Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

Curious, if DS9 is "dystopia-lite" than where are we living right now? I'm not saying the portrayal of the Federation is 100% consistent or positive (like anything else on these shows) or that there's no room to examine the roots and principals of the thing, but I'm baffled and mildly alarmed by this need a lot of people seem to have to see the Federation as this quasi dystopian nightmare regime.

I've already been saying for a couple of years that we're living in a sci-fi dystopia. If nothing else, the fact that our most recent presidential election was between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump should've clued you in. Each would have served, in the '80s and '90s, as cheap shorthand in a cheap sci-fi novel for the coming dystopia if we failed to change our ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

override367
Apr 29, 2013
"The Federation is a Dystopia" is a pretty ridiculous way to look at it, the vast bulk of its citizens are post scarcity and can spend their long lives building cheese sculptures of starships if they want, they're just not perhaps a utopia like they pretend to be

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Star Trek by default has to constantly struggle with figuring out how to explore our current problems in a future where a lot of those problems shouldn't exist.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Finally finished S1 of Enterprise.

Hot take: I think this show might be bad.

Some of the only entertainment I can get out of it at this point is dumb headcannon about the actors and setting stuff. Like:

:psyduck: "Rene Auberjonois is in this episode, but what if his character is really Odo? Like, Changelings can live crazy long, and Enterprise already has an over-arching time travel plot stemming from the 2900's, so what if this weird old guy is secretly Odo from the far future, here to warn Archer about something, or to set him on a path that will ensure the safety of the future as we understand it in TOS, TNG, and DS9? Maybe this boring plot isn't just a dig at the only good character on Voyager and is a really sly, long-term hint at some crazy bullshit in the longer plot..." :psyduck:

Wishful thinking. A lot of these include Archer as Dr. Sam Beckett too. I went for some Farscape as a palette cleanser after I finished S1, only to find it has recently fallen off Netflix streaming. I am now alone with my thoughts, and with Enterprise.

Kill meeeeeeeeeee

override367
Apr 29, 2013

LinkesAuge posted:

You also run into the problem of how to stop outside communication with such civilizations because it really doesn't need physical interference to do huge damage. That's why in my opinion in a universe like Star Trek's there wouldn't be anything between pre-industrial and warp civilizations (or just for a very short time). Once a civilization reaches the industrial age it would notice what's going on out there, one way or another.

It should be like int the Culture books, where almost every society that's invented the radio is aware of the greater galactic community, and maybe even has alien embassies in their cities, but everyone's pretty much agreed to not give the kids the adult toys (even though they all do it in secret to some extent)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

grilldos posted:

Star Trek by default has to constantly struggle with figuring out how to explore our current problems in a future where a lot of those problems shouldn't exist.

That's easy, though: aliens.

Honestly, I think the less time they spend in known space, the better.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, I think the less time they spend in known space, the better.

And sometimes time travel!

DS9's sanctuary districts sound like a very Trumpian solution to economic disenfranchisement so we're probably living in that timeline

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

override367 posted:

And sometimes time travel!

DS9's sanctuary districts sound like a very Trumpian solution to economic disenfranchisement so we're probably living in that timeline

It takes place in 2024, and IMHO is as good a guess as any for what America will look like after two Trump terms.

override367
Apr 29, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

It takes place in 2024, and IMHO is as good a guess as any for what America will look like after two Trump terms.

rich aloof people laughing about how hosed Europe is while the underclass' fuse is burning out around them?

I can see it

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

override367 posted:

rich aloof people laughing about how hosed Europe is while the underclass' fuse is burning out around them?

I can see it

Already happening except replace "rich" with "white."

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

MikeJF posted:

Check your human privilege!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tighclops posted:

Curious, if DS9 is "dystopia-lite" than where are we living right now? I'm not saying the portrayal of the Federation is 100% consistent or positive (like anything else on these shows) or that there's no room to examine the roots and principals of the thing, but I'm baffled and mildly alarmed by this need a lot of people seem to have to see the Federation as this quasi dystopian nightmare regime.

