Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Dana Crysalis posted:

ATTENTION GOONS: I have prepared. Yell at me on Discord if you have not got me on your list, this is probably one of the best ways we can get through this poo poo trial.

Wouldn't a ribbon be better than one of those bracers? Trial boss's got a 50% paralyze attack he'll use normally, and a threshold 100% area of effect blind (plus silence) attack that'll likely happen three times unless you really blitz him down.

Otherwise, that's a pretty sweet lightning no doubt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
I am not ready for the next trial

Ive no idea how to beat plant thing

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Are there any ways to restore MP other than Ethers and Bartz's Suicide Skill?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Osmose on Ramuh I think?

E: and Diabolos + assorted characters

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

The man called M posted:

they're all character specific like Lance, convert, etc

there's also traffic cone fina's skill but it only gives 10% mp back.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Did they break the game for anyone else? It won't go past the opening logos without crashing now.

Mrit SA
Nov 11, 2016

by Lowtax

Nuebot posted:

Did they break the game for anyone else? It won't go past the opening logos without crashing now.

It's extended maintenance.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I swear I saw a 660 MAG ExDeath somewhere on my friendslist before going to bed :psyduck: and oh that trial :psyduck:
e: oh Vax :psyduck:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

The man called M posted:

Rosa's LB. Miracle of Baron is actually really up there in terms of usefullness.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Calling it now: When Orlandu comes out he won't actually get a rate up on his banner, or it'll be a smaller rate up than units normally get.

Alternately: Gumi will pull a Brave Frontier and give a guaranteed banner character every 10-20 or so pulls, but Orlandu will still by a 1% drop rate for the bonus character.

This has been confirmed on Orlandus JP banner. He had a realistic chance of 0.0125% on that banner. Delivered after an average of ~550 pulls or something.

MrLonghair posted:

I swear I saw a 660 MAG ExDeath somewhere on my friendslist before going to bed :psyduck: and oh that trial :psyduck:
e: oh Vax :psyduck:

Sup. :getin:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
So uh... Word of advice, don't randomly use Carbuncle if you're looking to heal your team.

Edit: Looking at datamined info, expect a Christmas banner with Saint Nicholas and snow cone Fina. Or reindeers Rain/Lasswell/Charlotte.

HGH fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 8, 2016

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
gently caress that lovely VLC hat character bullshit. I want my xmas sale 50% off Lapis bundles. Make it happen!

But I mean if this 0.0125% 550 pull for Orlandu bullshit turns out to be true you would need to spend 250000 Lapis on average to get him.

Maybe I just stop spending money and try to get him on a Daily pull.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i am just going to spend all of my lapis and tickets trying for a lightning again. orlandu will come on a daily half price pull, or never. spoilers: it will be never. also the same for lightning

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vax posted:

gently caress that lovely VLC hat character bullshit. I want my xmas sale 50% off Lapis bundles. Make it happen!

But I mean if this 0.0125% 550 pull for Orlandu bullshit turns out to be true you would need to spend 250000 Lapis on average to get him.

Maybe I just stop spending money and try to get him on a Daily pull.

When whaling for orlandu is it worth doing 11 pulls or no?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
If you're gonna chase a rainbow then calculations posted here show 11 pulls are better I think, but either way you shouldn't do it.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Maintenance pushed another 4 hours. I don't even know why they bother giving actual time updates. These guys always go long with their maintenance and this time it even seems like they started early.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Conspiracy theory time: Gumi is actually on our side and intentionally self sabotage to give us compensation rewards

The reality though is that they're dumb.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
We'll get a 30 NRG bottle and 200 trochoid gears...

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

With games like this, are there any requirements that keep them from manipulating rates in a way that encourages people to spend money?

For example, rewarding a player the first time they pull with cash. Punishing those that are ftp for long periods of time. Or whatever else could psychologically encourage people to whale out.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Acelerion posted:

With games like this, are there any requirements that keep them from manipulating rates in a way that encourages people to spend money?

For example, rewarding a player the first time they pull with cash. Punishing those that are ftp for long periods of time. Or whatever else could psychologically encourage people to whale out.

