Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
Really jazzed about this direction for X-O.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

So far Matt Kindt can do no wrong in regards to Valiant. Happy to see him taking Aric into deep space.

Badass design art here: http://www.cbr.com/x-o-manowar-character-designs-valiant-exclusive/

*updates pull list accordingly*

edit: I really need to dump these lame x-books i'm reading out of loyalty and just go ~all in~ on Image and Valiant.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

algebra testes posted:

go ~all in~ on Image

Unless you're rich, and also like a number of bad books as well as good ones that's going to be a tough thing to pull off.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also I'm catching up on like, 5 issues but was pretty cool seeing the Main Story and the Backup Stories intertwine at the end of that arc for Ninjak. I know it's like, storytelling 101 but Ninjak is probably my favorite book right now, with Bloodshot right behind (Bloodshot dog best dog!!)

X-O posted:

Unless you're rich, and also like a number of bad books as well as good ones that's going to be a tough thing to pull off.

drat I got got there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wrath of the Eternal Warrior is extremely good so far, I just finished #5 & #6 and am compelled to make a post about it. I love that this book has answered a long time question in a way that completely re-contextualizes Gilad (in a super depressing way as well!)

Gilad Anni-Padda isn't my number one favorite Valiant character (that's Archer) but he's probably their best character.

Also Dead Drop is indeed really bad in terms of characterization and plot. Great art though.

I think my initial bias vs. Valiant artists is actually just an anti-Khari Evans bias. I will say though I was a huge fan of his work on X-Force, I didn't love Crain on Rai. I love super clean art with flat colors (Paolo Rivera on The Valiant :swoon: )and the art on Rai was too busy for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm reading the Analog Man TPB and is this supposed to be like OML where it's not in continuity or what.

This is continuity nitpicking stuff, but were all the Book of the Dead tie ins supposed to be different universes, or all happening in the post Darque-steals-the-Geomancer-powers universe that was eventually averted? Because they don't really gibe with the apocalyptic future foretold in the BoD main series (which was excellent of course)

Valiant has a lot of contradictory futures, it seems.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
God I'm an idiot, I didn't realise that Deathmate was an established Valiant property.

I should have known, it's just enough of a goofy 90s name that it should have been a dead give away.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

I'm reading the Analog Man TPB and is this supposed to be like OML where it's not in continuity or what.

This is continuity nitpicking stuff, but were all the Book of the Dead tie ins supposed to be different universes, or all happening in the post Darque-steals-the-Geomancer-powers universe that was eventually averted? Because they don't really gibe with the apocalyptic future foretold in the BoD main series (which was excellent of course)

Valiant has a lot of contradictory futures, it seems.

Keep reading

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PRS :argh:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Harbinger Renegade 2 is substantially less poo poo than the first one. Hopefully it just means that the writer is bad at setting the scene and is okay at general plotting and dialogue. I'm interested what will happen. Depictions of the general setting have barely recognised Peter exists, and he doesn't have the ambition or intellect of Harada so I'm curious whether he'll do more than serve as a boss for Harada to run over - which is a funny thing for a villain to do, but that's their relationship so far.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Harbinger Renegade 2 is substantially less poo poo than the first one. Hopefully it just means that the writer is bad at setting the scene and is okay at general plotting and dialogue. I'm interested what will happen. Depictions of the general setting have barely recognised Peter exists, and he doesn't have the ambition or intellect of Harada so I'm curious whether he'll do more than serve as a boss for Harada to run over - which is a funny thing for a villain to do, but that's their relationship so far.

Huh? The last time they met they were complete equals

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Huh? The last time they met they were complete equals

Peter hasn't really proved victorious in terms of overall goals, however. He's upset Harada's plans and accelerated his timetable, but hasn't ever taken Harada out of a position of power. Or so I think, I'm not sure what's been happening in the universe since the last Imperium issue.

Also Stalinverse #1 was sick.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Neurosis posted:

Peter hasn't really proved victorious in terms of overall goals, however. He's upset Harada's plans and accelerated his timetable, but hasn't ever taken Harada out of a position of power. Or so I think, I'm not sure what's been happening in the universe since the last Imperium issue.

Also Stalinverse #1 was sick.

He sort of did as he brought him out to the open, and destroyed his empire. The bleeding monk said they need to both stop, and Peter listened while Harada said gently caress that and thats what led to Imperium.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Divinity III, Bloodshot USA, Faith, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Generation Zero... Valiant's not losing any steam!

