Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Same sort of thing so if you liked one you should like the other. Its the normal game which is just bunch of Scenarios and the campaign where you fight ww1 or the Baltic. The campaign is honestly spoiled by the AI and it's tendency to send out the battle line with 1/4 of its DDs leading to massive defeats but the non-jutland style battles are much better.

A multiplayer campaign would be intense but the AI just isn't quite there.

Saros fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I wish it was a little cheaper, I'd like to play some of the scenarios. I'll just start another campaign in RtW instead.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Wasn't Korsun Pocket designed by a guy who worked for an outfit called People's Wargaming? I feel you could tap into a niche with leftist wargaming

Phi230 posted:

Oh fuckin put me into leftist wargaming

This is where I give my yearly shoutout to Jack Radey, wargame designer for the proletariat.

http://www.c3iopscenter.com/documents/F&M%20Interview%20Jack%20Radey.pdf

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

dtkozl posted:

i continuously balk at bruce geryk's (3 moves ahead guy) political tweets but so far ive stayed strong. this isnt a hobby for people who cant let a little open white supremacy slide now and again

I agree, gently caress that conservative neo-nazi with his retweeting anti-racism go fund me sites and such.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah the designers notes for TS explicitly spell out that they know its bullshit and they were trying to create a fun game that made you feel like you're watching a hyperbolic 50s newsreel rather than a simulation of the actual cold war.

Another part of what's going on there is trying to put the players into the mindset of the actual decisionmakers, so that you'll end up making decisions that look somewhat like what the actual people involved did.

There was a podcast (three moves ahead?) which mentioned a Civil War boardgame giving Washington DC almost no defenses, instead of the huge system of forts it had in reality. That was so that the Union player would be as paranoid as the actual Union commanders, even though in reality the prospects of a sudden Confederate decapitation strike were pretty slim.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

That said whoo boy read a Phil Eklund rulebook if you want in on Ayn Rand's Wild Ride

e: and yeah that was Mark Herman's For The People, I think it was mentioned on 3MA

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

SlyFrog posted:

I agree, gently caress that conservative neo-nazi with his retweeting anti-racism go fund me sites and such.

I found his retweeting of cat pictures to be the most offensive.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Happy Hedonist posted:

Is steam and iron worth a purchase after playing the hell out of rule the waves?

I have the Russo-Japanese War version which I have been playing quite a bit recently - it's good to be able to play through a simple campaign without having to bother with all the extra stuff in RTW.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Yooper posted:

What happened? All I can piece together is he sold the distro rights to some Russians and they shafted him. You think he could get it back and Steam release it himself?

I think he sold Storm Eagle in its entirety, including those games and the rights to them. The Russian guys he sold them to literally patched Jutland, completely breaking it, and didn't fix it for years.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Is the Heroes of Notmandy game from Matrix worth the 20 bux? I mean it looks like something I would like but I was wondering, what's the catch?

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum

Stago Lego posted:

Is the Heroes of Notmandy game from Matrix worth the 20 bux? I mean it looks like something I would like but I was wondering, what's the catch?

The catch is there isn't much there and they are hoping to do a billion paid dlcs like panzer corps to make it worth it but so far they haven't even managed to do that much. I did 1 multi game and the scene seemed really small. You can make your own scenarios though.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Matrix is having a really good sale running through Jan. 8

http://www.matrixgames.com/amazon/wintersales/Matrix%20Christmas%20Sale%202016.pdf

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

And of course, it's a pdf :eng99:

Edit:CMANO for 65% off? :getin:

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You know it'll be the same or cheaper on Steam!

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It was the same on Steam in the fall sale and prob will be over Xmas.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

PleasingFungus posted:

Another part of what's going on there is trying to put the players into the mindset of the actual decisionmakers, so that you'll end up making decisions that look somewhat like what the actual people involved did.

There was a podcast (three moves ahead?) which mentioned a Civil War boardgame giving Washington DC almost no defenses, instead of the huge system of forts it had in reality. That was so that the Union player would be as paranoid as the actual Union commanders, even though in reality the prospects of a sudden Confederate decapitation strike were pretty slim.

I used to live next to one of these. The battery positions still exist, albeit as an enormously overgrown mass of thicket.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Is the Japanese AI usually this bad at attacking Pearl Harbor, or did I just get lucky?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LostCosmonaut posted:

Is the Japanese AI usually this bad at attacking Pearl Harbor, or did I just get lucky?

Usually pretty bad, but may be confirmation bias from my many attempts.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I lost 3 BBs in my game iirc so you are at least a bit lucky

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Fuligin posted:

I used to live next to one of these. The battery positions still exist, albeit as an enormously overgrown mass of thicket.

Cool!

LostCosmonaut posted:

A date which will live in infamy: on this day, a dozen brave americans lost their lives...

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

PleasingFungus posted:

Cool!

A date which will live in infamy: on this day, a dozen brave americans lost their lives...

Those battleships will be out of action for weeks!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Finished the current EA part of Ultimate General Civil War as the Confederates. Antietam is going to really kick you in the rear end until you learn how the scenario works.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

ZekeNY posted:

Those battleships will be out of action for weeks!

