Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
If you have a recent version of android that is built into the OS - just long-press on the notification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Isn't Spaceship Battles just an unlicensed knockoff of Galaxy Trucker? Because everyone was playing Galaxy Trucker like a year ago and that poo poo is worth paying for.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Isn't Spaceship Battles just an unlicensed knockoff of Galaxy Trucker? Because everyone was playing Galaxy Trucker like a year ago and that poo poo is worth paying for.

I'd say it's much more an unlicensed knockoff of Gratuitous Space Battles than of Galaxy Trucker. :)

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

The games are nothing alike. Galaxy Trucker is a multi ship board game where you cobble a ship together using random parts and try to get through a random scenario earning more points than the others. Spaceship Battles is a 1 on 1 arena and you use persistent ship designs and grind up the ladder unlocking new ship types/technologies.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This game is fun as hell!

Is there anywhere you've found that has fun builds?

I've been rolling with this.

I want to fit a shield too, but the warp drive helps mitigate damage a bit, and the long range laser hammers poo poo.

I've gone for an all gun Corvette, 4 Chain Guns, 2 Vulcan Cannons, 4 Small Reactors and 2 Combat Shields.

It just dumps out so much firepower it's melted everyone instantly so far.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

SynthesisAlpha posted:

For endless runs, you fight a boss at floor 30 and every 10 floors after. They get pretty ridiculous after floor 40, so the way to beat them is to take the Great Elf King title instead. Every upgrade of that title gives you an item that deals 10x your attack (half to bosses). Cast disrupting ray to boost your damage and fire them off for 1k+ a hit.

I just tried this out with Adventurer/Swordsman/Spy, and everything worked great... except that I can't cast Disrupting Ray. My level 3 subskills give me Earth, Water and Light, not Air. What do I need to make this work?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Trying out gumballs, I don't quite get it. When I am in a dungeon I can upgrade my gumball using EP, but then when after completing it and starting a new one it seems like my gumball has lost all his upgrades. Seems like a total waste of EP.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Knifegrab posted:

Trying out gumballs, I don't quite get it. When I am in a dungeon I can upgrade my gumball using EP, but then when after completing it and starting a new one it seems like my gumball has lost all his upgrades. Seems like a total waste of EP.

Yeah it's a roguelike. EP is spent in-dungeon to upgrade your slime for that run. That's its only purpose. There's also DP, which is earned by completing quests in dungeons, which gives you rewards. You can get items and such to power up your slime permanently while running through dungeons, typically using DP or something.

So I picked up a Dragon Ball and thought it was a mistranslation, that is, until I got 7 (or 8, I forget) and suddenly I was talking to a dragon slime who offerered me a wish. I wished for gems, and was put into a mine where I had to tap three gem blocks 999 times each. The first block gave me one gem. The second block gave me one gem. The third block gave me 40 gems.

This is an interesting game.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Morpheus posted:

Yeah it's a roguelike. EP is spent in-dungeon to upgrade your slime for that run. That's its only purpose. There's also DP, which is earned by completing quests in dungeons, which gives you rewards. You can get items and such to power up your slime permanently while running through dungeons, typically using DP or something.

So I picked up a Dragon Ball and thought it was a mistranslation, that is, until I got 7 (or 8, I forget) and suddenly I was talking to a dragon slime who offerered me a wish. I wished for gems, and was put into a mine where I had to tap three gem blocks 999 times each. The first block gave me one gem. The second block gave me one gem. The third block gave me 40 gems.

This is an interesting game.

Huh ok. How do I get new types of gumballs? I've completed like five dunegeons but I still only have teh adventurer.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

..btt posted:

If you have a recent version of android that is built into the OS - just long-press on the notification.

A warning on this: apps don't always play nice with this setting. I had a problem for months where my phone would just vibrate randomly at all hours of the day with no notifications popping up. I tried all kinds of solutions, got a monitoring program to check for programs that might be alerting me and then vanishing from the notification list (didn't show anything though) and basically did everything short of a factory reset -- since it was an annoyance, but not worth having to reload everything for.

Finally I got the idea to switch back on all of the app notifications I had turned off for various badly programmed games that didn't have their own in-app notification preferences. And what a surprise, some lovely old gamevil game that I'd stopped playing and forgotten about ages ago was triggering vibrations to tell me about stupid gacha deals or whatever. After uninstalling that with a vengeance, I've had no further issues.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Knifegrab posted:

Huh ok. How do I get new types of gumballs? I've completed like five dunegeons but I still only have teh adventurer.

You should get a new one each time you clear the third stage in a new area, other than the first (which is the Adventurer's area and you already have him). The third stage in each succeeding area gives you the Swordsman, Mage, Bandit, Gladiator, and Minstrel and that's as far as I've gotten because the boss in Forest of Whispers hits like a truck.

