Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

LethalGeek posted:

Edit: it's also pretty moot as I'm the hardcore nudist person as referenced earlier, though not for some weird clothing makes me itch thing I'm just really really warm.

I don't think being naked around your own house is "hardcore nudist", being naked is comfortable and if it's your own house it's your own business. I'm certainly topless at home a lot of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah man. Try Land's End super Tees and whatever brand polos you can get without a logo. T shirts aren't super flattering to any body type that isn't jacked as hell anyway, and polos require exactly the same amount of effort as a T shirt except people will tell you how nice you look.

Dude, polos are the worst. Just buy plain, slightly fitted crew neck or v neck t-shirts in, like, black, grey and white to wear in the interim between your graphic t-shirt period and your evolution to wearing big boy shirts.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Dad bod is a real and serious condition that affects millions of Americans each year.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Pick posted:

I don't think being naked around your own house is "hardcore nudist", being naked is comfortable and if it's your own house it's your own business. I'm certainly topless at home a lot of the time.
Yeah gently caress if I'm gonna wear clothes at home. Believe it or not a lot of my posting is done as god made me.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah gently caress if I'm gonna wear clothes at home. Believe it or not a lot of my posting is done as god made me.

...poorly and in bad taste?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
screaming, making GBS threads, covered in blood

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
This is a new one. At first I thought OP was just math-stupid and was amazed by someone's basic algebra skills but it gets better. Bolded some interesting parts.

A little sad because it looks like a bright young person was brow-beat by their mother, but it's sort of a white-trash sounding Good Will Hunting.

I (20M) Think My Girlfriend (21F) of 4yrs Is Secretly a Math Genius, This is Fine and Dandy, But She Thinks She's Stupid and is Resigned to Working at Walmart For the Rest of Her Life Because, and I Quote, "Shut Up Steven, No One Pays You To Just Do Math For Fun."

quote:

Throwaway because girlfriend reddits and I'm going to have to talk badly about her mother here.

This semester I accidentally took a math class I didn't need to take. I realized this too late to drop it with or without a 'W', so I decided to valiantly soldier on. I worked hard, and with the lecture notes and my textbook I managed to eek out a highish F, low D for most of the course.
Moving on to last week, when I was taking the final for this awful class and I knew within the first sentence of the first problem that I wouldn't be able to complete it at all. All of the quizzes were short and based on problems from the book with the numbers altered slightly, but the final exam was twelve complicated word problems asking for complex, multi-step solutions, and scans/photos of all work shown.

My girlfriend April was sitting beside me when I loudly realized this, and she looked over and said, "No Stephen you know this, we learned that in high school."

April and I met in high school, and we ended up in some of the same classes there, all the way up to Algebra II, because that's where I stopped and where April flunked out. So I definitely know that we did not learn this in high school, and I said so.

And she said, "No, remember that bitch [Teacher's Name] who was always throwing me out for existing? She covered all that."
I should mention here that April has mellowed a lot since high school- she used to be super disruptive, always talking too loud, laughing and being ostentatious about using her phone in class- I love her now and then, but she definitely deserved all the detentions she racked up in that class. My point is, April didn't pay attention at all, ever, and the teacher usually sent her out and to the office anyway, so I know she can't have learned much of anything.

But she insisted that I had to know this, because she remembers, and she wasn't even there half the time. I said if she remembered the material so well then she could knock herself out with it because even if she got a perfect score I would still fail the class and need to retake it. April took my laptop and gave it a go.

I checked this morning. Guys. April got a perfect score. It was a timed test that about a quarter of the time had run out of, on a subject she never seriously studied that she hasn't touched in years. Her ridiculously good test bumped my grade up to a 69.25 (doesn't count as a pass, but much better than the 39.25 I had before).

I told April about her perfect score and she just shrugged and said so what. I was like what do you mean so what, that should be impossible!
She said it obviously wasn't, because she did it and it wasn't like it was hard to do.
I said maybe she should go back to school now, if this sort of thing is easy to her.

She said she'd just fail out, like she did the last two times we tried that.
Which is true, but drat it, I feel like she can't keep being a greeter at Walmart if she can do this kind of thing with numbers. Before, she kept getting distracted, she was so disorganized that she wouldn't even write her assignments down, she'd spend hours staring at a blinking cursor and then forget to turn in the essays she did manage to write. It's like she was sabotaging herself unconsciously on purpose because she doesn't think she's at all intelligent. She always got very down and dejected whenever she failed something or had to drop a class, so I never wanted to push her before she was ready but I feel like I really need to do something now.

I know that she's smart. When our car broke down last year and we didn't have any cash to fix it she spent a week on youtube, poked a few bored mechanics here on reddit, took half the engine apart, manipulated some poor sucker on Craig's list into giving her an equivalent engine for parts in exchange for my mom's old deep freezer instead of for cash, put everything back together and now our Festiva runs smoothly without any weird ominous clicking.
But what can I say? "Hey April I know it didn't work out before but you need to go back to school and actually try this time?"

Something like that slipped out and she just looked at me and said I sounded like her mother.
That's where I stopped before I could do more harm than good and came here for advice.

See, April's relationship with her mother is... complicated. It's not like she's abusive or anything, they're just both better off without each other-- I don't know how else to put it. April's mother compares her to her older brother constantly, April why can't you do this like John, John never did that April what's wrong with you, this was so much easier when John did it. Her parents decided to use the money they'd saved for April's college on John's because as her mother put it, 'It's not like you're ever going to go there.' Whenever they're in the same room she comments on April's clothes, on the way she stands, on her skin, she just pick pick picks at her until she either blows up or breaks down into tears, and then it's all why are you so emotional April, why do you have to be like this, your brother is so much more logical April.

God, I hate that woman. But April loves her, who knows why when she's so quietly terrible. I try to combat this by pointing out all the awful things she says and how they're wrong and disrespectful and untrue and mean just to be mean. April used to say that was just the way she is but she's coming around. It's slow work; like trying to unstick velcro quietly-- but I'm making progress-- we're not going anywhere near that house for Christmas this year.
Anyway. That was a long introduction, sorry. I can outline the actual problem now:

Tl,dr: My girlfriend April is a smart person who was raised to believe in her heart of hearts that she is stupid and not ever good enough. I strongly suspect no one ever taught her how to study or plan out her time or to believe in herself. I love her, and I know that she can do better with her life than eight hours of, "Hello, Welcome to WalMart." every day. I was frozen earlier, but I know that there are so many degrees and careers where April's instinctual grasp of advanced mathematical concepts would be valued and well compensated. I need help talking her into trying again without putting my foot in my mouth.

I mean word-problem only for a quiz means it's probably some remedial class, but fixing your own engine on a Fiesta is pretty impressive.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

At the very least she could become a mechanic, that's a better job than greeter.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
poor girl needs some self-confidence and probably some therapy.

getting fashion advice from SA is a terrible idea, fyi

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
my girlfriend [24f] is Rain Man

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

college? gently caress that, go to vegas

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Pick posted:

I more meant the part that most of the time when people are here I'm still naked, with exceptions for some of the obvious stuff like "not in front of the GF's elderly mother."

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
It's a pretty :allears: story, especially because I read it with a tone like he's super excited and amazed at the discovery his girlfriend may be some undiscovered supergenius.

He should probably also figure out whether his name is spelled Steven or Stephen.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

well why not posted:

At the very least she could become a mechanic, that's a better job than greeter.

Even if she doesn't think she can be a mechanic, buy broken Festiva's and replace their engines. Still a better job.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lockback posted:

This is a new one. At first I thought OP was just math-stupid and was amazed by someone's basic algebra skills but it gets better. Bolded some interesting parts.

A little sad because it looks like a bright young person was brow-beat by their mother, but it's sort of a white-trash sounding Good Will Hunting.

I (20M) Think My Girlfriend (21F) of 4yrs Is Secretly a Math Genius, This is Fine and Dandy, But She Thinks She's Stupid and is Resigned to Working at Walmart For the Rest of Her Life Because, and I Quote, "Shut Up Steven, No One Pays You To Just Do Math For Fun."

