Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

If you like Rocky, watch Creed. I wasn't too excited about it because I was expecting a side story, but Rocky (the character) is all over this film and could almost be called the main character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I think you're really doing a disservice to say that Donny almost isn't the main character.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just watched Creed on Prime. Holy poo poo, that movie is amazing. It easily could have ended being schmatzly, a needless cash-in, or just plain bad but it was definitely something that made reviving the series after nearly a decade something worthwhile.
I was ecstatic when I saw this movie was up on prime today. Everybody go watch it immediately.

And if you haven't gotten around to seeing Son of a Gun, you should probably see it pretty soon as well. It's a great movie.. And has The Devil's Rejects been on prime for a while? I only just noticed it and :3: Sid Haig. Hell or High Water is also up, it's depressing as gently caress in Trump's America but a good movie and I liked the ending. Travolta's I am Wrath is pretty terribad to the point it's watchable, it reminds me of Taken, or that Nick Cage movie where he's supposedly a retired hitman for the russian mob.

Also Free State of Jones is pretty good, but I've got a soft spot (or a hard-on, not sure really) for McConaughey.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 8, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Hell or High Water is also up, it's depressing as gently caress in Trump's America but a good movie and I liked the ending.

drat, already? Seems like it was just in theaters a few months ago.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Enos Cabell posted:

drat, already? Seems like it was just in theaters a few months ago.
Yeah I was skimming through the prime movies today and a TON of spankin'-new movies are up right now. I also noticed a few uncommon gems such as Son of Rambow which are coming down on the 30th. (Son of Rambow is shockingly good and really beautiful)

Also both Mechanic movies (the original and the remake)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 8, 2016

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

coyo7e posted:

Hell or High Water is also up, it's depressing as gently caress in Trump's America but a good movie and I liked the ending.

I'm not seeing this as a Prime movie, just to rent/own.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

enigmahfc posted:

I'm not seeing this as a Prime movie, just to rent/own.
If it's on Prime, it's a prime movie. Free has nothing to do with it v:shobon:v

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

coyo7e posted:

If it's on Prime, it's a prime movie. Free has nothing to do with it v:shobon:v

There is a difference between Amazon Prime streaming and Amazon streaming. The former is free if you have Prime. The latter is basically every movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GonSmithe posted:

There is a difference between Amazon Prime streaming and Amazon streaming. The former is free if you have Prime. The latter is basically every movie.
Alright then find where I can watch this gem again online streaming, free or otherwise https://www.amazon.com/Navigator-Medieval-Odyssey-Lyins/dp/B00BC0JIW8

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Is not on Amazon prime if having prime has no impact on whether you can watch it. That's just available for rent from Amazon.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
A lot of people never streamed anything through Amazon before they signed up for Prime, so they think its all just called Prime.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The thread is mainly for streaming services but people have brought up pay to watch movies plenty of times. It's not a big deal imo.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Could you please stop worrying about the difference between Prime and Amazon movies and instead, just go watch some good movies and share what they were and if you liked them?

I mean Beasts of the Southern Wild and Moonrise Kingdom are about what I'd gauge Son of Rambow to be on par with, but nobody seems to have liked any of those movies

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

coyo7e posted:

Could you please stop worrying about the difference between Prime and Amazon movies and instead, just go watch some good movies and share what they were and if you liked them?

Most people are here to talk about movies they can watch for free with the service they're subscribed to. Not that they can spend $15 on Hell Or High Water (which is a fantastic movie you should watch if money is no object)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Call Me Charlie posted:

Most people are here to talk about movies they can watch for free with the service they're subscribed to. Not that they can spend $15 on Hell Or High Water (which is a fantastic movie you should watch if money is no object)
I'd like to point out that, instead of responding in a logical and honest manner, you literally just claimed that it costs nearly three times as much to watch the movie as it actually does in truth.. On a movie we both liked!

The movie is overpriced and I didn't notice immediately, however, you're soo full of poo poo I can smell it off my computer monitor, settle the gently caress down and can we keep talking about cool movies instead of jumping on people becuase those movies aren't "free"?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 9, 2016

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

coyo7e posted:

I'd like to point out that, instead of responding in a logical and honest manner, you literally just claimed that it costs nearly three times as much to watch the movie as it actually does in truth.. On a movie we both liked!

The movie is overpriced and I didn't notice immediately, however, you're soo full of poo poo I can smell it off my computer monitor, settle the gently caress down and can we keep talking about cool movies instead of jumping on people becuase those movies aren't "free"?

It's $15 to buy it, you maniac. Take your own advice and chill out. It wasn't a personal attack against you.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
$5.99-$14.99.. Yet I'm being accused of taking things out of context and tossing them around :laugh:

Call Me Charlie posted:

It's $15 to buy it, you maniac. Take your own advice and chill out. It wasn't a personal attack against you.

Ahh yes, this direct insult is in no way a personal attack, so I ought to take your advice to "chill out" because I'm a "maniac".

I have another movie you might wanna watch when you talk like that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslight_(1944_film)
:fuckoff:

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
haha what the hell

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
The Wailing is on Netflix.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Orunitier posted:

The Wailing is on Netflix.

Streaming for free itt right now

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is th re anywhere with a cheap rental of It Follows?

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

A MIRACLE posted:

Is th re anywhere with a cheap rental of It Follows?

If you subscribe to Showtime through Amazon ($8.99/mo) you can stream it for free. If you've never subscribed before you can get a 7-day free trial, so you could get it for $0 if you don't mind jumping through some hoops.

