Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I've never played a pokemon before and just picked up a 3DS, which version has cooler pokemons and poo poo, Sun or Moon?

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/exclusives.shtml

These are the exclusive mons, make your choice. Be aware that moon version has the day flipped so it's nighttime in-game when it is day irl and daytime in-game when it is night irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Wheeee posted:

I've never played a pokemon before and just picked up a 3DS, which version has cooler pokemons and poo poo, Sun or Moon?

More important than that, moon has green/blue/purple options for fashion, and sun has red/orange/yellow/pink

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

cheetah7071 posted:

More important than that, moon has green/blue/purple options for fashion, and sun has red/orange/yellow/pink

Yeah this is actually the most important thing

Moon has far superior fashion options.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I'm desperately searching for Azuril/Marill/Azumarill in a Lure ball. If no one is able to trade me one by Saturday I will throw my ball at it myself, so please let me know if you have it!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Calm is completely pointless on Nihilego. It already has high special defense and its a terrible type for tanking hits in the first place. You want it to have a +speed nature, otherwise all the pokemon in the 90 speed tier will move first with their +speed nature and gently caress you up.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Keep in mind that version exclusives are super easy to trade for. The only ones that are harder to get are the box legendary and two ultra beasts per version.

The fashion items can be obtained outside of their version, but it takes a lot of work and is a headache. I had to put in an outrageous amount of effort to get the pink outfit I wanted in Moon.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mizuti posted:

The only ones that are harder to get are the box legendary and two ultra beasts per version.

Those are also super easy to trade for because you get doubles of all three of those Pokémon

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can you soft reset the cosmog you receive post story?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Boomstick Quaid posted:

http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/exclusives.shtml

These are the exclusive mons, make your choice. Be aware that moon version has the day flipped so it's nighttime in-game when it is day irl and daytime in-game when it is night irl

You know I'm surprised there are so few version exclusive Pokemon.

You think that at this point they could easily throw in 50 or so version exclusives, it's not like trading for them is hard.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dr Pepper posted:

You know I'm surprised there are so few version exclusive Pokemon.

You think that at this point they could easily throw in 50 or so version exclusives, it's not like trading for them is hard.

Weirder to me is that pre-release they were acting like there would be a lot of day/night exclusive pokemon and even that feels fairly limited. Some routes don't even have day/night differences and on others it's maybe 1 pokemon that changes.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Decus posted:

Weirder to me is that pre-release they were acting like there would be a lot of day/night exclusive pokemon and even that feels fairly limited. Some routes don't even have day/night differences and on others it's maybe 1 pokemon that changes.

im glad of it because that poo poo is the worst

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

tyb and I are trading each other over 20 beast ball lines and it is torture

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Scholtz posted:

tyb and I are trading each other over 20 beast ball lines and it is torture
:wave:

...yeah, it's gonna be bad. I can get your stuff from tyb if you want!

Also, complaining worked. Got an Oval Stone from Poke Pelago so there's my spare one after I got the one hidden on the ground in the Tauros pen that nobody told me about. Bold so that everyone notices it exists.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Anyone got spare Bagons and/or HA Dratinis in Beast Balls?

I can offer:
-Quiet Wide Guard/Destiny Bond Beast Ball Honedges with 4 IVs/5 IVs/4 31s and 0 Spd
-A quintet of perfect 5IV Modest Popplios
-4-5IV Timid Beast Ball Oricorios, 2 of them perfect 5s
-4-5IV Adamant Beast Ball Yungoos, 2 of them perfect 5s, one with each non-HA
-4-5IV Jolly Beast Ball Magikarps, 3 of them perfect 5s

And Timid 4-5IV Beast Ball Luvdisc's will be available within an hour or two too, about to start breeding a few batches of those.

FC's 1332-9128-2747, IGN's Alice. Will be available pretty much all day.

Also if anyone else wants any of the above stuff, I'm game to trade it off for pretty much anything, though breeding rejects and new beast ball/apricorn ball stuff are preferable.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think I wonder traded everything that didn't have at least 4 IVs. Just offer me something random in return if you'd like anything. Things I would definitely appreciate are a HA Vulpix with egg moves or something with Pokerus.
2982-0483-8705 / Dennis (also available if you want that 5 star Rare Kitchen for 1500/2000 FC).

Could you add me so I can grab that kitchen?

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...yeah, it's gonna be bad. I can get your stuff from tyb if you want!
We need to figure out another big exchange, you've got so many I don't now.

Shiny777 posted:

I can offer:
-Quiet Wide Guard/Destiny Bond Beast Ball Honedges with 4 IVs/5 IVs/4 31s and 0 Spd

And Timid 4-5IV Beast Ball Luvdisc's will be available within an hour or two too, about to start breeding a few batches of those.

Also if anyone else wants any of the above stuff, I'm game to trade it off for pretty much anything, though breeding rejects and new beast ball/apricorn ball stuff are preferable.

Are all those in Beast Balls? If they are, Oricorio/Magikarp/Luvdisc are all of interest to me. Regardless, I have spare Bagons for you, no HA Dratini though.