You can buy $1 worth of gems at the Shop and receive the Terminator, which is nice. Kaito arrives via daily signin rewards, Magic Golem can be summoned in Alchemy once you've gotten its item from a later dungeon, and Captain can be freed similarly but fixing his Airship costs 500000 so I'm nowhere near that yet. The Spy can be acquired by going a few posts up and clicking the link in one of my posts, then entering a buttload of the codes on that page and then entering "JOINME" as a code.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Aramoro posted:

I've gone for an all gun Corvette, 4 Chain Guns, 2 Vulcan Cannons, 4 Small Reactors and 2 Combat Shields.

It just dumps out so much firepower it's melted everyone instantly so far.

I'm starting to have issues with balancing weapons against defenses. Going all in on one type of damage results in me either killing or being stopped cold by a hard counter, but mixing up weapon types results in me doing like no damage.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
yet another weird anime game look:

Valkyrie Connect is a Summoner's War-style game from A-Team, the dudes behind Unison League (that party grouping RPG that you barely played) and War of Legions (a game i skipped over because generally anything with War Of in the title is a clash of clans ripoff; i guess i was wrong).

The game is notable for having some JP voice acting if thats your thing, I don't know JP VAs well so I can't comment on how prolific they are, but it sounds alright and not annoying to listen to (and it can be muted if you're tired of it). It also has a pretty decently varied cast of characters with a few fanservicy portaits (lookin at you kung fu mei or w/e your name is). The main draw of this game for me is the drop in anytime boss fights; anytime you see a boss icon up (and its up almost all the time) you can help random players clear harder content and get rewards for it. Autoplay is a thing, its fast, and levels blaze by quickly in the beginning. Probably gets harder later on.

It has IAP, of course, and it feels alright in the amount they pay out as you complete quests and missions; it didn't feel like it was pushing me to buy packs or anything. There are newbie packs available and they seem to be of use, but I haven't bought it yet and don't really feel like I need to.

Honestly like this game a lot more than I should, probably plink around with it for a while and see if it holds interest or not.

e: huh this game actually came out in late october/early november so i guess its me, i'm the one late to the party

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 7, 2016

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Polytopia continues to be a lot of fun. Buying some of the IAP civs actually makes the game way harder though. Having the archer Civ start as an enemy is real rough. I'm currently stuck at 3 enemy civs on hard on perfection. I don't see myself getting bored of it for a while.

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

boy are my arms tired posted:

yet another weird anime game look:

Valkyrie Connect is a Summoner's War-style game from A-Team, the dudes behind Unison League (that party grouping RPG that you barely played) and War of Legions (a game i skipped over because generally anything with War Of in the title is a clash of clans ripoff; i guess i was wrong).

The game is notable for having some JP voice acting if thats your thing, I don't know JP VAs well so I can't comment on how prolific they are, but it sounds alright and not annoying to listen to (and it can be muted if you're tired of it). It also has a pretty decently varied cast of characters with a few fanservicy portaits (lookin at you kung fu mei or w/e your name is). The main draw of this game for me is the drop in anytime boss fights; anytime you see a boss icon up (and its up almost all the time) you can help random players clear harder content and get rewards for it. Autoplay is a thing, its fast, and levels blaze by quickly in the beginning. Probably gets harder later on.

It has IAP, of course, and it feels alright in the amount they pay out as you complete quests and missions; it didn't feel like it was pushing me to buy packs or anything. There are newbie packs available and they seem to be of use, but I haven't bought it yet and don't really feel like I need to.

Honestly like this game a lot more than I should, probably plink around with it for a while and see if it holds interest or not.

e: huh this game actually came out in late october/early november so i guess its me, i'm the one late to the party

This is one of the two gacha games currently holding my interest. I think it's because I'm constantly able to make progress on my heroes. As soon as you pull a hero you have the ability to push them a bit further to the next rarity through dailies.
This constant progress plus already mentioned autorunning/clearing makes for an unobtrusive distraction. Not necessarily what everyone looks for in these games, granted.

Pulling itself seems rather generous but mainly because it looks like you can build nearly every character up to a viable basis. While there obviously is a preferred meta it doesn't look like there are any ~Nat 5s~ here.
Actual 1% fuckery seems to be all in the items.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I lost about a third of my battery to Polytopia this morning. Great Civ-lite to kill time on the train

e: More like a fifth really, Pixel XL superiority

The Duggler fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016/12/sony_announces_slew_of_first-party_smartphone_games

Sony announced a bunch of smartphone games.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Rastor posted:

I'd like to put in a mention for Spaceship Battles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRRvCIw9g6Q

You equip spaceships with components and then send them off to the arena to face designs other people have constructed. It really satisfies both the "build things from parts" and min-maxing itches.

