Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Baloogan posted:

do you guys have any figureheads less than 100 years old?

Fewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Baloogan posted:

world historical individuals rise and fall with the ages and unfortunately we're not into the next age to bring about new leftist figureheads yet

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Pablo Iglesias is pretty dreamy. Idk if he's doing a very good job though because he and his second in command are already fighting.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
imo you should (seriously, not joking) look into memeing China Miéville

hes marxist as all hell and writes well

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

pisspiggrandpa is a good figurehead for the new irony left

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Baloogan posted:

uh every major party candidate this cycle and being discussed for next cycle is mad old

this isn't unique to commies

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Baloogan posted:

Well Marx (and Engels) had the good fortune to describe capitalism pretty well back at the onset of it. I would argue that their texts are still relevant.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

jarofpiss posted:

pisspiggrandpa is a good figurehead for the new irony left

He's a good memer that's for sure.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

he writes (marxist influenced) fiction, and marxist stuff

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Baloogan posted:

imo you should (seriously, not joking) look into memeing China Miéville

hes marxist as all hell and writes well

Yeah he's cool. I really liked The City and The City.

If you'd like to experience the peak of Marxist navel gazing here he is giving a Marxist critique of Lord of the Rings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chCcupi1bRY

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

how does it compare to mccaine's tolkien critique

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Well Marx (and Engels) had the good fortune to describe capitalism pretty well back at the onset of it. I would argue that their texts are still relevant.

Darwin did an amazing job describing evolution in 1859 with 1859 knowledge and no one actually reads Darwin anymore ot tells other people to read Darwin because it was written in 1859 and tons of better stuff exists on the subject. Except for you weird people clinging to it, the same applies to Marx.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

This is wrong.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

asdf32 posted:

Darwin did an amazing job describing evolution in 1859 with 1859 knowledge and no one actually reads Darwin anymore ot tells other people to read Darwin because it was written in 1859 and tons of better stuff exists on the subject. Except for you weird people clinging to it, the same applies to Marx.

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

asdf32 posted:

Could you explain your conclusion with detailed analysis please. We're all on the edge of our seat.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

asdf32 posted:

its true, no author or theorist has developed marx's ideas and we never cite or paraphrase them here, especially not in a long reading list posted at the beginning of the thread

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
Nobody cares about the 19th century is what he's saying

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Homework Explainer posted:

its true, no author or theorist has developed marx's ideas and we never cite or paraphrase them here, especially not in a long reading list posted at the beginning of the thread

capitalists can't read don't blame him

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Baloogan posted:

oh a pun. good. that is progress. I guess.

Br00tal

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
David Harvey and Richard Wolff are good contemporaries.

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub

Minge Binge posted:

Nobody cares about the 19th century is what he's saying

bonus irony when he then tries to land burns via a Victorian-era understanding of "religion" as a category

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

asdf32 posted:

Do you think nobody reads Plato, Mill, Hobbes, Rousseau, Machiavelli etc. etc.?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Bryter posted:

noted dumbass asdf32 forgot about the eminent contemporary leftist sex symbol zizek, too

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Bryter posted:

Which has a contemporary cult named after them?

Aeolius
Jul 16, 2003

Simon Templeman Fanclub
plato

wait so which is it, are we anachronistic or contemporary

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

asdf32 posted:

Which has a contemporary cult named after them?

Platonist stayed around a lot longer than Marxism has existed.

They directly affected philosophy for the better part of a millenia

This is basic poo poo, man.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

jarofpiss posted:

noted dumbass asdf32 forgot about the eminent contemporary leftist sex symbol zizek, too

Did I sniff hear shomeone sniff menhsion my main man zhizhek sniff

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Homework Explainer posted:

follow picture link for a festive surprise

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
still no presense for the kids who are going to be in their 60s now enjoying the fruits of their socalist labor as pentioners in russia lamo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Never forget 9/11 and 11/9 when Hillary Fell

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yes, Marxist Hero Hillary Clinton.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

In Soviet Union, Christmas was de-emphasized in favor of New Year's, when Grandfather Frost would personally hand out the gifts to good children. Instead of a Christmas tree they had a New Year's Tree, and presents would be placed under it by your family.

The reason there aren't any presents under the tree in that pic, is because Lenin's bringing the gifts.

I went out of my way to explain this and didn't even get so much as a thank you.

That'll teach me to humor bourgeois moderation, boy howdy.

Minty
May 3, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

asdf32 posted:

the funniest thing is this is patently untrue. Many still read On the Origin of Species. There are academic efforts devoted to cataloguing the minutiae of Darwin's writing.

Besides, there is a difference between Marxism and Marx, as the man himself infamously stated.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im half way convinced you guys are still huffing marx's farts just cause his name is so cool "Marx"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
says the guy huffing trump farts while posting "TRUMP!!!"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
im TRYING to complement you commie cucks jesus gently caress you dog

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lamo ive seen a fatberg bigger than my car

Morzhovyye