Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh man that reminds me, KT might actually be announcing concrete info about DW9 in a week or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

gently caress it, just give Agent 47 a wrist blade in the next season. Problem solved.

Quick Agent 47- blend with that random tightly-packed group of bald investment bankers before you're discovered!

I remember in AC2 they introduced this sort of "crowd stealth" mechanic where you could sort of hop between moving groups of people and it would be harder to notice you but it was kinda limited. Would be neat if that was expanded upon a little more.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

Sure, but I think the improvise-and-try-to-escape combat would mesh a lot better with everything else about Assassin's Creed--especially the player's great mobility--better than the Arkham combat does. Plenty of games do it better, anyway, like the Arkham games themselves, or Sleeping Dogs.

Yeah, like, ideally a game about an assassin should involve a lot of stealth, planning, and utilizing the environment to take out foes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I really don't get why MGS5 has so many cool non-stealth toys and made stealth so difficult to do, yet still penalizes me if I play the way it obviously wants me to.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you mean that it punishes you for not using stealth then that's not really the case. The scoring system is weighted so heavily on time that you can earn an S rank doing basically anything, as long as you do it fast.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's so weird.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

That's so (Vulcan) Raven

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
It is a bit counter intuitive, but its overall a decent design for a game with so many options. My favorite is the mission where the easiest way to earn an S rank is to just shoot everything with the helicopter minigun, then leave.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC there's an MGS5 mission where you can pop the guy with a sniper rifle from three hundred yards out and it doesn't even raise an alarm.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Quick Agent 47- blend with that random tightly-packed group of bald investment bankers before you're discovered!

I remember in AC2 they introduced this sort of "crowd stealth" mechanic where you could sort of hop between moving groups of people and it would be harder to notice you but it was kinda limited. Would be neat if that was expanded upon a little more.

It was present in AC1 too, in an unrefined form (just like everything in AC1). You could only join certain crowds and they would only move on fixed routes, they were like little streetcars that took you past guard posts and into secure areas. In AC2 they changed it so you could join any group of more than 3 or so people, and those groups could form or dissolve at random as the NPCs wandered around, so you had to hop between them to stay stealthy and keep going in the same direction.

Never got an explanation as to why your ridiculous assassin outfits didn't stand out, though.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, MGSV's scoring system doesn't really give too much of a poo poo if you're sneaky. The closest thing to a penalty for not being stealthy is that you can't extract dead soldiers, and even then, nobody said that you had to go 100% lethal to go non-stealthy.

Well, that, and if you kill lots and lots of dudes your clothes get all covered in blood and your horn gets huge but that could be a bonus depending on how metal you want to be.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kind of reminds me of something- what games have a mechanic where enemies react to you doing something brutal to one of their comrades? I remember in Sleeping Dogs there were a few moves that would cause enemies to wince and go "oh man what the gently caress" for a second and just kinda back off momentarily because they just watched you break a guy's arm or whatever
Mark of the Ninja. There are a few ways to trigger a panic, like dropping a corpse to land right in front of an enemy that isn't aware of your presence, but it can cause them to freak the gently caress out and fire wildly in the direction of whatever startled them. Which can be used to cause friendly fire chain reactions.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A game that expanded on the Dark Brotherhood quest from Oblivion, where you're in a locked house with a group of people you need to stealthy kill (or not, the game doesn't care), might be pretty cool. So you're on a river boat and everyone needs to die. You go around the perimeter taking care of guards and individuals, maybe making the survivors more nervous as they can't find their friend or the place seems more and more empty. If you get spotted the whole place goes on alert but they can't really go anywhere. Sounds like an indie game with a few levels of potentia- nope, I'm basically describing Commandos. Nevermind.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

It was present in AC1 too, in an unrefined form (just like everything in AC1). You could only join certain crowds and they would only move on fixed routes, they were like little streetcars that took you past guard posts and into secure areas. In AC2 they changed it so you could join any group of more than 3 or so people, and those groups could form or dissolve at random as the NPCs wandered around, so you had to hop between them to stay stealthy and keep going in the same direction.

Never got an explanation as to why your ridiculous assassin outfits didn't stand out, though.