There are IAPs but they are easily avoided if you treat it as a rest break / train ride mobile game.

This game is fun, I made it to rank 8 so far. The Dart punches really far above its weight if you're willing to drop a little celestium on upgrading it. Being able to hide all your guns behind one plug of armor is surprisingly effective. On the other hand, skip over the Corvette and the viper if you can because they are quickly obsoleted. I jumped over the Raven to the Ironwing too, and it is easily able to outmatch the Raven's numerical advantage in my experience, especially since you get the point defense turret at the same rank

Edit: In fact right after I posted this my Dart matched against a Valkyrie (the first frigate) and won. I should've bought two instead of the Corvette

Dial-a-Dog fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 7, 2016

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

CascadeBeta posted:

Polytopia continues to be a lot of fun. Buying some of the IAP civs actually makes the game way harder though. Having the archer Civ start as an enemy is real rough. I'm currently stuck at 3 enemy civs on hard on perfection. I don't see myself getting bored of it for a while.

Yeah, I was really pleasantly surprised at how much depth the different starting techs add -- it definitely seems like the AI goes down different tech routes depending on what they start with, and the early game feels very different depending on who you end up nearby.

I think this is honestly my mobile GotY 2016. There was an episode of the Three Moves Ahead podcast where they discussed the dearth of 'bite size strategy' games on PC, and said that it was mostly going to be mobile games in the future. I feel like Polytopia is really living up to that promise in a way that a lot of other mobile strategy games haven't quite done.

I'm pretty sure I'm bad at it though, I'm having trouble breaking the 30k point barrier. Every time I play I can pretty much tell when I've messed up my city planning/build pretty clearly though, and it's always fun to try and improve the next time round. Speaking of, does anyone have recc's for good strategies for trying to run up the score? Gotta start 3 starring.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Posted this in the iOS thread but it's also available on Android...

Hey all. I released this today:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yeticgi.snowthrowvr

It's a google cardboard game that you can play in non-VR mode if you like. It's super simple to play and doesn't last much more than an hour. The idea sort of stemmed from an app that functioned as a Christmas Card more than anything else, and it's completely free with no ads or other purchases. I figure I'd share it in as many places as possible since it was fun to make, it's fun to play especially for kids, and it's definitely share-able with anyone guilt free since there are no revenue points. I'd appreciate it if you guys wanted to check it out. Thanks!

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
This fuckin' Gumball game is really good. It's casual enough that I can just pick it up and blast through whenever I feel like it, but it has enough depth that I don't feel like I'm going to need an IAP any time soon, even through the ones that are there are really reasonable. It's been the only game that's been able to knock my Idle Oil Tycoon addiction to the curb. All it needs is some kind of Guild / Clan system for earning resources and it's pretty much perfect.

The Engrish is hilarious, too.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Superrodan posted:

Posted this in the iOS thread but it's also available on Android...

Hey all. I released this today:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.yeticgi.snowthrowvr

It's a google cardboard game that you can play in non-VR mode if you like. It's super simple to play and doesn't last much more than an hour. The idea sort of stemmed from an app that functioned as a Christmas Card more than anything else, and it's completely free with no ads or other purchases. I figure I'd share it in as many places as possible since it was fun to make, it's fun to play especially for kids, and it's definitely share-able with anyone guilt free since there are no revenue points. I'd appreciate it if you guys wanted to check it out. Thanks!

It doesn't work on my Nexus 7 (2013). Tapping the non-VR icon turns my screen grey, and shows a dark blue box that's rotated almost 90 degrees, and fills up most of the screen.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

It doesn't work on my Nexus 7 (2013). Tapping the non-VR icon turns my screen grey, and shows a dark blue box that's rotated almost 90 degrees, and fills up most of the screen.

Hmm. I don't know what it is that could be doing that? Have you tried launching it again? I'm not even sure what the dark blue box could be. Do you hear any sound?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Aaronicon posted:

This fuckin' Gumball game is really good. It's casual enough that I can just pick it up and blast through whenever I feel like it, but it has enough depth that I don't feel like I'm going to need an IAP any time soon, even through the ones that are there are really reasonable. It's been the only game that's been able to knock my Idle Oil Tycoon addiction to the curb. All it needs is some kind of Guild / Clan system for earning resources and it's pretty much perfect.

I'm so torn on it. The dungeons feel like they go on just a little too long sometimes but I'm really digging how easy it is to pick up and put down.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Superrodan posted:

Hmm. I don't know what it is that could be doing that? Have you tried launching it again? I'm not even sure what the dark blue box could be. Do you hear any sound?