Also It Follows is fuckin' rad.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
I love everything about It Follows, especially that the dread almost feels like a physical constant.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Counterpoint: It Follows is a boring slog that is a stiflingly on-the-nose simile about AIDS

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Counterpoint: It Follows is a boring slog that is a stiflingly on-the-nose simile about AIDS

Is it? I haven't seen it yet, but I haven't heard that in any discussion.

The AIDS part, you seeing it as a boring slog is objective.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well the horror is straight up an STD, but I have no idea what "a stiflingly on-the-nose simile about AIDS" is supposed to mean.

That said I didn't really like It Follows either and thought it was kind of boring, not scary, and the soundtrack everyone seems to love so much was really played out, since every hipster horror film seems to do the Synthy Carpenter/Eurotrash soundtrack these days.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 9, 2016

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I always read the monster in It Follows as blossoming teenage sexuality. There's a few scenes that just make more sense from that perspective, and i seem to remember one scene that kind of shouts it (the guy friend awkwardly offering himself up to have sex with the main character so the monster comes after him, i think).

A better STD movie would be any vampire movie. Except Daybreakers, which is about overthrowing capitalism.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Inspector Hound posted:

I always read the monster in It Follows as blossoming teenage sexuality.

Yup. The STD reading doesn't really gel with the film's imagery/themes.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I finished watching Red Oaks Season 2 and it's a giant step up over the first season. That one leaned way too hard on a being a parody of all the 80s stereotypes while season 2 is a show about characters that live in the 80s. I'm guessing it isn't coming back for a season 3 but they did a good job showing its potential.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

veni veni veni posted:

Well the horror is straight up an STD, but I have no idea what "a stiflingly on-the-nose simile about AIDS" is supposed to mean.

That said I didn't really like It Follows either and thought it was kind of boring, not scary, and the soundtrack everyone seems to love so much was really played out, since every hipster horror film seems to do the Synthy Carpenter/Eurotrash soundtrack these days.

Sweet, it sounds perfect

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
It Follows is a great, slow burn horror movie that had a great sense of dread. If your a fan of horror movies like The Babadook I think you would like it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think It Follows is much better than some of the other recent stuff like The Babadook and The Witch. The cinematography is head and shoulders above any horror movie I've seen in years, and the premise, while it may sound somewhat on the nose, actually ends up developing into something really complex and interesting as the movie goes on.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Inspector Hound posted:

I always read the monster in It Follows as blossoming teenage sexuality.

They're all 20 somethings though, pretty sure. My hot take is that it's about the Millennial generation experiencing existential terror when confronted with the inescapable fact that they aren't children, the world they're inheriting is a picked over, hollowed out shithole and there's nowhere they can go and nothing they can do to escape that reality. Seen through that lens Adulthood in the 2010s is a certain kind of spiritual death, and the creature in It Follows functions as the despair urging towards annihilation that can overtake you when you realize the predicament you are in & have always been in. Using Detroit as the setting and stuff like the quotes they chose from The Idiot kinda support that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The fact that Jay is in college, but living at home for the summer, is really important. She's got one foot in both worlds and the movie deals with her figuring out how to get over the fear of change and put adolescence permanently behind her.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

mysterious frankie posted:

They're all 20 somethings though, pretty sure. My hot take is that it's about the Millennial generation experiencing existential terror when confronted with the inescapable fact that they aren't children, the world they're inheriting is a picked over, hollowed out shithole and there's nowhere they can go and nothing they can do to escape that reality. Seen through that lens Adulthood in the 2010s is a certain kind of spiritual death, and the creature in It Follows functions as the despair urging towards annihilation that can overtake you when you realize the predicament you are in & have always been in. Using Detroit as the setting and stuff like the quotes they chose from The Idiot kinda support that.

They're in college, i was initially remembering them being high schoolers. I'm mostly thinking about the monster as the old lady (fits with your interpretation, but also works as a young person looking forward to a time when they'll be undesirable with a kind of existential horror), the naked guy in the roof (who is not attractive, but is definitely naked, an uncomfortable image whose brief time on screen you probably spend recoiling), her friend in the bikini (representing sexual curiosity), the little boy (perhaps a representation of the innocent affection of childhood, now transformed into a tireless stalking monster), and finally the shape it takes at the end, which we don't get to see and is almost certainly her father (elektra). Her friend also gets iced when the monster turns into his step mom and, in the only scene where we get to see a kill happening, appears to have sex with him (oedipus).

This isnt saying she's "into" the monster's form at all times, it's just the inexpressible and uncomfortable feeling of this animal waking up inside of her/you/a person of a similar age. It would work better if they were in high school like i thought i remembered, but in the same breath I'll say that college is where a lot of people awaken sexually.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Beyond the Hills leaves (US) Netflix on December 16th. I haven't seen it yet but I'm gonna watch it before then because I hear it's really good.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

veni veni veni posted:

hipster horror film

I have no idea what this means, unless "hipster" has lost all meaning and is now just synonymous for "recent and popular".

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I think he means it's full of hipsters.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I ended up really disliking The Wailing. It had already fallen into incoherence before the end presented two or three twists too many. I can dig movies without complete answers, but I like to feel like something makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Guy Mann posted:

I have no idea what this means, unless "hipster" has lost all meaning and is now just synonymous for "recent and popular".

It just means the person using the term "Hipster" is old and doesn't like things that younger people like anymore. See also the term: Millennial