Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean there's casual and there's casual. Like, I played once years ago when the game ended after Piety and got a character juuuust in to merciless not really knowing what I was doing. I picked the game up this fall and got a character up to l80 in essence league by following a guide pretty religiously and using poe.trade this time a bit. I failed all 2 uber labarynth trials I found in maps, and basically filled out all the tier 1-5 nodes in the atlas before league ran out. I think at the end of league I had 25c in my stash, which felt like a lot, but I guess in the wider scheme of things is peanuts.

But like, I don't know whether items are worth selling and for how much (I'm sure I undersold a few things things heavily). It takes a few nights of playing to level a character so it's hard to experiment. I can't rattle off any particular uniques or know whether I'd want to fit them in to a build, I hoard all my lesser currency for probably no reason, and it all leads to a sense of apprehension that I'm playing the game wrong.

This is why your poor. Run maps quickly. get currency. Sell currency you don't need. Currency is the easiest way to earn chaos when you aren't sure what good items are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Also, do the Chaos recipe religiously.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

With a lot of patient help from ingame chat I put together this life-based Pyre Vortex Elementalist (thanks to Rodent for the ES based tree I built off of and Raider and shim for the advice in game). Anyone see anything obvioulsy wrong with it before I start a new character tonight or tomorrow?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 8, 2016

Shamshel
Sep 20, 2003

Angel of phallic symbols
I'm playing a max block duelist in hardcore, and I just got to the end of act one in merciless. I know I need my cruel lab so I can get the block applied to spells, but holy hell lab was tedious as gently caress in normal, and now in cruel it could kill me. What's a reasonable amount to pay (alone with forfeiting my hardcore cred) for someone else to do it for me?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Ciaphas posted:

With a lot of patient help from ingame chat I put together this life-based Pyre Vortex Elementalist (thanks to Rodent for the ES based tree I built off of and Raider and shim for the advice in game). Anyone see anything obvioulsy wrong with it before I start a new character tonight or tomorrow?
A few quick thoughts:

- why are you getting Vaal Pact? This build relies on ignites for most of its damage, and you can't leech from DoT
- get Mastermind of Discord (or even Liege of the Primordial) over Paragon of Calamity, you won't kill yourself on reflect rares and you won't want to run reflect maps anyway, unless you did go Vaal Pact, but again see above
- drop the elemental cluster by EE, pick up Snowforged (gigantic damage boost)
- I'd really really recommend grabbing whispers of doom, +1 curse is insanely good
- I wouldn't bother with the cast speed from alira in cruel, but it's not the worst choice
- you should consider getting Written in Blood (strictly superior to Melding unless using Energy from Within, though you can totally get both) and Celestial Punishment/Judgement

The overall outline looks good, I just have a few quibbles.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Shamshel posted:

I'm playing a max block duelist in hardcore, and I just got to the end of act one in merciless. I know I need my cruel lab so I can get the block applied to spells, but holy hell lab was tedious as gently caress in normal, and now in cruel it could kill me. What's a reasonable amount to pay (alone with forfeiting my hardcore cred) for someone else to do it for me?

3-5 c? I would check the forums

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

theshim posted:

A few quick thoughts:

- why are you getting Vaal Pact? This build relies on ignites for most of its damage, and you can't leech from DoT
- get Mastermind of Discord (or even Liege of the Primordial) over Paragon of Calamity, you won't kill yourself on reflect rares and you won't want to run reflect maps anyway, unless you did go Vaal Pact, but again see above
- drop the elemental cluster by EE, pick up Snowforged (gigantic damage boost)
- I'd really really recommend grabbing whispers of doom, +1 curse is insanely good
- I wouldn't bother with the cast speed from alira in cruel, but it's not the worst choice
- you should consider getting Written in Blood (strictly superior to Melding unless using Energy from Within, though you can totally get both) and Celestial Punishment/Judgement

The overall outline looks good, I just have a few quibbles.

Something like this, then? That takes me all the way to level 87 to complete, which seems high, and I had to ditch a couple of Jewel nodes to get it to that.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Something like this, then? That takes me all the way to level 87 to complete, which seems high, and I had to ditch a couple of Jewel nodes to get it to that.

