Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
So Champions seems like it's going to be a monthly version of a "very special episode", can't say I'm too mad at it, but at the same time I feel like this is probably why most of the time when comics look at real life issues they use expies and allegory to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Escobarbarian posted:

What's all this no digital issues of Cage bullshit

Huh? It's on Comixology right now.

https://www.comixology.com/Cage-2016/comics-series/78517?ref=Y29taWMvdmlldy9kZXNrdG9wL2JyZWFkY3J1bWJz

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh, that's bizarre. I just went on marvel.com to check which issues had come out and they all say there's no digital issues available.

GRABBIN'

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SilverSupernova posted:

Nova's new series is off to a great start. I'm glad Sam finally has a good book again after what Champions ended up as.

Did RIchard Rider show up in this issue?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

pubic works project posted:

Did RIchard Rider show up in this issue?

Yes. Technically that already happened in the last issue of the last volume of Nova.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Yes. Technically that already happened in the last issue of the last volume of Nova.

What?!?!?! Awwwww poo poo!!!

*rushes out to buy the last volume of Nova*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Anime_Otaku posted:

So Champions seems like it's going to be a monthly version of a "very special episode", can't say I'm too mad at it, but at the same time I feel like this is probably why most of the time when comics look at real life issues they use expies and allegory to do it.

I just read it and it reminded me of right before and after the start of the Iraq war where everything in media had to get in their opinion of Radical Islam and all your favorite TV shows had to have an episode where they fought Islamic Terrorists it kinda weirded me out a little

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Didn't they say the whole idea was to stay and help not just be heroes and then fly off cause oh well we punched the bad guys?

Why did they do... exactly that this issue. They flew in, helped some unarmed women fight not-isis, and then just flew off. Are you going to pop in every day to make sure they aren't dead from the people who actually have the guns and don't have super powers? Are you going to supply them with equipment? This isn't just "And now for a special message with The Champions" it's against what sounded like a decent premise "We don't just fight the bad guys and then that's the end of it." That's EXACTLY the end of it. They are no different from the Avengers they left.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Look they painted a 'C' on the girls' clothes what more do you want

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Oh. So she's a target now. Even better.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well at least they got blown up at the end of the issue. Lets hope they all died and then regenerated in their own books and then they can try again, maybe actually making a proper team book.

EDIT: Save your time, buy Unworthy Thor #2. It's loving good.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 8, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Can we holy poo poo that Clone Conspiracy reveal now?

Do we even have a Spider-man thread anymore?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I really wish champions were better. I like a lot of those characters but eh

Rhyno posted:

Can we holy poo poo that Clone Conspiracy reveal now?

Do we even have a Spider-man thread anymore?

yea we do

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lol clones

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how they're still putting Laura in classic Wolverine poses when she turns full snik snik on people.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Champions is by far the most disappointing comic I've read recently. You'd have to deliberately try to fail to screw up that team roster, yet here we are.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Clawtopsy posted:

Champions is by far the most disappointing comic I've read recently. You'd have to deliberately try to fail to screw up that team roster, yet here we are.

As I've pointed out before, Waid's past the point of being able to convincingly write teenagers.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Onmi posted:

Well at least they got blown up at the end of the issue. Lets hope they all died and then regenerated in their own books and then they can try again, maybe actually making a proper team book.

Holding onto the faintest of hopes that Kaine actually does get the New Warriors back together. I'll take any chance to see a fun young team book and see Ewing's version of Night Thrasher come back.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rhyno posted:

As I've pointed out before, Waid's past the point of being able to convincingly write teenagers.

It's not just the way the cast being written being hamfisted and "How do you do Fellow Kids?" It's the fact that what happens in the comic is so utterly not what anyone reading this book wants to see from this team. I was excited for Champions when I thought Champions would be like Marvel Adventures in the main universe. Instead it's been "A very special episode soapbox" that the book completely cannot keep to. It's all the whining that "Superheroes don't solve REAL problems" with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and no fun at all.

Champions had three strengths off the bat, it had a cast of popular young heroes, the premise to do something new with them and the ability to be different from previous attempts to write the Young Avengers. It had a chance to tap into the All Ages market in a way that wasn't just the blueprint of removing all stakes and teeth and replacing it with zany. It literally pissed away all of its potential. This was Marvel's attempt to flagship the new generation and all I'm left asking is. "When's Marvel going to Rebirth?" Because and I do not say this lightly.

This comic is New 52 levels of bad and awful. This is a book I desperately wanted to be good and it's failing in every way, shape and form,.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Onmi posted:

It's not just the way the cast being written being hamfisted and "How do you do Fellow Kids?" It's the fact that what happens in the comic is so utterly not what anyone reading this book wants to see from this team. I was excited for Champions when I thought Champions would be like Marvel Adventures in the main universe. Instead it's been "A very special episode soapbox" that the book completely cannot keep to. It's all the whining that "Superheroes don't solve REAL problems" with the subtlety of a sledgehammer and no fun at all.

