Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Lastgirl posted:

its like opting into a board game while anothe group are playing another board game

instances would be much smaller, like dungeons and lobbies in mmos

Does crowfall allow me to flip the proverbial board game when I start to lose as well? More importantly, can I play as a thimble, or do i have to pay extra in the cash shop for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Capntastic posted:

The best part of the embargo mechanic is that if you have 100 items stockpiled in your vault and your faction loses the war, you lose a percentage of it at random- but that percentage can be reduced if you "kneel" to the winning faction and get branded as a loser of that campaign permanently

Is it permanent or can player A kneel to Player B in order to get in good graces while secretly working with player C.

2DCAT posted:

Does crowfall allow me to flip the proverbial board game when I start to lose as well? More importantly, can I play as a thimble, or do i have to pay extra in the cash shop for that?

In a way, yes; what you do is smash your keyboard.

Doggir fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 7, 2016

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

I dunno how it will work but I think kneeling takes place entirely after a campaign is wrapped up but before loot is divided so you have the option of being branded as a loser (visible on your player info or whatever)

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I can imagine the Goon strat for endgame if we are losing depending on how it works. Camp the export portal until we get promised a high cut for kneeling.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Doggir posted:

I can imagine the Goon strat for endgame if we are losing depending on how it works. Camp the export portal until we get promised a high cut for kneeling.

Hmm but what about indiscriminate murder

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Blazing Zero posted:

is the distinction that important? the game world is an instance, a part in a game world is an instance. everything is instanced and illusion made up by our senses. namaste

apparently it is if instances has such a negative connotation for some reason :shrug:

2DCAT posted:

well yea, the campaign ends. thats the thing. everything gets a clean slate and the world "dies" and then a new one takes place. you just set up a new board p much

some will have different rulesets and durations etc.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Lastgirl posted:

apparently it is if instances has such a negative connotation for some reason :shrug:

its dumb and people who obsess over it should be mocked

Lastgirl posted:

well yea, the campaign ends. thats the thing. everything gets a clean slate and the world "dies" and then a new one takes place. you just set up a new board p much

some will have different rulesets and durations etc.

lets hope they know how to achieve at least mediocrity in the rest of the game cause this single feature could carry it

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Blazing Zero posted:

lets hope they know how to achieve at least mediocrity in the rest of the game cause this single feature could carry it

The highly elaborate crafting, EVE styled passive skill gain, and player run economy with full loot campaign worlds seem like they're going to be a really fun mix.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Doggir posted:

You know what this open world pvp game reeeaaly needs? Instanced, stay with me, dungeons. -forums

It worked for Age of Wushu. Dungeon bosses that would summon other players were really fun. :black101:

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

It worked for Age of Wushu. Dungeon bosses that would summon other players were really fun. :black101:

I mean that sounds interesting and I'm not apposed to instancing it just doesn't fit crowfall. The game doesn't need horde mode ad was suggested :-v

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Instances are just against the idea of an MMO. How is it Massively Multiplayer when you have instances restricted to 5-20 people or whatever? Its especially bad in a open world pvp focused game. Server hopping sort of ruined dayz, and having persistence between servers could be viewed as instancing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I guess anything is instancing.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Capntastic posted:

Please.

Call them shards.

Caw them shards..

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

I guess anything is instancing.

The universe is instanced.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
instances in instances oh my

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A veritable timecube of instances for educated stupid crows

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

BadLlama posted:

The universe is instanced.

holy poo poo

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

It's going to be sad when this becomes more fleshed out. It seems I can really only enjoy things that hardly exist.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

http://crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-unique-world-maps/

Prepare you are butts

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They said it's the "next big update", is that this weekend, or?

EDIT: FTR, these worlds are 9x9 (81 plots), 10x10 (86 plots), and 12x12 (82 plots), as opposed to the 13x6 (61 plots) we've been playing so far. Still not full sized (20x20, 300-400 plots)

30.5 Days fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 9, 2016

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo6KzgsW_ZI

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

quote:

Our next playtest, we’re making that happen

:haw:

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Please keep this thread bumped with good cawntent until the next playtest

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

It would be cawful if goons didn't know about this.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
birds

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/14569-patch-notes-december-09-2016/?p=307815

<insert bird pun about patch notes>

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The highlights:

- All the annoying poo poo with the chat window is fixed
- NPC pathing much better now
- Fixed all the dumb bullshit from last week with procs/myrm crash/etc., and also a memory leak where items that fall through the world would just hang out there & bring down the server lol
- Basic armor doesn't reduce damage anymore. Advanced armor increases damage. :O
- Basic exploration tree is in and is a prereq for gathering and vessel trees and all your gathering bonuses are shut off until you do the prereqs and I'm Mad On Line.
- Item decay on death is WAYYYYY down! Probably too low tbh wow
- Fixed confessor stuns being forever sometimes.

And of course, the big world stuff.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
"Confessor and Duelist Unarmed attacks looked too cool, made them 66% less cool"

Already with the nerfs!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

malhavok posted:

"Confessor and Duelist Unarmed attacks looked too cool, made them 66% less cool"

Already with the nerfs!

It's 'armless

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rn4VLoWexI

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
how do i get a crow as big as an airplane

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

30.5 Days posted:

how do i get a crow as big as an airplane

Bike pump

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

http://www.mmorpg.com/crowfall/interviews/the-uniqueness-of-worlds-is-about-to-get-nuts-1000011395

quote:

The next step will be automating that. Our plan is to lay out the major terrain features (mountain ranges, valleys, hills, forests) and then have a "history simulator" for the world that fills in all the details. The simulation will start by populating the world with various races, and then use AI to let them explore and conquer the world around them, sort of like a game of Civ, only completely automated. As the races explore and capture resources and bump into each other, they will go to war, declare peace, build cities, etc. This process will populate the world with ruins (and history, and artifacts) for the players to discover once that world comes online.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

A single "zone" (or continent) is 20 cells by 20 cells, and each cell is 256m by 256m... which means that a zone can be up to 5120 meters by 5120 meters. Zones are laid out on a grid, though, and we can extend the world indefinitely in any direction by connecting more zones in any cardinal direction. Our goal for concurrency in a single world is around 2,000 players.

loving instances.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Doggir posted:

The next step will be automating that. Our plan is to lay out the major terrain features (mountain ranges, valleys, hills, forests) and then have a "history simulator" for the world that fills in all the details. The simulation will start by populating the world with various races, and then use AI to let them explore and conquer the world around them, sort of like a game of Civ, only completely automated. As the races explore and capture resources and bump into each other, they will go to war, declare peace, build cities, etc. This process will populate the world with ruins (and history, and artifacts) for the players to discover once that world comes online.

Getting really creepily close to is our reality the simulation of an advanced species?

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Draynar posted:

Getting really creepily close to is our reality the simulation of an advanced species?

Nah all species kill themselves off with like nukes or w/e long before that..

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

quote:

Crow Fortress

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Sounds like the Smedley game Hero's Song storybricks mechanic (which came from Everquest Next). Pretty cool stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Doggir stop this, you should know better by now than to feel hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Sounds like the Smedley game Hero's Song storybricks mechanic (which came from Everquest Next). Pretty cool stuff.

Hey look it's the game eqn should have been; pending crowfall isn't vapor ware..

Orv posted:

Doggir stop this, you should know better by now than to feel hope.

Just ignore me in a couple years when you see me in a puddle of tears over this game.

B-but if it does launch... crawound floor bb :shrek: