Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Rhyno posted:

And what the hell happened towards the end there, Keiynan Lonsdale did a [perfect Joe West impression. I was floored, he might actually grow into this role.

He's actually really good when he's allowed to be funny, hopefully that will continue now that they're past the "don't use your superspeed to save yourself and others :byodood:" drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Knormal posted:

Every time they lock someone in one of their Science Jailcells I just keep focusing on how there's no bathroom in it.

If I remember correctly the Cisco blog thing from season one said that the no-bathroom-breaks pods connected into another room when they weren't being called up to talk to Team Flash.

Though now that I think about it that would just raise even more questions about no-lunch supermax.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Rhyno posted:

Candace Patton's wardrobe this episode was fuckin on point.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

8one6 posted:

If I remember correctly the Cisco blog thing from season one said that the no-bathroom-breaks pods connected into another room when they weren't being called up to talk to Team Flash.

Though now that I think about it that would just raise even more questions about no-lunch supermax.
Really I think it would have been a lot better if they said the pods held them in stasis or suspended animation or whatever sci-fi buzzword they wanted to use when they weren't being interacted with. That also lessens the horrible moral issues of throwing supervillians into indefinite solitary confinement, where they have nothing to do but go insane and build a grudge.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's actually a pretty sweet resort on the other side with pools and a game room.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Aphrodite posted:

There's actually a pretty sweet resort on the other side with pools and a game room.

And if you're vegan, they'll accommodate your dietary requirements!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Bad Moon posted:

And if you're vegan, they'll accommodate your dietary requirements!

This is false; the only food in that universe is Big Belly Burger.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Knormal posted:

Every time they lock someone in one of their Science Jailcells I just keep focusing on how there's no bathroom in it.

I'm not sure why this is surprising, TV dudes don't poop. When is the last time you've seen any building designed with a bathroom. Do you have any idea where the bathroom is in the Star Labs building? It's pretty big, and you may note that in real life basically any building that isn't a residence has signs or other design features to draw attention to them. It's just a law of the TV universes, most shows exist in a universe that is vibrating at a slightly different frequency that disables most of peoples biological needs.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Aquasnake posted:

I'm not sure why this is surprising, TV dudes don't poop. When is the last time you've seen any building designed with a bathroom. Do you have any idea where the bathroom is in the Star Labs building? It's pretty big, and you may note that in real life basically any building that isn't a residence has signs or other design features to draw attention to them. It's just a law of the TV universes, most shows exist in a universe that is vibrating at a slightly different frequency that disables most of peoples biological needs.

That's not true, it just replaces those biological needs with endless melodrama. The end result is still poo poo.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Knormal posted:

Yeah, they should at least give them a bucket.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aquasnake posted:

I'm not sure why this is surprising, TV dudes don't poop. When is the last time you've seen any building designed with a bathroom. Do you have any idea where the bathroom is in the Star Labs building?

Reverse-Flash converted it into his time chamber.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Reverse-Flash converted it into his time chamber.

He only takes a poo poo in Barry's childhood home. There's no bathroom in STAR Labs because Nora and Henry have a stately master bath in 1999.

He never flushes.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xealot posted:

He only takes a poo poo in Barry's childhood home. There's no bathroom in STAR Labs because Nora and Henry have a stately master bath in 1999.

He never flushes.

His original plan was to go back in time and upper-deck the Allen family toilet; killing Nora Allen instead didn't occur to him until he got there.

Doktor Per
Feb 26, 2007

Look guys, I'm a lady!
So am I alone seeing the weird HR walk in thing, when Savitar or Julian is talking about how he can make people do things? Or when they hinted at that Wally was the one that was important, and that HR is the one that is training Wally who is also faster than Barry, given that Savitar only shows up when a threat to him shows up and that Wally's speed is an essential part of whatever Savitar is doing?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
That was a really great episode, and I'm kind of glad it ended on a good note since inevitably everything is going to go to poo poo somehow when the show returns.

Also, goddamn CW casting. Between Candace Patton and Joe's new girlfriend, I'm wondering how many ugly babies had to be born to keep the world in balance.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ApeHawk posted:

This is false; the only food in that universe is Big Belly Burger.

Are you saying Big Belly Burger doesn't have a vegan option :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Candace Patton's wardrobe this lifetime was fuckin on point.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Doktor Per posted:

So am I alone seeing the weird HR walk in thing, when Savitar or Julian is talking about how he can make people do things? Or when they hinted at that Wally was the one that was important, and that HR is the one that is training Wally who is also faster than Barry, given that Savitar only shows up when a threat to him shows up and that Wally's speed is an essential part of whatever Savitar is doing?

Wally is only noted as being faster than Barry at the same relative time after acquiring powers, fwiw.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Bad Moon posted:

Are you saying Big Belly Burger doesn't have a vegan option :colbert:

Big Belly's vegan option is one all-beef patty instead of two. Also, a backhand slap in the face.

Big Belly don't gently caress around.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Am I the only one who thinks that the cast of this show has been too large and unwieldy for some time now? Seven or eight people stacked into that overused STAR Labs command center all pep-talking at each other in rapid succession just makes...I dunno, it makes the space of this show feel really claustrophobic and burdensome. Not sure how to explain it. It feels like Buffy season 7 where everyone was just stacked into Buffy's living room for episode after episode, and the set wasn't built to accommodate that visually or dynamically.

I don't think we need to pare down the cast or anything, but (just as an example) we really don't need the entire West family locked in with the science gang every time Barry fights a meta. Shouldn't Joe be out there anyway, as a cop?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Axel Serenity posted:

That was a really great episode, and I'm kind of glad it ended on a good note since inevitably everything is going to go to poo poo somehow when the show returns.

Also, goddamn CW casting. Between Candace Patton and Joe's new girlfriend, I'm wondering how many ugly babies had to be born to keep the world in balance.

I didn't like that it ended on a good note, I spent the last 5 minutes or so waiting for the other shoe to drop, it needed something bad to happen storywise in order to set up the return, Arrow handled this really well this week, it had a downer ending and a stinger to boot, so we know exactly what to expect when the show starts back up. Flash really needed someone to die at the end of the episode, or Iris to get kidnapped right after the house announcement. Or at the very least some sort of hint or shot of the person who will betray the party shortly (Re: Arrow, the Artemis reveal a few episodes ago.) Otherwise there's no hook to come back to when the show restarts. They're going to need to open the next episode by creating a problem before anyone can react or deal with it, instead of giving the audience knowledge now and letting it simmer in their minds until the next episode.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

I didn't like that it ended on a good note, I spent the last 5 minutes or so waiting for the other shoe to drop, it needed something bad to happen storywise in order to set up the return, Arrow handled this really well this week, it had a downer ending and a stinger to boot, so we know exactly what to expect when the show starts back up. Flash really needed someone to die at the end of the episode, or Iris to get kidnapped right after the house announcement. Or at the very least some sort of hint or shot of the person who will betray the party shortly (Re: Arrow, the Artemis reveal a few episodes ago.) Otherwise there's no hook to come back to when the show restarts. They're going to need to open the next episode by creating a problem before anyone can react or deal with it, instead of giving the audience knowledge now and letting it simmer in their minds until the next episode.

Did you... ummm... did you just not see the entire sequence of Iris dying in the future? Did you miss that?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Spergatory posted:

Did you... ummm... did you just not see the entire sequence of Iris dying in the future? Did you miss that?

No, I definitely saw it. They said it's from 5 months in the future, so that's not relevant until the season finale. I'm talking about this episode, the midseason finale, leading into the midseason premiere. There's still no plot hook. In order for that to be a hook, Savitar needs to come back first, which didn't happen at the end of this episode, which still leaves them with no problems going into the midseason premiere next episode.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Aquasnake posted:

No, I definitely saw it. They said it's from 5 months in the future, so that's not relevant until the season finale. I'm talking about this episode, the midseason finale, leading into the midseason premiere. There's still no plot hook. In order for that to be a hook, Savitar needs to come back first, which didn't happen at the end of this episode, which still leaves them with no problems going into the midseason premiere next episode.

I'd say an 'imminent death countdown' is a pretty loving huge problem, but hey, to each their own.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Spergatory posted:

I'd say an 'imminent death countdown' is a pretty loving huge problem, but hey, to each their own.

'Imminent death countdown' that as of the end of this episode appears to be completely negated from the audience and character's perspectives. (Until Savitar shows up again in the second half.) I'm just saying that I thought it was weird that Flash didn't have a last scene of episode drama stinger for the midseason finale when Arrow, and Legends of Tommorow did (And Supergirl last week, but that was for the Crossover.)

But if it's just going to be the two of us going back and forth, I'm willing to drop this unless others want to chime in one way or the other.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BrianWilly posted:

Am I the only one who thinks that the cast of this show has been too large and unwieldy for some time now? Seven or eight people stacked into that overused STAR Labs command center all pep-talking at each other in rapid succession just makes...I dunno, it makes the space of this show feel really claustrophobic and burdensome. Not sure how to explain it. It feels like Buffy season 7 where everyone was just stacked into Buffy's living room for episode after episode, and the set wasn't built to accommodate that visually or dynamically.

I don't think we need to pare down the cast or anything, but (just as an example) we really don't need the entire West family locked in with the science gang every time Barry fights a meta. Shouldn't Joe be out there anyway, as a cop?

Does Iris have a job anymore?

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does Iris have a job anymore?

I think she's still a reporter, I think the real question is "Does Iris have a Boss anymore?"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aquasnake posted:

I think she's still a reporter, I think the real question is "Does Iris have a Boss anymore?"

Remember when Iris was going out with her boss and he hated the Flash?

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

Knormal posted:

Really I think it would have been a lot better if they said the pods held them in stasis or suspended animation or whatever sci-fi buzzword they wanted to use when they weren't being interacted with. That also lessens the. horrible moral issues of throwing supervillians into indefinite solitary confinement, where they have nothing to do but go insane and build a grudge.

I think so too. It could be said a lot of the metas are simply corrupted by these powers and behaving irrationally. Is it just accepted that there's no cure for being a meta? It would be nice to think they put them in suspended animation while they try to find a way to bring them back to normal. Just a long running project happening off screen they can reference every now and then. The solitary confinement thing is really quite cruel from what is meant to be the good side.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

Remember when Iris was going out with her boss and he hated the Flash?

To be fair, that lasted like five minutes, if even. Season 1/early Season 2 Terrible Iris doesn't exist to me. She's always been mid-Season Two/Season Three Amazing Iris. What are you talking about?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

nine-gear crow posted:

To be fair, that lasted like five minutes, if even. Season 1/early Season 2 Terrible Iris doesn't exist to me. She's always been mid-Season Two/Season Three Amazing Iris. What are you talking about?

I'm pretty sure that was late season two.

The trailer for the back half of season two made this big deal about how Iris's new editor was basically J. Jonah Jameson for the Flash, then that lasts less than an episode and he's sold on the Flash by the end of his first appearance, except for that one date they went on.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They need to go full on Flash's Girlfriend Iris West and have her getting up to all sorts of wacky magical adventures on her own.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

They need to go full on Flash's Girlfriend Iris West and have her getting up to all sorts of wacky magical adventures on her own.

Sort of wish Supergirl was giving Jimmy a weird new power in every episode.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm pretty sure that was late season two.

The trailer for the back half of season two made this big deal about how Iris's new editor was basically J. Jonah Jameson for the Flash, then that lasts less than an episode and he's sold on the Flash by the end of his first appearance, except for that one date they went on.
I thought he got killed by Jay?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

OH that reminds me I'm actually a little disappointed the had Earth-3 Trickster on for like 1 minute of screen time.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

OH that reminds me I'm actually a little disappointed the had Earth-3 Trickster on for like 1 minute of screen time.

I want a whole episode of E3 Trickster vs DadFlash

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Oracle posted:

I thought he got killed by Jay?

I don't think hunk so - Iris's original boss was killed by Thawne I season on either though.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

greatn posted:

Here is what to do. Take Felicity off of Arrow and put her on this show as love interest and Cisco. She won't have the same problems here since Barry doesn't have any secrets to keep from her. Bring over Lance as well, who now gains super speed and thus can't get drunk. Reverse Alchemy Black Siren to make her Laurel, send her back to Arrow. Send Cisco to Arrow to be the new Felicity where he's cool cause Arrow never killed his brother. Cisco I'd Laurels love interest. Send Iris to be Oliver's new love interest. Send Joe to legends of tomorrow so he's not around to be overprotective everything and everyone. They make use of his time intuition. Bring Jax back to Flash to be Caitlin's love interest, make the other half of firestorm Lance. Forget what I said about Lance getting super speed earlier. Professor Stein becomes the Sandman.

Ok, shows fixed.

Been hitting the Grandma's nogs I see...

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

MacheteZombie posted:

I want a whole episode of E3 Trickster vs DadFlash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaLmqKp-IVc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

If those wacky adventures involve Iris punching people the gently caress out like she's been doing lately, then sign me the gently caress up :allears:

• Locked thread