The assassin outfit makes sense in the first AC because, well, most everyone was wearing a robe with a hood, so you really don't stand out. It promptly stops making sense after that. The later games do an okay of just blending assassin-y elements (like a hood) into otherwise roughly appropriate clothes instead though I have no idea where Jacob stores his top hat when he puts his hood up in Syndicate :shrug:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I remember MGS4 giving you an absurd amount of ways to noisily murder people

Nothing will be as good as Snake in MGS3 just yelling at the top of his lungs whenever you fired the M60 though. The ultimate expression of "gently caress stealth".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

A game that expanded on the Dark Brotherhood quest from Oblivion, where you're in a locked house with a group of people you need to stealthy kill (or not, the game doesn't care), might be pretty cool. So you're on a river boat and everyone needs to die. You go around the perimeter taking care of guards and individuals, maybe making the survivors more nervous as they can't find their friend or the place seems more and more empty. If you get spotted the whole place goes on alert but they can't really go anywhere. Sounds like an indie game with a few levels of potentia- nope, I'm basically describing Commandos. Nevermind.

Have you not played Hitman: Blood Money?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Harrow posted:

though I have no idea where Jacob stores his top hat when he puts his hood up in Syndicate :shrug:

Sometimes I think I want a game with a more realistic inventory system, like one that actually tracks where people are putting things instead of just having slots and weight, but I think Link's Magic Bag o' Hookshots and poo poo is probably best most of the time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
50 Cent: Bulletproof had a pretty great weapon management system. You had two hands, and two holster for pistol-sized weapons, and a large holster for a longarm on your back. You could fill these however you wanted and it was just visible in the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Sometimes I think I want a game with a more realistic inventory system, like one that actually tracks where people are putting things instead of just having slots and weight, but I think Link's Magic Bag o' Hookshots and poo poo is probably best most of the time.

There's a tabletop game called Blades in the Dark that I think handles it well, and how it handles it could actually translate to an Assassin's Creed-style video game pretty well. It uses an abstracted "load" stat to account for both size and weight, and the consequences for carrying a lot of stuff aren't "you move slower," but "you can't conceal all this poo poo, so it's obvious you're loaded up with weapons and armor." A couple of small blades is 1 load, as is a pistol; armor is 1 load, but heavy armor is 3; a weapon larger than a knife is 2 load. If you're carrying 3 or less load worth of equipment, you're inconspicuous, you can conceal it. If you're carrying 4 or 5, you're obviously someone rough-and-tumble, a "scoundrel" as the game says. If you're carrying 6 (which is the max), you look like an operative on a mission and it's obvious to anyone that you're not just some street tough carrying weapons around, but someone loaded down with gear to do some breaking and entering, or have a serious fight.

In a video game like Assassin's Creed, that could just manifest as making more noise when you move around, and how people react to you when they see you. If you're carrying a light load, your weapons are all concealed and you look like anyone else. Medium load, you're clearly a badass, random people in the street might try to get out of your way instead of letting you blend with them (depending on the group), guards pay more attention to you as you walk by. Heavy load, you're clearly outfitted for battle or other crime, guards might try to stop you on the street, you can't blend in, etc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

MMF Freeway posted:

It is a bit counter intuitive, but its overall a decent design for a game with so many options. My favorite is the mission where the easiest way to earn an S rank is to just shoot everything with the helicopter minigun, then leave.

it's especially funny because it's a subsistence mission

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Snak posted:

Have you not played Hitman: Blood Money?

Nope! Hitman never clicked for my until the newest incarnation, and for all the praise I hear about Blood Money I was satisfied watching a speed run during a GDQ and calling it a day.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Random Hajile posted:

Mark of the Ninja. There are a few ways to trigger a panic, like dropping a corpse to land right in front of an enemy that isn't aware of your presence, but it can cause them to freak the gently caress out and fire wildly in the direction of whatever startled them. Which can be used to cause friendly fire chain reactions.

Mark of the Ninja is a super fun game to play but imo they should have done something different with the artstyle because all of the characters have a really saturday morning kids cartoon vibe to them (I'm pretty sure its because the art director also did the designs for that Star Wars: Clone Wars tv show years and years ago) which doesn't really mesh well with the level of violence in the game. Like you're killing these soldiers and dropping their corpses in front of other soldiers and they all look like they could be Kim Possible's dad, and likewise the guy you're playing is very kinda clean-cut kids show hero for a fella that's killing people and not "defeating" them or sending them to the "dark zone".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kim Possible's Dad Murder Simulator

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Nope! Hitman never clicked for my until the newest incarnation, and for all the praise I hear about Blood Money I was satisfied watching a speed run during a GDQ and calling it a day.

