Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

UHD posted:

so when the berns take over the party and become the establishment does that mean i have to hate them

do i then have to turn on the new establishment

this politics stuff is hard

Only if you are continuously trying to chase the center. If you have values, then once the establishment reflects those values, you no longer hate them. If you currently support the status quo it is because you agree with the status quo and all that entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

at this point I think the party lining up behind Ellison is less about trying to get a corporatist yeerk into his ear and more about recognizing the inevitable

when the adl came out against him and chuck schumer (d-israel) said "nah he's fine" i think the tide had turned

still, until the votes are in be wary of the dolchstoss

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Fiction posted:

gently caress buying or talking about houses in this thread.

sorry for going off-topic i know d&d is super strict about this sort of thing

:jerkbag:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Former Everything posted:

i hope i get the vault where we eat pink slime and turn into pink ghouls and everything is pink

that was a school not a vault

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Mirthless posted:

A mod literally asked you to stop lol

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

"neoliberal" is one of those words that's ceased to have any meaning to me because goons have thrown it around at a bunch of people they don't like for so long

like plenty of them were actual lovely neoliberals but it still got turned from an actual descriptive into a snarl word

Just want to second this. My eyes glaze over every time I see it used in these threads because I have no idea what the poster is actually trying to say.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

"neoliberal" is one of those words that's ceased to have any meaning to me because goons have thrown it around at a bunch of people they don't like for so long

like plenty of them were actual lovely neoliberals but it still got turned from an actual descriptive into a snarl word

i can attest to this, i didnt know what it meant for a long rear end time

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Shinjobi posted:

Furthermore, continuing with the "symbiote=establishment" comparison, there's further danger in the establishment going off and creating its own offshoot that's even crazier and blatantly evil than the original establishment.

God forbid once the offshoot starts reproducing.

This concludes my establishment symbiote seminar. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

that was a school not a vault

well nevermind im not going into any school even if it means becoming a pink immortal monster

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

RENEGADE CUCKSKY posted:

oh, word. this would be true if housing prices operated in an economic vacuum. pro tip: if housing prices are dropping, the economy is almost inevitably going to be in a downward spiral.

mortgage-backed securities raus

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Rastor posted:

Ellison is the leftist choice, but the establishment thinks they can stick him into the position and then ignore / undermine him and then tell the left "hey it's not our fault the neoliberal train kept rolling, we put your guy in".

The joke's on them though because the left is getting fired up and will interpret neoliberal roadblocks as damage and route around them.

frankly i really like this version of the democratic party you've imagined because it's vastly more organized and disciplined than real life

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Grognan posted:

wtf is going on with language, can't use specific terms to describe things because they've been defensively poisoned by having been used wrong

People would rather ruin the very idea of communication than be wrong or be called something they don't like.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

radical meme posted:

Just want to second this. My eyes glaze over every time I see it used in these threads because I have no idea what the poster is actually trying to say.

should I just say third-way then? Because pro-business, anti-labor, anti-welfare, and anti-poor policies kinda all fall under that umbrella for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

radical meme posted:

we really should bring back the 'neoliberal' -> 'n-word' filter.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

at this point I think the party lining up behind Ellison is less about trying to get a corporatist yeerk into his ear and more about recognizing the inevitable

when the adl came out against him and chuck schumer (d-israel) said "nah he's fine" i think the tide had turned

still, until the votes are in be wary of the dolchstoss

this post has layers

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Fiction posted:

A mod literally asked you to stop lol

Part of the reason I like to give warning posts like that is I feel even less bad than usual for probating those who ignore them!

radical meme posted:

As fa as I can tell, many have just casually redefined it to "disappointing centrist/establishment democrat with corporate sympathies whom I don't like," rather than what the word actually means. Which is lazy and stupid on their part, of course.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Concerned Citizen posted:

frankly i really like this version of the democratic party you've imagined because it's vastly more organized and disciplined than real life

When something they actually care about is on the line (i.e. their gravy train) you'll be amazed at what they are able to accomplish.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
ugh, this sandwich is too neoliberal

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

UHD posted:

so when the berns take over the party and become the establishment does that mean i have to hate them

do i then have to turn on the new establishment

this politics stuff is hard

Bernie has been a senator for a very long time so if establishment just means having a lot of power over a long period of time Bernie is establishment.