You can save the damage nodes past the left-most jewel slot and some of the right-most life nodes till later. This is plenty functional at 70 and gives you a direction to grow in depending on how long you want to play the character. I'd also drop the damage node below Elementalist; 8% isn't that much, and you can grab that jewel you go past below Mind over Matter instead.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

http://poeurl.com/Uze try something like that

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
A stibnite flask is by far the best flask for freeze immunity even if your character doesnt benefit much from evasion right?

15 seconds of uptime seems to be far beyond what other flasks offer - like the 8 seconds from a granite flask.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

peak debt posted:

A stibnite flask is by far the best flask for freeze immunity even if your character doesnt benefit much from evasion right?

15 seconds of uptime seems to be far beyond what other flasks offer - like the 8 seconds from a granite flask.

Blind caps the affected target's chance to hit to 50%, so even for non-evasion builds it's quite nice to have up. There's a reason why the blind support gem is set at 10%, it's a very powerful debuff for enemies that attack. On a flask though it's only in a small area so it's appeal diminishes rapidy the more range your build dictates you stay at.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Dec 8, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I prefer using something that benefits my character instead of gaining a second or two. Experimenter's Sapphire of Heat being the most obvious example.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Goddamn I hate scorching ray so much. The skill itself is fun but I have no quick way to quantify how good for dps a thing is. And the degen nature of the skill makes it hard to eyeball how much of a damage boost I'm getting. I added a fifth gem and a higher spell damage wand(some 86% spell damage to replace an ashcaller) and I don't feel like there was that appreciable a dps boost...

I think eventually I'm supposed to get a doryanis but they're about as expensive as a bino's right now... Might have to just settle for a 5 link searing and be happy with that until doryanis come way down.

It's probably not helping that my main guy is bladeflurry since there's a very immediate feel to when I upgrade gear on him.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of cold to fire/AoF vs Pyre? I've seen reccommendations either way but no explanation why

Pyre is a pretty decent offensive and defensive ring for whispering ice, frees up a "link" on your main attack and means you don't have to route to avatar of fire, so depending on your tree might free up a significant number of passives. I think it's hard to justify using cold to fire instead in this instance despite what the other guys said. Part of the point of WI is you get a very cheap 7 link setup, and with cold to fire you've essentially lost one of those. Normally I try to avoid using uniques because there's a big opportunity cost to them as rat said, but I think in this instance it's worth it. I think the main thing you lose here is a bit of flat int, which isn't great, but not the end of the world.

To help with survivability you can run leap slam+fortify, but ultimately with a WI build you need to know when to stand far away from enemies and when it's safe to get in close.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

AegisP posted:

Also, do the Chaos recipe religiously.

yeah keep doing this and make 1c an hour extra by losing 10c in productivity

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

It totally does not cost you much if you are well organized.

EDIT: Also, how much should a 700+ ES chest be costing me at this point in time? I'd definitely like a boost from my 480 chest.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 8, 2016

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

lurksion posted:

EDIT: Also, how much should a 700+ ES chest be costing me at this point in time? I'd definitely like a boost from my 480 chest.

I bought a 5L 700es chest with one resist a couple days ago for like 90c. I assume they've only gotten cheaper.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Got a Grand Spectrum and corrupted a 29% Sacrificial Harvest last night.

If I liquidate those and everything else, I still won't be able to buy a Shav's, but I'm getting close!

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

MMF Freeway posted:

I bought a 5L 700es chest with one resist a couple days ago for like 90c. I assume they've only gotten cheaper.
Apparently not. Boo.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lurksion posted:

if you're picking up anything except specific jewelry or weapons/shields from very specific maps you're wasting your time

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I'll load my inventory with boss drops at the end of the map :shrug:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I have a tab for each thing(accessories, hats, chest, gloves, boots, 2h) that I slowly fill up over time. When the tabs are full I clear them out, for a total gain of like 45-50c. It's not bad.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Then why do people who get rich EVERY league never do the chaos recipe? Or stop once their a bit into maps? It's a noob trap. The more time you're loving about in your hide out the less money you make because that's less time you're killing poo poo in maps.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Only if you're stupid about it. Doing the chaos recipe doesn't require loading your inventory with every rare you find and going back to town a lot. It means knowing what sets you have partially completed and grabbing an item or two here and there to flesh out the sets a bit more when you finish the map you're in.