Bloode Money has a riverboat mission. It's dope.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Hitman Blood Money would hold up pretty well if someone played it for the first time today I think

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

corn in the bible posted:

getting a used copy of SHCD is probably cheapest if you do it through the bgg used market https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2511/sherlock-holmes-consulting-detective

theyre pretty trustworthy

I've been meaning to grab SHCD forever, but I haven't thought of checking BGG's used market so that should make things easier. Thanks!

Lurdiak posted:

I don't care if it "makes sense with this new take on the character" or whatever. The take itself is lame. It's like if they rebooted Duke Nukem into a noodly-armed guy who's constantly screaming in terror at the aliens attacking him.

This would be great, especially if the noodly arms were like actual noodly arms and you have to control them like Octodad.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Phantasium posted:

Can we call games like Metroid Closed World games?

I want to say I like Closed World games.

I'm going to say it regardless.

I like the term better than Metroidvania at least.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Help Im Alive posted:

Hitman Blood Money would hold up pretty well if someone played it for the first time today I think

I'm not so great at PC third-person 3D action games. They always feel floaty or hard to control, or have just a certain amount of jank that trips me up. I think I tried Blood Money if the first tutorial stage gives you some coins and you're on a pier(?), but I couldn't figure out how to know if someone was looking at me when I threw the coin or if I was being spotted or not and I moved on. Admittedly I did not try very hard to like it but I'm not passing judgement on it one way or another. Just a shipriverboat passing in the night.

Like, it didn't have a minimap and I'll admit I kind of need a minimap for something like that. Give me my Soliton Radar or give me death.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 9, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I want an assasin game to have a mission that plays out like Franz Ferdinand's death. You meet a buddy at a bar to plan it out and suddenly the person walks or drives right by you so it's just this chaotic moment of opportunity that escalates into figuring out how to escape in all the chaos.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Metroid and Castlevania don't even seem that similar to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it seems more and more likely I am getting a Playstation 4 for my birthday and FFXV is definitely one of the games I'll be playing, and I skipped over 13, even though I could have played it on Steam now for awhile. Nobody ever seemed excited enough about it.

Look like its time for the monthly post of mine that says I love XIII

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
It's funny that if they had continued iterating on the drat first Assassin's Creed game we'd basically have what you guys are describing by now. That was the only one where you could actually like uncover weaknesses and inside info, plan an attack with (possibly) fallible information, and execute a precisely timed kill with a planned escape route. It was rudimentary and it wasn't mandatory (you could always opt to just HULK SMASH your way through an encounter instead), but it was there. If they had built on that foundation we'd have some super hot real assassinations by now.

Instead every single title became less and less about any kind of planning/technique, and more about just being a Randian Captain of Industry Melee with the occasional gimmick objective.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

MGSV is awesome because it's as hard as you want it to be. I had a lot of fun trying to go for no trace and such. I wish the leaderboards weren't buried behind 3 layers of menus because I bet they would be more actively competitive if people knew about them

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Bicyclops posted:

The Castlevania part of the term Metroidvania originates with Symphony of the Night. The earlier games really have no similarity to Metroid.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chomp8645 posted:

It's funny that if they had continued iterating on the drat first Assassin's Creed game we'd basically have what you guys are describing by now. That was the only one where you could actually like uncover weaknesses and inside info, plan an attack with (possibly) fallible information, and execute a precisely timed kill with a planned escape route. It was rudimentary and it wasn't mandatory (you could always opt to just HULK SMASH your way through an encounter instead), but it was there. If they had built on that foundation we'd have some super hot real assassinations by now.

Instead every single title became less and less about any kind of planning/technique, and more about just being a Randian Captain of Industry Melee with the occasional gimmick objective.

First AC game was kinda janky and boring but I'll admit that the "oh gently caress you just murdered That Guy and the entire city is after you" sequences are pretty memorable

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The Castlevania part of the term Metroidvania originates with Symphony of the Night. The earlier games really have no similarity to Metroid.

Symphony doesn't really either other than they have a similar style of map

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Ah, okay.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

metroidvania is a term for games with whips/grapple beams i think

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Play a pre-SotN Castlevania game. Play a Metroid game. Now play SotN

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Should have just called them supercastles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SOTN and Super Metroid are at like polar opposites of 2D exploratory game design though

• Locked thread