IMO establishment is a combination of centrism and having policies that *for some reason* match up 100% with what the richest, most influential lobbying groups support which are generally against the interests of everyone else.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Part of the reason I like to give warning posts like that is I feel even less bad than usual for probating those who ignore them!

As fa as I can tell, many have just casually redefined it to "disappointing centrist/establishment democrat with corporate sympathies whom I don't like," rather than what the word actually means. Which is lazy and stupid on their part, of course.

What's the word actually mean? I thought it described Hillary and the DNC platform well.

i.e. https://www.demconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Democratic-Party-Platform-7.21.16-no-lines.pdf
I would describe that as "neo-liberal." But maybe I'm wrong?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mirthless posted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you loving cog in the machine.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

MizPiz posted:

When something they actually care about is on the line (i.e. their gravy train) you'll be amazed at what they are able to accomplish.

yeah the powerless minority party is really delivering that gravy train

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

muh try man

Nonsense has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Dec 9, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also Perez is the biggest baby loser (he's crying really hard right now) and only losers are backing him, who'da thought

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Grognan posted:

should I just say third-way then? Because pro-business, anti-labor, anti-welfare, and anti-poor policies kinda all fall under that umbrella for me.

Describing someone as a "third-way" politician might in fact be more accurate and descriptive.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What's the word actually mean? I thought it described Hillary and the DNC platform well.

i.e. https://www.demconvention.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Democratic-Party-Platform-7.21.16-no-lines.pdf

neoliberalism has a specific definition related to economic policy, but I forget the specifics

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
wordfilter "neoliberal" to "sheeple"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

radical meme posted:

Describing someone as a "third-way" politician might in fact be more accurate and descriptive.

yeah, triangulating third-way shitbags is way more accurate

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

'third-way' will be the next "word for people i don't like", then you can start this game again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MaxxBot posted:

Bernie has been a senator for a very long time so if establishment just means having a lot of power over a long period of time Bernie is establishment.

IMO establishment is a combination of centrism and having policies that *for some reason* match up 100% with what the richest, most influential lobbying groups support which are generally against the interests of everyone else.

bernie is establishment because he's been a senator, is a ranking member of committees, and votes in party line like what 95% of the time? He is establishment, that's not a bad thing to be inherently.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

So what does the word actually mean?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is the most likely reason Schumer jumped on the Keith train so quick

You do not become Chucky Schumer without knowing how to see where the wind is blowing

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

neoliberalism has a specific definition related to economic policy, but I forget the specifics

Well I am specifically talking about their economic policies. Though I'm not an economist, so I'm sure there is some specific technicality where those specific market based solutions aren't technically neoliberal because

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

You're right, just look at the dire straights the Republicans were in after 2008.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

loquacius posted:

where the wind is blowing

An eight year passing fart that didn't smell too bad just passed us by since the 8th. Trump's farts will be like something died and it will last for eight years.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Tatum Girlparts posted:

bernie is establishment because he's been a senator, is a ranking member of committees, and votes in party line like what 95% of the time? He is establishment, that's not a bad thing to be inherently.

lol. What position does Bernie hold in the DNC?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

MizPiz posted:

So what does the word actually mean?

Neo-liberalism is an economic position that emphasizes, in its current incarnation, free trade and deregulation of domestic finance and industry, plus the sort of third-way stuff the Clinton administration pulled back in the 90s. While it's not therefore necessarily wrong to call Hillary herself a neo-liberal, since she was knee-deep in that stuff back then and hasn't changed her relative stances overmuch, most often when it gets brought up in CSPAM it's just someone slagging on disappointing Democrats by trying to call them the centrist equivalent of the neo-cons of the W era.

Nonsense posted:

'third-way' will be the next "word for people i don't like", then you can start this game again.

Christ, and here I just used that one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Well I am specifically talking about their economic policies. Though I'm not an economist, so I'm sure there is some specific technicality where those specific market based solutions aren't technically neoliberal because

point is that nobody actually cares about what it's supposed to mean anymore so it's basically a worthless snarl word

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

lol. What position does Bernie hold in the DNC?

senate committees, my dude, you know the things you get pretty much by sticking around super long?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

The third way from the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Establishment Independent

• Locked thread