Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I found a thing today when doing my thrift store run. Turns out it's still really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Hell yes. I remember playing that on PC. It was way ahead of its time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

That game was so sick.

I played my copy that much that the PS1 stopped reading the disc.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I want a copy of CMR2 more because that's the one I played the poo poo out of as a kid. Though you don't turn down a good PS1 game in good condition for £2.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
CMR 2 was probably my favourite. TOCA 2 was incredible as well for the period.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

TOCA 2 is still an incredibly impressive game. The amount of stuff in that game is still really absorbing today with not just the BTCC itself but all the support series as well.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah the Formula Fords were cool and the circuit around Loch Ness was brilliant. Codemasters racing games had the best cheats like extreme damage or collision physics

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Or the god drat tank.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

njsykora posted:

Or the god drat tank.

That was the first TOCA iirc but that was mind blowing stuff for a PS1 game

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It had different weather settings as well I totally forgot.

:worship: CodeMasters

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

As soon as I try a fast car in this game I can't complete any events

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

ethanol posted:

As soon as I try a fast car in this game I can't complete any events
Drive slow.

Seriously.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*In Dad Voice* Slow and steady wins the race

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
slow is smooth smooth is fast

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

loving. Wanderer. .333 this time

I got him on the way back down tho

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I am probably going to try to get back into this, while realizing i am garbage at anything not RWD, so :rip: stratos, on to r4 bitches.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
About that Alpine run.

I don't get how you are that fast with a controller New Zealand. I briefly tried Group B with a 360 controller, and I was immediately in all the ditches. Props.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Humbug posted:

There seems to be stuttering issues for some people, even with powerful rigs. Works great on my 970 and i7 at 1440/max settings, and it also ran okay on my old laptop with a HD7970M, so your spec should be plenty.

loving hell this game is so nice and much easier when its running correctly. Any future DLC to expand the trackset out of Europe? Or does this seem to be about it? I'm ok honestly with this but...

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They are working on another title iirc. Dirt Rally started off pretty low key so I don't think their dev team was massive to begin with

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

julian assflange posted:

They are working on another title iirc. Dirt Rally started off pretty low key so I don't think their dev team was massive to begin with

Yeah DR was a small project done through early access because they had no idea if people would take to it or not. Then they did in massive numbers so I wouldn't expect any DLC for it but Dirt Rally 2 when it happens will likely be much, much bigger. I don't think the next game to come from the Dirt team will be DR2 though, last I heard the plan was to do an actual Dirt 4 and alternate the series' Forza Motorsport/Horizon style.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Humbug posted:

I don't get how you are that fast with a controller New Zealand. I briefly tried Group B with a 360 controller, and I was immediately in all the ditches. Props.

I'm an alien.

Seriously though, sensitivity to 100 and linearity to 0 is extremely important in making the game not handle like complete trash.

In other news, :argh: SAME loving TIME GODDAMNIT I'VE BEEN TRYING TO BEAT THIS FOR MONTHS

You're creepin up on us Humbug I'm a little scared

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Dec 5, 2016

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

I don't think the next game to come from the Dirt team will be DR2 though, last I heard the plan was to do an actual Dirt 4 and alternate the series' Forza Motorsport/Horizon style.

This would be the ideal case. I've been kind of having a hankering for some more arcade rally, but still really want Dirt Rally to be a thing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

njsykora posted:

I want a copy of CMR2 more because that's the one I played the poo poo out of as a kid.

Well look what just came through the mailbox. £3.50 a very not bad price for this complete and in good condition.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Am I allowed to say i've really been enjoying the Lancia 037 lately? Huge fun in both Sweden in the monthly and Germany in the weekly. I find that i'm much more patient and careful in it than especially the modern cars. Since it has SO much performance it doesn't feel necessary to carry as much momentum through the corners.