Yeah, launched it a few times, same result every time. I do get sound, and the occasional... I guess it's snow? in the background.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Aaronicon posted:

I had to stop and remove it when I realized I had been sitting at my computer with Witcher 3 paused for half an hour so I could play my phone game. Agree with Len that the dungeons can drag but otherwise really fun stuff.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Yeah, launched it a few times, same result every time. I do get sound, and the occasional... I guess it's snow? in the background.

You're seeing the floor below you, so it seems for some reason it's not reading your accelerometer's input. It uses google VR for movement so it might be an incompatibility with the phone's age. Sorry :/

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Superrodan posted:

You're seeing the floor below you, so it seems for some reason it's not reading your accelerometer's input. It uses google VR for movement so it might be an incompatibility with the phone's age. Sorry :/

Ah. Yeah, the accelerometer's dying, and works approximatly whenever it wants to. Ah well.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

delfin posted:

Gumball: What's my best use for gems?

The gool.gl link above isn't resolving but there is this:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/gumballs-dungeons-forums/list-of-secret-codes/1687139128271880

which has a bunch of Secret Order codes, though some have expired and some require you to have unlocked certain features in the game.

Oh my god the codes are RTS cheat codes.

overseer07
Mar 30, 2003
Pillbug

Len posted:

I'm so torn on it. The dungeons feel like they go on just a little too long sometimes but I'm really digging how easy it is to pick up and put down.

If you feel they go on a little long, then yeah, probably best to drop it. I'm currently in hour 8 of a single dungeon run.

e: but you can pause a dungeon run at any time to go screw around in other parts of the game.

overseer07 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Dec 8, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Deakul posted:

Are there any games like Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes but... offline?
Collecting dudes and having turn based Final Fantasy-esque battles.

For that matter, are any of the Final Fantasies worth getting? Be they F2P or paid.
I've been trying Exvius but it's kind of terrible? Like it feels half finished for the most part.

I love the pixel art though, wouldn't mind a game in the same vein but offline, the wifi at my work is pretty unreliabe.

When described like that it kinda sounds very pokemon-ey. But I don't think I've seen any such thing offline without the pokemon dressing.

I'd throw in Granblue Fantasy if you wanna mess with an online grindfestcollectionathon kinda game, its pretty much a drat well produced off-brand FF with atouch more anime/waifu. It fills up whatever MMO itch bugs me these days. If anything else they do go all out with the music, tuna boss theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_XfNuKQOLY

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

My favorite Rockstar open world game, Bully, is now on the Play store for $7.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

ovaries posted:

My favorite Rockstar open world game, Bully, is now on the Play store for $7.

Bully was an incredible game, did you buy it? How are the touch controls?

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

I'm fine with waiting on a sale price and reading what others have to say about the port. As much as I loved Anniversary Scholarship Edition when I played the Wii version, I don't have a burning desire to revisit the game - I've had the PC version sitting unplayed in my Steam library for years now. I'm very glad Rockstar is showing it some love, though.

ovaries fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 8, 2016

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Awesome, I also loved Bully on the Wii and had a recent hankering to play it again. I had put off buying it on PS4 because it didn't have the Scholarship Edition content but I think I might have to pick this one up.

edit: also the soundtrack is still one of my all time favs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubHwgz9vZWE

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Dec 8, 2016

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity
Goddamn this gumball game. It's like Minesweeper but with murder. Anyway, haven't seen this posted yet, but in the main map, there's little spawns you can tap to get free stuff that refresh every now and then.

It's usually a pittance of gold or resources, but you can get IAP currency and free artisans, there's usually one chilling by the fountain just above hero town when he spawns, there's a lamp in the desert, tentacle in the sea, snowmen in the north, etc.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
So they still haven't announced an Android release date yet, only confirming that it is coming later, but here's a new video for Super Mario Run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKG5jU6DV70

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Dawn of Titans, a long in development F2P RTS with some pretty impressive graphics and epic Total War-esque battles is out on the Play Store.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

boy are my arms tired posted:

Hooray another Heroes Charge clone. Add me as DemonMage, for however long I wind up loving with it 😛

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dial-a-Dog posted:

This game is fun, I made it to rank 8 so far. The Dart punches really far above its weight if you're willing to drop a little celestium on upgrading it. Being able to hide all your guns behind one plug of armor is surprisingly effective. On the other hand, skip over the Corvette and the viper if you can because they are quickly obsoleted. I jumped over the Raven to the Ironwing too, and it is easily able to outmatch the Raven's numerical advantage in my experience, especially since you get the point defense turret at the same rank

Edit: In fact right after I posted this my Dart matched against a Valkyrie (the first frigate) and won. I should've bought two instead of the Corvette

How do you build your dart?