Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
How many posts does it take to get to a new page on here anyway?

Oh, hey, an update! :)

I find Han more useful than our LPer, maybe because it's relatively easy for me to get 7-Flush and Airship Bombing in the slot game most of the time.

Why not have a Tiger Esper in the flashback that tells Maduin "Man is FORBIDDEN!!!"? Then he could be the one sacrificed to make Olivia, explaining a lot of her stubbornness and rage issues. Perhaps I've been watching too much Jungle Book.

I always thought Gestahl was a dog too.

GHK: Awww....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Leavemywife posted:

while Nathan does a Yapping Eevee impression and throws boomerangs
:rolleyes: Same ol' Leave.

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Emperor Gestahl is not a rabbit. He's obviously a floppy eared dog. :colbert:

In fact so many people think so that they made him a pet you can find in FF14.

:3: That's adorable!

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
"Terra, you have no questions about the new party member? None whatsoever?"

When someone offers you an airship, you don't ask questions. You just say :getin:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I like the story but I wish the esper world was depicted as a bit more fantastical, rather than just another place like any other in the human world. Maybe that's the point though, that man and esper are not so different really?

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
My younger brother watched me play this game and during this section he asked me what was going on so I thought I'd be the cool older sister and tell him what sex is.

He said ew and ran off and tattled on me. My mom was so furious that I dared to educate my brother on sex and the existence of sex that she took my games away for a month.

I just read young adult novels the whole time which had way more explicit sex than this video game. During this month, Mercedes Lackey taught me that homosexuality existed.

Okay that's my FF6 story, bye.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Leavemywife posted:

In this translation, her name was changed.

It was originally Madonna in Woolsey's translation; Terra's original name was Tina, as that sounds exotic in Japan, but is fairly common here in the States. I guess Madonna was changed for the same reason, or maybe the Woolster was just a big fan of the Queen of Pop.
:catholic:Madonna is also one of the Virgin Mary's traditional titles, which is pretty appropriate for Terra's mother.

On the other hand,this was the era when they were taking crosses out of games, so :shrug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Marmaduke! posted:

I like the story but I wish the esper world was depicted as a bit more fantastical, rather than just another place like any other in the human world. Maybe that's the point though, that man and esper are not so different really?

I thought it was a bit weird that they all lived in furnished caves.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

They were the original Returners.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

GunnerJ posted:

Do you not?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Really, you gotta wonder how any Espers stayed in there for so long without going stir-crazy and stepping outside, considering how tiny their world apparently is.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Man, when I was a kid, I read a lot of the sprites way wrong. Like I thought the rats had big red eyes. Ifrit looked like some weird alien. And the "lady fell down" sprite as a girl with suddenly red hair and a weird blanket on her.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...

achtungnight posted:

I find Han more useful than our LPer, maybe because it's relatively easy for me to get 7-Flush and Airship Bombing in the slot game most of the time.

It can't be a glitch because it's present on both my SNES cartridge and on my Final Fantasy Anthology disc - but if you get the first diamond for 7-Flush, it doesn't matter where you stop the second and third slots; they will always show diamonds.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

hexedangel posted:

It can't be a glitch because it's present on both my SNES cartridge and on my Final Fantasy Anthology disc - but if you get the first diamond for 7-Flush, it doesn't matter where you stop the second and third slots; they will always show diamonds.

Slots are rigged; this is not a glitch.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I was never able to make out what the hell that Girl Falling Down sprite was supposed to be. The way Gestahl punches Madon...Madeline led me to believe he'd broken her neck.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

I was never able to make out what the hell that Girl Falling Down sprite was supposed to be. The way Gestahl punches Madon...Madeline led me to believe he'd broken her neck.

That was probably the intended reading of the scene, yes.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Psssh. Gestahl is clearly actually a highly-trained monk, despite his initial appearances. :colbert:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Regalingualius posted:

Psssh. Gestahl is clearly actually a highly-trained monk, despite his initial appearances. :colbert:

So that's what happened to Hong Kong Phooey after that show went off the air...

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I interpreted Pokey's nose on his Earthbound sprite as his eyes for so long that I still have a hard time envisioning it as his nose.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Gestahl was still wrinkly and white-haired decades ago. Has he got some kind of youth serum going on?

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Glazius posted:

Gestahl was still wrinkly and white-haired decades ago. Has he got some kind of youth serum going on?

To be fair Sabin was still a buff bear before he ran away from Figaro in those flashbacks.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
A Monk tried to introduce himself to my fiancée yesterday; I'm glad that she basically blanked him and kept walking away, who knows what brutal moves he'd have pulled on her otherwise.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember a long time ago reading a theory that Sabin was gay solely based on the fact that he's the only male character in the game (besides an upcoming one) who doesn't exhibit an interest in any of the women. Completely overlooking the fact that celibate martial artists are a real thing.

Not that I'd complain. He's welcome to the team anytime

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember a long time ago reading a theory that Sabin was gay solely based on the fact that he's the only male character in the game (besides an upcoming one) who doesn't exhibit an interest in any of the women. Completely overlooking the fact that celibate martial artists are a real thing.

Not that I'd complain. He's welcome to the team anytime

Sounds like there's also some kinda bodybuilder stereotype going on there.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

GunnerJ posted:

Sounds like there's also some kinda bodybuilder stereotype going on there.

One of the more prominent gay stereotypes in Japan is that of 'bara', or bears. Leave embodies that stereotype fairly well. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Aerdan posted:

One of the more prominent gay stereotypes in Japan is that of 'bara', or bears. Leave embodies that stereotype fairly well. :v:

"Bara" is actually Japanese for "rose."

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
Roses are Mother Nature's bears.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So Seal's Kiss by a Rose has a lot more subtext than I imagined.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Thirty Two: A Slam-Dancin' Update

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Final Fantasy VI, we discovered Terra is half-esper, and that the plot hinged on Madeline being a furry. Keeshhound pointed it out, by the way. Anywho, today, we're going to do a little bit of plot stuff, then we're going to recruit a new character, so let's roll.

But first, we have an airship to explore.

This guy plays a pretty interesting role on the ship.

He has the ability to remove equipment from people who are either not currently in the party, or from everyone at once. I'm not sure how it works, but I'm assuming he's drafted the Underpants Gnomes for help.

There's a fair bit of space up here, as well as some gambling tables, befitting the wandering gambler.

Inactive party members hang out here, too.

They each have a little bit to say before prompting you to switch characters.

Since she hasn't been around for a while, I swap Terra into the party.

And, what the hey, here's what Han says when he's inactive.

At the end of this update, I'll hold a vote for a new party. I'm sure some people would like to see some fresh faces around, and that might help with my problem of stomping everything in my path into the dirt.

Just south of us is a door leading outside of the airship, but since we're currently flying, it's a terrible idea to open it.

This guy functions as an item shop.

It's handy if you need to stock up real quick-like, but don't want to find the nearest city.

While this fella is a free healing spot.

I'm not sure what's in the refreshments, but I can only assume they make you trip balls.

Let's get back to Narshe; a lot of new things have happened, and I'm sure Banon wants to see us. Plus, maybe they've quit pussy-footing around about helping out the Returners.

I can hear you humming Highway to the Dangerzone.

It's okay. You don't have to stop.

Okay, now you have to. We're landing.

...Are you back to being dicks? I'll gently caress you guys up again, if need be.

Oh, good. I'm used to hostility from this place.

Man, ya'll ain't never gonna believe what poo poo went down over there.

Alright, we'll start hooking them up with magic rocks and we'll show the Empire a thing or two!

While Banon looks sad here, like he's being told his puppy was disemboweled in Vector, he just nods rapidly while they silently explain what all went down.

Wait, how? Figaro is still over by Kohlingen, so unless the castle has been popping back and forth, you guys haven't been talking about poo poo.

There's also that issue. I'm pretty sure the southern continent and Figaro are about the only places to tap for troops.

...Banon, are you high?

Yeah, since espers love humans so much.

Why, exactly, would they want to help us? Sure, they might want revenge against the Empire, but there's also an equal chance they want approximately jack and poo poo to do with us.

Okay, it's just assumed that they'll be totes down to come and help out.

And if they decide to kill the poo poo out of us instead? I mean, I really think we should have a better plan than, "Well, this oughta work!"

I tried that once; it's why my daughter is missing two toes and will forever look at me with contempt.

Alright, here's the plan; we'll open the gate, but have a fancy cheese and wine event directly outside. And I mean with the good cheese, the kind where you're willing to slap someone because they didn't tell you how good the cheese was.

Once again, Banon, you're putting a ton of pressure on Terra. She just found out she's half-furry, now you want her to exploit that?

'course, this is a fair point.

And that's that! We'll...Uh, go to the sealed gate and have Terra knock.

Keep in mind, he wants to put an end to this war by making sure every last Imperial pigdog is a bleeding mess, spread across a couple of city blocks.

Until Banon showed up, you guys were doing okay with remaining neutral.

Hrm. We should send an advance scout.

...Man, how do you work this Photochop thing?

Anyways, we'll do that later.

The shops have updated here in Narshe, so I'm going to hit the weapon and armor shops.

Nathan gets a couple of new weapons, but that's about it. I wonder who the Poison Rod is for.

A couple more long-range weapons, allowing Nathan to keep his niche.

And into the armor shop we go!

The magic boost on these is lower than that of the Magus Hat, but it offers slightly better defenses. I keep the rear end kicking power.

But I buy a couple of these, for Nathan and Leave.

I like the numbers going up.

If physical attacks were more useful, then Leave and Jack would rarely have to do more than smack the poo poo out of whatever is in the way.

I also bought some Gold Shields, and gave those to Terra and Remain.

Anyways, we want to go into this house.

Not only because there's a bunch of treasure in it.

Lone Wolf, the pickpocket!

Get back here! How did you even get out of Final Fantasy V?

Give it back, you furry bum!

He runs out, but we loot the rest of the chests, which nets us a Hyper Wrist, a Thief's Bracer, a Thief's Knife, a Reflect Ring, another Earring, and 5,000 gil.

We're on the hunt!

Meanwhile, a pair of twins engage in a staring contest the likes of which has never been seen before!

You'd have gotten away if you didn't keep stopping!

He's gone into the mines!

I keep ending sentences with an exclamation point!

We couldn't get through here before, since Magitek Armor is bulky and poo poo.

It's pretty much the same as before, but going different directions.

Hell, the enemies aren't even any different. Or if they are, I didn't meet the new ones.

We're actually heading up to where we fought Kefka and the troops he brought along.

Why Lone Wolf would come all the way up here, I don't know, but whatever.

Oy, furry!

Well, this is unexpected.

Now, we can turn and run here, but the correct answer is to just hang out for a little bit.

For then the Moogle will make his move!

I'm not sure what happened here, but they explode away from each other.

Hmm. The Gold Hairpin will halve MP usage, but the Moogle is one of those that helped rescue Terra. Plus, we can get another Hairpin later.

Also, esper just hangin' out. I'm surprised they don't want to try and do something with this guy in regards to fighting the Empire.

Anyways, we're not massive dicks, so we rescue the Moogle.

I thought you guys were all Hodor about speech!

...Hmm, the SNES description was far better.

SNES Translation posted:

Human-loving, fast-talking, street-smart, SLAM-dancing Moogle . . .

Anywho, he and his Moogle pals helped Terra at the beginning of the game, and now he's going to join up with us again. However, as per usual, he needs a new name! BOLD a vote for what we're going to name him!

In the SNES version, he was a little looser with his speech; for instance, he referred to Ramuh as an "old psycho".

Mog is the poo poo.

Little bastard knows it, too.

...Huh? Hell, I forgot about you, Lone Wolf.

Yup, Lone Wolf just took a nosedive off a cliff. Bid farewell to the only werewolf in Final Fantasy VI.

No, I didn't omit any dialog. They just watch him fall, then Mog goes to wait in the airship.

Which is where we're heading back to, as well.

Now, before we leave this update, do me a favor, and BOLD some votes for a new party. We can keep our current members, if you'd like, or we can swap people around. I'll give you guys a few days before I tally the votes, so go hog wild, and don't forget to vote for a new name for Mog!

New Espers

I didn't point these guys out in the last couple of updates, so before I forget completely, let's check out our new espers.

Unicorn teaches the second level healing spell, as well as Esuna, which will heal most status effects. He also teaches some utility spells; Protect and Shell decrease damage from physical and magical attacks respectively, while Dispel will remove beneficial buffs from enemies.

Terra's dad teaches the second level elemental spells, at a fairly good clip, too.

Catoblepas teaches more black magic, but of the status effect variety; Bio can inflict Poison, while Break can petrify enemies, instantly killing them, and Death does just what it sounds like it does.

Bismarck teaches the basic spells at a hell of a rate, as well as the revival spell.

Carbuncle is all support, as he tends to be.

Last, but not least, Phantom teaches utility spells; Berserk makes a target use nothing but physicals, while Vanish makes a party member invisible, which means physical attacks can't touch them, but magic can damage them and break their invisibility. Meanwhile, Gravity reduces a target's current HP by half, so you can't kill anything with it, but if it works, it'll drop their health like a rock.

Leave fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 11, 2017

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Terra, Nathan, Mog and Jack
And name Mog Kupo

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Gonna go with B Boy for the slam dancing Moogle.

For the party, I'll go with Terra, B Boy, Leave, and Mowgli. Gotta stick with the train slammer.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Bruceski posted:

And name Mog Kupo

Dammit, you beat me to it :downs:

Voting for Kupo.

For the party, take Terra, The Brothers Awesome, and Mog so he can catch up ability wise

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Why not Mogwai?

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Ummm.... gently caress it, I never had a good name thought for Mog, so lets just be arbitrary and name him Umio. I'll be impressed if more than two people in this thread get the reference.

Nathan, Terra, Jack, Mowgli. And go do some Veldt before the next update if Mowgli's in.

EDIT: Name vote changed in a later post. Party vote remains.

SMaster777 fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 11, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Nominating Rabbi for our little bundle of fur because he influenced so many usernames for a younger me and it's time I returned the favor

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Hmm... A dancer that's got a few brothers?

Gibb.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

SMaster777 posted:

Ummm.... gently caress it, I never had a good name thought for Mog, so lets just be arbitrary and name him Umio. I'll be impressed if more than two people in this thread get the reference.

I think I'm ne of them. The fishguy from Neptunia VII, right? Sorry, but Mog is not an Umio.

I'm liking B Boy for Mog's name.

The new team, Terra, B Boy/Mog, Remain, and Jack. I'm feeling kind of sorry for Jack right now.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I just want Mowgli in.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
A rebel who communicates through dancing, you say? Sounds like Patrick to me.

As for the party, bring Jack, Olivia Mowgli, Nathan and Leave.

Mikl fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 8, 2016

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Mikl posted:

Olivia.

That might be hard right now :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

mauman posted:

That might be hard right now :downs:

Nevermind, you didn't see nothing! :saddowns:

• Locked thread