Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Atlas Hugged posted:

I'd definitely be interested in one for Firefight if only because I want an easy tool to play around with to help me figure out the points I'm most likely to have with the pledge I ordered and how I want to build my unit upgrades.

That's the one thing I like about Kings of War. The unit is just the unit. There's no command and most options don't affect points, like switching shields for two handed weapons. When there are point options, it's usually for Warhammer legacy units like skinks with bows.

But with Firefight I'm going to have to decide which weapons to equip my models with and how many models will be in each unit. So being able to do that in a list builder will save me a massive headache.

Would either of you be willing to help me out with it? I don't need you to do data entry or anything, I will build the entire thing myself. What I want is feedback regarding the UI and organization of information. Battlescribe gives you a TON of options regarding how a roster works, in terms of how you build things. So for example, with Marionettes for Asterians, you get 5 in a squad, you can add up to 5, they all get rifles, but when you give them an upgrade it replaces the rifle for a single model. How the selections are made and how the information is delivered in the roster printout can vary wildly.

Also, suffice to say, this poo poo is complex. I'd really appreciate some beta testing or whatever you'd want to call it.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

Would either of you be willing to help me out with it? I don't need you to do data entry or anything, I will build the entire thing myself. What I want is feedback regarding the UI and organization of information. Battlescribe gives you a TON of options regarding how a roster works, in terms of how you build things. So for example, with Marionettes for Asterians, you get 5 in a squad, you can add up to 5, they all get rifles, but when you give them an upgrade it replaces the rifle for a single model. How the selections are made and how the information is delivered in the roster printout can vary wildly.

Also, suffice to say, this poo poo is complex. I'd really appreciate some beta testing or whatever you'd want to call it.

I can give you some feedback but I only have a few hours in the evening when my wife takes over baby duty so it might not be more than once or twice a week and maybe less than that.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yeah I can do some beta testing of the UI, no worries

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can give you some feedback but I only have a few hours in the evening when my wife takes over baby duty so it might not be more than once or twice a week and maybe less than that.

Perfectly fine

I'll PM you guys and make a post when I have something to work with.

I wonder if Battlescribe module creation wouldn't warrant a thread? I'm kinda obsessive about this poo poo so I could help out anyone who wanted some assistance using the module creation tools.

edit:

Here's what the output looks like right now in BB code. You tell me if the info looks weird. The full output would include the rules for each special attribute but I don't want to paste that.

++ Force (Asterians v1) (221Points) ++

+ Regular Infantry (221Points) +

········Rifle Cyphers (221Points) [2x Additional Rifle Cyphers (66Points)]
············Cypher Prime Personnel Upgrade (15Points) [Lightblade, Stun Grenade]
············Rifle Cypher Weapons (5Points) [Fission Beamer (5Points), Force Rifle, Noh Rifle]
········Profiles:
················Cypher Prime: SPD:6|MEL:4+|ACC:3+|DEF:5+|RES:1|NER:3|Models:3|Rules:Leadership
················Rifle Cyphers (Additional Rifle Cyphers): SPD:6|MEL:4+|ACC:3+|DEF:5+|RES:1|NER:3|Models:5|Rules:Command 1, Communications, Shield (3)
················Fission Beamer: Range:24"|Dice:1|AP:5|Special:Anti-tank, Slow Reload
················Force Rifle: Range:18"|Dice:1|AP:2|Special:
················Lightblade: Range:A|Dice:2|AP:2|Special:Anti-Tank
················Noh Rifle: Range:24"|Dice:2|AP:-|Special:
················Stun Grenade: Range:8"|Dice:1|AP:-|Special:Stun

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 8, 2016

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
So after taking model inventory my proposed army lists look like this before magic items:
pre:
Army #1: EoD
Revenants: Horde
Skeleton Archers: Regiment
Skeleton Archer Cav: Troop
Enslaved Guardians: Regiment
Scorpion Husk
High Priest /w Horse

835 points
pre:
Army #2: KoM
General on Winged Beast
Heavy Pike: Horde
Bowmen: regiment
Arquebusiers: Regiment
Wizard
Beast of War

955 points
I don't have the full rules with the magic items yet and I suspect I picked about the worst possible time to order books from mantic.