I mean word-problem only for a quiz means it's probably some remedial class, but fixing your own engine on a Fiesta is pretty impressive.

The first thing this woman needs to do to get her life back on track is to dump her severely retarded boyfriend. If you "work hard" at a remedial college algebra class and still can't do better than 39% there's a pretty good chance you're a total moron. Also saying you were getting a high F/low D for most of the course and then end up at 39% before the final is lol.

I also don't think remembering high school math four years later quite makes you Stephen Hawking.

Fixing the engine is pretty impressive, but not because it necessarily shows intelligence. More because I think very few people would have it in their nature to even try.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lockback posted:

buy broken Festiva's and replace their engines. Still a better job.

I don't think the junkyard gives you extra for them just because the engine will run.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Sounds like she could be a mechanic though, or maybe an electrician or something, and that's a huge step up from Walmart poo poo.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah I'd say she's definitely not stupid and should be able to do massively better than walmart greeter.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Female mechanics are such an incredibly rare sight too. I work in an industry that involves constant contact with both small repair shops and auto dealerships and you never see them. Out of the dozens of locations I've personally set foot on and hundreds (thousands?) of mechanics that I've seen I've only ever come across one woman (who was an actual mechanic working on the cars).

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

did I hit a fat nerve?

No because I follow my own advice and go to the gym

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lockback posted:

fake story, wal-mart doesn't hire young people as greeters but that's about the most pahtos inducing bottom tier job i can think of. also this guy writes real decent for a dude who accidentally signed up for a remedial math class he nearly failed in community college

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 8, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

boner confessor posted:

fake story, wal-mart doesn't hire young people as greeters

So you've gone to every Wal-mart in America and checked?

What is this obsession with calling stories fake? Literally any story can be accused to be fake.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
It's not like her mom is abusive, she just abuses her all the time.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
r/childfree reminds me of this guy I worked with at a university. I was sitting at a table with him and another person, and there was som elive piano music being played. They started playing some music from a ghibli film my husband and I love so I decided to take out my phone and record it
Him: Oh, don't record me, I don't want to be in a video -covers face-
Me: *quietly, because I'm trying to record th epiano* you aren't in the frame, just the piano
Him: I don't want to be in the video
Me: You aren't in the video
Him: -loudly- I'd really feel more comfortable if you stopped recording

Like mother of christ, act like a human being.

anyway, r/childfree

quote:

My friends with children invited me for dinner. I left the house all stressed and inoculated with the flu virus.
I am friends with a couple who invited me and some other friends to have dinner (sushi) with them at their home. They have two children, a girl of 6 and a boy of 4. The girl behaves fine, but the boy is a monster: he is unable to behave whenever there are visitors, he keeps running, yelling and interrupting, and the parents do not do much to control him. Oh, and the kid was sick with the flu, so he was coughing, sneezing, picking his nose all the time, basically spreading his germs everywhere.
We were at the dinner table, and the boy yelled that he wanted to sit next to me. I did not have much choice, since I couldn't come up with a verbal request to avoid having to sit next to the kid that wouldn't sound rude. So I sat down, tried to eat, but the kid kept making a mess. His food and his napkin kept falling to the floor, and he would continuously invade my personal space to tell me useless stories. I tried to politely ask him to go back to his sit, but it would only work for a few minutes. I was not able to speak during the whole dinner, because the kid would interrupt me, loudly, every time.
At some point, he was eating his edemame beans, and suddenly sneezed. I saw the beans that were in his mouth fly all over the table. Everyone saw it, everyone was completely disgusted. The parents kind of scolded him for a moment, but that was it. The kid behave for a couple of minutes only, then went back again to being annoying.
I was almost done with my food, couldn't wait to say thanks and leave. When I placed the last piece of sushi on my mouth and started chewing, I noticed that there was an edemame bean on my plate. I did not eat any edemame beans that night. So, as disgusted as I was, and ready to kill someone, I grabbed the bean, lifted it for everyone to see it, and loudly said: "HEY KID, THIS IS YOUR BEAN", and put it back in his plate. The parents were clearly mortified, they knew it came from the kid's mouth.
We finished dinner, the parents insisted we all stayed for one more beer, I reluctantly accepted. I had to drink it quickly, since there was no conversation at the table because the kid kept yelling and interrupting. Fortunately, I was able to leave after that beer: The good thing about visiting these friends with kids is that they all go to bed early, so they basically told us the reunion was over.
Fast forward three days, I have all the symptoms of the flu, and I feel like I am dying while I write this. The kid managed to spread his germs after sneezing his beans. I was not the only one: I called one of my other friends that went to dinner that night, and she also has the flu.
I hate kids.
Maybe they were mortified by how dramatic you were

quote:

Just got mommy-jacked by my sister on facebook when she took a photo I posted and said, "Me as a parent."
I'm currently in grad school and I posted this picture because this semester has been rough http://imgur.com/a/vPejt
Cue my sister liking the picture and sharing it saying, "Change it for parents: me at the beginning of the day.. me at the end!"
Oh ffs, stop one-upping!

This directly relates to what someone here said about these people just not being capable of handling when a conversation isn't all about them

quote:

Expecting your children to take care of you when you grow old is SLAVERY.
I just found this subreddit the other day and I am so glad because I really really want to vent about what I think is one of the biggest fallacies of parenting. So many people I have talked to, especially divorcees, say that they got married and had kids because they were scared that no one was going to take care of them when they grow old.
I can't tell you how angry this makes me. Not just because its a false way of thinking but because in my opinion this line of thought is actually capable of ruining lives.
First of all, parents consider this: no kids = more money for yourself = more investment opportunities = being much much richer during your golden years = being able to afford any professional nursing care you may require.
But the people I am REALLY angry on the behalf of is the kids. First consider that by the time your parents retire, most people (not smart people who know how to control their reproductive habits, but most people) are going to be stretched thin taking care of kids of their own because "that's what life is all about."
NO.
I am here to declare today to anyone who will listen: ASKING YOUR CHILDREN TO TAKE CARE OF YOU WHEN YOU ARE OLD IS ENSLAVEMENT.
Consider this scenario: Person A graduates from college at 22, gets married to Person B at 24 and they have a child by 25. In exchange for 18 years of taking care of Child C up til they graduate high school as mandated by law. What happens after that varies for most families. But the basic rule is: take care of your kid til 18 and then your "investment" is supposed to yield returns.
Assuming that both parents live to the ripe old age of 85, that is 42 YEARS whereby they expect to see an ROI on their "investment" they made at 25. Their current age is 43. Child C is 18. So that means, in exchange for "the gift of giving you life", 18 year old Child C is now obligated to take care of them for 42 years until the child is now 60!
SIXTY.
The parents only had an obligation until they were 43. In exchange for food shelter education toys etc. until the age of 18, their child is now stuck with the obligation of taking care of them til he is 60!
Does nobody else see the absolute monstrosity of the family unit reasoning? That's not even counting grandparents who may still survive which the child will undoubtedly be expected to contributed towards taking care of too, especially if the child's own parents retire BEFORE the grandparent passes (as is the case with my dear own cousins).
And no one sees a problem with this arrangement except for me. It's sick.

Lol, just lol at this

flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I'm so bolding the best part of this r/childfree gem:

OP doesn't even know if this person is homeless or not

E: Another because I felt like a good laugh

Yeah having a newborn is definitely up there on 'most relaxing activities'.

I see a lot of people on my facebook that think that expanding paternal and maternal leave will cause people to continuously have kids to avoid working. It's mostly old people who I'm assuming have forgotten what its like to actually have young children because holy poo poo I have two kids and who the gently caress would do that?

loquacius posted:

Yeah uh if your position is "I'm only paying $300 in rent to live in a house but I should be living rent-free" I'm sorry but I don't have very much sympathy for you

I make more money than my wife and she still paid part of our rent up until we merged our bank accounts at which point it didn't matter. If you live in a place, you should be paying for it in some fashion, and it doesn't really matter whether the money goes to a landlord or a bank. This seems pretty straightforward to me :shrug:

Doesn't it seem weird at all? I've had a couple girlfriends live with me and a couple roommates. With the girlfriends, it was always a trust based financial partnership. With the roommates, they paid me their bills. It seems weird to mix the two. Maybe that's just me but it worked fine. I lived with my girlfriends but I rent to my roommates. As long as I was in a romantic relationship with someone, it was, very informally, their place as well. It seems like the girl feels like that's not the situation at all and I can imagine feeling weird about it.

