Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Sounds like Dan Mullen is getting an extension at Mississippi State

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Real Name Grover posted:

Lincoln Riley out of consideration for UH job, per a lot of folks on Twitter.

Per the UH beat guys too

https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/806599745967968256

So, I guess it's Todd Orlando or Les.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Relentlessboredomm posted:

This would be so dumb of the USF AD. That man is loving reviled in Tampa.

Conversely I imagine being related to Monte Kiffin plays pretty well there

Komet posted:

I hope Shiano leaves Ohio State, because their defense was the only consistently good thing about that team.

I hope Joe Moorhead goes to temple

Korranus posted:

Per the UH beat guys too

Going from Herman to Les would be...something, I guess

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

houston, please hire me as AD so I can interview lane kiffin and ask him whether it was more satisfying to be left on a tarmac, get attacked via powerpoint presentation, or provoke an angry tennessee man to piss on an "it's time" t-shirt

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

MourningView posted:

Monte Kiffin was a legend of a defensive coordinator for the bucs, yea we love that lineage.

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

SeaborneClink posted:

You understand that USF's defense is a 4-2 stack right? A derivative of the 4-3 Over

Brady Hoke is here forever :suicide:

The more I look at it, the more it seems it was just a bad year this year for USF's defense. Taggart's defenses all of the other years at USF and WKU weren't this bad. Either way I'll take the old Oregon system of outscoring people no matter how much they score.

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Korranus posted:

Per the UH beat guys too

Just curious, why so down on Applewhite? Because his play calling was so hit or miss this season, or is there more?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

MourningView posted:

There's probably worse landing places for Les. He already knows how to recruit the Houston area and might be able to steal some Louisiana recruits. Houston is the sort of school where he can win a lot just by getting better talent. And he won't leave in two years for a better job if it goes well.

If he made a decent OC hire he might work out alright there. Big if, I guess.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Dilber posted:

Al Golden was a terrible, terrible coach that does not deserve another head coaching shot. He was poor on gameday, recruiting, developing, and managing staff. His team did not respect him, and hated him because he spoke in coach speak to them all the time. He played mind games with depth charts that everyone knew was false, and would play favorites with who would getting playing time. He effectively cost his players millions of dollars in the draft. He tied himself to a garbage DC running his system, and was unwilling to ever make changes.

He's a good person, and I wish he was as good a coach as he was a person. He wasn't. When at Temple, he couldn't beat a team with a pulse, and that didn't change at Miami. In fact, at miami he also couldn't beat teams without a pulse. His 2013 team was LOADED with talent, and he couldn't even compete for the coastal.

He's a really good fit at a Northeast school where 8 wins is a good season. I think he's likely the next BC coach. He is great at building a program up from nothing. It's a very different skill than being a coach at an elite program. Also he's loyal to a lovely DC. This is also why no top 10 program should hire Schiano, but he is a great DC and good at rebuilding programs.

Rutgers thought hard about Golden but decided to gamble on Ash.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Jay Norvell to Nevada. He was... ok at Oklahoma. Good luck Reno.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yet another branch for the Hayden Fry coaching tree :smug:

I think it's probably a bad hire but I support former Iowa players getting as many head coaching opportunties as possible just to keep our pool of potential future coaches as large as it can be. Even though we are 100% definitely replacing Kirk with his son it's nice to have options

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Is there anyone in a semi-precarious situation that could get canned after a bowl game disaster?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Butch Jones maybe? Addazio? Those seem the most likely, with Sumlin as a super outside shot.

Doubt it happens though.

e: Oh Jones has a 10 million buyout? Yeah that probably isn't happening.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

Butch Jones maybe? Addazio? Those seem the most likely, with Sumlin as a super outside shot.

Doubt it happens though.

We also don't have an AD right now so that complicates things as well.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Grittybeard posted:

Doubt it happens though.

Eh, Jones is getting one more year. Tennessee is currently looking for a new AD anyway, but the year wasn't really abysmal, it just put a lot of fear into people that Jones has plateau'd. A bad loss might help him be a mid-season firing next year if things start off poorly, but there's 0 chance he's gone during the offseason, even apart from the buyout.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Korranus posted:

Per the UH beat guys too

Lane Kiffin it is. Ugh

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Eh, Jones is getting one more year. Tennessee is currently looking for a new AD anyway, but the year wasn't really abysmal, it just put a lot of fear into people that Jones has plateau'd. A bad loss might help him be a mid-season firing next year if things start off poorly, but there's 0 chance he's gone during the offseason, even apart from the buyout.

If the rumors of Tennessee hiring David Blackburn as AD turn out to be true it will be a step in the right direction.

