Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Okay help me figure out my endgame links.

6link: Barrage+Supports
5 or 6link: Lightning Arrow+Supports
4-link: Blink Arrow, Frenzy, Power Charge on Crit, Faster Attacks, (or Increased Critical Strikes?)
3-link/1s: Herald of Ice, Curse on Hit, Vulnerability ; Decoy Totem
4-link: Grace, Ice Golem... ?? Cast When Damage Taken w/ Immortal Call? Spell Totem and Wither?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nezkar
Nov 6, 2012
pretty sure i tried blink arrow pcoc last league and it did not work

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

they forgot to index the other 3/4 in their trade api

you were right

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Nezkar posted:

pretty sure i tried blink arrow pcoc last league and it did not work

Well, that's just there to benefit from faster attacks

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Soothing Vapors posted:

Edit4: The realm is up now. The problem was caused by the trade API in combination with Quad stash tabs. The Trade API will be down until we have deployed a fix in around an hour. We are very sorry for the inconvenience. This should have been caught in our internal testing.

Good on them for owning up but come on guys that's kinda gradeschool :v:

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

Good on them for owning up but come on guys that's kinda gradeschool :v:

As someone who works in programming fairly large scale systems I can only feel sympathy for them cause when you work on something like that the universe will conspire to gently caress you over.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

As someone who works in programming fairly large scale systems I can only feel sympathy for them cause when you work on something like that the universe will conspire to gently caress you over.

I do the same which is why I'm laughing :colbert:. Oh well, minor hiccup.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

So I'm following this guide to a very silly searing bond build, and really my only question is why would the build stack burning damage passives and ignore fire damage passives? The wiki says searing bond deals fire damage, that "is considered burning damage" - does this mean its not considered fire damage as well?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Because he focuses on life and totem nodes. The Holy Fire cluster is +70% damage, while the other nearby fire damage clusters only net 55%/40% increased damage.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

whypick1 posted:

Because he focuses on life and totem nodes. The Holy Fire cluster is +70% damage, while the other nearby fire damage clusters only net 55%/40% increased damage.

Alright, cool!

More generally, I'm having trouble with Endurance charges. Spamming Enduring Cry just doesn't seem worth it. Is there some trick to getting endurance charges in large numbers that last for a long time, or is it a matter of git gud?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Tulip posted:

Alright, cool!

More generally, I'm having trouble with Endurance charges. Spamming Enduring Cry just doesn't seem worth it. Is there some trick to getting endurance charges in large numbers that last for a long time, or is it a matter of git gud?

Once you get Ramako ascension you should be fine:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ramako,_Sun%27s_Light

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tulip posted:

Alright, cool!

The trick to enduring cry is to put it on your 4th mouse button if you have one, and then just work on automating it. For me I just automatically click my thumb-button every time I engage a pack of monsters.

ShutteredIn posted:

Once you get Ramako ascension you should be fine:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Ramako,_Sun%27s_Light

Does this actually work with searing bond? The enemy isn't ignited - you are burning him, so the wording isn't entirely clear

TheRat fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 8, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
It says "kill a burning enemy" right there...:confused:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

whypick1 posted:

It says "kill a burning enemy" right there...:confused:

Yes but the enemy isn't burning, you're burning the enemy, which is why I'm saying the wording isn't very clear.

E: Now that I think about it, rf+flame surge works so this should too.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So I bitched about this in gchat already but I'm playing a CI build for the first time (WI) and its really frustrating me. It seems pretty good most of the time but then I'll walk into a pack and randomly die without realizing what happened or an opportunity to react even if I did. I have like 6k ES, respectable damage with LL gem and Warlord's Mark, no stun immunity but a decent amount of recovery. What am I missing? Gchat was telling me to focus more on dodging but I have to get relatively close to get WM to work.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Warlord's Mark is horribly unreliable and if that's your only source of leech you will die.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

TheRat posted:

Does this actually work with searing bond? The enemy isn't ignited - you are burning him, so the wording isn't entirely clear

It definitely works.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

StashAugustine posted:

So I bitched about this in gchat already but I'm playing a CI build for the first time (WI) and its really frustrating me. It seems pretty good most of the time but then I'll walk into a pack and randomly die without realizing what happened or an opportunity to react even if I did. I have like 6k ES, respectable damage with LL gem and Warlord's Mark, no stun immunity but a decent amount of recovery. What am I missing? Gchat was telling me to focus more on dodging but I have to get relatively close to get WM to work.

You could try linking it to an Inc aoe to improve the blasphemy range maybe? Also stun immunity would be huge for you if you have to walk into packs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

TheRat posted:

Warlord's Mark is horribly unreliable and if that's your only source of leech you will die.

I also have a LL gem but yeah that's all I've got. What else can WI do for leech?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

get a quality curse gem for some easy range boost

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

And it'll always be the one edge-case you forgot to test...

