Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

*turns to an alternate right*

e: I thought I was the the meme thread

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Dec 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pull up Pull up!

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

pixaal posted:

Pull up Pull up!

Hit your after burners pilot!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

We'd better pull up from this topic by turning left before it completely goes off the rails.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

HardDiskD posted:

We'd better pull up from this topic by turning left before it completely goes off the rails.

So you'd choose to kill that one poster instead of leaving those five other posters to die by inaction, huh?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Malek posted:

Hit your after burners pilot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC9RJ_SCRfM

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Data Graham posted:

So you'd choose to kill that one poster instead of leaving those five other posters to die by inaction, huh?

It's gonna depend if the management has a habit of throwing people under the bus.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

AlexDeGruven posted:

Seriously, wtf is wrong with people?

I contemplated replying to his text at 4:30am, which is when I normally get up in the morning, but decided to take the high-road.

Call him at 4:30 am and ask if he received the e-mail you just sent (send the same one you already did), and then proceed to read it out loud for him.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dunno-Lars posted:

Call him at 4:30 am and ask if he received the e-mail you just sent (send the same one you already did), and then proceed to read it out loud for him.

I like you.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dunno-Lars posted:

I do this to my manager, but unironically because I think it's the only way he'll actually receive the information. I have to go over to his desk, take his mouse and open the email, then read it to him like a children's book.
This is the same manager that stood between me and the network engineer literally parroting every word we said to each other about an outage. He was otherwise no part of the conversation.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Dunno-Lars posted:

The trouble with this idea is it conflicts with the basic rule of ignore all work related poo poo unless you are actually working.
If everyone drew that line and stuck to it the world would be a much better place.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

flosofl posted:

All religions are pretend anyway :smuggo:

Would you like to hear about our Lord and Savior, Kapersky?

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Varkk posted:

The trouble with this idea is it conflicts with the basic rule of ignore all work related poo poo unless you are actually working.
If everyone drew that line and stuck to it the world would be a much better place.

I had a sales guy who got my personal mobile number somehow and kept spamming me with texts and VMs after 5pm on Fridays for non-important issues and then went to the GM and bitched that I was ignoring him.

Thankfully the GM is actually good at her job and told him that if he wanted out-of-office support he needed to organise it in advance, budget in the paid overtime for me, and (most importantly) ask me first whether I was going to be able (or willing) to do it.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
What's the best way to get an accurate look at memory consumption across three hosts in a VMWare environment?

I'm planning on increasing memory in a few guests that are below best practice specs (and are running like dogshit). My MSP is crying fowl that this will push me to 90% memory consumption according to the Host Summary page in VSphere if we lost a node, and that it could start to cause serious ballooning problems.

I'm looking at an ESXI host with 64 GB RAM. The sum of allocated memory for all guests on the host is 27 GB, and it's eating 2 GB overhead. On the Host summary page it's reporting 29 GB / 64 GB used.

There's no way all of the hosts on this server are running at 100% memory utilization. So how do I find out my actual utilization? Is this a safe practice to allocate 90% memory in a failsafe environment if the servers are utilizing less than 50% on average? Or does the host not care, committed memory is consumed memory, and 90% allocation is a dangerous game to pley?

In my research online I can't find a straight answer on this because I know over-allocation is a thing some people role the dice with, which leads me to believe that there is some metric of utilized guest memory that I'm missing and is important when calculating redundant capabilities.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

What's the best way to get an accurate look at memory consumption across three hosts in a VMWare environment?

I'm planning on increasing memory in a few guests that are below best practice specs (and are running like dogshit). My MSP is crying fowl that this will push me to 90% memory consumption according to the Host Summary page in VSphere if we lost a node, and that it could start to cause serious ballooning problems.

I'm looking at an ESXI host with 64 GB RAM. The sum of allocated memory for all guests on the host is 27 GB, and it's eating 2 GB overhead. On the Host summary page it's reporting 29 GB / 64 GB used.

