Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Melatonin is known to exacerbate night terrors so yeah that's probably happening to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yeah that's why I don't take it. I used to scream and hit things in my sleep

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Phanatic posted:

Melatonin is probably the least favorite thing I've ever taken. I know it's supposed to send the "you're tired and need to sleep" signal to your brain, and 2.5 mg of it sure as hell worked great at that, but I still had insomnia and couldn't actually sleep. But now I was tired enough for the insomnia to feel about 100x worse. Felt awful.

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I already have a lot of crazy, active, horrible dreams on my own naturally and meletonin seems to amp that up bigly for me

With melatonin, I get both of these going :(

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Soulex posted:

Yeah that's why I don't take it. I used to scream and hit things in my sleep

My wife and I went to Cambodia a few years back and they gave us Malarone (atovaquone and proguanil, anti malarial) to take every day, which made her dreams insane. Then when we got home she couldn't sleep because of Malarone withdrawal insomnia, which is apparently a thing. So the doc gave her melatonin to sleep, which she took once, stopping after she woke up convinced I was trying to kill her. She hit me in the head with a metal drink bottle.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
That was PROBABLY more from the antimalarial than the melatonin, those things can have some completely insane side effects

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, I did that before melatonin to be honest.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah I remember coming back from a late night guard shift on mefloquine Monday and trying to get to sleep with everyone already racked out and yelling in their sleep and being all loving weird. Bonus points if the rear end in a top hat you woke up tries to fight you in his confusion as he comes to from his night terror.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
To this day I can't sleep more than three continuous hours in a night. I blame Mefloquine Mondays.

It's what I'm doing now in fact. Go to bed and sleep for three hours, wake up and read for a couple hours then hope to get a nap in before the alarm goes off. Doesn't work and I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep since. :smith:

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Dang dude. I'm sure you've probably done most of these but have you

• Done all that sleep hygiene poo poo the doctor tells you about not drinking coffee or smoking or using your bed(room) for anything but sleeping?
  • Exerciseeeeee
  • Tried herbal / OTC poo poo like melatonin or benadryl (don't take 12 like that other guy please)
  • Talked to a doctor who isn't working for the military about some sort of sleeping aid like ambien or a hammer???

Hope your sleep and also life get better :smithcloud:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Smoke some weed dude

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the suggestions! I have tried them all and weed worked the best giving me five hours. It's out now as I am subject to testing for work.

Those sleep aids knock me out but I still wake up a couple hours later twitching and groggy, which lasts deep into the next day.

Hey at least I never got malaria!! :haw:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Drug tests suck. I am glad that I no longer have to be piss tested.

I have had to poo poo while doing that once. It is embarrassing. Especially when he gags but has to watch.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Double down on the anti-malaria and make your nightcap a gin and tonic

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Soulex posted:

I have had to poo poo while doing that once. It is embarrassing. Especially when he gags but has to watch.

If that didn't feel like a power move then your shame settings are off point

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCQbkayFwFU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Soulex posted:

I did almost every piss test while making GBS threads. That's the best way to do it. Also most pecker checkers are volunteers.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Mr. Nice! posted:

I did almost every piss test while making GBS threads. That's the best way to do it. Also most pecker checkers are volunteers.

Hey it got me out to lunch early.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The guy here at Osan has a poo poo ton of bootleg movies so people who get selected/volunteer get to watch those all day. I'd look at ten total minutes of penis for eight hours of movies and dicking around on my phone during the work week.

Last time I got picked to piss, I spent about 3 and a half hours sloooowly sipping the smallest possible amounts of water, and watching Captain America 3 and the VVitch. Waste my time I'll waste yours.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP
When I was at Scott, I always seemed to get called in for piss tests right after I had just gone to the bathroom while at work.

And then things got worse at Edwards because like 90% of those tests happened right after a night shift. I'd have to stick around for another hour or so, and they only changed things about a month before I got out.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I ended up doing this a lot for awhile at one unit, I just stood in the room and let them piss in peace. If someone rigged up a bladder thing to skirt around a drug test then good for them because it's whatever man.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I ended up doing this a lot for awhile at one unit, I just stood in the room and let them piss in peace. If someone rigged up a bladder thing to skirt around a drug test then good for them because it's whatever man.

