Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Home is where the heart is, that's why something something youth of today are heartless.

God drat page snypes.

Zimmerit!

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

SeanBeansShako posted:

So uh, how do larger settlements than villages work out in this grade a insanity?

didn't you know there were only little farming villages in the DARK AGES, and cities sprung out of nowhere just in time for the Renaissance

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nothing to seehere posted:

What? How can you ever be stupid enough to say that?

Drinking lots of mercury, would be my guess.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

nothing to seehere posted:

What? How can you ever be stupid enough to say that?

Write a book while on drugs called "The Chariot of the Gods" about aliens and ancient history and have it become an international best-seller

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SeanBeansShako posted:

So uh, how do larger settlements than villages work out in this grade a insanity?

As soon as a citizen of London leaves their city block, they can't find their way back in the maze of alleyways and becomes a homeless bum.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

Isn't Russia famous for people getting hillariously lost in the woods?

Yes, but modern Russians have access to far more potent booze than their ancestors did.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

As soon as a citizen of London leaves their city block, they can't find their way back in the maze of alleyways and becomes a homeless bum.

TBH London and most English "cities" regardless of size beyond a certain age are a complete clusterfuck of town planning or lack of that it's entirely reasonable to get lost in.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Istanbul is literally a maze

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

JcDent posted:

He's a...rennaisanceboo or something?

This is literally the historical tradition we have inherited from the 18th century, lmao

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

bewbies posted:

Istanbul is literally a maze

History records the worst loss of human life in a single day when Constantinople ceased to be.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

History records the worst loss of human life in a single day when Constantinople ceased to be.

Are you sure? What about the sack of Baghdad, or the fall of Chang-an? The conquest of Tenochtitlan? The Romans estimated over 100,000 died during the capture of Jerusalem, while Constantinople only had 50,000 inhabitants during the Ottoman siege. And those are just examples from contemporary events; the bombing campaigns in Japan were exceptionally deadly, thanks in part to the number-crunching skills of McNamara.

sullat fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 9, 2016

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Pistol_Pete posted:

I could go on but the whole book is like this. I love the image of the peasant venturing a few fields too far from home, becoming hopelessly lost and wandering the country forever.

The thing is, it's all fun and games, until you realise this is how the author must have imagined illiterate people living in traditional communities in the contemporary world. "Don't have a wristwatch? You must be one of those poo poo-smeared dogpeople. Here, let me give you some dung to sniff." There's a lot that's loving vile about that book.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

sullat posted:

Are you sure? What about the sack of Baghdad, or the fall of Chang-an? The conquest of Tenochtitlan? The Romans estimated over 100,000 died during the capture of Jerusalem, while Constantinople only had 50,000 inhabitants during the Ottoman siege. And those are just examples from contemporary events; the bombing campaigns in Japan were exceptionally deadly, thanks in part to the number-crunching skills of McNamara.

You see, its a joke about how the city was renamed and thus nobody knew where they lived anymore and all suddenly died because that's what some idiot believes happened to people back in the day.

Sorry.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You see, its a joke about how the city was renamed and thus nobody knew where they lived anymore and all suddenly died because that's what some idiot believes happened to people back in the day.

Sorry.

Gotcha. Although they would have been sophisticated urbanites, one supposes, and thus able to find their way around as long as they had their smart phones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

I could go on but the whole book is like this. I love the image of the peasant venturing a few fields too far from home, becoming hopelessly lost and wandering the country forever.

How... How does the author think agriculture worked with no concept of time?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Millions of Medieval peasants died getting lost at night. Countless others were driven mad, the disappearance of the sun thought to herald the end times.

This happened every night.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Well I don't know Aethelric I buried some green stuff but it just won't grow? The ground is really hard and cold for some reason, why is that? How long does it normally take to grow a crop? Will I be able to eat it after I have fallen on the floor and lost consciousness three times?"

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 9, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Is there a list of crazies/old/debunked historians and books we should avoid?