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

I also have a LL gem but yeah that's all I've got. What else can WI do for leech?

Do you have vaal pact?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Has anyone else had some problems loading areas (it just hangs on the loading screen) lately?

Beginning of the league, no problem, everything worked like it always worked, except the DirectX11 setting actually made things a hell of a lot smoother. So I was happy. Then today and yesterday, after the first couple transitions between areas, sooner or later I'll click a town, or my hideout, or just the area I was wanting to go to, it'll pop up the loading screen...and that's all I'll see until I have to force close the game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

TheRat posted:

Do you have vaal pact?

Yeah

Also in retrospect having freeze removal tied to a 40/60 charge defensive flask is probably dumb

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah

Also in retrospect having freeze removal tied to a 40/60 charge defensive flask is probably dumb

Well then you either don't do enough damage to outleech what's hitting you or you need to work on your positioning. Probably a combination of both. Whispering ice is exceptionally good for this as a function of the chilled ground it provides, so pretty much practice positioning. This is quite hard without some form of stun mitigation, however.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Dunno what to tell you either - while admittedly completely unsafe, I was doing WI with 4k ES in low level maps a two days ago. Now at 7.5k ES in red maps.

What's your damage per hit? Maybe you're not doing enough damage.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Damage per hit is about 1.6k, about to get Astramentis and another 50 base int in the next two levels, then to get an actually good WI

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/StashAugustine/characters

ChristinaVasa

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

You really really need a 6socket whispering ice before you focus on anything else, so you can use cold2fire gem and avatar of fire instead of pyre.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

What are the advantages/disadvantages of cold to fire/AoF vs Pyre? I've seen reccommendations either way but no explanation why

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah you are doing way less damage than you should be - getting your WI 6S will do a ton there, which is also defense since VP. It was priority #1 for me, and I think I did it around early A3M.

C2F+AOF opens up a ring slot which you can use for various things like resists, more int (perandus), or Valyrium (stun).

lurksion fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 8, 2016

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
With the gem and AOF you get another ring slot worth of stats.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of cold to fire/AoF vs Pyre? I've seen reccommendations either way but no explanation why

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1386145 does a decent job of explaining why cold to fire is amazing for whispering ice. Aside from that, pyre takes up a very very precious ring slot - I hate using unique rings for that reason.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Witchfire Brew would drop out of a random chest in Dried Lake when I specifically chose not to go Chaos Blade Flurry.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

AegisP posted:

Witchfire Brew would drop out of a random chest in Dried Lake when I specifically chose not to go Chaos Blade Flurry.

Sell it and buy something useful!

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

TheRat posted:

Sell it and buy something useful!

Yea, it gets to start the Buy Me The Surrender Fund.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So I've never crafted anything before. All of the daggers on poetrade with cast speed and other decent mods are typically 8+ chaos. Should I try to craft my own or should I just plunk down the chaos on one?

The daggers aren't in themselves too expensive for me, I would rather just save toward a 6L instead of tossing currency away on something I could conceivably craft for cheaper.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

fennesz posted:

So I've never crafted anything before. All of the daggers on poetrade with cast speed and other decent mods are typically 8+ chaos. Should I try to craft my own or should I just plunk down the chaos on one?

The daggers aren't in themselves too expensive for me, I would rather just save toward a 6L instead of tossing currency away on something I could conceivably craft for cheaper.

your chances of crafting a good dagger, spell or not for less than 8c are... slim

i mean, it sorta depends on what exactly you want out of it and are comparing it to

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Hauki posted:

your chances of crafting a good dagger, spell or not for less than 8c are... slim

i mean, it sorta depends on what exactly you want out of it and are comparing it to

My requirements are pretty low. Playing Flameblast Totems so all I really want is cast speed, fire damage and crit. Spell damage is just icing but I can get that elsewhere.

But know dick about crafting. I'll probably just buy one here in a day or two. :effort:

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

fennesz posted:

My requirements are pretty low. Playing Flameblast Totems so all I really want is cast speed, fire damage and crit. Spell damage is just icing but I can get that elsewhere.

But know dick about crafting. I'll probably just buy one here in a day or two. :effort:

Is there a good reason not to just use two cheap wands? I picked up a couple wands for a chaos each with 19 cast speed and 50 spell damage, appears to be blowing stuff up pretty good. But I also don't know what I am doing.

Also, how would Apep's work? that is all the cast speed, plus some chaos damage, and totem is cheap so the extra casting cost shouldn't matter.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Slo-Tek posted:

Is there a good reason not to just use two cheap wands? I picked up a couple wands for a chaos each with 19 cast speed and 50 spell damage, appears to be blowing stuff up pretty good. But I also don't know what I am doing.

Whirling Blades is very fast

• Locked thread