I have the five star kitchen too btw, online now if you need to VIP me.

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Shiny777 posted:

I can offer:

I'm very interested in a Popplio and a Honedge. I have both beastly Bagon and Dratini for ya. Bagon are Jolly with Dragon Dance and Pulse. Dratini are Adamant with HA, Aqua Jet, Dragon Dance and Rush. IVs should be good, I can't remember them right now and I stepped out for dinner.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Not getting a single destiny knot in the field is kind of annoying.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Senerio posted:

It was the biggest piece of random luck ever. I was out of Nest Balls, and decided "yeah, you know what? I'm gonna Soft Reset after this one anyway, so I'll just throw my friend ball, cause that's the one I really want her in."

Wiggle. Wiggle. Wiggle. Caught.

A few days and 3 trips to Isle Evelup later, and she's now a lynchpin of my Battle Tree Doubles team, able to switch in when I want to Poison Wave. Her name is Megaman Juno.

Congratulations man, always nice to know that the random number Gods are merciful sometimes.

Speaking of Celesteela, what's a good nature for her? I got one off GTS that's sassy, is that good or bad? I also got a Jolly Kartana, is that decent?

Also, if those natures are good, what EV spreads should I do for both of them?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

tyblazitar posted:

We need to figure out another big exchange, you've got so many I don't now.

Are all those in Beast Balls? If they are, Oricorio/Magikarp/Luvdisc are all of interest to me. Regardless, I have spare Bagons for you, no HA Dratini though.

I have the five star kitchen too btw, online now if you need to VIP me.

Lemme just hatch a few Luvdisc eggs and I'll be on in a few minutes with all three. Top quality IVs not yet guaranteed on the Luvdiscs, though.

edit:

Note Block posted:

I'm very interested in a Popplio and a Honedge. I have both beastly Bagon and Dratini for ya. Bagon are Jolly with Dragon Dance and Pulse. Dratini are Adamant with HA, Aqua Jet, Dragon Dance and Rush. IVs should be good, I can't remember them right now and I stepped out for dinner.

Will add you before I hop on.

Shiny777 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 7, 2016

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

Lemme just hatch a few Luvdisc eggs and I'll be on in a few minutes with all three. Top quality IVs not yet guaranteed on the Luvdiscs, though.
Awesome! No worries about the IVs, does Luvdisc even have any competitive use anyway?

Also, if you want good IV mons, I've got Cutiefly, Drampa, Sandygast, Mareanie and Minior rejects if you want any of those.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Can you soft reset the cosmog you receive post story?

Yeah, and I think I read you can Synchronize it as well

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

tyblazitar posted:

Awesome! No worries about the IVs, does Luvdisc even have any competitive use anyway?

Also, if you want good IV mons, I've got Cutiefly, Drampa, Sandygast, Mareanie and Minior rejects if you want any of those.

I'd love a Drampa and a Sandygast. Hopping online now.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Shiny777 posted:

Done. I'm off to bed tho (it's midnight here) so you'll have to talk to my guy in-game some other time.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

This is probably known and old hat to y'all who have been doing Showdown/VGC/whatever for a while but battling is completely exhausting and infuriating. Huge win streaks seem to be followed by huge losing streaks and at this stage the meta is evolving so quickly and so many things are out there that it's incredibly hard to zero in

I feel like I must be missing something crucial--battles right now feel very feast or famine

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is probably known and old hat to y'all who have been doing Showdown/VGC/whatever for a while but battling is completely exhausting and infuriating. Huge win streaks seem to be followed by huge losing streaks and at this stage the meta is evolving so quickly and so many things are out there that it's incredibly hard to zero in

I feel like I must be missing something crucial--battles right now feel very feast or famine

Are you playing on cart or Showdown? If you're on Showdown the matching system tries to get you to a place where your win/loss us 50%. So if you go on a hot streak you start getting matched with better players and vice versa on a cold streak.

On cart you might just have lovely luck.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zore posted:

Are you playing on cart or Showdown? If you're on Showdown the matching system tries to get you to a place where your win/loss us 50%. So if you go on a hot streak you start getting matched with better players and vice versa on a cold streak.

On cart you might just have lovely luck.

The fatigue is coming from Showdown, so that makes sense. Cart is much less infuriating and feels more "fair"

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
rate my battle tree team (admittedly i'm using it to grind up BP)

Modest Nihilego @ Focus Sash (Beast Boost adds SpA)
-Tbolt
-Power Gem
-Sludge Wave
-Grass Knot

Leads, punches through big threats with boosted Waves and Gems.

Adamant Silvally @ Water Mem
-Multi-A
-X-Scissor
-Fire Fang
-Parting Shot (Watery)

Same, but can set up for Minior with Parting Shot debuffs.

Naive Minior @ Figy Berry (until I can get a White Herb)
-Shell Smash
-EQ
-Acrobatics
-Power Gem

Cleanup. Shell Smash and roll out.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Shiny777 posted:

I can offer:

I'd love a Magikarp or Popplio. I have Adamant Litten, Grimers, Jolly Skill Link Rock Blast Shellder and Timid Riolu, all 4-5IV.