I have no idea what I am doing and am picking purely based on models available. I have a lot of other options for EoD, but that's about the best I think I can do for KoM, model wise. Two monsters, a wizard, and a smattering of distractions, is that going to work or just be crap?

I can't find a way to make an arquebusier horde at the moment unless it's a single line of 8 with smattering of kobolds, elves and goblins having a BBQ behind them on the same base.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Kings of War isn't won and lost in the list building as much as WHFB was - it's certainly possible to make a weak list, and run into a list designed to counter yours, but a lot more of the game is decided by your deployment, and your skills at manoeuvre.

Since you already bought the books and are just waiting on delivery, I can loan you the PDFs if you want to read the magic items lists now

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'd think you could easily pad both those armies to an even 1000 points once you give them some magic items, and you should be able to play some games with them.

For maximum flexibility, consider trying to put your hordes onto two bases that fit together so that you can also run them as two Regiments: since a Regiment of infantry is 100x80 and a Horde is 200x80, you can just push two of them together one behind the other.

A horde of Pike Block is 225 points, but two Regiments is 265, so that's also a way to stretch points a bit if you need to. Similarly, a Horde of Revenants is 200 points, but two Regiments is 240pts.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

NTRabbit posted:

Kings of War isn't won and lost in the list building as much as WHFB was - it's certainly possible to make a weak list, and run into a list designed to counter yours, but a lot more of the game is decided by your deployment, and your skills at manoeuvre.

Since you already bought the books and are just waiting on delivery, I can loan you the PDFs if you want to read the magic items lists now

Thanks for the offer, but I found a copy online right after I posted that. Pardon my sins.

Leperflesh posted:

I'd think you could easily pad both those armies to an even 1000 points once you give them some magic items, and you should be able to play some games with them.

For maximum flexibility, consider trying to put your hordes onto two bases that fit together so that you can also run them as two Regiments: since a Regiment of infantry is 100x80 and a Horde is 200x80, you can just push two of them together one behind the other.

A horde of Pike Block is 225 points, but two Regiments is 265, so that's also a way to stretch points a bit if you need to. Similarly, a Horde of Revenants is 200 points, but two Regiments is 240pts.

The skeletons are still based for whfb so I'm just going to use movement trays and I should be set. The Perry infantry though, I never did anything with, and need to figure something out. I really love the idea of big diorama bases, but I think that you have a good point about flexibility, at least to start out with.

I can see why having two smaller units could be more advantageous than one larger, but in the case of something like a pike block wouldn't you always want it as large as possible to tarpit big threats?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!
It's likely you will almost always be fielding that as a horde (I've never run my zombies as less), but wouldn't you rather be able to make that choice rather than have to rebase or buy new models if you ever change your mind?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Giant Isopod posted:

I can see why having two smaller units could be more advantageous than one larger, but in the case of something like a pike block wouldn't you always want it as large as possible to tarpit big threats?

Depends on the unit. I play Ogres, and I have my Shooters, Boomers, and Red Goblins based as regiments that fit together to make hordes, because they could easily be either, and when I do braves, chariots, scouts, or hunters I'll do the same. All the warriors I have at the moment though are based as two hordes, because I don't really see myself using them in regiments all that often, if ever, eg:

I ought to do regiments for siege breakers too, but I have a diorama idea for a horde, and I want to make a full on legion of warriors too at one point (if I can get a multibase large enough)

Oh, and in gameplay terms, don't discount the sheer number of bases to move as a strategy - if you can put 3 rectangles down for every 1 of mine, you can create a lot more chances to flank, because I can't respond to everything, especially with an army like Ogres.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Dec 8, 2016

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I never learn so I bought a crazy box bundle again this year. I haven't checked it all yet but I'm not disappointed this year! Might be because I didn't get any of their old elves again.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Giant Isopod posted:

I haven't played enough to say for sure, but: tactical flexibility can matter. I can imagine situations where simply having another unit to deploy on a flank or near a piece of terrain forces your opponent to use one of his deployments to counter yours. Since Kings of War uses alternating deployments during setup, choosing which units to deploy, and when, and paying attention to how your opponent is deploying, can be a key part of the game.

Another thing is that Kings of War rewards flanking and flank & rear attacks greatly. A single "tarpit" unit is a good way to set up an opponent's unit for a flank charge (although units surviving a melee are not "locked" into that melee, they back off a little, so unlike Warhammer Fantasy battles, tarpits aren't quite the same). Using a big infantry block might be good for being the anvil unit, but you could also split them and use one to catch a charge while the other maneuvers for a flank attack.

Your mileage may vary a lot.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I need someone to fire up Battlescribe and tell me if you can pull a repo from http://www.signalnoise.net/Firefight/index.bsi

And then tell me if the UI makes sense

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

I need someone to fire up Battlescribe and tell me if you can pull a repo from http://www.signalnoise.net/Firefight/index.bsi

And then tell me if the UI makes sense

It's working and the UI basically makes sense. I don't have the rules open in front of me at the moment so assuming that was the norm I'd like it if there was a way for it to tell me if I could take all, one, or some of the upgrades. It also just assumes you know that the weapon upgrade applies to one model only. This is probably fine but worth thinking about.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

I never learn so I bought a crazy box bundle again this year. I haven't checked it all yet but I'm not disappointed this year! Might be because I didn't get any of their old elves again.

What'd you get? I also could not resist the siren song of the box.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiYvxT_y-c4

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Weirdo posted:

What'd you get? I also could not resist the siren song of the box.

The complete list:
Sci-fi:
2 Astarian drones
4 Asterian guys
vermyn broodmother
Metal enforcer shield guy
2 enforcer jetbikes
a Dreadball orc player
a Dreadball Trontek player
a Dreadball forge father player
Reek Rolat Dreadball MVP
Blaine in boardgame plastic
2 sprues of terrain
5 Forge Father Stormrage Veterans
2 chainsaw mawbeasts
2 marauder snipers
2 marauder commandos
9 Plague 3rd gen guys
2 Plague dog things

Fantasy:
Dungeon saga demon set
2 Forces of the Abyss sprues. 1 is succubi, not sure about the other.
Orc chariot
Undead Revenant Cavalry standard bearer
Lady Ilona
Dungeon saga orc dog monster
Undead Revenant sprue
2 Dungeon Saga Doors

I'm pretty sure my big box was the sci-fi one. I guy I know got a bunch of dwarven badger cavalry in his box and I'm super jealous.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I'm gonna get myself a fantasy box if I pick up extra hours between Xmas and New Years, double-time delight

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

It's working and the UI basically makes sense. I don't have the rules open in front of me at the moment so assuming that was the norm I'd like it if there was a way for it to tell me if I could take all, one, or some of the upgrades. It also just assumes you know that the weapon upgrade applies to one model only. This is probably fine but worth thinking about.

I think Battlescribe assumes you've read the rulebook, but yeah I'm trying to think of how I could make it give you more feedback. I could alter the names of the upgrades, but if I did it would put those bigger upgrade names on the listing when you print it.

edit: Having looked at it some more, I don't think there's anything I could do with this to explain the game to people without it being cumbersome. It's an army builder, not a rulebook. I have put in logic to prevent the user from being able to use upgrades that are not allowed, but yeah you're going to need to read the rulebook at some point.

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 9, 2016

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Atlas Hugged posted:

The Warpath Sourcebook is a good piece of work though. The artwork is genuinely great and it goes into a ton of detail on the universe. I haven't read enough to know if the prose is total garbage or not, but the bit I skimmed seemed functional if a bit direct.