As of 12/25, the Nevada's already back. PoW and Repulse also survived, though the PoW got hosed up pretty hard (worse than any of the American BBs, Repulse ate 1 torp and about 10 flotation damage)

Speaking of Christmas;

:geert::hf::britain::hf::patriot:

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 11, 2016

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

ABDA Bros ride together die together

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Matrix is having a really good sale running through Jan. 8

ZekeNY posted:

Edit:CMANO for 65% off? :getin:

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

You guys/everyone needs to make sure you create an account at Slitherine/Matrix (it's a combined account now) and register any game keys from their games against your account. Preferably create the account this time of year, and each year you'll get an account anniversary coupon that stacks on whatever the current store price is (i.e. launch discount or sales).

So if you do it in December, you'll get that coupon when their xmas sales are on, and as mentioned it stacks. 65% is good, but getting even more on top of that initial discount feels even better. As a more extreme example, this year mine was 47%, but only so high for me because I already have a heap of games registered, but obviously it builds up (I believe the maximum possible is 50%). Northern Inferno cost me $6, and paying $17 for the Collector's Edition version of Sengoku Jidai felt pretty good.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I have one but I don't want most games they offer. I'm a filthy casual who will now return to his Call of Duty.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Will they give you a steam key for Northern Inferno? I was looking at their site and there isn't a "get steam key" link for it. I bought Command on steam and I don't want to have to keep track of what expansion I bought where.

I'm still playing Strategic Command 3 and it's still good. It and Command have been eating up all my gaming time.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have one but I don't want most games they offer. I'm a filthy casual who will now return to his Hearts of Iron IV

Happy Hedonist posted:

Will they give you a steam key for Northern Inferno?

Any game that looks like this:

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/589/Command:.Northern.Inferno.
http://www.slitherine.com/products/589/details/Command:.Northern.Inferno.

With a "Get this game on Steam" actually comes with a steam key when you buy it from Slitherine/Matrix. So you get the key-requiring but otherwise DRM-free game from them which you can download and play on it's own, and then you'll either find (with newer games, Northern Inferno counts) that very same key working direct into Steam, or you'll have to just click the "Generate Steam Key" link or whatever it's called in your account games list once you register the game with your account. (I use the Slitherine interface just because it's easier, I'm actually not sure how it works under the Matrix site).

Yes, I don't understand why that "Get this game on Steam" thing actually takes you away from their store and to Steam instead of just making it clear that you get a Steam key with a purchase from their site. I don't know the logistics of it all but surely it's just denying them money if they redirect you to buy it through Steam, I really don't know.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

markgreyam posted:

You guys/everyone needs to make sure you create an account at Slitherine/Matrix (it's a combined account now) and register any game keys from their games against your account. Preferably create the account this time of year, and each year you'll get an account anniversary coupon that stacks on whatever the current store price is (i.e. launch discount or sales).

Sure, it stacks, but is there a flanking bonus?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I played a turn of eots and now I really want to buy warplan pacific someone please talk me out of this

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stairmaster posted:

I played a turn of eots and now I really want to buy warplan pacific someone please talk me out of this

Warplan pacific is really not that good and feels more like a land game than anything else.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Stairmaster posted:

Warplan Pacific is garbage, for the same price you can get War In The Pacific: Admiral Edition on sale right now from Matrix Games and it is infinitely better

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

COOL CORN posted:

Warplan Pacific is garbage, for the same price you can get War In The Pacific: Admiral Edition on sale right now from Matrix Games and it is infinitely better

I did this and now i'm being ruined by the first turn.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Start with a small scenario first. The UI has a learning curve that the trillion units in the main campaign exacerbates.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Start with a small scenario first. The UI has a learning curve that the trillion units in the main campaign exacerbates.

Speaking of first turn blues, anyone got a link to one of the "quiet China" scenarios? I don't much feel like microing around a bunch of junk units over half a continent.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Quiet China should already be an scenario in game at the new scenario screen unless I am thinking of something else.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I have scenarios 1-6, not seeing a quiet China scenario. Maybe I somehow hosed up my install. :iiam:

edit: Updating fixed it :downs:

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Dec 13, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

I would love for a game like WPP to be good but it's just way too simple and uninteresting.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm just starting to learn and doing just the Coral Sea scenario over and over, each time trying something a little different and watching the outcome. I've got the basics down, even if I have no clue what I'm doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yooper posted:

I'm just starting to learn and doing just the Coral Sea scenario over and over, each time trying something a little different and watching the outcome. I've got the basics down, even if I have no clue what I'm doing.

I'd say that the Coral Sea scenario actually isn't that good except as learning how to control the game through its UI - a lot of WITP comes down to identifying axes of strategic advance, concentrating forces into marshalling yards, setting up logistics chains to feed operations, and executing those moves over the course of multiple months. Coral Sea starts off with 90% of that stuff already done, and you get to play out a week's worth of turns.

Guadalcanal is a little better, but even then you've got the landings already locked in, though maintaining the beach-head, setting up Henderson Field and advancing up the Solomons is far more relevant to the overall flow of the game.

To put it another way, WITP has just enough micromanagement to make you think you should be playing like you're Frank Jack Fletcher or Chuichi Nagumo, when you should really be thinking like you're Yamamoto or Nimitz. It does a bad job of answering the question of what the Japanese could have done differently on June 4 1942 to change the course of Midway, because the questions it does try to answer are "what could have happened if the Japanese didn't do the Coral Sea operation to begin with and went into Midway with six carriers instead of four?", or even "should the Japanese have tried to take Midway at all?"