I think you will see staff changes at Tennessee (I will be shocked if DeBord is OC next year) after the bowl game, but Jones is here until the end of 2017.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Apparently we haven't hired Kiffin yet

https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/806849841959698432

(Duarte is the Chronicle's UH beat writer)

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

It's Kiffin!

Or not

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Jay Norvell to Nevada. He was... ok at Oklahoma. Good luck Reno.

Dude has OC'd at a bunch of Power 5 schools; might as well give him a shot

E: OK it was actually less than I thought (Nebraska, UCLA, OU, ASU)

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Real Name Grover posted:

Dude has OC'd at a bunch of Power 5 schools; might as well give him a shot

E: OK it was actually less than I thought (Nebraska, UCLA, OU, ASU)

Interim at Texas, too.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Wanvig posted:

Just curious, why so down on Applewhite? Because his play calling was so hit or miss this season, or is there more?

I've never agreed with his playcalls, and I also think Orlando has more potential. Guess we'll find out after a couple years at Texas.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dilber posted:

It's Kiffin!

Or not

https://twitter.com/hunteryurachek/status/806857746465300481

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
That's a pretty great tweet

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

It's time

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahahahaha

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Hahaha that's great.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Intruder posted:

Lane Kiffin it is. Ugh

This strikes me as Real Dumb if true.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

ComposerGuy posted:

This strikes me as Real Dumb if true.
It was reported by USA Today, waiting on the president's approval

Duarte's tweet doesn't directly refute it since the hire wouldn't be official until that point

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
Would Bama hire Kevin Wilson as OC?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
247 is saying that Jones has reached out to Rams S&C coach Rock Gullickson to become the new S&C at Tennessee. At first I was like the dude is 60 (Jones must have a thing for old guys), but than I realized it was the Marine from Hard Knocks this year. He was the best thing about that show this year.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
S&C plus Old Man Strength is a scary thought.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I doubt they would have serious moral qualms about it but the story going around has been that this was part of the reason they brought in Sark as coordinator.

Kiffin getting another chance is fine, I guess. I think Houston probably could have done a little better, and Kiffin probably would have fit better at USF.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

Thermos H Christ posted:

He seemed pretty competent at Texas, although it's hard to say how much was him and how much was his co-OC Major Applewhite. Our team would look SO inept the whole game but a lot of times 30+ points would just materialize somewhere along the way.

I liked the Harsin era at UT and it seems like he's been a pretty confident HC at Boise.

31-8 as HC at Boise including wins in the Fiesta and Ponsettia bowls. Not bad for the post-Kellen Moore era, I don't think Boise has had a QB that was CFL or practice squad worthy since he left. Maybe the biggest knock on him is that he has failed to recruit a really talented QB while HC at Boise.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

ChinaBob posted:

I liked the Harsin era at UT and it seems like he's been a pretty confident HC at Boise.

31-8 as HC at Boise including wins in the Fiesta and Ponsettia bowls. Not bad for the post-Kellen Moore era, I don't think Boise has had a QB that was CFL or practice squad worthy since he left. Maybe the biggest knock on him is that he has failed to recruit a really talented QB while HC at Boise.

Rypien is a little inconsistent but by and large has been really good, especially for a sophomore

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

South Carolina OL coach Shawn Elliott has been hired as Georgia State's head coach. This is probably the rare move that benefits both parties -- outside of a couple seasons, Elliott's unit very much underperformed. But he was by far Spurrier's best recruiter and also a fan/player favorite, so that was enough to keep him around (he was also our interim coach after Spurrier resigned). All around great guy and I wish him the best.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

MourningView posted:

Joe Moorhead could go to Temple now or he could wait a year and land a mid-upper P5 job.

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain

MourningView posted:

Rypien is a little inconsistent but by and large has been really good, especially for a sophomore

Plus his cousin plays lingerie league-- always confused they don't bring that up more during Boise game broadcasts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lasagna Pilot posted:

MourningView posted:

I doubt they would have serious moral qualms about it but the story going around has been that this was part of the reason they brought in Sark as coordinator.

Yeah, if Wilson really is untouchable after these allegations then you can't bring him on as a coach, but you can bring him on as one of the "coaching assistants" army that Saban has underneath him and what Sark is now. Spend some time in Saban Rehabilitation Home for Wayward TrojansCoaches and then step back into a minor role.

Counting Sark and Kiffykins for now, Saban's got what, three former HCs on staff right now? Those two and Cristobal, am I missing anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ole Miss dismissed one of their co-OC's and the recruiting guy who was implicated in the Tunsil texts.

I also read some rumors that Sark is being looked at for LSU's next OC. I would think the Alabama OC job is his if Kiffin leaves though so I don't know why he would take LSU over that.

• Locked thread