If someone managed to rig up some kind of clean piss contraptions and not get piss all over themselves, and also obtain some clean piss, all within the mandatory two hours or whatever of reporting time? Gotta give them mad props for ingenuity. PROMOTE NOW!

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Rough Lobster posted:

and also obtain some clean piss, all within the mandatory two hours or whatever of reporting time?

Isn't that the purpose of a battle buddy? Like having that one person be the designated driver while everyone else has fun?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

Isn't that the purpose of a battle buddy? Like having that one person be the designated driver while everyone else has fun?

Yes.

Also no. Because he will do it without telling you so surprise!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I saw a truck pulling a van down the street with a thin tow strap. The van wasn't running.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I went with USAA for my home loan because I'm a huge goddamned idiot and it had been the most painful, stupid, infuriating experience I've had outside the realm of the military.

Have you ever had to explain to your lender that you don't work for your payroll company? Three times?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I had zero issues with my VA home loan through USAA, I guess I was fortunate!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

I went with USAA for my home loan because I'm a huge goddamned idiot and it had been the most painful, stupid, infuriating experience I've had outside the realm of the military.

Have you ever had to explain to your lender that you don't work for your payroll company? Three times?

The only issue I had with USAA's home loan was they were extremely particular about my employment history. I was a contractor for 10 years.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Yeah, kinda surprised. USAA has always been the most helpful and responsive financial institution I've ever dealt with. But I've only ever done banking and insurance with them, maybe the loan department is different? :shrug:

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They hand over their mortgages to citi I think

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

hogmartin posted:

Yeah, kinda surprised. USAA has always been the most helpful and responsive financial institution I've ever dealt with. But I've only ever done banking and insurance with them, maybe the loan department is different? :shrug:

I was surprised too, but if you look up the reviews the main complaint is they go so slowly until they miss closing dates and get contracts nulled, so sellers move on.

They kept sending massive email chains with gigantic signature blocks too, which were loving infuriating glean information from.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Yep. They also have this painful document routing system where it takes a minimum of three days for whoever you are talking to on the phone to get the e-mail you just sent.

But, hey, at least the slowdown helped me get out of a contract on a house riddled with mold on the inside. That's harnessing the power of idiots. There is no feeling of relief quite like finding out that you made a major screw up, but you can cover it up because someone else hosed up harder.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ceiling fan posted:

Yep. They also have this painful document routing system where it takes a minimum of three days for whoever you are talking to on the phone to get the e-mail you just sent.

But, hey, at least the slowdown helped me get out of a contract on a house riddled with mold on the inside. That's harnessing the power of idiots. There is no feeling of relief quite like finding out that you made a major screw up, but you can cover it up because someone else hosed up harder.

The military teaches us all different lessons

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ceiling fan posted:

The Idiot Thread: "That's harnessing the power of idiots."

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

I went with USAA for my home loan because I'm a huge goddamned idiot
They've been mostly fine for me, except something's hosed and if I try to check the mortgage bill online it just logs me out so I have to pay over the goddamned telephone... like, what kind of senile retiree to I look like?

...but yeah other than that it's been super chill.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well that's certainly a story. Had a partner at work tell me stories about jerking off at night while wearing NV goggles attempting to hit mice with his splooge on duty.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

LingcodKilla posted:

Well that's certainly a story. Had a partner at work tell me stories about jerking off at night while wearing NV goggles attempting to hit mice with his splooge on duty.

That seems plausible at least

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
It's me, I'm the idiot. I went to Standing Rock because I'm a big dumb retard who believes the police should not spray people with water in freezing temperatures. The veterans event was a complete mess and I don't even know where to start.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Admiral Bosch posted:

It's me, I'm the idiot. I went to Standing Rock because I'm a big dumb retard who believes the police should not spray people with water in freezing temperatures. The veterans event was a complete mess and I don't even know where to start.

The military historically has not organized well for native Americans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Admiral Bosch posted:

Well, at least you're honest. We've all done bone-headed things at some point or another.