Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I suppose the come-uppance for the people mad at Quark came in places like "In the Pale Moonlight." I love the part where Garak sets Sisko straight at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

I didn't really get what was up everyone's butthole in Business as Usual to be honest. Yeah Quark sold arms. Big deal. He didn't do anything Starfleet intelligence doesn't do daily and when it got to be all 'biological weapons killing millions' he very quickly not only backed out but set up the arms dealers to take a huge rear end fall.

Not like the Maquis just magicked arms into existence for themselves.

You'd think Starfleet Intelligence would be all for it. "So anyone planning to buy weapons is going to voluntarily come to one of our starbases, where we can easily monitor them and find out what they're planning to buy? poo poo, someone get this Quark guy on our payroll and tell Sisko to back the gently caress off."

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Trast posted:

I suppose the come-uppance for the people mad at Quark came in places like "In the Pale Moonlight." I love the part where Garak sets Sisko straight at the end.

I love Quark's little revenge in that episode, sliding the knife under Sisko's skin. "Every man has his price."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Arcsquad12 posted:

I love Quark's little revenge in that episode, sliding the knife under Sisko's skin. "Every man has his price."

It really was a nice little moment for the characters.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

You'd think Starfleet Intelligence would be all for it. "So anyone planning to buy weapons is going to voluntarily come to one of our starbases, where we can easily monitor them and find out what they're planning to buy? poo poo, someone get this Quark guy on our payroll and tell Sisko to back the gently caress off."

But Starfleet is a totally peaceful entity! :confused:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Moridin920 posted:

I didn't really get what was up everyone's butthole in Business as Usual to be honest. Yeah Quark sold arms. Big deal. He didn't do anything Starfleet intelligence doesn't do daily and when it got to be all 'biological weapons killing millions' he very quickly not only backed out but set up the arms dealers to take a huge rear end fall.

Not like the Maquis just magicked arms into existence for themselves.

Yeah that kind of veered into "A Very Special Episode" territory with the way the writers had to have Kira say "....yyyeeeaaaahhhh, the Bajoran government says we can't do anything about it because we technically depended on this exact behavior in order to be able to fight the Cardassians, but"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why did you kill my baby Quark.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

frogge posted:

But Starfleet is a totally peaceful entity! :confused:

Starfleet can be pretty stupid. See also their "We won't work on a cloaking device even though two other major powers already have them" agreement with the Romulans and Klingons. I realise that it's because shots of invisible ships would be dull, if cheap, but they could have come up with some better in-universe reason for Starfleet to not have cloaking technology.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Chomp8645 posted:

Why did you kill my baby Quark.

Latinum shines brighter than the smile of any baby. -Grand Nagus Rom. the 134th rule of acquisition

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Worf should have raised yoshi as a klingon. Couldn't do worse than Alexander.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Starfleet can be pretty stupid. See also their "We won't work on a cloaking device even though two other major powers already have them" agreement with the Romulans and Klingons. I realise that it's because shots of invisible ships would be dull, if cheap, but they could have come up with some better in-universe reason for Starfleet to not have cloaking technology.

That wouldn't even be a thing because of the whole can't fire while cloaked thing.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Arms dealers are unsavory people who do unsavory things. Starfleet doesn't go around busting them up because of the Prime Directive but it certainly makes sense to keep them from doing business in their stations so that they aren't perceived as harboring people who potentially sell genocide. And that was the big thing in that episode for Quark - he was all fine with selling guns until he met some lunatic with deep pockets who wanted to kill billions of people.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Arcsquad12 posted:

Worf should have raised yoshi as a klingon. Couldn't do worse than Alexander.

Worf was only so attached to outdated klingon customs because he knew Federation culture would eventually be the end of his peoples' unique way of life. Same with federation puppet Grand Nagus Rom. I can't be the only one who was pissed that Ferenginar adopted social democracy in season 7, I mean, does every single society in the alpha quadrant have to be a sterile, emotionless copy of homo sapien/vulcan cultural hegemony?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Dominion was right. Theocratic dictatorships all the way. If they were in charge of the Alpha Quadrant, the Borg wouldn't have stood a chance.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
How do you assimilate goop

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

bloodychill posted:

How do you assimilate goop

Maybe founder goop is a ferrofluid and the borg can control them with magnets and make them get all spiky-shaped against their will. That's pretty close to assimilation, right?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The dominion would send a founder to infiltrate the collective, kidnap a drone, and do what Picard refused to and send the drone back with a plague virus.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I just watched TNG twice through (at least what I was awake for) and I think I remembered why I don't like Crusher. She becomes a late season MASH sad sack about a lot of issues. I can't cite any examples but I know she needled Picard pretty hard about that borgsecution plan.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I know it's because of real life reasons but I always thought it was kinda dumb that the changeling that was boning Odo had the same face. Presumably she's been around awhile and figured out how to morph into a better human shape than Odo has yet to. On the one planet with the time traveling crew where Odo had been there some 200 odd years he could look normal.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The changelings impersonate odo because they empathize with him and want him to feel welcome. They are so used to other changelings joining the link that his stubbornness puts them on the back foot. Female founder bones him to show how superior the link is to solids

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I want to say there are novels or references somewhere about the Dominion encountering Borg. Stuff about the Dominion making the jem'hadar unable to be assimilated or suicide if the they do.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Even Lahz or whatever was better than Odo, but he had been found a lot sooner.