Also, even if I live there, I would feel weird paying someones entire house payment if it was their house. It doesn't really matter since your money is going towards something no matter what but I would still feel weird covering the cost of a house that I have no claim to.

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 8, 2016

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

boner confessor posted:

fake story, wal-mart doesn't hire young people as greeters
yes they do, fucko

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Excuse me sir I have a degree in walmarcology(that's walmart science you ninnies) and I know of that which I speak.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
wal mart doesn't even hire enough people to clean the floors or stock the shelves. that's why they hire old as hell people whose only job is to say hello or racially profile shoplifters

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I [25 M] have a serious problem with my [25F] GF of a few years and her unusual bathroom habits.

quote:

Welp. To start I want to post that this is a little bit disgusting so heres your warning.

Me and my current GF have been dating for a few years now. We've been friends for a long time way before that. During our relationship she's confessed to me several times (and once I walked in and saw) that sometimes when she's constipated she fingers her rear end in a top hat to literally pull the poo poo out.

Let me put it in better terms. She puts vaseline on her fingers. Sticks part of her hand into her rear end in a top hat and pulls her poo poo out. Sometimes she even uses objects to jar some of it loose. I don't think this is normal in anyway shape or form. I really wish she would just eat more fiber or something.

Does anyone have an advice on what I can do to help her understand that this isn't normal? She thinks its totally A-OK to do.

Or am I the jerk for not being understanding? I'm just super grossed out at this point.

tl;dr: My GF fingers the poo poo out of her rear end when she's constipated and it freaks me out.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I just saw that one.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

I feel like I read a very similar story from a GBS thread where someone's wife or girlfriend did this, too. Maybe it's more common then one would expect?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah I just saw that one.

Do they not have Taco Bell or PBR where they live

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I know we're quick to say "That's just a fetish" around here but that kind of sounds like a scat/anal fetish to me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

boner confessor posted:

fake story, wal-mart doesn't hire young people as greeters but that's about the most pahtos inducing bottom tier job i can think of. also this guy writes real decent for a dude who accidentally signed up for a remedial math class he nearly failed in community college

I dunno if its fake and the WalMart greeter thing was covered, but I know a ton of smart people who write really well who are total poo poo at Math. In fact I'd guess there was an inverse relationship. Sounds like he was taking either a Algebra or some sort of Applied Math course that could be really hard for a humanities major but chickenshit for someone who has even a little math mind.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's fairly common among people with eating disorders because the poop gets extremely dehydrated and hard, and palpitation does become necessary.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lockback posted:

I dunno if its fake and the WalMart greeter thing was covered, but I know a ton of smart people who write really well who are total poo poo at Math. In fact I'd guess there was an inverse relationship. Sounds like he was taking either a Algebra or some sort of Applied Math course that could be really hard for a humanities major but chickenshit for someone who has even a little math mind.

i hate this idea that there's a "math mind". oh sorry i dont have a "reading mind", books and me don't get along haha. like words, who understands those except for turbospergs who can't get laid am i right

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I feel like I read a very similar story from a GBS thread where someone's wife or girlfriend did this, too. Maybe it's more common then one would expect?

why do you think women get long fake nails

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Math education in our country is pretty dismal and turns a lot of people off from math. There's a whole world of beauty and elegance and creativity involved in "doing math" the way a college math department does. Instead we have kids do long division and memorize the quadratic formula, which inspires approximately no one.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I [25 M] have a serious problem with my [25F] GF of a few years and her unusual bathroom habits.

Wonder how far she gets her hand in there.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Lol, just lol at this

raised by rear end in a top hat narcissists isn't much better than being "enslaved" by a parent. lol at "I legally have to raise and school you for 18 years."

Bonzo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

boner confessor posted:

why do you think women get long fake nails
so they can do that raptor-claw-tapping thing from Jurassic Park :ohdear: