Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milky Moor posted:

sir this is a citadel docking bay

I can't stop giggling at this god drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't remember the light side options being particularly stupid (but it's been a while). The dark side ones were cartoonishly evil, but that's fine for the setting.

ME1 had some actually proper evil Shepard choices didn't it? Before they moved Renegade more into the direction of rule bending badass.

Can't remember much besides turning Carth (little joke there) racist.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rinkles posted:

ME1 had some actually proper evil Shepard choices didn't it? Before they moved Renegade more into the direction of rule bending badass.
Helping Morinth over Samara seems like one of the bigger pointlessly evil options in the series.

Renegade as a whole really lacks a coherent approach; sometimes it's ruthless, sometimes it's racist, sometimes it's just being a jerk, sometimes it's outright evil.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

In ME1 Renegade is consistently space racist, like all the racist options are Renegade and the Renegade path with Kaidan is turning him into a racist. It seems baffling that they thought players would be compelled by a good/racist duality, but they learned the lesson in future games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Android Blues posted:

In ME1 Renegade is consistently space racist, like all the racist options are Renegade and the Renegade path with Kaidan is turning him into a racist. It seems baffling that they thought players would be compelled by a good/racist duality, but they learned the lesson in future games.

Shithead Shepard should be a viable path!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think having the racist options in there is actually good, but maybe not suited to a game with relatively limited dialogue paths. Like, in a game where you had six possible options on some branches, it would make perfect sense, but in a game where there tends to be "Option A" "Option B" "Non-Committal Middle Choice", it's a bit odd that one of the options is consistently devoted to being racist.

Not from a morality standpoint, mind you. I just don't think most players, even the sort of players who want play a dark or "evil" character, are all that interested in roleplaying Commander Shepard, Workplace Racist.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Helping Morinth over Samara seems like one of the bigger pointlessly evil options in the series.

Renegade as a whole really lacks a coherent approach; sometimes it's ruthless, sometimes it's racist, sometimes it's just being a jerk, sometimes it's outright evil.

Occasionally it's "pay unto evil" which is what I think it probably should have stayed, but yeah it always was weird. Paragon was consistently the good guy and almost always the objectively better option. Either way, I'm glad to see the system go.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Jack2142 posted:

I think Obama should issue an executive order forcing Bioware and Obsidian to merge.

So, you want EA to buy out Obsidian. Thankfully, while Obsidian is still around, their talent is splitting off to make other studios, so even if Obsidian dies, its creative leads are still working.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, you want EA to buy out Obsidian. Thankfully, while Obsidian is still around, their talent is splitting off to make other studios, so even if Obsidian dies, its creative leads are still working.

Who's splitting off? Last Obsidian news I heard was that most of their MMO division was shutting down (which made up a very big part of their workforce)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Rinkles posted:

Who's splitting off? Last Obsidian news I heard was that most of their MMO division was shutting down (which made up a very big part of their workforce)

Well, Chris Avellone isn't with them any longer. It seems like whenever a new isometric RPG appears, at least someone from Obsidian ends up working on it, usually in interplay (heh) with Brian Fargo.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Trokia Hydra continues to germinate no matter how many heads get cut off. Will this mean some of them will be in Bioware by Mass Effect 5? Who loving knows.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Android Blues posted:

They might go back to this approach for a 2017 release

:smugdon:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Crabtree posted:

The Trokia Hydra continues to germinate no matter how many heads get cut off. Will this mean some of them will be in Bioware by Mass Effect 5? Who loving knows.

They'll do a fusion dance with the Bioware offshoots who made the Banner Saga at some point.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Arcsquad12 posted:

No this is a hypothetical good universe where Bioware isn't under EA's Thumb.

Arcsquad12 posted:

They'll do a fusion dance with the Bioware offshoots who made the Banner Saga at some point.

This sounds like a good idea I approve of.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Also to be fair Space Racist Shepard in ME2 was honestly an amusing playthrough because of how different in tone it was from a neutral or Paragon playthrough. Seriously though the Ruthless (Renegade) background Shepard gets most of his soldiers killed in the battle of Torfan, and literally executes surrendering Batarians. Pair that up with the colonist background where Batarian slavers come and murder your family Shepard being a dick to aliens makes perfect sense and it is kind of amusing how much you can screw other all non-humans in the first game.The best being in just leaving the Council to die, and how hopeful the Asari get and then how crushed they are when the Alliance ships just watch them die.