Anything by Keith Windschuttle. His idea of history goes, "if it's not written down in a form I accept it never happened", as well as just making stuff up about the culture of indigenous people to back up his prejudices. He's the holocaust revisionist of Australian history.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 9, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ewe2 posted:

Anything by Keith Windschuttle. His idea of history goes, "if it's not written down in a form I accept it never happened", as well as just making stuff up about the culture of indigenous people to back up his prejudices. He's the Holocaust Revisionist of Australian history.
looks like holocaust denial altho not Holocaust denial, iykwim

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

HEY GAL posted:

looks like holocaust denial altho not Holocaust denial, iykwim

Point taken but it was meant to be an analogy because it has all the same hallmarks. It would be kinder to call him a rank amateur historian if he wasn't so dogmatic about the points he thinks he proves, namely that post-1960's historiography was politically distorted, and that there are no sources that prove (just to take his first volume of The Fabrication of Aboriginal History) that the indigenous of Tasmania were fighting a frontier war with the colonists.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

OwlFancier posted:

How... How does the author think agriculture worked with no concept of time?

Crop Rotation is a myth, apparently.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad
He also said (iirc) that money was invented exclusively to pay soldiers & also medieval people couldn't add or subtract.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

money was invented exclusively to pay soldiers
they wish

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Crop Rotation is a myth, apparently.
no you see, what you do is you stand up, hold a crop gently in one outstretched hand, and then you rotate

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Dec 9, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

If money were only used to pay soldiers what would the soldiers do with it :psyduck:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Use it to hire more soldiers

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Mantis42 posted:

Millions of Medieval peasants died getting lost at night. Countless others were driven mad, the disappearance of the sun thought to herald the end times.

So this is an accurate representation of D&D peasants, so i know where that came from at least.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 9, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

TaurusTorus posted:

So this is an accurate representation of D&D peasants, so i know where that came from at elast.

Basically they are the NPC's of every video game RPG settlement ever.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TaurusTorus posted:

So this is an accurate representation of D&D peasants, so i know where that came from at elast.

I'm choosing to interpret this as Debate & Discussion peasants.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Pontius Pilate posted:

I'm choosing to interpret this as Debate & Discussion peasants.

Nah, these are D&D peasants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2c-X8HiBng

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
You could make a Let's Read threat out of it to point out the bullshit

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Mantis42 posted:

Normally if a cloud passed across the sun peasants could follow the pheromone trail that they left when scavenging for food to get back to home, but if also rain washed away the trail then they would be lost for good. This caused countless social disruptions and wars as a peasant stumbling onto an enemy hive was sure to be eaten.

Elyv posted:

If money were only used to pay soldiers what would the soldiers do with it :psyduck:

What anyone with too much money and too few opportunities to spend it would do, gamble it all away

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
I had a book years ago written by some crazy German dude about how, in 1940 and 1941, the Germans were massing on their eastern border merely as a defensive measure, and barely pre-empted an attack from Stalin by a matter of weeks. In fact the Russians were more aggressively deployed, provoked the Germans, etc. etc.

I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the book (I thought it was Hitler's War, but it looks like I'm wrong, it was not written by Irving).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That's Suvorov's Icebreaker.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

Given that 'city blocks' aren't actually a thing in London or anywhere else in the UK other than maybe Milton Keynes, this is more plausible than you think.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Elyv posted:

Simultaneously with introducing money you introduce taxes. The idea is that it is easier on your end as god-king to give coins to soldiers and require coins from farmers than to directly requisition food from farmers and distribute that to soldiers. It's a not completely insane theory for how widespread coinage is first introduced, as opposed to precious metal exchange being limited to high level interactions of temple complexes in Sumer or whatever. Thinking that this was a medieval era thing is nuts, though with the badly mangled grain of truth that small communities didn't rely on cash for most day to day transactions.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

btw, A World Lit Only by Fire also claims that peasants didn't wear any clothes in the summer.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mr Enderby posted:

btw, A World Lit Only by Fire also claims that peasants didn't wear any clothes in the summer.

the more of this i hear the more it feels like dwarf fortress patch notes

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

A fitting Amazon review.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Mr Enderby posted:

I wouldn't either if I was a peasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Here pictured are medieval peasants from (left to right) Bavaria, Sussex, Lombardia, Tuscany and Götaland.