Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

C. Everett Koop posted:

Yeah, if Wilson really is untouchable after these allegations then you can't bring him on as a coach, but you can bring him on as one of the "coaching assistants" army that Saban has underneath him and what Sark is now. Spend some time in Saban Rehabilitation Home for Wayward TrojansCoaches and then step back into a minor role.

Counting Sark and Kiffykins for now, Saban's got what, three former HCs on staff right now? Those two and Cristobal, am I missing anyone else?

Mike Locksley too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Starting to see some chatter of Helfrich to LSU as OC. That would be interesting to say the least

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
FWIW with Wilson going to Bama I doubt it. We already have Sark, and hiring a guy that abused players and suppressed injury reports is a bit beyond hiring a jackass/a drunk. Thanks in advance to the guy that links me a bleacher report article about medical greyshirts and over-signing.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Spintzel posted:

Starting to see some chatter of Helfrich to LSU as OC. That would be interesting to say the least

Do not want.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
how dare people hold medical greyshirts and oversigning against us when the scholarship limit was literally a conspiracy to keep bama from winning in the first place

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

how dare people hold medical greyshirts and oversigning against us when the scholarship limit was literally a conspiracy to keep bama from winning in the first place

With Bear stuffing the roster with ballet-scholarship 'walk-ons,' it seems kind of justified.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Spintzel posted:

I don't think it'd work out that well

How much of his OC years were Chip actually doing the work? And how much of his HC years involved Scott Frost doing things?

They really need to talk to Lincoln Riley or Sterlin Gilbert, much better track record than Helfrich has. Maybe Rhett Lashlee, but that might not be "marquee" enough for LSU?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FB Scoops posted:

USF: South Florida has “zeroed in” on Charlie Strong and a decision could come soon, according to a report from Roy Cummings. Cummings adds that “USF is acting quickly to have him in place and contacting / reassuring recruits this weekend before the ‘dead period’ begins next week.” Cummings adds that Strong could come on the cheap, leaving Texas on the hook for the majority of his buyout.

Cincinnati: Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell and Cincinnati are in contract negotiations to make him the next head coach of the Bearcats, according to BearcatReport. The report adds that “at this time it is unclear when the deal will be complete.”

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Oh man that's a pretty perfect landing spot for Strong. Glad to see him landing an HC gig in Florida right away. I guess if it's true that Miami would've taken him last year that might've been better, but maybe not. He's not young, but if he can do well at USF there's a chance the Florida job could come open before he's too old to take it.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/807241289485848576

First comment on the tweet is pretty good

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
How do you look at this coaching marketplace and decide the best you can do is Luke loving Fickell, come on, Cincinnati.

E: and same with Applewhite, really. That seems like some dumb rich boosters falling in love with Applewhite's dumb cowboy name and the mythology that's built up around his UT career.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 9, 2016

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
One time University of Texas QB Major Applewhite came to my HS football practice and gave us the advice that we should practice hard and play good to be winners. A natural coach if ever there was one.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

What a loving uninspiring hire, jeez

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/HunterYurachek/status/807238876423213056/photo/1

It's Major Applewhite in an upset victory, because it's The Year of the Upset.

https://twitter.com/HunterYurachek/status/807241033411129349

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 9, 2016

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Also, this means Lane Kiffin is going to Baton Rouge which is also great news

And Todd Orlando will be Texas's new DC which is bad news for the rest of the Big 12

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 9, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/landgrant33/status/807248469115207680

Nooooooooooooooo

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Josh Newberg of 24/7 is saying Strong is in Tampa today, but an offer hasn't been made yet. On top of that he's adding that Taggert has reached out to Strong, asking him to come to Oregon as DC.

EDIT

Sam Kahn Jr. of ESPN posted:

New Houston coach Major Applewhite will receive a five-year contract, a source told ESPN.com. No word yet on salary or other parameters.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 9, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

How do you look at this coaching marketplace and decide the best you can do is Luke loving Fickell, come on, Cincinnati.

E: and same with Applewhite, really. That seems like some dumb rich boosters falling in love with Applewhite's dumb cowboy name and the mythology that's built up around his UT career.

God help Texas schools if someone names their kid Cowpoke Sixshooter Earp McCoy.

Texas'll end up paying him $20m/yr after the all-texan bidding war.

DJExile posted:

Josh Newberg of 24/7 is saying Strong is in Tampa today, but an offer hasn't been made yet. On top of that he's adding that Taggert has reached out to Strong, asking him to come to Oregon as DC.

I feel like Strong will take the USF job if offered, but drat the idea of Taggert/Strong at Oregon is pretty titillating.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 9, 2016

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol "who could we get that employs the exact opposite approach of what's worked for us since we moved up?"

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'd rather have Kiffin

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol "who could we get that employs the exact opposite approach of what's worked for us since we moved up?"

Taggart was running the Harbaugh/Stanford power running offense when he was at WKU so this isn't totally true, but yeah I'd think they'd want to stick with something closer to what Petrino and Brohm did since that took them to an even higher level. Just hire Brian Brohm, he was always the best Brohm anyway.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I feel like Strong will take the USF job if offered, but drat the idea of Taggert/Strong at Oregon is pretty titillating.

Yeah even if Oregon's going to be throwing around the big money they've rumored, I think Strong ultimately would rather still be a HC then go back to being a coordinator.

He'd be a hell of a DC out there though.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I'm even supportive of leaving the DC position empty if it gets Brady Hoke out of the picture.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Strong to USF would be loving awesome

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

DJExile posted:

EDIT

Both of these outcomes would be awesome. I'd love to see the players Strong would be able to recruit out there.

MourningView posted:

Taggart was running the Harbaugh/Stanford power running offense when he was at WKU so this isn't totally true, but yeah I'd think they'd want to stick with something closer to what Petrino and Brohm did since that took them to an even higher level. Just hire Brian Brohm, he was always the best Brohm anyway.

Also, Taggart also tried to run that same style of offense at USF and almost got himself fired within his first two years there. It's going to be interesting on what type of offense he will deploy out there. I know he had to tailor his offense around his QB due to him being more of an athlete then being a true QB.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

YES PLEASE TAKE HIM AND TAKE TIM BECK AWAY TOO

Dear god if WKU actually bails Urban out of his ridiculous playcalling arrangement at present they will be my new favorite G5 team. I don't know who actually looks at the OSU offense this season and says "yes please" outside of like the Nebraska/BG/Oklahoma games. Warriner is a really nice dude, and he's a Kentucky native, but he runs the Scuba Steve spread in the single most maddening way possible. It's like we took the old Bollman playcall sheet and ran it from the gun.

In UC news, I would be super happy if Luke Fickell finally gets a shot somewhere, even though he's done that weird Mike Bobo thing where he became competent when no one was looking/after having his ego destroyed by Chris Ash for 2 years. However, if he brings Kerry Coombs to UC, I'm going to be really goddamn angry because Coombs is my favorite position coach we've ever had. Dude's close to retirement age and still insists on working out with the DBs every day. He could keep a lot of Cincinnati guys home, which I would not be particularly happy about since Urban's gotten an absurd amount of talent out of the Cincy-Dayton corridor. All that said, UC is a total wild card right now. The university is on an interim-interim president, and the board is not likely going to approve anything too splashy by the AD right now after the Big 12 bid blew up in their face and Tuberville flamed out, especially now that they're having to replace at least 2-3 top Uni officials as well.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Kudos to Major Applewhite, future head coach of

*spins wheel*

Texas Tech!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

General Dog posted:

Kudos to Major Applewhite, future head coach of

*spins wheel*

Texas Tech!

You know we're going to end up with him at some point. I just hope it's 20 years from now and not 3.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Houston is going to entirely self-fund the program by getting their coaches bought out

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

Both of these outcomes would be awesome. I'd love to see the players Strong would be able to recruit out there.

Also, Taggart also tried to run that same style of offense at USF and almost got himself fired within his first two years there. It's going to be interesting on what type of offense he will deploy out there. I know he had to tailor his offense around his QB due to him being more of an athlete then being a true QB.

He said in his introductory press conference he wants to run a hurry up spread. I assume being willing to do so is part of what got him the job. Might be some growing pains though because Hubert isn't a great runner in the typical Oregon QB mold.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

In UC news, I would be super happy if Luke Fickell finally gets a shot somewhere, even though he's done that weird Mike Bobo thing where he became competent when no one was looking/after having his ego destroyed by Chris Ash for 2 years. However, if he brings Kerry Coombs to UC, I'm going to be really goddamn angry because Coombs is my favorite position coach we've ever had. Dude's close to retirement age and still insists on working out with the DBs every day. He could keep a lot of Cincinnati guys home, which I would not be particularly happy about since Urban's gotten an absurd amount of talent out of the Cincy-Dayton corridor. All that said, UC is a total wild card right now. The university is on an interim-interim president, and the board is not likely going to approve anything too splashy by the AD right now after the Big 12 bid blew up in their face and Tuberville flamed out, especially now that they're having to replace at least 2-3 top Uni officials as well.

Kerry Coombs was at UC with Brian Kelly and I wouldn't be that surprised to see him go back.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

MourningView posted:

He said in his introductory press conference he wants to run a hurry up spread. I assume being willing to do so is part of what got him the job. Might be some growing pains though because Hubert isn't a great runner in the typical Oregon QB mold.

I dont think they've recruited a Moble/Athletic QB since Mariota. What the gently caress happened to their recruiting? As long as Taggart goes after the smaller fast guys from LA like Chip did in the past then I think Oregon will be ok.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

I dont think they've recruited a Moble/Athletic QB since Mariota. What the gently caress happened to their recruiting? As long as Taggart goes after the smaller fast guys from LA like Chip did in the past then I think Oregon will be ok.

We just completely forgot to actually... Do it. See also: Oregon O-Line(s) since 2012

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

DJExile posted:

Kerry Coombs was at UC with Brian Kelly and I wouldn't be that surprised to see him go back.

He still has a house down here, and it's likely he would be promoted to UC's DC if he comes down. He's still really well like from his days at Colerain and the like, so he honestly might be a bigger coup than Fickell for them. Both are fantastic recruiters, but Coombs is exactly what that program needs right now.

If that's the case and Warriner is in play, Urban's potentially replacing three assistants, maybe more if Schiano goes somewhere. Like, it could literally turn into:

OC/QB: Tim Beck (ugh)
OC/TE: Vacant
OL: Greg Studrawa (ugh)
WR: Zach Smith (who is frankly employed almost entirely for his recruiting ability)
RB: Tony Alford (See Smith, Zach)

DC/Safeties: Vacant
DC/LBs: Vacant
D-Line: Larry Johnson (The best technical assistant we've ever had)
CBs: Vacant

Is that the most vacancies ever created off an existing staff, or am I crazy?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Michigan lost 3 or 4 guys last year I believe.

And I wouldn't worry about Meyer's ability to hire assistants. He is one of the coaches that can get people to come to him for openings.

E: 3 - Durkin, Baxter, Jackson

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 9, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
every WR and RB coach is employed solely for their recruiting abilities

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Houston is going to entirely self-fund the program by getting their coaches bought out

Something tells me this isn't happening with Applewhite

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah position coaches are basically recruiters who can stand on the sidelines during the game.

But yeah I wouldn't worry too much about Urban re-stocking the staff. To be honest I wondered a bit if he was going to take Strong back as DC.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Having to restock his staff is what killed him at UF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

pillsburysoldier posted:

Having to restock his staff is what killed him at UF

I thought what killed him at UF was that serious heart condition that miraculously cured itself after a year

• Locked thread