Holyshoot posted:

Then why do people who get rich EVERY league never do the chaos recipe? Or stop once their a bit into maps? It's a noob trap. The more time you're loving about in your hide out the less money you make because that's less time you're killing poo poo in maps.

Because they play more than a lot of other players, or get really lucky, in my experience. If you don't have the same amount of time to invest, the chaos recipe is steady, safe income.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

DemonMage posted:

This gladiator build specifically uses Soul Taker.

That one also calls for a bringer of rain which I miraculously just got from a prophecy. I've never cared much for the item though. It's got nice stats but I don't like losing a 4link and you can get way more life and armor from a regular setup. The free blind does make for a nice survivability boost. I don't know. I'm kinda torn on whether to sell it and just get a regular 6l or try to use with the soul taker.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
A person who finished a league with 25c, reached tier 5 at most in maps, and is still at the point where level 80 is a significant leveling accomplishment, is going to gain more from having a steady source of supplementary income that is readily accessible than attempting to hyperfocus on efficiency for efficiency's sake.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I mean some of those people literally have other people who follow them around, pick poo poo up, sort it and sell it for them. But yes, religiously doing the chaos recipe is a waste of time. I do it a bit at the start of a league when chaos are relatively rare, and then occasionally when I'm done mapping and happen to have a set or two on hand. What I actually do is set a couple 1c buyout tabs that I dump whatever garbage I happen to ID into and when they get full I empty them out at a vendor.

For anything I deem not garbage, rather than look up and price individual rares, I set global b/os starting high and stepping down by tab. When I find something worth a poo poo, I drop it in a tab priced higher than I think it's actually worth, and then shift it down a tab once or twice a day until it sells or is no longer worth my time to trade. Not gonna pretend what I do is ~optimal~ for my time, but it usually works out.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Holyshoot posted:

100% correct. I think chaos recipe is a waste of time on HC where exalts are 20-23c each. On SC it's absolutely horrible use of time. Clear as many maps as efficiently as you can, and only pick up bases that have a high chance of being valuable and you'll make a lot more money than methodically running chaos recipes.

Hauki posted:

What I actually do is set a couple 1c buyout tabs
I personally don't even think selling something for 1c is worth my time, but I accept that's a bit extreme for most people.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

TheRat posted:

only pick up bases that have a high chance of being valuable...

If you want to do the chaos recipe, you probably don't even know what these are. gently caress, I have played this game for almost 1500 hours and I barely have a handle on that stuff.

On the other hand I don't think playing as maximum efficiency is very fun either.

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

100% correct. I think chaos recipe is a waste of time on HC where exalts are 20-23c each. On SC it's absolutely horrible use of time. Clear as many maps as efficiently as you can, and only pick up bases that have a high chance of being valuable and you'll make a lot more money than methodically running chaos recipes.

I played open beta and just got back. How would I know if an item is good or if it is a good base?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well, that's what loot filters are for.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

TheRat posted:

I personally don't even think selling something for 1c is worth my time, but I accept that's a bit extreme for most people.

Yup. While you're wasting your inventory slots on rares I'll pick up a 6 socket that is worth 60% of a chaos. Get two of those and you have over a chaos in jewelers for less space and headache (vendor > done).

This guys a good streamer/YT to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0nr5I8lq-4 He plays a gently caress load and his mantra is "if you want to get rich play A LOT." Manages to get a HH and skyforths every league. But he goes over little min/max tips you can take and use that will help speed up your farming time even if you don't play a lot.

Like when you're done with a map, immediately throw in the next map and spawn it and during that spawn time dump your inventory to your stash or sell what you need to sell and then go in. He also has a video on his twitch channel on how to build your atlas to make good currency. I'm following it now. I then plan to do a vaal sparker and go max farm mode for currency following his vaal sparker guide.