(A+A and Ninjak are alright, but aren't leading the pack IMO. Brittania is bland and Savage needs another issue to develop its story, which right now is mostly mystery and fierce dinosaurs)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Divinity III, Bloodshot USA, Faith, Eternal Warrior, Harbinger, Generation Zero... Valiant's not losing any steam!

(A+A and Ninjak are alright, but aren't leading the pack IMO. Brittania is bland and Savage needs another issue to develop its story, which right now is mostly mystery and fierce dinosaurs)

Eternal warrior is done :(

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Eternal warrior is done :(

True, but next time Valiant offers a line-wide sale, I want goons to drop some buckazoids on Gilad's series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I finally forced myself to finish Shadowman and man... what a frustrating series. It's not even horrible, but goes on this weird journey where it starts out okay and buries itself at any attempt to improve itself.

The first volume is okay for what it is. It's a by-the-numbers origin story in a by-the-numbers occult comic. It has its moments. Then the second volume builds on that and tells a pretty good story with a fun villain and wild card antihero (again, Baron Samedi would have made for a far more interesting protagonist). It's just that the story is off for being the cumulative climax despite being the second arc. The Shadowman vs. Darque war is over before it can begin.

Makes it odd that the next volume has Darque's origin when he's not much of a factor anymore. The rest of the volume is made up of throwaway stories that I barely even remember.

So then Milligan takes over and tries to make Shadowman compelling. The best he can come up with is the "my dark power is alive and it controls me what do I do" trope and considering my avatar, it says something when even I was rolling my eyes. The minor stuff we got to see about the Loa itself and its rivalry with the other Loas was cool poo poo and it got thrown right into the background so we could get some more from Jack and his boring supporting cast. Being whiny is one thing, but being whiny while the entire city is being torn to pieces by a demonic spirit is just stupid.

"I could go save everyone from this horrific presence feasting on the fear of everything, but that's what the Loa wants me to do and I don't know... I'm going to go demand forgiveness from a guy I hospitalized instead."

Then we get the final volume, End Times and holy poo poo. I know comic books muck up continuity and create retcons all the time, but don't write a story about Jack's father faking his own death when they already had a loving scene about Jack talking to his tired ghost IN THE FIRST STORY! Like, that was the best scene in the first volume and now it's swept under the rug so that Jack and his dad can whine about how much being Shadowman sucks and how everything in this book sucks and why are you even reading this.

Valiant does a great job of giving us flawed heroes and understandable villains to the point that one of their top heroes is a rapist who robs people to feed his drug addiction, but Jack is such a wiener. For the first half of the run, he's bland, but then he becomes completely unlikable and not in a way that I feel interested in reading about.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
Every single page of Deadside in the other Valiant books is better than the entirety of that Shadowman run.

Any word on more Doctor Mirage or did it not sell enough?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

I finally forced myself to finish Shadowman and man... what a frustrating series. It's not even horrible, but goes on this weird journey where it starts out okay and buries itself at any attempt to improve itself.

The first volume is okay for what it is. It's a by-the-numbers origin story in a by-the-numbers occult comic. It has its moments. Then the second volume builds on that and tells a pretty good story with a fun villain and wild card antihero (again, Baron Samedi would have made for a far more interesting protagonist). It's just that the story is off for being the cumulative climax despite being the second arc. The Shadowman vs. Darque war is over before it can begin.

Makes it odd that the next volume has Darque's origin when he's not much of a factor anymore. The rest of the volume is made up of throwaway stories that I barely even remember.

So then Milligan takes over and tries to make Shadowman compelling. The best he can come up with is the "my dark power is alive and it controls me what do I do" trope and considering my avatar, it says something when even I was rolling my eyes. The minor stuff we got to see about the Loa itself and its rivalry with the other Loas was cool poo poo and it got thrown right into the background so we could get some more from Jack and his boring supporting cast. Being whiny is one thing, but being whiny while the entire city is being torn to pieces by a demonic spirit is just stupid.

"I could go save everyone from this horrific presence feasting on the fear of everything, but that's what the Loa wants me to do and I don't know... I'm going to go demand forgiveness from a guy I hospitalized instead."

Then we get the final volume, End Times and holy poo poo. I know comic books muck up continuity and create retcons all the time, but don't write a story about Jack's father faking his own death when they already had a loving scene about Jack talking to his tired ghost IN THE FIRST STORY! Like, that was the best scene in the first volume and now it's swept under the rug so that Jack and his dad can whine about how much being Shadowman sucks and how everything in this book sucks and why are you even reading this.

Valiant does a great job of giving us flawed heroes and understandable villains to the point that one of their top heroes is a rapist who robs people to feed his drug addiction, but Jack is such a wiener. For the first half of the run, he's bland, but then he becomes completely unlikable and not in a way that I feel interested in reading about.

So what you're saying is,

#GiveGavinJasperShadowman

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

So what you're saying is,

#GiveGavinJasperShadowman

What? No!

#GiveGavinJasperBaronSamedi

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Ok then I can write Shadowman, and whoever gets fired first wins.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
I feel like there was a fun meta narrative by Valiant when they locked up Shadowman for a couple years as a punishment for his terrible series.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am loving Divinity III thus far, I want a Red Legend book now. I realize Kindt can't possibly write everything, but come on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Milligan and Ryp are doing another Britannia four issue mini. I really liked the first one.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah, I liked it too. It was good to finally see Milligan writing something good for the first time in a while. Especially after his Shadowman run which is still probably the worst thing the new Valiant has put out.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ryp's really good at the sword and sandals stuff, he also drew the first part of Wrath of the Eternal Warrior, the parts where Gilad was chasing after his son in Ur.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've said it several times before, but I'll say it again. I really really really want a Roku solo comic.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Agreed, I have enjoyed her appearences in Ninjak greatly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah I'm finding that I really want some solo spotlight on a lot of supporting characters in the Valiant books right now.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Yeah I'm finding that I really want some solo spotlight on a lot of supporting characters in the Valiant books right now.

I'm far enough into my read-through of Valiant that I just finished Armor Hunters. So not knowing if he's been killed off yet or not, I want a Vagabond miniseries.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

I'm far enough into my read-through of Valiant that I just finished Armor Hunters. So not knowing if he's been killed off yet or not, I want a Vagabond miniseries.

Armor Hunters is still my favorite thing Valiant has done. It's one of my favorite crossovers ever from any company.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

YESSSSS! Fred Van Lente is going to be writing Armstrong, Ivar, and Gilad again!

It's only a one shot, but I hope for more if it proves popular.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

X-O posted:

YESSSSS! Fred Van Lente is going to be writing Armstrong, Ivar, and Gilad again!

It's only a one shot, but I hope for more if it proves popular.

Oh my dude I am mighty down for this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Just read Britannia from last year. Liked it quite a bit, reminded me of the Caligula miniseries. Will be interested to see if and how they integrate the protagonist into the Valiant Universe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Question. I finished Quantum and Woody volume 3 and it says they'll return in the Delinquents. The Reddit reading list says to read Quantum and Woody Must Die next.

Which one do I read first?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't think it matters.

I read Must Die first fwiw, but the Delinquents arc is pretty much its own thing.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Gavok posted:

Question. I finished Quantum and Woody volume 3 and it says they'll return in the Delinquents. The Reddit reading list says to read Quantum and Woody Must Die next.

Which one do I read first?

Must Die is an actual continuation of the Quantum and Woody story. Delinquents is a team-up book with Archer and Armstrong. You can read them in either order. The "Valiant Sized Special" comes before Must Die though and should be read first. Delinquents was released first, but I don't think there's anything in there that needs to be read before Must Die.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

April solicits for Valiant say that Gen Zero #9 is the final issue, did we know it was cancelled yet?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

X-O posted:

Must Die is an actual continuation of the Quantum and Woody story. Delinquents is a team-up book with Archer and Armstrong. You can read them in either order. The "Valiant Sized Special" comes before Must Die though and should be read first. Delinquents was released first, but I don't think there's anything in there that needs to be read before Must Die.

Luckily, the Valiant Sized Special is at the very beginning of the Must Die trade.

I ended up reading Delinquents first and I feel it fits better. It plays up on their new role as heroic bounty hunters, which ultimately falls apart in Must Die. Plus Must Die ends on a couple cliffhangers that don't work as well if you read Delinquents second, especially with the Goat.

Also, I was kind of impressed with the final scene from Must Die. The discussion about the girlfriend could have easily been played for laughs and while it's still a humorous scene, it's more of a cliffhanger about how Quantum truly reacts as well as tying into the series' theme of identity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Stalinverse #2 answering the nerd internet battle of whether Ninjak could beat Bloodshot with preparation. The answer is yes God I love Valiant. It's so consistently good.