Yeah, I just started reading it this week. Haven't gotten through all of it, but I was pleasantly surprised to find the setting fairly detailed and having some satire to it. The humans are decidedly not the "good guys", and the forge fathers are definitely more dicks than dwarves are in a lot of settings. While a number of events have some of that "necessary sacrifices"/"hard men making hard choices" elements to it, its made very clear that the reason for those situations in the first place is usually the "hard men" doing something stupid or evil. I particularly liked the fact that the super-soldier enforcers have in various iterations backfired in an almost robocop level of corporate dis-responsibility. Plus the at least one time when they tried making them have no desire but to "destroy threats to the GCPS" and they immediately went and tried to kill off the GCPS leadership.

I was expecting something drier/sparser given the KoW fluff, so its a good and promising shift.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Desiden posted:

I was expecting something drier/sparser given the KoW fluff, so its a good and promising shift.

I think KoW is kinda meant to be a fairly open setting to let people bring what they want, while Warpath is a more narrative setting which while being more defined is home to massive diversity (see Dreadball).

Question is, will Mantic move KoW along similar lines now that WFB is defunct? It is positioned to be a market leader in a way that wasn't so credible before AoS drove so many people away from their GW comfort blanket.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
I have a fantasy random box coming as well because I'm a sucker for that kind of poo poo.

From what I've seen of KoW's world and fluff writing... they could benefit from an end times and starting all over again.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
KoW feels like they're starting to flesh it out, but just aren't there yet. I'd agree Warpath feels more like its own thing, especially with dreadball and deadzone already out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

KoW has the problem where WHFB sucked up and used every Tolkien and Tolkien-drivative trope there is, so if you make anything in that realm people will call it a WHFB rip-off, but if they don't make the Elves haughty, the dwarves stubborn, and the men noble, the same people complain that the Elves, Dwarves, and Men are wrong.

It's different for scifi, because the genre isn't dominated by a single text the same way that Lord of the Rings looms over fantasy - people find it equally valid for a game's fiction to be derived from any subgenre, and any author or style; the post-apocalyptic and military space opera of 40k, the steampunk of Malifaux, the cyberpunk of Infinity, the pulp of Counterblast, and the social scifi of Warpath can exist side by side, without anyone taking two different depictions of one thing and calling one of them right, and one wrong.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 9, 2016

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Considering the size of Manteca vs the size of the Warpath universe, I think they just wanted more room to expand with events and new locales. Also, I think they want their future world wide campaigns to actually have an impact on the world, so there is little point in making it too detailed

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

hrmm?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not interested unless it comes in spray on :v:

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

why do all the monstrous creatures for KoW have tiny stumpy legs and huge gangling arms?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Their main sculptor hates leg day.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm pretty sure my big box was the sci-fi one. I guy I know got a bunch of dwarven badger cavalry in his box and I'm super jealous.

Neat, they've been a fun grab bag for the last two years, so I'm looking forward to mine.

Percelus posted:

why do all the monstrous creatures for KoW have tiny stumpy legs and huge gangling arms?

Leg day has not been invented yet :P

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Percelus posted:

It's a house style, and ostensibly is meant to be a perspective trick - it looks a bit weird in a front on, ground level, lightbox photo, but when viewed on the tabletop from regular eye level looking downwards, it's supposed to give the minis added depth, I think.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
Got my fantasy crazy box in!

1x sprue of succubi
1x sprue lower abyssals
1x bag of the abyssal expansion from dungeon saga
1x loose random abyssal dude
1x skeleton with undead rat/dog
1x orc with bow
1x skeleton
4x dungeon saga heroes
1x sprue of men-at-arms
...and a whole goddamn bag of those dwarf badger riders.

I guess I better start an Abyssal army after all :toot:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a (very small) raise and I think I'm going to celebrate by ordering a mystery box! :toot: They seem fun.