Does he intercept a runabout at warp speeds as a space squid? That's a pretty good power too.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Arcsquad12 posted:

The changelings impersonate odo because they empathize with him and want him to feel welcome. They are so used to other changelings joining the link that his stubbornness puts them on the back foot. Female founder bones him to show how superior the link is to solids

That makes sense.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

...and the pitch! posted:

I just watched TNG twice through (at least what I was awake for) and I think I remembered why I don't like Crusher. She becomes a late season MASH sad sack about a lot of issues. I can't cite any examples but I know she needled Picard pretty hard about that borgsecution plan.

It doesn't help that most Beverly-centric epsiodes range from iffy to awful. She got exactly one good one, Remember Me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Beverly and troi both got lovely episodes. The only good female characters on TNG were ro laren and guinan.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Give Ro guinan's hat and you'd have create a super being.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Troi had a good episode, that one with the romulans.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
i just saw the episode where o'brian goes to mind prison. It was kinda dumb. Also it's hella weird how he just ends up having to live with those memories. That was a long-rear end time he spent there. He'd never be the same person. Acting of the alien guy wasn't bad though and kinda saved it a little.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gutcruncher posted:

Troi had a good episode, that one with the romulans.

That was the one where the sub-commander was doctor chocolates, right?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Police Automaton posted:

i just saw the episode where o'brian goes to mind prison. It was kinda dumb. Also it's hella weird how he just ends up having to live with those memories. That was a long-rear end time he spent there. He'd never be the same person. Acting of the alien guy wasn't bad though and kinda saved it a little.

That episode and the one with the maqui both touched on a good point about the world of star trek.

Sisko regarding the maqui

"Do you know what the trouble is? The trouble is Earth-on Earth there is no poverty, no crime, no war. You look out the window of Starfleet Headquarters and you see paradise. It's easy to be a saint in paradise, but the Maquis do not live in paradise. Out there in the demilitarized zone all the problems haven't been solved yet. Out there, there are no saints, just people-angry, scared, determined people who are going to do whatever it takes to survive, whether it meets with Federation approval or not. "

and obrein on killing the prisoner in hard time

" I meant it. I wanted him to die. I keep telling myself it doesn't matter. It wasn't real. But that's a lie. If it had been real, if it had been you instead of him, it wouldn't have made any difference. He was my best friend and I murdered him. When we were growing up, they used to tell us humanity had evolved, that mankind had outgrown hate and rage. But when it came down to it, when I had the chance to show that no matter what anyone did to me, I was still an evolved human being, I failed. I repaid kindness with blood. I was no better than an animal."

It would be cool to have that be a more direct theme of the show, like have one the villians, cardasians, vorta, breen etc call out the fact the federation isn't as grand as they think they are.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

About as close as Geordi got to scoring with a real live woman, he hosed it up by reading all her personal log entries and when he offered to get her transferred to the Enterprise she was like "lol nah I'll take my chances out here with the Klingons and blob monsters"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

The new star trek should be set in the future with the first fully holographic crew. All of them Picardo.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Police Automaton posted:

It was frustrating but ultimately a good take on how psychological trauma doesn't just go away just because we try to will it away or ignore it. Also that was around when the Obrien/Bashier bromance was starting up and showed some of their onscreen chemistry. Bashir all writing in his journal about how he wished he was stuck in mindjail with Obrien for 20 years.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

The General posted:

The new star trek should be set in the future with the first fully holographic crew. All of them Picardo.

I think that would be the most smug show in all eternity. Not necessarily in a bad way, mind you.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Red Dwarf had an episode with an entirely holographic ship and crew. I think a running comment was that holocrews were renowned for their attitudes of being the smuggest, most arrogant crews around. However, in their case, I think it was a combination that they were holographic recreations of the best of the best and that they thought they were superior to the 'living'.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

A cast of Michelle Yeoh, the guy from rent who they pre-announced as being The Gay Character on ST:D and the rest of the crew filled with Holo-Picardos would be a great show if they also had every alien of the week played by Jeffrey Coombs.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

if they also had every alien of the week played by Jeffrey Coombs.

I would pay that CBS subscription fee if this were true.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I'm watching Voyager in order for the first time, instead of catching a random episode and holy poo poo, I don't know if it was the cough medicine or the wine but when I realized the aliens stole Neelix's lungs I couldn't stop laughing. I don't even know the last time I laughed that hard.

I hate Kes more than anyone. This show would've been way better if they killed off the three senior officers and Paris ended up screwing his way home Kirk style. Because at least that would be interesting.

If any trek needed a grim dark reboot, it's this one. The lost potential pisses me off more than anything.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

empty sea posted:

I'm watching Voyager in order for the first time, instead of catching a random episode and holy poo poo, I don't know if it was the cough medicine or the wine but when I realized the aliens stole Neelix's lungs I couldn't stop laughing. I don't even know the last time I laughed that hard.

That is the dumbest premise until you consider that space is very densely populated in the ST universe so it might actually be practical to practice organ piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
In my grand rewatch of all things Trek, I just finished watching Nemesis (for the third time ever I think). That is the most godawful thing I've ever seen. It makes zero sense. Now I can go back to pretending it doesn't exist. "What? There's no tenth Trek movie. Six original cast movies and three TNG cast. You must be thinking of the 2009 reboot."

All that remains is Enterprise. It's been a long road, getting from The Cage to here.