Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I love my dorky commentators
https://twitter.com/SacramentoKings/status/806701121741864960/video/1

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The announcers are a big reason the Kings are my second favorite team.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Rockets will not invalidate Motiejunas's offer sheet. And now we wait for BJ Armstrong's 3-dimensional chess response.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

Your Buddy Hield shot selection update.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GfsEm63ZY0

YouTube's auto follow up: Anthony Bennett lowlights

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wonder what a Dunn/Hield backcourt would look like

I mean, I am critical of Dunn when asked and have problems with his efficiency but Dunn is MUCH better than Hield right now. By PER, WS, RPM, eye Test, TS%... Hield is one of the worst players in the NBA getting minutes right now.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

dokmo posted:

His shots are so bad the defense doesnt even get the rebound half the time because they are so shocked.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

dokmo posted:

This video is viscerally unappealing. I had to stop watching after like 90 seconds.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

MourningView posted:

Don't draft upperclassmen
Not a hard and fast rule though (Kemba Walker, Damian Lillard, Draymond Green... Steph Curry? yeah Steph Curry)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Sabonis is the only rookie really playing above his expectations off the top of my head. Which I'm not shocked about since I saw him play a few times last year and was surprised he was projected late first round in a lot of mocks. Maybe you could make an argument for Marquis Chris since like half the analysts thought he would be the worst player ever, although he's not the NBA ready stud that the other half of projectors thought he was.

Maybe Ingram slightly ahead based on already having some defensive utility as a rookie but his offense is behind at least what optimistic people thought (although ahead of where I pegged it since I was convinced his handles would sink his ability to create his own shot in the NBA, but he seems to have worked on that quite a bit).

Fast Luck posted:

Not a hard and fast rule though (Kemba Walker, Damian Lillard, Draymond Green... Steph Curry? yeah Steph Curry)

It seems the smaller the school the safer it is to go upperclassmen.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
I watched the Buddy vid and now am watching Bird vs Hawks as a palate cleanser

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Rick posted:

Sabonis is the only rookie really playing above his expectations off the top of my head. Which I'm not shocked about since I saw him play a few times last year and was surprised he was projected late first round in a lot of mocks. Maybe you could make an argument for Marquis Chris since like half the analysts thought he would be the worst player ever, although he's not the NBA ready stud that the other half of projectors thought he was.

Maybe Ingram slightly ahead based on already having some defensive utility as a rookie but his offense is behind at least what optimistic people thought (although ahead of where I pegged it since I was convinced his handles would sink his ability to create his own shot in the NBA, but he seems to have worked on that quite a bit).

Dorian Finney-Smith is playing above his expectations. The Mavs aren't good but he barely made the team, wasn't drafted, and has become a starter. He can't really shoot yet but has a knack for being in the correct place on the floor.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 8, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Buddy obviously needs to come home to be great. My evidence: his one game in okc #FreeBuddy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Buddy was the player I irrationally wanted to be good despite only watching a handful of highlight videos on YouTube of him

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Here's an incomplete listing from 2010-2014ish on that I attempted to make just now to test this hypothesis

Good upperclassmen
Larry Sanders, VCU (Jr.)
Kemba Walker, Connecticut (Jr.)
Klay Thompson, Washington State (Jr.)
Nikola Vučević, USC (Jr.)
Reggie Jackson, Boston College (Jr.)
Jimmy Butler, Marquette (Sr.)
Chandler Parsons, Florida (Sr.)
Isaiah Thomas, Washington (Jr.)
Damian Lillard, Weber St. (Jr.)
Festus Ezeli, Vanderbilt (Sr.)
Jae Crowder, Marquette (Sr.)
Draymond Green, Michigan St. (Sr.)
Khris Middleton, Texas A&M (Jr.)
CJ McCollum, Lehigh (Sr.)

Don't look at these
Evan Turner, Ohio State (Jr.)
Wesley Johnson, Syracuse (Jr.)
Jimmer Fredette, BYU (Sr.)
Thomas Robinson, Kansas (Jr.)
Miles Plumlee, Duke (Sr.)
Mason Plumlee, Duke (Sr.)

Also
Victor Oladipo, Indiana (Jr.)

Rick posted:

It seems the smaller the school the safer it is to go upperclassmen.
Yeah I also notuiced that, a lot of the good upper classmen came from smaller schools or less prominent basketball programs. Probably late bloomers that needed some extra time to get the scouts turned on.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

From the Rockets: Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris. Sam "Triple" Dekker looks good. Jones is bad but also looked okay before a spate of injuries.