Champions had three strengths off the bat, it had a cast of popular young heroes, the premise to do something new with them and the ability to be different from previous attempts to write the Young Avengers. It had a chance to tap into the All Ages market in a way that wasn't just the blueprint of removing all stakes and teeth and replacing it with zany. It literally pissed away all of its potential. This was Marvel's attempt to flagship the new generation and all I'm left asking is. "When's Marvel going to Rebirth?" Because and I do not say this lightly.

This comic is New 52 levels of bad and awful. This is a book I desperately wanted to be good and it's failing in every way, shape and form,.

I'll give the book one thing. Sam and Miles' blossoming bromance is pretty fun to watch.
But that takes up such a small portion of it and I'm not going to buy an entire book to look for a couple panels.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

SilverSupernova posted:

I'll give the book one thing. Sam and Miles' blossoming bromance is pretty fun to watch.
But that's takes up such a small portion of the book and I'm not going to buy a book to look for a couple panels.

Actually, yes. I like Sam and Miles, they have a great friendly chemistry. The part with Sam basically going "Hey watch this: How about Cyclops?" Like... spin off from this, make a book for Miles and Sam like DC is doing for Supersons. And then have them go on fun adventures.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Onmi posted:

that people expected anything else from the writer of Strange Fruit, which is one of the most clueless comics ever published, has always been weird to me

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ElNarez posted:

that people expected anything else from the writer of Strange Fruit, which is one of the most clueless comics ever published, has always been weird to me

He's also the writer of Young Justice and Impulse. Granted, decades removed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He's also writing Archie and Black Widow. And just wrote one of the signature runs on Daredevil. It's not like Waid's incapable of writing teens or emotionally resonant superhero comics or good action scenes now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

Mark Waid never wrote Young Justice.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Onmi posted:

Young Justice was Peter David.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Young Justice was Peter David.

Rhyno posted:

Mark Waid never wrote Young Justice.

I was wrong and a fool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

I was wrong and a fool.

Are you Reed Richards?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Are you Reed Richards?

... I am a dick...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Onmi posted:

... I am a dick...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I, for one, am glad that doom gets to be iron man while reed is stuck outside of time and space forever

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
What the hell is up with all the noses covered in pencil lines in Wolverine? Is this the newest version of the dreadful "red nose" drawing style?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Decius posted:

What the hell is up with all the noses covered in pencil lines in Wolverine? Is this the newest version of the dreadful "red nose" drawing style?

Looks like something that should have been erased during the colouring process but was left in there. Like leaving x's where you want a section filled in with black.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Decius posted:

Probably.

Also, you know that Two-page spread of Miles standing over dead Cap?

Yeah that image is something Marvel wants to be so Iconic it's the same image used in Civil War 2 issues 5, 6, and 7 and Spider-Man 9. Now let's clarify something. I'm not saying they're two page spreads all depicting the same thing. I'm saying the exact same two pages, completely wordless with the same art, in each book. It's kind of like this small microcosm of something wrong with modern comics, well, modern media in general, but comics is a fine enough example. Someone wants this two page spread to be 'Iconic' but rather than letting it be a striking moment remembered in the minds of its fans. They instead attempt to force it by reusing it a bunch. I liken it to given a junkie the clicker to a morphine drip. It's the focused belief that anything that can occur naturally can be forced to occur by finding the right 'formula'. I guarantee you, we'll see it in a few more books, and nobody is going to care. Because it's from Civil War II, and who the gently caress could care about that?

This probably explains why so many new Superheroes fail to take off when you think about it?

EDIT: I think, funnily enough, actual iconic imagery these days tends to be things easily shifted into meme's. Hail Hydra Cap is pretty instantly recognisable and parodied in the ever quick internet age. Of course said parodies died quickly, but at least to the people who saw it, I don't think they'll forget it. If only for how silly the image is.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 8, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's the most recent really iconic cover there's been? My guess would be something like one of those Ellis era Iron Mans where he's in that three-point landing (?) pose they used a lot in the movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

What's the most recent really iconic cover there's been? My guess would be something like one of those Ellis era Iron Mans where he's in that three-point landing (?) pose they used a lot in the movies.

Manara's Spider-Woman.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have
All Star Superman?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Spider-Man 9/11

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
FF 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

I did not like the new issue of Nova.

Probably because I don't know poo poo about Sam Alexander and think he's a poopy-head and I want the story to be all about Richard, but still. I'll keep on reading it though and I picked up the first two issues of the last volume.

• Locked thread