It also explains why Shepard in ME2 has no issues with the Cerberus railroad, you're just joining up with your fellow human supremacists.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 10, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Cheeto Benito and his fantastic array of scum does make the prospect of a one-way trip to another galaxy far more appealing.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

No, Shepard joining Cerberus still doesn't make sense. For a pro-human group an awful lot of their victims in ME1 were human.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

sweet geek swag posted:

No, Shepard joining Cerberus still doesn't make sense. For a pro-human group an awful lot of their victims in ME1 were human.

Acceptable Losses in the face of Alien Tyranny!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

By an awful lot I meant all. All the people they killed were human. At the rate they were going in ME1, racist Shepard might fault them with not being racist enough.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Eh it's ditching a weirdo zealot who lives by a set of ancient, arcane rules (Rules that might conflict with what you're up to and lead to her being honor-bound to kill you) with her far more powerful, freewheeling daughter. You're not like, picking roommates, you're recruiting the best shitkickers you can for a literal suicide mission.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Reclaimer posted:

Eh it's ditching a weirdo zealot who lives by a set of ancient, arcane rules (Rules that might conflict with what you're up to and lead to her being honor-bound to kill you) with her far more powerful, freewheeling daughter. You're not like, picking roommates, you're recruiting the best shitkickers you can for a literal suicide mission.

yeah I mean but she's also a vampire serial killer

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

sweet geek swag posted:

By an awful lot I meant all. All the people they killed were human. At the rate they were going in ME1, racist Shepard might fault them with not being racist enough.

True, also I thought teaming up with Cerberus and the getting killed to start ME2 was pretty dumb, playing renegade though makes working with Cerberus slightly more reasonable.

Reclaimer posted:

Also if you roll Renegade she pretty much flat out says she is gonna kill you once this is over, so Shepard being savvy turns the tables.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Vampires can transform into mist and are thus suitable for vent jobs

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Renegade with a Heart of Gold was a viable way to play through the Mass Effect games, and ended up being my favorite. Always be a surly rear end in a top hat to everyone, always murder bad guys, never say anything racist and never pick any of the outright evil choices (murdering Samara, ordering Jack to murder a crazy hobo, genociding the rachni, etc.) And yeah, I know the game gives you a little room to rationalize a lot of those choices, but they sure struck me as moustache -twirling.

A ‘render evil unto evil’ cowboy cop is now my favorite character to roleplay in games that will allow it. Works great in Dragon Age: Origins too.

It’s funny, Bioware’s clunky handling of morality goes all the way back to Baldur’s Gate. There was a morality system there, but being good and ‘liked’ were somehow the same thing, so if you played the game the evil way shopkeepers would charge huge amounts of money for items and you would constantly be hunted by the local law enforcement guys.

Also a lot of the evil ‘choices’ amounted to murdering people for fun, and if you didn’t go around murdering people for fun even the ‘smart’ evil characters would whine about it. It was a mess.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Pattonesque posted:

When you need a whole lot of people dead no questions asked, accept no substitutes.

Edit: The alternative is an aging cop who's spent 400 years chasing the same perp.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Im gonna be honest maybe I watch Starship troopers to much, but I honestly couldn't justify sparing the Rachni. They fall into the "too dangerous to be left alive" territory for me.

The only good bug is a dead bug!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I always thought it was funny that the council got mad at you for killing the Rachni. They exterminated literally the entire Rachni race except for one egg and then accuse you of genocide for killing one individual that had just slaughtered a colony.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I always thought it was funny that the council got mad at you for killing the Rachni. They exterminated literally the entire Rachni race except for one egg and then accuse you of genocide for killing one individual that had just slaughtered a colony.

hang up on the council err day

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jack2142 posted:

Im gonna be honest maybe I watch Starship troopers to much, but I honestly couldn't justify sparing the Rachni. They fall into the "too dangerous to be left alive" territory for me.

The only good bug is a dead bug!

I mean that's pretty much the exact same argument against geth and krogan

not saying killing any of them is right or wrong just saying if you didn't kill them all you're a hypocrite

which is the worst possible thing to be IMO

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Mazerunner posted:

I mean that's pretty much the exact same argument against geth and krogan

not saying killing any of them is right or wrong just saying if you didn't kill them all you're a hypocrite

which is the worst possible thing to be IMO

I did

Seriously though it makes the end of ME3 pretty amusing as your "Coalition of the Willing" as space racist Shepard is pretty much just the Systems Alliance, Salarians, Quarians and maybe Turians/Asari? I don't really remember the details.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Dec 10, 2016

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

exquisite tea posted:

Something that Dragon Age got right for speech checks that Mass Effect didn't was eventually coding all of them with icons to give you a general sense of where the conversation was headed. Not only did it give you a clearer picture of what the response would be, but it made it feel like every dialogue option was "special," because who wouldn't take the glowing red/blue option over the normals if it was available to you?

