dolby surround.

He would totally stream on Twitch, forget he was on air, and change into his costume though.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

greatn posted:

Not sure spider sense would work in a game, it's more of a heightening of the senses of what's going on around him, including touch, smell, hearing, vision. Not sure that works on a TV screen with dolby surround.

He would totally stream on Twitch, forget he was on air, and change into his costume though.

Spider-Sense is also a kind of danger sense though too, that can't always be explained by a heightening of senses. It's debatable whether it would help him in a game since sometimes it's used for very abstract definitions of danger or future threats that haven't actually materialized yet. Sometimes it's a "bad decision" sense and I know in one comic that was posted in one of the panel threads the heroes playing poker say they don't invite him because they think his Spider-Sense would give him an advantage.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
If Spider Sense warned him off bad decisions he's dumber than anyone thought.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lobok posted:

Web trampoline!
Web high wire!
Web sling shot!
Web uh... trebuchet!

Lots of ways to get around.

Edit: Web-uchet™!

The guy does own a car, you know.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Maybe the plot of the new movie is Spidey becoming the plucky young football coach of the ragtag HS team because his spider sense warns him which play the other team is going to run and they become champions.

But he's conflicted about sportsmanship.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Red Bones posted:

The guy does own a car, you know.

The end battle will be a duel between Spidey and Shocker in their respective buggies

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I think the Death of Gwen Stacy might have broken the Spider-Man comics

That buggy was made literally within 10 ish issues of her death. Around that same time, Aunt May nearly married Dock Ock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah Spider-Man hates fighting crime out in the suburbs

Love this issue. It was published the month I was born.

• Locked thread