I found Porkhammers Youtube where he uploads a lot of the online leaderboard laps. Look at how loving smooth he is in arguably one of the most difficult car/stage combinations in the game. If you ever wondered if smooth is fast, wonder no longer. 10 secs faster than anyone else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrwM1kFb7PU
What I don't enjoy are spectators on the outside of corners. They have been costing me some good results lately when i clip their fence with my rear. I guess they are historically correct when driving 80's cars though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Crosspost from the sim racing thread as it might interest some people in here.

njsykora posted:

If you're into rally stuff, there's a new Richard Burns Rally mod out called RBR 2016 which has the cars of the 2016 WRC season (and a random WRC2 car to fill the 8th spot since RBR needs 8 cars). It's noteworthy because the download for it is an all-in-one package that includes RBR itself. I won't link it here in case of files but if you've bounced off RBR before because of the insane amount of work it is to download and install all the bits of RSRBR then this might be something you enjoy. Then you can still install alternate car packs and track packs as you want them.

I know some people in here roll with gamepads, it has gamepad support (RBR was a PS2 and Xbox game as well after all) but it's a bit finicky to get working so be advised.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

njsykora posted:

Crosspost from the sim racing thread as it might interest some people in here.

I know some people in here roll with gamepads, it has gamepad support (RBR was a PS2 and Xbox game as well after all) but it's a bit finicky to get working so be advised.

I tried what i assume was this package. Pretty nice, but Rally School doesn't work. My car bounces around even when stationary through a physics glitch. Do you know how i can get fullscreen as well? All the startup options are labeled NULL. I played RBR when it first came out, but with a joystick. Definitely nicer with a wheel, but i seem to remember there being Swedish winter stages, which I couldn't find now. Am I remembering wrong?

As for Dirt Rally, there has been a lot of lovely RWD online challenges lately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah its more the game with the base content stripped out and the mods put in. So Rally School is busted and the config.ini file needs poking around in to get some display stuff working. There's a full screen setting in there you just need to change to 'true' and it'll go full screen though still only 4:3 so it looks a bit odd.

Still the easiest way to get into RBR now.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I figured out the config stuff. Setting resolution to 1980x1080 seemed to work also, although i seem to get some FPS drops. I think i still prefer DR due to more details on stages, better car turn-in and car variety. Dont get me wrong though. Its still a pretty cool game, and I can see how more sim-oriented players would prefer this over DR. Less grip and more understeer for sure. Thanks for posting about it here.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Well there's a gap of about a full decade between RBR and Dirt so they're not going to compare graphically. Car variety though RBR is miles ahead if you go deep into the mod scene. Like rFactor before it pretty much every car imaginable (certainly every rally car worth a drat) has been made for RBR.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Doing online challenges early are a real confidence booster. I probably shouldn't check back at the end of the week to find how horribly i've been beaten by then.

I find one thing weird though. I run H-gate and clutch in the appropriate cars, like the R4s above. I expected that it would make me slower than the guys using sequential gears since I often run longer gearing to shift less and occasionally miss gears. Instead, I'm doing better in the manual cars than the modern sequential ones. Are the shift times when using auto-clutch in the manual cars significantly longer than whats possible using a clutch? It also possible that I'm just not very good in the 2000s/2010s though.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Humbug posted:

Am I allowed to say i've really been enjoying the Lancia 037 lately?

the wildest car in the game :allears:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

Thief posted:

the wildest car in the game :allears:

Well yeah, its very prone to violent oversteer, but it has load of torque everywhere in the rev range, and a lovely crisp turn-in that lends itself well to the smooth style it requires. Keep a high gear into the corner, and it will surge out without even needing too much throttle control. Compare that to the IMO awful 205 T16 with its 200 rpm powerband and massive entry understeer. It would probably benefit massively from a smooth style with its short spin-happy wheelbase, but instead you need to absolutely man-handle it to turn it in and keep it on boost.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Shamelessly stolen from Wanderer (he posted it in chat first),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhkB-GuCIY

It's mostly Erik Comas talking about how awesome the Lancia Stratos is, but there's also a lot of spectacular shots of OG rally cars doing their thing. IN 4K!