It's the same thing that drives people to "theorize" that Rugrats is all just a coma dream or whatever. People like darkening poo poo up to seem deep.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd like to imagine the Malcorans (from First Contact) went on their merry way without warp drive, then just got casually invaded by the Dominion during its foray into the Alpha Quadrant. Welcome to the galaxy, suckers.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Far Beyond the Stars is so good. When I first watched it I was worried it would be a lesser retread of Inner Light, but it wasn't at all. Seeing Dorn out of makeup was strange but cool, and it made me realize DS9 has a lot of black actors on it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

FuturePastNow posted:

I'd like to imagine the Malcorans (from First Contact) went on their merry way without warp drive, then just got casually invaded by the Dominion during its foray into the Alpha Quadrant. Welcome to the galaxy, suckers.

Doesn't Betazed get rolled by the Dominion at one point? I remember one major Federation planet serving as an example to the audience how serious the situation is. If Betazed goes down, can you imagine the shitstorms going on elsewhere? All those dumbass colonies TNG deals with every third episode: all gone.

VanSandman posted:

Far Beyond the Stars is so good. When I first watched it I was worried it would be a lesser retread of Inner Light, but it wasn't at all. Seeing Dorn out of makeup was strange but cool, and it made me realize DS9 has a lot of black actors on it.

"Far Beyond the Stars" is one of the DS9 episodes that I can recommend to anyone as Good Television, regardless of genre or Trekness or whatever. Yeah, it's about sci fi writers, but it's really a drama about race in mid-century America. So drat good.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

VanSandman posted:

namely Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdul Karim El Mahdi

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.
Ha, just dug this out of an old hard drive from ages ago. It may even have been for this thread. If I recall correctly, I put a lot of thought into it.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Edit: ^^^^ I have so many questions about this!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

namely Siddig El Tahir El Fadil El Siddig Abdurrahman Mohammed Ahmed Abdul Karim El Mahdi

"Bob" to his friends.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Picard is more lawful than Spock?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Where is Morn

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Brick Card posted:

Ha, just dug this out of an old hard drive from ages ago. It may even have been for this thread. If I recall correctly, I put a lot of thought into it.

Jake Sisko: evil?

Quark: evil?

Got Janeway right, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tighclops posted:

I think it's the deconstructionalist thing which is present in a lot of nerdy-rear end genre media, and thus, in a lot of people's minds. The problem, I think, becomes that you reach a point where everything is a loving deconstructionalist takedown of everything ever, and when the original thing that is being deconstructed is receding in the cultural rear-view mirror, it just becomes reflexive reification of bleakness.

While it's getting a little far afield, I imagine this is one factor that has led folks to leap on colorful, bright, cheerful crap like the ponies and Steven Universe. Even if the latter has its share of dark depressing etc., it's like, "Finally, something other than rehashed Bush-era cynicism in everything."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Railing Kill posted:

Doesn't Betazed get rolled by the Dominion at one point? I remember one major Federation planet serving as an example to the audience how serious the situation is. If Betazed goes down, can you imagine the shitstorms going on elsewhere? All those dumbass colonies TNG deals with every third episode: all gone.

Yeah Betazed gets invaded and occupied, and stays occupied until the Dominion's surrender IIRC.

quote:

"Far Beyond the Stars" is one of the DS9 episodes that I can recommend to anyone as Good Television, regardless of genre or Trekness or whatever. Yeah, it's about sci fi writers, but it's really a drama about race in mid-century America. So drat good.

It's so loving good. When me and Pikestaff saw it was coming up we weren't sure where it would go, but god drat. (Although I wish today as a white guy I could get 5c/word writing :smith:)

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Railing Kill posted:

Yep, Betazed did get rolled by the Dominion. If you ever wondered where the Enterprise-E was during the war, it was in the fleet that failed to defend Betazed and had to retake it. There was a novel or two about it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

grilldos posted:

this gets a lot easier if you just accept that Star Trek should not be about the Federation

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tighclops posted:

gonna quote myself from the parallel timeline other trek thread:

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

replicated food is actually poo poo because we're so insecure about our own existence that we're deeply uncomfortable with a setting that suggests things could actually be better, so we need every innovation to have a terrible downside that reassures us that we're actually better off without it

replicated food? it's just tv dinner garbage
synthehol? it's just like lovely bud light or something
holodecks? it's all AI slavery
transporters? murder machines
interstellar civilization? more like turbo-fascism

it's okay friend, your home life really is the pinnacle of existence. anyone who thinks they have it better than you is obviously suffering at least as much, if not moreso than you

Also:

quote:

The original idea for this episode involved that admiral literally being Kirk
Do you have a source on this?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

gonna quote myself from the parallel timeline other trek thread:

Also:

Do you have a source on this?

The core problem is that Roddenberry's utopia free of interpersonal conflict is unrelatable and more importantly insanely boring.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Star Trek should always be about things getting shot with phasers and then exploding dramatically.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Quark, totally more evil than Weyoun. That chart should be hauled away AS garbage.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

dont even fink about it posted:

The core problem is that Roddenberry's utopia free of interpersonal conflict is unrelatable and more importantly insanely boring.

That's true, which is why Trek should be about going outside of that to explore strange new worlds rather than about retreading the non-problems of normal old worlds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brick Card posted:

If you think Sloan isn't much deeper into evil you have some seriously warped ethics.

I mean, he likes to think he's neutral, I'm sure.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Baronjutter posted:

Quark, totally more evil than Weyoun. That chart should be hauled away AS garbage.

Weyoun Six was a good good space boy

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

The logic could be that since Weyoun is genetically engineered to be completely loyal to the changelings he literally cannot be evil because evil requires intent???

Though in that case he should be right at the centre because anything he does could be considered the will of another.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kibayasu posted:

Though in that case he should be right at the centre because anything he does could be considered the will of another.

Nah, his mind and personality is definitely lawful.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

Cojawfee posted:

Picard is more lawful than Spock?

I probably made it that way because of the Unification thing with Romulus Spock did.

Railing Kill posted:

It's been so long I kind of forgot the justifications, but evil doesn't necessarily mean evil, just more selfish rather than altruistic.

Brick Card fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 8, 2016

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

That chart is more an indictment of two-axis alignment than anything else.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

LinkesAuge posted:

You also run into the problem of how to stop outside communication with such civilizations because it really doesn't need physical interference to do huge damage. That's why in my opinion in a universe like Star Trek's there wouldn't be anything between pre-industrial and warp civilizations (or just for a very short time). Once a civilization reaches the industrial age it would notice what's going on out there, one way or another.

Well, unless you're right on top of the planet any attempt at communicating with prewarp civs will take literal years in the best-case scenario and would be very questionable in its success rate. There's a lot of space to watch, even today we only track a few % of the sky. Most of the stuff we discover is by picking a semi-random spot and letting a telescope array chew it over the course of days/weeks and then spending months going over the data.

When it comes to nebulae, I actually have less of a problem with the 2D maps--many of them have similar aspects in all three dimensions, so if you're saying "no" to it then up, down, left, right--doesn't matter. One direction may be more optimal than others but they're all probably in the same ballpark. That goddamn "romulan blockade" episode was just enormously stupid though.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Railing Kill posted:

Seriously, Quark is one of the most moral characters on the show. It's just that his culture's morality isn't aligned with what most humans are.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Tuvok owns pretty hard. Voyager came across an advanced civilisation that had technology which would allow them to cut 40 years off their journey home. Unfortunately the aliens have a rule that their whole society is based on that means they can't share technology with a less advanced species and influence their development. Everyone thinks this is bullshit and what kind of dickheads would have a dumb rule like that? One of the aliens offers to make a sneaky trade and offer the technology in exchange for a copy of all Voyager's ebooks under the table. Janeway decides that this is immoral so she puts the kibosh on the plan. When everyone is getting ready to leave Tuvok sneaks off the ship and makes the trade. When Janeway finds out and ask why he says that getting home is their primary mission and knew Janeway would contrive some moral objection to the deal so he did it himself to ensure her hands were clean.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Seriously, Quark is one of the most moral characters on the show. It's just that his culture's morality isn't aligned with what most humans are.

It changes as the show goes on though. The reason why Brunt hates Quark so much is that in the eyes of the Ferengi, Quark is a philanthropist which to them is despicable.

Pwnstar fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pwnstar posted:

Tuvok owns pretty hard. Voyager came across an advanced civilisation that had technology which would allow them to cut 40 years off their journey home. Unfortunately the aliens have a rule that their whole society is based on that means they can't share technology with a less advanced species and influence their development. Everyone thinks this is bullshit and what kind of dickheads would have a dumb rule like that? One of the aliens offers to make a sneaky trade and offer the technology in exchange for a copy of all Voyager's ebooks under the table. Janeway decides that this is immoral so she puts the kibosh on the plan. When everyone is getting ready to leave Tuvok sneaks off the ship and makes the trade. When Janeway finds out and ask why he says that getting home is their primary mission and knew Janeway would contrive some moral objection to the deal so he did it himself to ensure her hands were clean.

Don't they find out that they can't us the tech then?