Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

i've been throwing every ball i got at tapu lele for like 30 minutes now wtf

its at 1hp and asleep like 95% of the time :/

The best chance you have (Timer Ball, Asleep, 1HP) gives you like a 20% chance for Pokemon with a catch rate of 3. So you're just getting unlucky?

Edit: I swear I've sniped like ten pages of this thread...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Silver Falcon posted:

Thanks, both of you. :3: I would feel better about it if I could offer something, so I'll have a look at that Beast Ball/Apricorn Ball spreadsheet tomorrow and see if I can get some things folks don't have yet!

Note Block, do you still need a Marrill in a Lure Ball?

My columns are out of date but I'll be sure to update them tomorrow!

I am champing at the bit to breed :perfect: Lure ball Marill for myself and all goons, it is the perfect ball for the perfect Pokemon. If no one has any by Saturday I'm just going to use my own ball and make the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

what's the best Pokemon for a Heavy Ball? I think I'm going to contribute to the Goon Ball Project after my finals are over, so is there anything in particular I should go after?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Carlosologist posted:

what's the best Pokemon for a Heavy Ball? I think I'm going to contribute to the Goon Ball Project after my finals are over, so is there anything in particular I should go after?

Necrozma, since it fits the reflective prism theme.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
This is a dumb question, but all of this talk about matching mons to certain balls is purely cosmetic right?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Scoss posted:

This is a dumb question, but all of this talk about matching mons to certain balls is purely cosmetic right?

you're right

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why does Necrozma slap itself in the face for one of its attack animations?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Carlosologist posted:

I think it looks pretty good for Magnezone.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Emalde posted:

I'd say Celesteela, but neither of them can breed so that's not a very good answer :v:

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Why does Necrozma slap itself in the face for one of its attack animations?

it looks like gladion when it does that which is pretty neat.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Senerio posted:

I took Professor Oak's advice.

i love everything about this picture

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What's a good nature for Tapu Fini?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Senerio posted:

I took Professor Oak's advice.

I'm the Caterpie.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
im the 11 popplios

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

One of these things is not like the others.

FishBulb posted:

Modest. It has decent speed but I find its better when it has some bulk and power to throw around with a max HP and Spa investment.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Not pictured: The Celesteela being several stories taller than the rest of those little dudes.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Would anybody mind trading me an Oranguru and Drampa? They don't need to be special I just have Sun and everyone on GTS wants a drat milotic for them. All I have of value is Miniors in beast balls with great IVs in everything but speed and Cubones built the same way. I'm making a trick room team.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

JackDarko posted:

Would anybody mind trading me an Oranguru and Drampa? They don't need to be special I just have Sun and everyone on GTS wants a drat milotic for them. All I have of value is Miniors in beast balls with great IVs in everything but speed and Cubones built the same way. I'm making a trick room team.

I'm not entirely sure Minior's are a good idea for Trick Room...

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Supremezero posted:

I'm not entirely sure Minior's are a good idea for Trick Room...

Oh I also have Miniors with perfect Speed to act as a back up when the trick room went to poo poo. I've done a lot of breeding.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FishBulb posted:

Well it depends on several factors, what role you want it play, whether the format you plan on using it in is singles or doubles, the moveset you want it to have, and its teammates. But generally, Modest or Timid might be good for it.

If you're not actually gonna use it competitively, it doesn't matter. It'll just rot in a box somewhere.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hey, my powerful legendaries and dimensional beasts are digging out rocks in a cave and that's the way they likes it.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

One of those things gets tail wind and 100% accurate sleep powder.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's actually only 97.5% accurate, which can lead to some hilarious(ly awful) blowouts.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

It's actually only 97.5% accurate, which can lead to some hilarious(ly awful) blowouts.

Multiplicative? Harsh, Gamefreak.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gosliopod in a nutshell

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Emalde posted:

One of those things gets tail wind and 100% accurate sleep powder.

It also gets rage powder apparently. Guy just used it as a poor man's Amoonguss.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah I suppose Butterfree would be a passable replacement for the Moongus in VGC huh. Not anywhere near as durable though.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
These stupid loving Grimers won't give me Black Sludge god damnit

e: My stupid rear end had an item equipped :downs:

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Dec 9, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For some reason I assumed Kartana's physical and special defense were the same. Turns out it actually has way lower special defense. So low that all this time I could of been OHKOing it with a loving pollen puff from Ribombee :regd09:

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Internet Kraken posted:

For some reason I assumed Kartana's physical and special defense were the same. Turns out it actually has way lower special defense. So low that all this time I could of been OHKOing it with a loving pollen puff from Ribombee :regd09:
I'm thinking this is one of the reasons I can't ever trade the thing in GTS--no one would want a UB with a base SpD of like 32.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

That Old Ganon posted:

I'm thinking this is one of the reasons I can't ever trade the thing in GTS--no one would want a UB with a base SpD of like 32.

they want guzzlord

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Led off with a Toxapex in Battle Royal. All of a sudden the AI has stopped attacking me :iiam:

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Emalde posted:

*refractive

:eng101:

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm the Caterpie.

I'm the Sassy

Lazerbeam
Feb 4, 2011

PenguinKnight posted:

wow castform really is a pokedex meal ticket :stare:

I'm up to 50% thanks to that guy :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Managed to get a streak of 100 going in the singles Battle Tree. Only 100 more battles to go for the 2nd berry! :shepicide:

This was the team I used for the Battle Tree. They all have 31 IVs in everything, though Celesteela had to be Hyper Trained.

code:
Dragonite @Lum Berry
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Speed
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Roost

Celesteela @Leftovers
Nature: Careful (+Sp. Def, -Sp. Atk)
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Sp.Def
-Protect
-Leech Seed
-Heavy Slam
-Flamethrower

Alolan Marowak @Thick Club
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk)
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP/16 Atk/112 Sp.Def/132 Speed
-Flare Blitz
-Earthquake
-Shadow Bone
-Toxic
This team was a lot different when I started out (My initial team was Primarina, Toxapex, and Porygon-Z. It got horrifically walled by any Magnezone.) Later I changed it to Dragonite, Celesteela, and Porygon-Z. Except I still had problems with Electric attacks, as several of them take out Celesteela way too easily, and was the main reason I lost a lot of my streaks. So I put in a Lightning Rod Alolan Marowak as a way to deal with that.

Dragonite with Lum Berry is the lead. The Lum Berry lets me set up Dragon Dances safely. Or if my opponent didn't opt to use any status effects, the Lum Berry immediately clears up the Confusion from the Outrage, which lets me use Outrage again, use Earthquake, or lets me switch to another teammate to deal with the situation. (I felt the Confusion nerf in a lot of battles. Even when I was fine with sacrificing Dragonite in situations where the self damage would have taken it out, it managed to attack most of the time.) If mine gets off 2 Dragon Dances, it'll be able to outspeed every single Pokemon in the entire tree, so if that happened, the opponent couldn't do anything about it most of the time. Originally I had Fire Punch in the last slot, but I replaced it with Roost since there weren't too many situations where I really needed it. Roost is really good, as that lets it reactivate Multiscale, and gives it a lot more bulk to deal with things. Getting rid of Flying's weaknesses was also handy in a bunch of battles. Multiscale was a huge factor in letting Dragonite do its thing, as it lets it survive a lot of moves it couldn't normally. Even a few Ice moves couldn't OHKO it, but there were a few others that were capable of doing so. At which point, I just switched to my other team members.

I had Celesteela purely built for defense, as I mainly used it as a way to stall out my opponents. (Here are 2 battle videos of that in action. K5RG-WWWW-WWW2-M5EZ and 7NFW-WWWW-WWW2-MCM3) Leech Seed, Protect, and Leftovers restores a decent chunk of Celesteela's HP over 2 turns, and most of the stuff I sent it out on couldn't outpace that much healing. Heavy Slam pretty much always hits 120 BP on the stuff that matters, and I mainly used it as a way to take out any Fairies that threatened Dragonite. Despite no EV investment in its Attack, it was able to deal a decent amount of damage to the stuff I wanted it to take out. Flamethrower doesn't get used as often, but its good if I need a special attack to deal with something, and does take out special walls a lot more easily. Unfortunately, Beast Boost doesn't activate if Leech Seed gets the kill, so I do try to go for the kill if it doesn't mean Celesteela will get taken out easily within the same turn. The way I have Celesteela built means that Beast Boost increases its Special Defense for every kill, which is fairly handy since there aren't too many physical Electric attacks out there, and there are way more special Fire attacks than physical. Despite the decrease in Special attack due to the nature, it really didn't matter in a lot of cases, as Flamethrower was able to pick up the kills when it had to.

Alolan Marowak was a good way to clean up any survivors, and had a good set of resistances that complimented my team. It also turns out that the AI doesn't know if your Pokemon has an ability that negates a type, as I've had a lot of opponents try to use Electric attacks on it. :laugh: Lightning Rod also blocks Thunder Wave, so it was a good way of dealing with that. I went with a much more defensive build, as that let it survive OHKOs and turn 2KOs into 3KOs. I would have preferred Fire Punch over Flare Blitz, but that's currently an illegal egg move. :argh: But Flare Blitz, Earthquake, and Shadow Bone were all decent coverage options. Toxic was kind of there, but I couldn't think of a better 4th move for it. But it was handy enough if I needed to outstall something that kept spamming recovery moves (that weren't Rest) constantly. (For Chesto Resto sets, I just ensure that Rest gets activated twice, and then switch in something that can take it out in 2 turns. Or just use that time to set up, and then sweep the rest of their team.) I didn't invest a lot of EVs into attack, as Thick Club made up for a lot of that, and I wasn't trying to make Marowak an offensive sweeper. It's just too slow for that.

Unlike in the main story, the AI does not try to predict at all. In fact, it's noticeably worse in a lot of cases, as the Battle Tree AI has a lot of the same behaviors as it did in the Battle Maison. It always goes for the status attack on the first turn if it can, and always tries to go for an OHKO, even if it's using a bad move to do so. (This Smogon article goes into a lot of the AI's behaviors, and most of it applies to the Battle Tree as well.)

I highly recommend playing defensively instead of offensively, because just going all in on offense leaves no room for mistakes, and can cause your strategy to crumble in a lot of cases. Alolan Marowak wouldn't be contributing as much if I went with the standard 252/252/4 EV spread. Also Singles is by far the hardest format to streak in. If you're looking to go to 200 for the berry, you might have more luck in Doubles. Sadly, the easiest way to get that streak (Triple Battles) are gone in Sun and Moon, so you'll have to make do.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 9, 2016

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

corn on the cop posted:

Led off with a Toxapex in Battle Royal. All of a sudden the AI has stopped attacking me :iiam:

Toxapex is a great way to get 0 deaths and 0 kills. Turns out that's not a great strategy.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
could someone post the link to the beast ball google spreadsheet again? after work I'll finally have time to finish up my pokedex (just need to catch all the Tapus and UBs for the shiny charm) then I'm going pokeball catching. I got a Beast Ball Passimian and a Poliwag I'm gonna start getting egg moves on afterwards.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Desperate Character posted:

could someone post the link to the beast ball google spreadsheet again? after work I'll finally have time to finish up my pokedex (just need to catch all the Tapus and UBs for the shiny charm) then I'm going pokeball catching. I got a Beast Ball Passimian and a Poliwag I'm gonna start getting egg moves on afterwards.

Here you go.

Also remember, if you're interested in Beast Balls, getting the last UB (Guzzlord) from a trade will allow you to let the mission stay unfinished and thus get infinite Beast Balls. You miss out on a million pokebucks, but it might be worth it. Even if you prefer completing the quest, remember that you can put Beast Balls on your banked mons until your inventory is empty and you'll receive 10 more balls, you could abuse this to end up with more than the normal ~40 after completing the quest.

felch me daddy jr. fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 9, 2016

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Note Block posted:

My columns are out of date but I'll be sure to update them tomorrow!

I am champing at the bit to breed :perfect: Lure ball Marill for myself and all goons, it is the perfect ball for the perfect Pokemon. If no one has any by Saturday I'm just going to use my own ball and make the ultimate sacrifice for the greater good.

Hmm. They're a Saturday Island Scan. I'm going to be busy on Saturday, so I'm not sure I'll have time to track one down. I'll do Beast Balls instead. No one has done Corsola or Klefki yet, looks like. I'll go for 'em.

One thing to consider is that a lot of Pokemon are available in Apricorn Balls in HG and SS, and since they changed how Pokeball inheritance works, that means male, male-only, and genderless Pokemon caught in Apricorn Balls in HG/SS can be brought up to SuMo once Bank updates.

For instance, I have tons of Heavy Ball Skarmories just sitting in Bank. Might be best to focus on new Pokemon for the Apricorn Ball project, or ones that were unavailable in HG/SS.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I hope someone does a Scyther/Pinsir box project, since they're the only pokémon to be available in every single ball type.