Mind games to get people to spend money is the entire point of these games. And it's legal.

In JP there are all sorts of protection against rigging the actual odds.

In fact, early on there was a great idea that in order to make an uber powerful unit, you would need other rare units from the gatcha. That was made outright illegal.

Compensation in American games is a joke. In JP they lavish it in the players anytime there is a mistake.

'Oh, a rare unit didn't have the right odds? Here's ALL the gems you spent on that banner back.'

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Yeah rigging the odds is kind of what I'm wondering about. I accept that a slot machine is a cheep way to manipulate people out of money, but at least it has a fixed payout and is truly random.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Kalas posted:

In fact, early on there was a great idea that in order to make an uber powerful unit, you would need other rare units from the gatcha. That was made outright illegal.

If you're like me and you like to trawl through the app stores playing whatever game has a cool looking icon, a good way to quickly know whether or not a gacha based game will be absolute poo poo is if the requirement to evolve or skill up a unit is that you have to have a duplicate of that same unit. It's not illegal everywhere, so a lot of games still have the insane super rare gacha units that require you to get more of them to make them useful.

Acelerion posted:

Yes, but there's just as many loopholes and tricks to get around them to mess with people. Bandai in particular is really good at loving with their playerbase. I think I've talked about SD Gundam G Generation Frontier before, but the rarer units in that game had sub-1% drop rates. like, by the time I quit I think 0.001% was the going rate for the new "FR" rarity units. They got people to spend insane amounts of cash not only by making those the best units until the next monthly gacha, but by making the tickets you got for spending money different than the ones you got free. The premium tickets increased rarer unit rates by a tiny percentage, and since it was often fan favorite units that became FRs, people would whale non-stop not only to have a cool looking strong unit, but one they recognized and liked. Then by the end of the month it would be worthless and the next one would be mandatory to do the new events.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
Yeah but why bother rigging the odds when you can just have terrible odds for everyone and people still pay you for it. Similarly, why bother with a completion gacha in countries where they aren't against the law when you can just give the chase characters the same horrible odds as you would've had for pulling all the completion characters

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius Global - Thread Maintenance Has Been Extended

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Nuebot posted:

If you're like me and you like to trawl through the app stores playing whatever game has a cool looking icon, a good way to quickly know whether or not a gacha based game will be absolute poo poo is if the requirement to evolve or skill up a unit is that you have to have a duplicate of that same unit. It's not illegal everywhere, so a lot of games still have the insane super rare gacha units that require you to get more of them to make them useful.

Phantom of the Kill is like this. I enjoyed that game for awhile, but I maxed out farmable monsters.
If you want your waifu from the gatcha maxed? God help you.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nuebot posted:

I missed this before but isn't that technically what Trust Mastery was intended as? They only added the "10% chance of .1%" and trust moogles later, as some sort of bullied concession.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Minimum of 10 hours maintenance, OMG!

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!

KataraniSword posted:

Fun fact: In JP there has only ONCE been extended Maintenance in all this time and guess what they got for compensation? 1000 loving Lapis, thats right

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Vax posted:

Fun fact: In JP there has only ONCE been extended Maintenance in all this time and guess what they got for compensation? 1000 loving Lapis, thats right

If Brave Frontier taught me anything, it's that Gumi may be a subsidiary of alim, but alim is by far the more competent company, and they're the ones that handle all the JP-side stuff and 90% of the content.

Anything directly linked to global (be it maintenances, Global Exclusive content, global exclusive characters - hi, Black Cat Lid! - etc) is going to be a goddamn trashfire.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

KataraniSword posted:

I missed this before but isn't that technically what Trust Mastery was intended as? They only added the "10% chance of .1%" and trust moogles later, as some sort of bullied concession.

I don't know about the grind chance coming later in JP, but it was always in global. Trust moogles might've been the result of complaints. The TMRs probably are closer to skirting completion gacha laws in Japan, considering they ban for macroing from what I've heard, so it's either moogles or duplicates for most of their trust gain

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Shark Tower posted:

Wouldn't a ribbon be better than one of those bracers? Trial boss's got a 50% paralyze attack he'll use normally, and a threshold 100% area of effect blind (plus silence) attack that'll likely happen three times unless you really blitz him down.