Anyone who got a bunch spare a single badger-rider? I need one for D&D. Got a gnome barbarian/animal lord in my group that needs a mount that can rage with him.
(I'm in the USofA)

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Electric Hobo posted:

A guy I know got a bunch of dwarven badger cavalry in his box and I'm super jealous.

Slimnoid posted:

...and a whole goddamn bag of those dwarf badger riders.
I'm super jealous!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I'm pretty set on Neritica as the faction to get into Kings of War with, but I still have to ask: is monster-heavy a viable playstyle for any of the factions?
In game terms, I don't really care if it's a solitary Monster or a Hero riding one. I just want some big creatures smashing into lines of infantry.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 9, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Your army can include up to two Troops per Regiment in the army.

For each Regiment, you can also include 1 war engine OR 1 monster OR 1 hero.

Your army can include up to 4 Troops per Horde in the army.

For each horde, you can also include up to one war engine AND one hero AND 1 monster. Legions are hordes for the purposes of army selection.

"Irregular" units (they have asterisks in the army sections of the rules) are treated as a Troop even if they're Regiment or Horde sized.

Heroes that are Monsters just count as a Hero, for force selection.

SO:

A monster-heavy force still requires a significant investment in basic troops in regimental or horde sized blocks. You could still play a force that has lots of big dudes, like Ogres, who count as basic troops. A regiment of Ogre-sized infantry is just three dudes, and a Horde is just six. (The ogre forces include Red Goblins, but they are Irregular so they don't count as core for the purposes of taking monsters) So, you pretty much HAVE to have a few stands of basic ogre dudes, but a dozen or two would be enough to pack the rest of your list with Mammoths and Giants.

Allies can make up to 25% of your total points, and can't be Living Legends, and can't be of the opposed alignment (evil and good can't ally). Also, you need Regiments or Hordes of the allying force, in order to get their Monsters.

All of the above are rules that you and an opponent could agree to relax, of course! But for general play, you need some troops.

e. keep in mind for all of the above, that cavalry usually also counts as "troops," so this isn't just infantry.

Forces of Nature could use Naiad Wyrmriders as troops, and they're Large Cavalry so you only need three for a regiment or six for a horde, and they're... well, I assume Naiads riding sea serpents are pretty monsterish? Forest Shamblers are also Large Infantry treemen/wood constructs that count as troops, and so are Elementals. So you could do a FoN army using treemen and serpent riders to fill out your troop selections, and then have Greater Elementals, Hydras, and Beasts of Nature for monsters.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 9, 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Electric Hobo posted:

I'm super jealous!

So I've been wanting a unit of abyssal half-breeds for my abyssal dwarf army and I'm in the market for ten of either the half-breeds or orc gore riders*. If you happen to have either of those I'd be down for doing a trade. Unpainted and unassembled would be preferable, but I've done more than my fair share of ebay rescues that it doesn't really bother me so long as they're in good condition.

* I'd actually prefer these because I've converted so much of the AD army at this point that I may as well go full-hog with it.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Leperflesh posted:

A monster-heavy force still requires a significant investment in basic troops in regimental or horde sized blocks.
Thanks. Is there any faction that maxes out on monsters within those limits or generally takes several?
I don't expect monsters to make up the majority of my list, but 3 or 4 would be nice.

e:
Just saw your edit, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Wizard Styles posted:

Thanks. Is there any faction that maxes out on monsters within those limits or generally takes several?
I don't expect monsters to make up the majority of my list, but 3 or 4 would be nice.

e:
Just saw your edit, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

If you just want the monstrous aspect instead of hard hitting big dues, the night stalkers list is basically all monsterous creatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

All of the armies require one regiment or horde per monster.

See my edits above, though: and if you're into the Neretica faction, theyv'e got Large Infantry and Large Cavalry you can use as troops, too. Water Elementals, Depth Horrors, Gigas, and Naiad Wyrmriders can all be used to fill out your troops requirements. You'd need one Regiment (three guys) or Horde (six guys) of one of them per monster you took, to meet the force building requirements.