Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Joe Chinese will care when TRUMP visits Taiwan before the mainland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I think jack Chinese is better because there are a lot more jacks than joes.

Oh about John Chinese?

It's John Doe not joe doe but joe due sounds funnier

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Caberham, "Joe <whatever>" comes from the phrase "your average Joe" (I think).

Joe Suburb, Joe Farmer, Joe Goon.

John Chinese makes me think of a chinese dude who goes whoring.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 8, 2016

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Baddog posted:

Caberham, "Joe <whatever>" comes from the phrase "your average Joe" (I think).

Joe Suburb, Joe Farmer, Joe Goon.

John Chinese makes me think of a chinese dude who goes whoring.

Don't sign your posts.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Sichuan food is garbage, you heard it here first

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Uh oh

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Close this thread now. It's irredeemable.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

lmao look at this terrible opinion

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Not even anthony bourdain could make it interesting

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The pinnacle of Chinese cuisine is the Shandong jianbing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

VideoTapir posted:

The pinnacle of Chinese cuisine is the Shandong jianbing.

lol

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I like jianbing guozi

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I like mine with condensed milk, pork brain, cucumber, duck sauce, kale and a smaller Shandong jianbing stuffed inside.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Best chinese food are those red ribs at the buffet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hong kong divorce lunch posted:

Best chinese food are those red ribs at the buffet

I like those

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I could murder like a dozen egg rolls right now.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Lol if the finest culinary experience you had in china is not Northeastern Guobarou. That light, crispy pork and sweet vinegar sauce. Mmm!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
my top chinese culinary experience was when i was eating cheesecake at IKEA and a middle aged chinese guy walked up next to me, gave my earlobe a quick stroke with his thumb, looked me in the eyes and smiled, then walked away

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

LentThem posted:

my top chinese culinary experience was when i was eating cheesecake at IKEA and a middle aged chinese guy walked up next to me, gave my earlobe a quick stroke with his thumb, looked me in the eyes and smiled, then walked away

That wasn't his thumb

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

LentThem posted:

Your pah is strong.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I could murder like a dozen egg rolls right now.

BFF :glomp:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm in Shanghai and haven't had this many massages offered to me since I played Sleeping Dogs.

I did stumble into Jia Jia Tang Bao which had great soup dumplings.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Stop by senator saloon it's a great bar without costing to much.

As for good shanghai food try 新榕記

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I'm in Shanghai and haven't had this many massages offered to me since I played Sleeping Dogs.

a man without a pork bun is never a whole man

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

caberham posted:

Stop by senator saloon it's a great bar without costing to much.

As for good shanghai food try 新榕記

I am definitely not using Google but that turns up nothing.

Anything closer to People's Square?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
新榕記 is close enough to people's. Good dinners and lunches. It's higher end but not that pricey for the setting and food. Still cheap compared to the states. nanjing west road 688. Second floor of this office building.

You can easily walk there

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I wandered into some random silk store and holy poo poo did they put on the hard sell. It was like a used car lot "I can put you into this silk scarf for 399 yuan tonight!"

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 9, 2016

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

caberham posted:

新榕記 is close enough to people's. Good dinners and lunches. It's higher end but not that pricey for the setting and food. Still cheap compared to the states. nanjing west road 688. Second floor of this office building.

You can easily walk there

OK. Anything especially good to order?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

There's one near my home and it's super good but takes so long for them to prepare the food. Splurging on the pure-crab dumplings is recommended.

caberham posted:

Uhhh there's another one next to DaShiJie subway station (138 Middle Huaihai Rd) which is like 30% closer to People's Square than that one. Price is fine as a fun occasional thing but at an estimated $38 per person it's almost double the estimated price of the expat bar from your other post

edit: i guess if youre on vacation or a trip and from a non-rural area the USD will go far enough that you wont notice youre getting ripped a little

LentThem fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 9, 2016

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
yo actually your username is super familiar are/were you a microsoft guy

some redmond people are in shanghai today after a few days in japan

this is super personal to ask so you dont have to answer

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

go to 小杨生煎包 please

get 生煎包

best shanghai food 10/10 A+ :100 emoji:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Magna Kaser posted:

go to 小杨生煎包 please

get 生煎包

best shanghai food 10/10 A+ :100 emoji:

also hey if you dont read chinese all of them have a big english sign that says Yang's Dumplings which is way easier

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

no matter what language its in yang makes some good dumps.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
The shengjian and guotie at DaFuGui 大富贵 are also really good but because of the price point you'll be eating with a bunch of old people.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LentThem posted:

yo actually your username is super familiar are/were you a microsoft guy

some redmond people are in shanghai today after a few days in japan

this is super personal to ask so you dont have to answer

I work for Microsoft but wasn't visiting the Japan office. My luggage did though.

I was going to hit Yang's but the other place was closer and I liked watching them make the filling. Also the beer was cheap.

Is there a decent place on Nanjing Road East to buy souvenir stuff to bring to people or will the airport have enough of that?

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 9, 2016

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

I work for Microsoft but wasn't visiting the Japan office. My luggage did though.

I was going to hit Yang's but the other place was closer and I liked watching them make the filling. Also the beer was cheap.

Oh snap high-five, usually they put people up in Xujiahui - ton of good restaurants in the mall across from the hotel. By the way this information makes the google acct discussion super hilarious for some reason

And yeah it's fun watching the tangbao workers football-huddle around the vat of minced pork gossiping. But truly important question: Was the beer refrigerated? :colbert:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

LentThem posted:

Oh snap high-five, usually they put people up in Xujiahui - ton of good restaurants in the mall across from the hotel. By the way this information makes the google acct discussion super hilarious for some reason

And yeah it's fun watching the tangbao workers football-huddle around the vat of minced pork gossiping. But truly important question: Was the beer refrigerated? :colbert:

They let us book our own hotels :toot: This place seems pretty nice. It's obviously for western tastes but so what. It was a nice walk to the Bund except for massage/watch/luggage people. Someone did try the tea scam on me, I feel like an official tourist now.

The beer was cold, not "normal" which I learned a few days ago means room temperature.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

OK. Anything especially good to order?

Zhejiang cuisine has this strong grassy taste and it's pretty good. Lots of vinegar, and Shanghai and Suzhou in particular have their dishes sweeter than usual.

Definitely the red braised beef ribs. The sauce is good. The beef noodles is pretty good. The onion fried pan cakes are super fluffy without being greasy. The home style tofu is also pretty good. My friend and I spent around 700 for lunch, but portion wise 3 people could have easily eaten what we ordered.

LentThem posted:

There's one near my home and it's super good but takes so long for them to prepare the food. Splurging on the pure-crab dumplings is recommended.

Uhhh there's another one next to DaShiJie subway station (138 Middle Huaihai Rd) which is like 30% closer to People's Square than that one. Price is fine as a fun occasional thing but at an estimated $38 per person it's almost double the estimated price of the expat bar from your other post

edit: i guess if youre on vacation or a trip and from a non-rural area the USD will go far enough that you wont notice youre getting ripped a little

One is a cocktail bar the other is a top tier restaurant. I guess Senator does make grilled cheese sandwiches but that's a lot more plain than multi course Shanghai cuisine.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

They let us book our own hotels :toot: This place seems pretty nice. It's obviously for western tastes but so what. It was a nice walk to the Bund except for massage/watch/luggage people. Someone did try the tea scam on me, I feel like an official tourist now.

The beer was cold, not "normal" which I learned a few days ago means room temperature.

Get out of the bund. Go to the French concession.

Walk around Heng Sheng road station or Chang Shu station.

For drinking

Senator
Boxing Cat Brewery
Shanghai Brewery
Connoiseur

For food

Jian Guo 328 by Jiashan road station
Old Jesse and Yuanyuan at Jiaitong university

Man I don't even live in Shanghai and I go out way more than Lentt does :smith: I'm gonna do a Shanghai goon meet on day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Yeah the Bund was... the view of the tower was nice but honestly it just felt like generic large city shopping area. I can see why someone might recommend it to a foreigner who wants to go shopping or something but it was way underwhelming.

Ended up at Yang's to try the competition - not bad, the other place was better but it's not fair to compare steamed to fried. Both have a place in my heart.