Otherwise, that's a pretty sweet lightning no doubt.

I figured the damage/HP bonus from the bracer was worth Esuna-ing her every so often. I do HAVE a Ribbon, though, so if that is necessary I can put it on her.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Vax posted:

I see it as just a marketing ploy. Every maintenance, gumi extends by x hours. Everyone bitches and whines about it on forums (always easier to criticize than praise after all), bumping it to the front pages, which then gets it in the eyes of new players. We already know gumi doesn't care one lick about its reputation, so what do they got to lose?

I mean, it's still pretty drat gross and manipulating and I don't know why any of you still give gumi money, but hey.

Dana Crysalis posted:

I figured the damage/HP bonus from the bracer was worth Esuna-ing her every so often. I do HAVE a Ribbon, though, so if that is necessary I can put it on her.

I guess it's hard to say. My general approach to trials tends to favor surviveability over damage racing, which has served me pretty well so far. It's up to you of course.

Shark Tower fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 8, 2016

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Maintenance was extended to 14:00 PST

Hope you like lapis.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Go RV! posted:

Maintenance was extended to 14:00 PST

Hope you like lapis.

Results are datamined already.

A sixteen hour maintenance is the equivalent of 450 lapis and 60 EN.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

Shark Tower posted:

I guess it's hard to say. My general approach to trials tends to favor surviveability over damage racing, which has served me pretty well so far. It's up to you of course.

No, I'm generally the same way about this, and usually have the ribbon on her. But this jerk is a damage race because of the 5-round guaranteed death, so I'd rather waste half of Refia's turn on an Esuna then lose the 30 attack that might be needed. Plus most everyone has CoD or a healer with Esuna by now. I think.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
yay free ticket

Also oh man until 2PM Pacific, what the hell did they break

Shoenin fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Dec 8, 2016

rio
Mar 20, 2008

So with that extremely low rate for Orrandu is it even worth saving tickets for it or should I blow them trying to get a lightning? I don't have a lightning so unless her rates are also abysmally low then I think I should spend my saved tickets on her...although I'm sure I'll just get Bediled either way.

dangerous.hotdog
Feb 29, 2008
I just did some math for someone regarding leveling an Exdeath and thought I'd share (because it's loving depressing):

Exdeath is growth pattern 4 for 3-5* rarity and growth pattern 6 for 6*.

3* 1-40: 194,806 XP

4* 1-60: 548,366 XP

5* 1-80: 1,137,652

6* 1-100: 1,993,672

Total XP: 3,874,496

Total Gigantaurs needed: 130

Total solo Mystic Woods runs needed: 60

Total time needed (assuming 20 min per MW run): 1,200 minutes or 20 hours

Gross.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

rio posted:

So with that extremely low rate for Orrandu is it even worth saving tickets for it or should I blow them trying to get a lightning? I don't have a lightning so unless her rates are also abysmally low then I think I should spend my saved tickets on her...although I'm sure I'll just get Bediled either way.

I don't think the rates for Orlandu are actually anything worse than the usual five star banner rates, they're just god awful generally, because you not only have to pull a five star crystal, you have to roll that character from the entire pool of characters once you have. The banner just makes your chances slightly higher of hitting that character if you do get a 5* is all. So I guess what I'm saying is your luck will be abysmal either way, but Orlandu's the superior character, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

rio posted:

The thing about Orlando Bloom's banner is that you HAVE to get him (or something good off banner) for it to be worth going all in. Assuming we get the same banner, everyone aside from Orlando is straight up garbage with crappy TMs. It's not like lightnings first banner, where going all in and not getting lightning meant you'd still pick up Charlotte and/or a few dualcasts.

That said, this upcoming lightning banner is pretty much the same. Both Hope and Fang are subpar with crappy TMs. Lightning herself, while good, won't compare to Orlando.

Personally, I'd skip both banners, and wait for the next two God tier units, a.k.a. Eileen and Tidus. Their banners at least have pretty good to amazing consolation prizes in the event that you miss getting either of those two.

Shark Tower fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 8, 2016

• Locked thread