Also: what're the best spots to abuse a Compound Eyes/Thief Butterfree? I'd particularly love more Thick Clubs, Lucky Eggs and Leftovers.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When you throw a ball and it shakes in mid air and instantly catches, doors that mean it was a crit and would have been caught in any ball or something?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

greatn posted:

When you throw a ball and it shakes in mid air and instantly catches, doors that mean it was a crit and would have been caught in any ball or something?

It's a crit, but it's not guaranteed. It just checks for the catch twice (one shake and click) compared to the normal four times (three shakes and click).

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

greatn posted:

Critical captures can fail, but they're a lot more lenient since they only make one "check" for capture instead of having to pass 4 with any regular throw.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

greatn posted:

It's a crit, but as I recently learned the hard way that's not a guaranteed success. The short version of the effect it has is it rolls for success once instead of 4 times.

E: fb, fb. Let me add some further reading for you. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'd love a Magikarp or Popplio. I have Adamant Litten, Grimers, Jolly Skill Link Rock Blast Shellder and Timid Riolu, all 4-5IV.

Also: what're the best spots to abuse a Compound Eyes/Thief Butterfree? I'd particularly love more Thick Clubs, Lucky Eggs and Leftovers.

A Riolu and a Grimer'd be great. Says I've already got you on my friends list, and I'm in the plaza currently.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Was waiting to run into this dumb gimmick again ever since I got haze;

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-492119676

Waffles Inc. posted:

That's how matchmaking works. The better you do the more likely you are to get placed against players who are also doing well. The higher you go the more centralized the meta becomes as you run into people that just use all the top tier stuff. At that point, if you don't have a team that can do well against those meta picks you're not gonna go much further.

The meta for this VGC has already set in though. You can just assume every team you face will have several of Tapu Koko/Tapu Lele/Garchomp/Gyarados/Celesteela/Rubber Ducky and probably be right.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Shiny777 posted:

A Riolu and a Grimer'd be great. Says I've already got you on my friends list, and I'm in the plaza currently.

Jumping on now! Gonna separate the best IV ones quickly

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'll be around tonight and willing to breed any number of my eighty-three BB mons.
I've been pretty slammed with work, but I'll be on to make stuff available for anyone who wants some of the BB mons I have. Anything other than Rockruff or Snubbull would need a minute to breed some extras, but that's no big deal.

And DACK FAYDEN, I could've sworn I traded you a Rufflet the other day, but I don't see it on your list. Am I imagining things?

notoriousman posted:

And DWall, if you see this for later, I'd like one of those Machops as well!
Actually, I still haven't gotten around to the whole "good IVs, egg moves" part yet for Machop. The only thing I have that's really worth much is a whole box of 5V Rockruffs. But if all you want is Machop in a Beast Ball, it wouldn't take long to breed up a couple of spares.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
whats the best way to get 6IV dittos now? I heard ledyabot was taken down and I would rather not wait until pokebank. All I need to do is capture the Tapus and UBs and I have a finished pokedex so I can start actually breeding stuff (also farming about 100 of each EV berry as well)

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Dwall posted:

Actually, I still haven't gotten around to the whole "good IVs, egg moves" part yet for Machop. The only thing I have that's really worth much is a whole box of 5V Rockruffs. But if all you want is Machop in a Beast Ball, it wouldn't take long to breed up a couple of spares.
I can manage both of those myself, you just happen to have a monopoly on Machops at the moment! I'll take whatever you can spare, thanks.

Dwall
Jun 14, 2016

notoriousman posted:

I can manage both of those myself, you just happen to have a monopoly on Machops at the moment! I'll take whatever you can spare, thanks.

Sure thing. While I get things set up for Machop, is there anything else you'd like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

For Leftovers you don't need Compound Eyes, as Munchlax has one 100% of the time. They're a 5% appearance rate at route 1, behind the smashable rocks. What I did was bring two mons with Thief, made it call for backup, thief two of them and catch a third (non-thieved one) for three Leftovers total. You could do a full Thief team for up to 7 depending on how many you need.

Another item of note is the Black Sludge, best spot for those is the grass by Malie city where you find Trubbish. You could SOS Trubbish to get Garbador which has a 50% to hold one, but it's easier to just find a Grimer, thief it, continue to the next one, since it's 20% with Compound Eyes.

If you need a Metal Coat, the Magnemites by the Trainer School can help you out, and Grimers appear here too for the Black Sludge, albeit at a lower rate than in Malie (20% vs 30%). You could also get one from Skarmory or Beldum, but they're rarer to find.

For Razor Claw, you need to find a Jangmo-o (5% appearance rate and 5% to hold one before Compound Eyes), and then if the first one doesn't have one you should SOS it and keep thieving, if you find a Kommo-o the base chance goes up to 50%.

If you need another King's Rock, Hariyama is your best bet.

I believe you can't get Lucky Eggs, according to Serebii at least. You could test it if you manage to SOS a Chansey though (Happiny will only have Oval Stones I believe).