There's no way all of the hosts on this server are running at 100% memory utilization. So how do I find out my actual utilization? Is this a safe practice to allocate 90% memory in a failsafe environment if the servers are utilizing less than 50% on average? Or does the host not care, committed memory is consumed memory, and 90% allocation is a dangerous game to pley?

In my research online I can't find a straight answer on this because I know over-allocation is a thing some people role the dice with, which leads me to believe that there is some metric of utilized guest memory that I'm missing and is important when calculating redundant capabilities.
To find the actual utilization, you could pull up vCenter and check out the memory utilization charts on the host/cluster/resource pool? There's a PowerCLI cmdlet that does this, too.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Varkk posted:

This is the correct answer. As much as I like to gently caress with people when they do stupid stuff, my approach was the best way to get the point across.

Ignore the initial contact. Reply during normal business hours, making sure to note that "Yes, I did receive your message, but I chose not to address it until business hours again because my time is my own unless something critical is broken and I need to address it".

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

There's no way all of the hosts on this server are running at 100% memory utilization.

I would monitor it for several weeks or months, preferably you have been monitoring it with a tool and have logs. Just because it doesn't average that doesn't mean they all don't peak at the same time. If you have two sites separated by 4 hour time zone difference you might have 1-2 hours of peak, or maybe they only peak during some rush when a 3rd site is coming in early to get stuff done with an extra shift.

On a smaller scale, the busy season (whenever that is for your company) might see users doing some crazy stuff. I'm virtualizing my current company in January (hardware on the way), one of the physical servers never goes above 2GB of RAM usage, but end of month reports cause it to go to 3-4GB, it gets really slow end of November / December / January because we are also really busy and have 25-50% more staff on for 3 months to get us through the massive rush. It gets slow because the server only has 4GB of RAM and I'm sure everyone knows what happens when you use spinning metal as RAM in a database. Luckily it's a different drive group but still.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pixaal posted:

I would monitor it for several weeks or months, preferably you have been monitoring it with a tool and have logs. Just because it doesn't average that doesn't mean they all don't peak at the same time. If you have two sites separated by 4 hour time zone difference you might have 1-2 hours of peak, or maybe they only peak during some rush when a 3rd site is coming in early to get stuff done with an extra shift.

When I took over this department a month ago, I didn't even have documentation on what roles each server had.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

When I took over this department a month ago, I didn't even have documentation on what roles each server had.
A few jobs ago I found out we had an unused wiki so I made a Servers page and I wrote a PowerShell script to query the roles/features on all the servers on the domain and formatted it for the wiki. I recently found out that it doesn't exist anymore :toot:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The answer is:

C) Buy more memory.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Currently working with a client who has no documentation, just a guy they ask when they want to know what something does.

I'm supposed to cover for this guy while he's on pto :yum:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin
I'm sure I've bitched about this before, but I've been sucked into a project I'm calling "Black Hole" in my mind, it keeps growing, sucking up budgets and time everywhere. This was an non-budgeted project that wasn't a thing before mid October, now it's become an unstoppable force of nature.

The initial budget listed for the project was $550k. I got sucked in to do rack elevations, wiring and cooling. It's up to at least $720k at this point, and they want to add more. :wtc:

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

hihifellow posted:

Currently working with a client who has no documentation, just a guy they ask when they want to know what something does.

I'm supposed to cover for this guy while he's on pto :yum:

There is a project group in our ticketing system that literally has a subject of "<name> on PTO".

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Project manager: Oh hey we failed an audit and urgently require you to install, configure, and maintain these 4 firewall appliances we just purchased.

Rend: Oh sure. Let me take a look and we can give you a quote.

*looks*

Rend: These are SSL VPN appliances.

PM: poo poo...

e: "But they must be firewalls, they say they have syslog!"

...what

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

I know I should know better than to ask a question like this, but why are your PMs buying hardware?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I'm sure they didn't. They would have been advised by Sales to tell the customer to buy it!

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

A call came in:

"My monitor is shrinking."