Unfortunately there's (admittedly tasteful) music over most of it, hopefully this means there's a ton of raw footage laying around somewhere

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Snagged 49th Global up Pikes Peak in Modern :smugdog:

7:28:348. Only 40 seconds or so faster than Loeb IRL. I'm positive a majority of that difference comes from gearing, mine was topping out at 156 vs 149 in real life.

I'll never be as smooth as him tho

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

New Zealand can eat me posted:

Snagged 49th Global up Pikes Peak in Modern :smugdog:

7:28:348. Only 40 seconds or so faster than Loeb IRL. I'm positive a majority of that difference comes from gearing, mine was topping out at 156 vs 149 in real life.

I'll never be as smooth as him tho

Nice. Thats like 30 secs faster that i've ever done it. Grats!

I made a side by side of some random guy in dirt and Loeb.
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/586bd1c649853-side-by-side-pikes-peak.php
It seems that cutting more aggressivly and carring more speed makes a lot of the difference. Can't really blame Loeb for having a sense of preservation for himself and the spectators though.
I do think that the asphalt grip model in dirt isn't that realistic though. You slide easy, but you have way too much grip and control when you slide.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Asphalt is then worst part of the game. Everything else is lovely.

This game is loving wild with an accuforce. Hadn't played it since I upgraded from my thrustmaster TX.

Someone talk me out of VR for this. I already have triple screens.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I think part of it is that Monte Carlo was the first asphalt stages in the game, and it doesn't feel that unrealistic there, with the low speed, narrow roads and mixed in ice. You cant powerslide as wildly everywhere there. It falls apart the faster you go culminating with the 208 on PP. Not that I terribly mind though. There are plenty of sims on asphalt that I don't particularly enjoy despite being probably more realistic. I'm not really a sim racer though, and from your steering wheel, I'm gonna guess you are.

I cant really talk you out of VR though. That poo poo looks awesome. I'm concerned that ill get motion sick though.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

DiRT is honestly the only compelling VR experience right now, and it still has a lot of "tech demo" feel to it. Worth experiencing, but not something you'll want to do every day (next gen tho, oh man). If you're near Michigan and want to rent my CV1, let me know.

I think a lot of people find pavement to feel weird because the tire wear is so pronounced and or possibly balanced incorrectly?

Drive just the first section of Peak w/ the Modern, but the 2nd run, before you start, do several burnouts and then attempt to take the same lines, you will fly off the track because of how much less the tires grip. I'm pretty sure they have the hillclimb tires on warmers before the run, so a burnout shouldn't do much for the heat of the tire, but would a few of them in succession really ruin the tire that much? I thought they could get at least 2 runs per set in practice. I understand it's not meant to be 1:1 with real life, but something is not correct/fun here, everyone is sure of it, but nobody has quantified it.

On one hand, it seems like a very clever way to make sure that smooth = fast, otoh the traction difference between the very start and very end of Pikes Peak is so pronounced that if I don't take a break between runs I will end up flying into the crowd immediately because I get really over-confident on "fresh" tires. I was only able to get this faster time after specifically forcing myself to feather off the brake and ease onto the gas/upshift early to avoid wheelspin at all costs. I have had many, many runs that were far faster up the first 2/3rds, only to unexpectedly fly off one of the final flat out corners taking it the same way that always works.

That said I think Monte-Carlo is near perfect. I am slowly building up a folder full of screenshots where I'm 0.069, 0.013, etc away from my personal best :negative:

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Monte Carlo on VR wasn't too bad. Wales made me sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

Did you try with aspect lock on vs off? I hated the assist and once it was off it felt much more natural.

Also loving with the oculus render scale settings to force the game to super-sample helps a LOT if your graphics card can keep it above 90

• Locked thread