Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
On the Baylor front, Rhule has hired David Wetzel, fairly successful coach of Reagan High School in San Antonio and maybe more importantly current president of the Texas High School Football Coaches Association, onto the staff with his role TBA. Seems like a shrewd move since lack of Texas ties is going to be his biggest weakness coming in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

DrunkPanda posted:

I thought what killed him at UF was that serious heart condition that miraculously cured itself after a year

Pizza was the miracle cure

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Major Applewhite? Really Houston?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Having to restock his staff is what killed him at UF

I thought it was Saban?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

TheGreyGhost posted:

He still has a house down here, and it's likely he would be promoted to UC's DC if he comes down. He's still really well like from his days at Colerain and the like, so he honestly might be a bigger coup than Fickell for them. Both are fantastic recruiters, but Coombs is exactly what that program needs right now.

If that's the case and Warriner is in play, Urban's potentially replacing three assistants, maybe more if Schiano goes somewhere. Like, it could literally turn into:

OC/QB: Tim Beck (ugh)
OC/TE: Vacant
OL: Greg Studrawa (ugh)
WR: Zach Smith (who is frankly employed almost entirely for his recruiting ability)
RB: Tony Alford (See Smith, Zach)

DC/Safeties: Vacant
DC/LBs: Vacant
D-Line: Larry Johnson (The best technical assistant we've ever had)
CBs: Vacant

Is that the most vacancies ever created off an existing staff, or am I crazy?

Hopefully Boston College fires Scuba Steve and then he can be reunited with Urbz as his OC!

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Regnevelc posted:

I thought it was Saban?

Saban didn't make them run the option with John Brantley

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Saban didn't make them run the option with John Brantley

:suicide:

It was a combination of coaching attrition, promotion of Addazio to OC, inability to adapt offense to anyone other than Tebow, and poor QB recruiting/depth.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
So, after calming down a bit, my thoughts on Head Coach Opie:

Positives:
Dynamite recruiter, well liked and respected by high school coaches in Texas - hopefully this means we can keep our recruiting class mostly intact
Well-connected enough in coaching circles to hire some good coordinators
Cheap, so we can probably pay those coordinators pretty well

Negatives:
Not too inspired by his play-calling this year, but we were also hurt by having a young o-line with a ton of injuries and G5-level depth
He hasn't really been wanted for an HC job - somewhere like Rice or UTSA is probably more his level for a first job
Likes to bang student trainers

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

curried lamb of God posted:

He hasn't really been wanted for an HC job - somewhere like Rice or UTSA is probably more his level for a first job

Man things sure have changed since I was at UH, when Rice was our big cross town rival and we were pretty evenly matched football-wise

Also some Coog students infiltrated the MOB which is loving hilarious and dumb

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

LeeMajors posted:

It was a combination of coaching attrition, promotion of Addazio to OC, inability to adapt offense to anyone other than Tebow, and poor QB recruiting/depth.
His QB recruiting was pretty amazing. It just didn't make sense for what he wanted his team to do, and died off from some indiscretions on their parts.

Meyer's QBs have to be able to run

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Wiccan Wasteland posted:

I dont think they've recruited a Moble/Athletic QB since Mariota. What the gently caress happened to their recruiting? As long as Taggart goes after the smaller fast guys from LA like Chip did in the past then I think Oregon will be ok.

Travis Jonsen was one of the top rated dual threat QBs when he was recruited, they just failed to develop him somehow.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

an adult beverage posted:

Hopefully Boston College fires Scuba Steve and then he can be reunited with Urbz as his OC!

Admittedly, OSU has survived it's HB Dive phase just because we aren't trying to do it while using John Brantley, Chris Rainey, and Jeff Demps as various flavors of inside running. The Addazio comparison at this point is heavily oriented around the similar lack of passing game

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

pillsburysoldier posted:

His QB recruiting was pretty amazing. It just didn't make sense for what he wanted his team to do, and died off from some indiscretions on their parts.

The Mack Brown problem

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LeeMajors posted:

Wasn't that also about the time all the stories about the total lack of discipline on the team were starting to surface? Well, nationally, I mean. I lived in Gainesville at the time (Camelot apartment 4 life) and it wasn't a very well kept secret around town.

Randaconda fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Dec 10, 2016

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

Intruder posted:

Man things sure have changed since I was at UH, when Rice was our big cross town rival and we were pretty evenly matched football-wise

Also some Coog students infiltrated the MOB which is loving hilarious and dumb

Honestly, I meant it because they're still stuck in CUSA! My best friend went to Rice, so I'd love to see them with a competent team again.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

pillsburysoldier posted:

Les recruited dual threat guys to run a pro style offense, and Urban recruited pocket passers to run a run oriented option offense. drat, if only they'd just swapped.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The Mack Brown problem

How many more years would Mack have gotten if David Ashe's brains weren't turned to mush?

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

whiteyfats posted:

Wasn't that also about the time all the stories about the total lack of discipline on the team were starting to surface? Well, nationally, I mean. I lived in Gainesville at the time (Camelot apartment 4 life) and it wasn't a very well kept secret around town.

Back when Aaron Hernandez was popping off an AK-47 downtown and not getting in trouble.

And holy poo poo did you live at Camelot when that guy got killed there?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Spacebump posted:

How many more years would Mack have gotten if David Ashe's brains weren't turned to mush?

None because he wasn't a really good QB

Wanvig
Sep 8, 2003

Sucks to lose Orlando, but I feel better about Applewhite than the other options after Orlando.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

an adult beverage posted:

Back when Aaron Hernandez was popping off an AK-47 downtown and not getting in trouble.

And holy poo poo did you live at Camelot when that guy got killed there?

The one just recently? Nah, I ain't lived there since 2007.

I'm assuming there's all kinds of poo poo happening at Ohio State we won't hear about until Urban leaves or something, because gently caress, he apparently didn't believe in discipline at all.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

I like the fact that in Florida, you have to specify WHICH murder in your apartment building somebody is referencing. Are you talking about the one that happened last week or the one that happened a couple months ago? :shobon:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrunkPanda posted:

I like the fact that in Florida, you have to specify WHICH murder in your apartment building somebody is referencing. Are you talking about the one that happened last week or the one that happened a couple months ago? :shobon:

'Cause murders happen nowhere else in the country, clearly.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Mizzou hires former Texas DL coach and most appropriately named Brick Haley

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

whiteyfats posted:

The one just recently? Nah, I ain't lived there since 2007.

I'm assuming there's all kinds of poo poo happening at Ohio State we won't hear about until Urban leaves or something, because gently caress, he apparently didn't believe in discipline at all.

You won't hear poo poo because its OSU and Columbus is slightly less welcoming to criticism of university athletic programs than State College.

DrunkPanda posted:

Apartment murders in Gainesville are kinda like meth lab explosions in Indiana. You have to be specific because they happen at an oddly disproportionate rate.

Also. Gainesville is a rat gently caress poo poo hole.

GO Noles!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Genocide Tendency posted:

You won't hear poo poo because its OSU and Columbus is slightly less welcoming to criticism of university athletic programs than State College.

Apartment murders in Gainesville are kinda like meth lab explosions in Indiana. You have to be specific because they happen at an oddly disproportionate rate.

Also. Gainesville is a rat gently caress poo poo hole.

GO Noles!

My first apartment in Gainesville, the day I'm moving in, me and my brother were carrying a couch inside, and some dude directly across the street got shot in the rear end.

Can't really hold that against Gainesville, though, since I was moving into Pine Ridge, the worst part of Gainesville.

But yes, gently caress the Gators.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

This may not be a super popular opinion, but his QB recruiting only looks amazing bc he got great production out of Tebow. Newton would've been a star if he hadn't been an idiot, and we sacrificed Snead for Brantley, who was ill-prepared for the offense. Snead would've been amazing but Meyer caved to star- and legacy-pressure.

Between attrition and poor skill assessment, I'd say his QB recruitment was good on paper but actually really mediocre. Tebow made him look like a genius.

Defense and OL though? He killed it. WRs outside of Harvin? Not great. Lots of attrition.

That kind of poo poo happens everywhere but UF was trending downward from the moment Saban beat him into chest pains in the 09 seccg.

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Dec 10, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Now FAU wants Lane Kiffin, apparently.

And a local reporter in Toledo is saying Fickell to Cincy is done but he's also dumb as hell so who knows

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/18247548/houston-regent-tilman-fertitta-says-lane-kiffin-never-close-becoming-cougars-coach

The UH regent is trying way too hard to show the world that they big-timed Lane Kiffin.

LeeMajors posted:

UF was trending downward from the moment Saban beat him into chest pains in the 09 seccg.

I'm not a super fan of Jim Harbaugh but I'll be very amused if he runs Meyer out of Ohio. Even Saban didn't overcome Meyer until his third year.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Lane Kiffin is the apple of the public's eye now and all these ADs are setting themselves up for humiliation when their no-name hires fall flat

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah he's flexing nuts there, but he's not wrong to say Kiffin isn't a safe hire. ALso:

quote:

Kiffin had assured him he would stay at Houston for an extended period if hired.

hahahahahaha bullshit

E: That's not even bullshit because it's coming out of Kiffin's mouth, that's bullshit because while Houston is a drat fine G5 program, they're still a G5 program, which means that coach is 100% gone the minute a P5 program wants him.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 10, 2016

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Don't forget the importance of being on the "big stage" before.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Luke Fickell hired at coach of Cincinnati

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm not a super fan of Jim Harbaugh but I'll be very amused if he runs Meyer out of Ohio. Even Saban didn't overcome Meyer until his third year.

Last I saw Harbaugh was the one having meltdowns on the sideline.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Also Harbaugh's team this year was basically all seniors and Meyer's was a bunch of first year starters and underclassmen.

I'm glad we have decided that the second most successful coach of this generation is actually bad

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 10, 2016

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

I'm glad we have decided that the second most successful coach of this generation is actually bad

Did anyone say that? I said his QB eval/recruiting at UF was flawed and Saban spanked him out of the game for a bit.

He's clearly an unreal coach. That isn't up for debate.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
The only sure thing about Lane is his rear end wouldn't be at Houston in 3 years

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

MourningView posted:

I certainly never said that, but Harbaugh is a formidable opponent and could become a real thorn in Meyer's side. I was just having a laugh at Meyer's very theatrical stress issues.

Leaf Lock
Oct 21, 2010

:duckie:Caprisun Major:duckie:

LeeMajors posted:

Did anyone say that? I said his QB eval/recruiting at UF was flawed and Saban spanked him out of the game for a bit.

He's clearly an unreal coach. That isn't up for debate.

Florida fans have such a hateboner for Meyer to this day that they do everything except outright call him bad (only because they can't) so it's easy to get that impression. It's as if 2009/2010 were just last season to them. I understand there isn't much to talk about since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

It's mostly me negging on Meyer though.

• Locked thread