Never seen that before, no idea what causes it.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

hazzlebarth posted:

A call came in:

Me neither. Maybe the polarized film detached from that corner?

I can't argue with the description, though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hazzlebarth posted:

A call came in:

BENQ's are pieces of poo poo. We've had two die on us from their displayports no longer accepting video inputs, and we're looking at the rest pretty hard expecting them to fail in the same way as well.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The host knows that not all committed memory is actually in use (I think the metric in vSphere is %active or something like that). The rest hasn't been written to for a while so while it might still be getting read, it also could be freed memory that the OS doesn't have allocated any more. By default the host only tries to reclaim this with the balloon driver above something like 95% usage, so depending on the profile of your guest VMs you might have way more failover capacity than you think. The risk is that you don't want to ever have the host allocate swap when a VM requests memory, since performance takes a massive nosedive at that point. This is an actual problem, ballooning on the other hand has fairly low performance impact (it encourages guests to use their own virtual memory on disk, but the guest OS can be smart about this unlike the host).

All that said if you're in this position then you'll need to buy more RAM as soon as you need to spin up a new VM for some project anyway, so you might as well just buy it now.

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

BENQ's are pieces of poo poo. We've had two die on us from their displayports no longer accepting video inputs, and we're looking at the rest pretty hard expecting them to fail in the same way as well.

We have about 600 Monitors in total, half BenQ, half Acer. With the latter we have massive problems with their internal power supplies dying, starts with them emitting a high pitched noise, then going dark a couple days later, had at least 5 dying the same way in the last 6 months.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Scikar posted:

The host knows that not all committed memory is actually in use (I think the metric in vSphere is %active or something like that). The rest hasn't been written to for a while so while it might still be getting read, it also could be freed memory that the OS doesn't have allocated any more. By default the host only tries to reclaim this with the balloon driver above something like 95% usage, so depending on the profile of your guest VMs you might have way more failover capacity than you think. The risk is that you don't want to ever have the host allocate swap when a VM requests memory, since performance takes a massive nosedive at that point. This is an actual problem, ballooning on the other hand has fairly low performance impact (it encourages guests to use their own virtual memory on disk, but the guest OS can be smart about this unlike the host).

All that said if you're in this position then you'll need to buy more RAM as soon as you need to spin up a new VM for some project anyway, so you might as well just buy it now.

Thank you for the explanation, this is just what I'm looking for. My failover unallocated memory is 9% so I think I should be good for the day or two a node is down. I also marked two servers as non-critical that I'll kill if we hit memory issues.

And in government work, 'might as well just buy it now' is one of those phrases that just doesn't register with anybody else here. They will look at you like you spoke Greek and ignore the sentiment.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

We have some ancient HP monitors where the internal power supply is dying and it manifests as the image going wavy, presumably in sync with the 50hz mains frequency. It's kind of trippy, but extremely annoying to look at.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

hazzlebarth posted:

A call came in:

Have you tried replacing the cellulose with a vegan alternative?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hazzlebarth posted:

We have about 600 Monitors in total, half BenQ, half Acer. With the latter we have massive problems with their internal power supplies dying, starts with them emitting a high pitched noise, then going dark a couple days later, had at least 5 dying the same way in the last 6 months.

BenQ and Acer. I don't think you could find worse brands if you were shopping out of dumpsters.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

hazzlebarth posted:

A call came in:

Check for magnets?
Yes, I know that LCD monitors don't work that way

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in.

"I'm replying to this email, but it's bouncing back!"
"Ok, let me check."

To: no-reply@company.com

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Check for magnets?
Yes, I know that LCD monitors don't work that way

I sometimes kind of miss the degauss button. :unsmith:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"There's too much gauss in my monitor" *BWWOOONNNNGGGG*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

"There's too much gauss in my monitor" *BWWOOONNNNGGGG*

That was always my favorite sound. It was loud AF on the old 21" Trinitron CRT I had (2560x1536 in 2003, aww yes).

• Locked thread