As a side note can anyone comment if this is still accurate for speed leveling to dried lake? It seems a bit off. I usually hit dried lakes before I'm level 70. This is SC. I am trying to learn and prepare so I can level my vaal spark dude quick to dried lakes. I hate that it took me like 20 hours to hit merc lakes :/. I have also read up on guides looking at liftingnerd and mathil made one as well recently for leveling quick. I do stay a few levels below each zone but I think maybe I do the zones wrong or just don't skip enough garbage and kill too much stuff where I could just do the objectives then farm a more efficient spot and move on.

http://pastebin.com/kwSAvEEn

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 8, 2016

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ixjuvin posted:

If you want to do the chaos recipe, you probably don't even know what these are. gently caress, I have played this game for almost 1500 hours and I barely have a handle on that stuff.

On the other hand I don't think playing as maximum efficiency is very fun either.

And that's why I recommend Greengroove's loot filter as often as I can! The endgame filter, while not perfect, does a very good job of removing most of the useless crap so you don't need to memorise everything.

damnfan posted:

I played open beta and just got back. How would I know if an item is good or if it is a good base?

1) See above.
2) Start browsing the wiki for what bases are top of each class, while also getting a feel for what's "in the meta" aka what's likely to sell if it rolls well.
3) Here's a cheat-sheet that's probably incomplete: Vaal Regalia, Widowsilk Robe, Sorcerer's Gloves, Fingerless Silk Gloves, Sorcerer's boots, Slink Boots, Titan Greaves, Slink Gloves, Gripped Gloves, Titan Gauntlets, Gripped Gloves, Rustic Sash, Heavy Belt, Leather Belt, Crystal Belt, Chain Belt, Vanguard Belt, Hubris Circlet, Eternal Burgonet, Lion Pelt, Bone Helmet, all amulets/rings/jewels, Vaal Spirit Shield, Harmonic Spirit Shield, Titanium Spirit Shield, Supreme Spiked Shield.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 8, 2016

J
Jun 10, 2001

Eh. The opportunity cost of doing the chaos recipe depends on how good your build is. For these superrich guys, they play tons of hours on a top tier build that clears fast as hell. They're right not to do it, since spending 2 minutes of inventory tetris for them is another map's worth of clearing. For the average joe who is spending 15-30 minutes a map, they aren't missing nearly as many kills.

Personally I just throw jewelry and belts into a tab. At the end of the map IF I have inventory space and IF there are any decent rares laying there, I'll throw them into the tab. Then down the line sometime when I'm waiting around in my hideout on a trade or whatever I'll vendor the poo poo in that tab for a few recipes worth of chaos. It takes very little time this way and I feel I come out ahead by doing so. But I'm also typically not playing builds that are blasting through maps in 2 minutes. If I did, I'd be way less inclined to do this.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

I still can't exactly understand how vaal lightning strike works but apparently it's a good boss killer? I think I need something single targeted to complement the hyaon lightning strickster I'm remaking for this season.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Holyshoot posted:

This guys a good streamer/YT to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0nr5I8lq-4

I like this guy's stream but I legit thought it was a gag at the beginning when he was talking about optimizing his hideout layout lol.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

jjac posted:

I still can't exactly understand how vaal lightning strike works but apparently it's a good boss killer? I think I need something single targeted to complement the hyaon lightning strickster I'm remaking for this season.

It puts an effect on an enemy that then hits them (and all nearby enemies but this doesn't really matter) several times over the next few seconds. All combined each swing does like 800% of your base damage in the end. And these stack up with each other, and you can store 3 charges, so if you link it with multistrike and have full charges going into a boss, you can have 9 of them going on a boss at once for a total of over 7000% of the base weapon damage to a single monster.

Think of it like poison or bleed but instead of a DoT you get a bunch of hits over a long duration.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MMF Freeway posted:

I like this guy's stream but I legit thought it was a gag at the beginning when he was talking about optimizing his hideout layout lol.

I want to like him but he's way too positive and I just can't handle it lmao

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
lmao at worrying about moving an extra 4 video game steps to get to your stash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012

TheRat posted:

And that's why I recommend Greengroove's loot filter as often as I can! The endgame filter, while not perfect, does a very good job of removing most of the useless crap so you don't need to memorise everything..

What do you think about neversink's compared to greengroove? My friends told me to use the former.

I assume the filters show the good bases.

• Locked thread