Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
These are the guys you weld on the oil rig with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

B4Ctom1 posted:

These are the guys you weld on the oil rig with

I must be missing something here.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

You Am I posted:

I must be missing something here.

The hose running the exhaust into the cab?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Let me guess: a genius solution to warm the cabin.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Fun to do from a stop sign. :v:

Toyota doesn't let you engage cruise control until you hit 25 mph. :smith:

It also has a slow ramp up, like it'll accelerate reasonably for ~4 seconds and if it hasn't hit the target speed yet THEN it will drop the hammer and do whatever it can to get to speed asap.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

I don't think it's going into the cab, probably just using it as a bottle warmer.

If you've ever tried getting propane out of a tank below -20*c, you'll know it doesn't come willingly.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

xzzy posted:

Toyota doesn't let you engage cruise control until you hit 25 mph. :smith:

It also has a slow ramp up, like it'll accelerate reasonably for ~4 seconds and if it hasn't hit the target speed yet THEN it will drop the hammer and do whatever it can to get to speed asap.

It depends on the car. Buddy of mine had a 91 Town Car that was fun. I've heard early Cadillacs would just hammer it and smoke the tires.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

It depends on the car. Buddy of mine had a 91 Town Car that was fun. I've heard early Cadillacs would just hammer it and smoke the tires.

A friend in high school had a suburban with a 454 and the loudest exhaust a high school kid could get his hands on and if you hit a hill with cruise control on it would go wide open. Sounded like hell itself was breaking loose underneath you.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Deteriorata posted:

Practical joke of evil proportions

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

Practical joke of evil proportions

"How can you sleep at night?"

"Oh, it isn't the falling asleep part that's difficult..."

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Powershift posted:

I don't think it's going into the cab, probably just using it as a bottle warmer.

If you've ever tried getting propane out of a tank below -20*c, you'll know it doesn't come willingly.

I gotta say this is a much better solution than using a bunsen burner.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I gotta say this is a much better solution than using a bunsen burner.

Well, i can tell you that you get yelled at right quick for using the tiger torch to heat it's own tank, but when it's -40, you're hauling water and don't really give a gently caress if you explode or not, it works.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElzybLmIgro

e: Someone is going to ask about the red Chrysler 300 at the end. It’s a different car. Look at the wheels.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Dec 9, 2016

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

xergm posted:

These are the carjackers you share the road with

Not sure I would have done as well as this guy did.

Edit:
Should probably start at 0:40 if you want to skip to the action.
Most intense dashcam I've seen in a while.

Already posted

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Kinda confused, does the 300 roll by at 7:13 just to gently caress with everybody?

Already asked

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Platystemon posted:

e: Someone is going to ask about the red Chrysler 300 at the end. It’s a different car. Look at the wheels.
Would it be a stupid idea to like park at the gas station that they guy drove through? I mean I guess the car jackers are pretty ballsy and willing to do stupid poo poo, but it looked like there were a lot of people around who might have interfered or at least scared away the attackers, don't want to commit a crime with an audience and cameras sort of thing. I have never encountered a similar situation, but my first reaction if something like were to happen would be to stop in a crowded area, or is that a really stupid idea? I'm not trying to judge the victim or criticize his actions, he did everything right as far as not getting his car stolen, but I don't think it's what I would have done in the same situation.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Was thinking the same thing. I figured it'd probably be a bad idea. Too many people would idly stand by and not actually help. Plus if the would be jacker had a gun gently caress that, Ill drive till the gas runs out or find a cop, whichever comes first.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Hell no don't stop at the gas station. That's putting your life and your car at the mercy of a garbage CCTV system and the kindness of strangers. He made the right call.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

um excuse me posted:

Was thinking the same thing. I figured it'd probably be a bad idea. Too many people would idly stand by and not actually help. Plus if the would be jacker had a gun gently caress that, Ill drive till the gas runs out or find a cop, whichever comes first.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

There used to be an issue with some old-school systems where you had a RWD car, but the speedo signal from the front wheel. On slippery surfaces it'd spin the wheels on power application, not see a corresponding increase in speed, and so add more throttle. You can work out how well that went.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

Hell no don't stop at the gas station. That's putting your life and your car at the mercy of a garbage CCTV system and the kindness of strangers. He made the right call.

I did once when i was visiting my brother in NC a couple years ago - was driving a rental and some douchebag in a pickup was tailgating me, driving aggressively, and flashing his high beams. Dialed 911, pulled into a gas station right up by the doors, guy pulled in beside me and I kept my doors locked and gave them all the vehicle details. Cops show up, guy gets pissed and starts ranting about how I supposedly "cut him off" and "was speeding and weaving between lanes" even though it didn't happen. Gave cops my info, told them what happened, they pulled the dude's license and wouldn't you know...he just got it back after a suspension for failure to appear in court for another driving violation months before :downs:. Felt good seeing that rear end in a top hat get cuffed and stuffed.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

2nd car was a 92 Lincoln Towncar. It would do 120 no problem and from a stop I could just mash the gas and do rolling burnouts.
Probably not the best car for a teenager to have but drat was it fun.

One of the best parts was seating for 6 and another 6 in the trunk.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

I really need a street-legal BTR-90.

The correct answer to a multitude of problems.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xergm posted:

Already posted

I missed it in all the cruise control chat. :shobon:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/ideD9k0.gifv
http://i.imgur.com/r8mF9Bz.gifv

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Cruise control chat cont: Toyota has the best control stick. I wish it was the standard for every vehicle.

For hills, I learned early on to anticipate and apply throttle gently to keep it from kicking down unnecessarily. With a little practice you can keep the car just over or at the set speed on almost any incline.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Source video pretty please!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

dee eight posted:

Cruise control chat cont: Toyota has the best control stick. I wish it was the standard for every vehicle.

The only modern Toyota I've spent a considerable amount of time with is a first-gen Highlander, and its cruise stalk was the worst one I've ever used. Mounted to the wheel itself and so low that it hit my legs during steering. Kia Spectras had a similar one which had the same problem.

I'll take wheel face buttons over any stalk any day, but if you're going to do a stalk attach it to the drat column not the wheel.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

dee eight posted:

For hills, I learned early on to anticipate and apply throttle gently to keep it from kicking down unnecessarily. With a little practice you can keep the car just over or at the set speed on almost any incline.

+1. My first CC was on a friend's Toyota and I took for granted how intuitive it was. On every car owned/borrowed since I feel like the designers/engineers just chucked buttons all over the steering wheel haphazardly.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

dee eight posted:

Amateur cruise control that only has a maximum mode and no minimum.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

CharlieWhiskey posted:

the designers/engineers just chucked buttons all over the steering wheel haphazardly.

I hate this poo poo. I like to be able to operate all the switchs and buttons without looking at them.

And the cruise stalk on my corolla is always at my fingertips even when I'm turning. I like it just fine.

digger_smolkin
Feb 23, 2007

Any Problem Solved

Is A New Problem Made
Best cruise ever was on my old '80 280ZX. On/off button and 'Set' button, that's it, on a 5-speed manual no less. Even when going well past the 85mph speedo, it would keep whatever moon speed you were doing.

My 94 f250's CC is alright, classic Ford steering wheel buttons, ergonomic enough. It was only after installing an EGT gauge that I realized that it will try to melt my inconel exhaust valves at highway speeds if I'm not careful on hills.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Empty highway yesterday, I'm cruising the right most lane. Catch up to and pass a car sitting in the passing (left lane) doing 5 under the limit. That prompted them to speed up, cut me off, and slam on the brakes and give me the finger.

Jesus christ.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SyHopeful posted:

Source video pretty please!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pCfXNp6-VQ

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
wow any sympathy I had for that guy is gone now after seeing the video. I love how it slowly sinks at the end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Long Francesco posted:

wow any sympathy I had for that guy is gone now after seeing the video. I love how it slowly sinks at the end.

He put on the hazard lights. That’s got to count for something.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

He put on the hazard lights. That’s got to count for something.

Looks like they came on a few seconds after he got out. Something got wet enough to trigger some automatic "oh gently caress" mode.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Entirely unsurprised to hear "blyat, yobani vrot!" As soon as he went through the ice :haw:

(gently caress! For fucks sake! Though it translates more directly as "bitch! loving in the mouth!" Iirc)

MrLogan posted:

Empty highway yesterday, I'm cruising the right most lane. Catch up to and pass a car sitting in the passing (left lane) doing 5 under the limit. That prompted them to speed up, cut me off, and slam on the brakes and give me the finger.

Jesus christ.

Roadside executions should be legal for this poo poo

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wonder at the disconnect in someone who is aware of the "don't pass on the right" rule and are willing to risk a confrontation over it yet somehow never learned that the left lane is for passing only.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Passing in the right you say? Some bad words are spoken.

https://youtu.be/Lk6iILI0W0I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

dee eight posted:

I hate this poo poo. I like to be able to operate all the switchs and buttons without looking at them.

I had a rental Chrysler 200 a month ago and I was frustrated that I apparently had to take my hand off the steering wheel to change the stereo volume or skip tracks.

Then I found those buttons on the rear surface of the steering wheel.

It also had a dial as a gearshift. Like, a big circular knob that you turn to put it in drive or reverse. It's located right near the big circular knob that you turn to change the climate control fan speed. Seriously gently caress that car, what a useless piece of poo poo.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 11, 2016