That appears to be where they're going now with Andromeda:

Arcsquad12 posted:

The paragon/renegade system was really bad and I think Bioware needs to stop doing binary morality systems.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Does Away with Paragon and Renegade Dialogue Choices

Olanphonia posted:

How many loving pages is this thread going to go through before the game is actually released?

Remake the thread spiral diagram with just The Ends Were Bad -> No, The Game Was Bad -> Actually All Of Mass Effect Is Bad -> repeat.

Although at least the shitpost brigade seems to have gotten bored for now.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I was thinking about Mass Effect 3 and why didn't they have it so the Reapers shut down all the Mass Relays, but because the Normandy has the Reaper IFF she can still fly between relays?

So all the planets/militaries/races etc would be cut off from each other, they'd be panicking, but because the Normandy has the IFF and the quantum communicator Shepard/Hackett would logically become the organiser of the entire fightback. It wouldn't be a huge change to the plot really, they could just have IFF proxies developed from the Normandy IFF when fleets need to start showing up, but it would make the Reaper apocalypse much more frightening and give much more reason for Shepard to be the big hero.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How did you guys feel about the ending of Mass Effect 3?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Zzulu posted:

How did you guys feel about the ending of Mass Effect 3?

marshmallow creep posted:

:siren:Thread Rule: Stop talking about the Mass Effect 3 ending. It is time to move on.

That much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
:eyepop:

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FronzelNeekburm posted:

That appears to be where they're going now with Andromeda:

...I'm not entirely clear why "Let's cut to the chase" is a confused option choice.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

CottonWolf posted:

...I'm not entirely clear why "Let's cut to the chase" is a confused option choice.

"Just tell me what I want to know." icon?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Blastedhellscape posted:

Renegade with a Heart of Gold was a viable way to play through the Mass Effect games, and ended up being my favorite. Always be a surly rear end in a top hat to everyone, always murder bad guys, never say anything racist and never pick any of the outright evil choices (murdering Samara, ordering Jack to murder a crazy hobo, genociding the rachni, etc.) And yeah, I know the game gives you a little room to rationalize a lot of those choices, but they sure struck me as moustache -twirling.

A ‘render evil unto evil’ cowboy cop is now my favorite character to roleplay in games that will allow it. Works great in Dragon Age: Origins too.

It’s funny, Bioware’s clunky handling of morality goes all the way back to Baldur’s Gate. There was a morality system there, but being good and ‘liked’ were somehow the same thing, so if you played the game the evil way shopkeepers would charge huge amounts of money for items and you would constantly be hunted by the local law enforcement guys.

Also a lot of the evil ‘choices’ amounted to murdering people for fun, and if you didn’t go around murdering people for fun even the ‘smart’ evil characters would whine about it. It was a mess.

Yeah, the Baldur's Gate morality stuff is more like classic D&D Good and Evil, where it's less an actual state of morality a real person might have and more like being a member of an arbitrary Team where all good people like you and all evil people hate you or vice versa. It's sort of a mess and not very interesting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Schubalts posted:

"Just tell me what I want to know." icon?

Could be, I guess. It's poor UI design if it is though, it's really not clear that that's what it's meant to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

For some reason they never explained these in the game, was never clear why. In fact, the only place they describe the icons is in the manual!

That's definitely the confused icon though. It depends on context, cause the confused option isn't literally always confused about what's going on, sometimes it's more like your character is confused as to why we're even talking about this instead. Honestly I prefer the icon system though, at least it gives you an idea of what your character is actually trying to say.

My favorite instance of options not corresponding to what you'd do was in L.A Noire though. For those that don't know L.A. Noire gave you two options: Truth, Doubt, or Lie when interrogating a witness. So like, you'd think Doubt would be disbelieving their story, versus truth which is accepting what they say.

However what they didn't tell you in game was originally Doubt was called Force.

So every once and awhile you pick Doubt and the main character goes completely psycho on the witness you're interrogating. For instance in one case you're talking to a wife about the death of her husband. If you pick truth you believe her story. If you pick doubt you accuse her of murdering her own husband and covering it up all the while yelling and gesturing angrily.