From watching Morey draft, upperclassmen seem like good value in the mid-to-late draft when you go for guys who are clearly NBA-level talented at one or two things. But don't draft athletic dudes who haven't figured out how to do poo poo in three or four years (as a corollary, if you're an athletic goofball, declare as soon as you can get guaranteed money).

chunkles fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 8, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Oladipo is good

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

The reason I wasn't sure what to do with him is that he was picked #2 overall which seems too high. But looking at it now 2013 was the Giannis, Gobert, and trash draft so I guess it's ok. Also the Plumlees werent' bad picks necessarily but remain Plumlees.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

This video is viscerally unappealing. I had to stop watching after like 90 seconds.

It made me feel so bad for Buddy that I had to turn it off too. The German word Fremdschämen comes to mind.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oladipo was considered the #1 draft choice, that's why there's that Bill Simmons clip of him going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WH0ysZmK50

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Vucevic should be in the Also category, if not the don't look at this one. He is an offense only center that is below average on offense. He only has decent counting stats because he gets an inexplicably high number of minutes either because Orlando is showcasing him for a midseason trade, or Vogel is dumber than we thought.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Twenty two years late but what the gently caress Fleer

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sheriff posted:

drat, it's crazy how many teams' futures were impacted by CP3's decision to leave New Orleans. The Lakers, the Clippers, the Pelicans themselves, the Rockets, the Raptors, and now apparently the Warriors too. Plus like a dozen other teams, but those are the ones who could be in very different places right now.

Stern saved the Pelicans from themselves.

I still don't get why this was such a huge issue. The team was owned by the league who is run by the commissioner. Why wouldn't he have final say on the moves?

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Fast Luck posted:

The reason I wasn't sure what to do with him is that he was picked #2 overall which seems too high. But looking at it now 2013 was the Giannis, Gobert, and trash draft so I guess it's ok. Also the Plumlees werent' bad picks necessarily but remain Plumlees.

Don't forget future max NBA player Otto Porter

Caldwell Pope and Steven Adams are fine players, too.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tae posted:

Oladipo was considered the #1 draft choice, that's why there's that Bill Simmons clip of him going

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WH0ysZmK50

haha he loving thinks that the Nets Celtics trade was a steal for the nets.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

McDermit is back, baby. Watch out, Spurs

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Atheistdeals.com posted:

Incredible imo

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

he's exactly the sort of player to have a big night against the spurs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

I still don't get why this was such a huge issue. The team was owned by the league who is run by the commissioner. Why wouldn't he have final say on the moves?

Because the league said the GM would get the final say, but I agree the original trade was awful too. The trade that ended up happening was only bad because Eric Gordon was made of paper.

Rick posted:

Sabonis is the only rookie really playing above his expectations off the top of my head.

Embiid and Saric are rookies and both playing well, though I think you meant drafted in '16.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Atheistdeals.com posted:

is this too gauche as an av?

i realize the irony considering my current one

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

seems pretty great aside from tigers aren't native to africa

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lockback posted:

Because the league said the GM would get the final say, but I agree the original trade was awful too. The trade that ended up happening was only bad because Eric Gordon was made of paper.

It did allow them to be bad enough to get Davis too.

Looking at that 2012 draft and realized how bad the Kings hosed up. Could have had Lillard, Drummond, or Barnes. Also hosed up bad in 2013 too. Get Cousins out of Sacramento.

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.
That Buddy video was so painful to watch. Is he leading the league in airballs?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Niwrad posted:

I remember Cuban pitching a big fit about a Carl Landry to the Hornets trade because it took on salary for the team. But he was silent when they salary dumped Peja on Toronto

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

chunkles posted:

seems pretty great aside from tigers aren't native to africa

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Niwrad posted:

It did allow them to be bad enough to get Davis too.

Looking at that 2012 draft and realized how bad the Kings hosed up. Could have had Lillard, Drummond, or Barnes. Also hosed up bad in 2013 too. Get Cousins out of Sacramento.

I think every draft since 2010 has been that way, with the exception of maybe WCS but his struggles this year aren't very encouraging.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I think every draft since 2010 has been that way, with the exception of maybe WCS but his struggles this year aren't very encouraging.

It's sad looking through those drafts. If they had just hit on one of the many good players they passed over, they're a playoff team.

*and the Bulls would have their pick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The reason why they drafted Thomas Robinson was the dumbest thing. Apparently the gm was worried they couldn't keep loving jason thompson, so he drafted based on a potential gap at PF

then they re-signed Jason Thompson anyway

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

https://twitter.com/McGrawDHBulls/status/807027282175021056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Redgrendel2001 posted: