Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Also tell the Starbreeze people to give us a heist contracted and narrated by Chains because I still do not have enough Damion Poitier in my ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I want them to add a Thompson Contender. It does 5000 damage per shot and reloads as fast as the Breaker.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It goes up to 175 damage, more than the M308, so yes. The downside is it only has 72 accuracy at that point, but between a stat boost, maybe accuracy skills, and desperado, that shouldn't be a problem.

The main thing is that if you are doing a dodge build, the scope is going to wreck your concealment.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Hey guys.

quote:

lib/wip/chico/units/weapons/weaponunderbarrel.lua

evilmiera posted:

Just sat through a lecture by a Starbreeze guy today, and Payday 2 was mentioned a whole lot.

Just know that the dev team and Starbreeze themselves love you guys a lot, no BS.

Tell them we love them, and we're not angry, just a bit disappointed.

Nah, even if I find the balance stuff perplexing, I'm still really happy with how the game has grown. I remember the bad old days when body bags weren't a thing. I just...would really like Jules to explain his overall vision for the game, and how he conceptualizes 1. its gameplay flow and 2. the concept of difficulty, specifically.

Sykic posted:

We'll soon find out the flash lasts 14.9 seconds with Resilience Ace.

Nah, it's how long all police on the map can go between throwing flashbangs. I'd understand the change in frequency if it were tuned per-difficulty (it's be a great way to add qualitative differences).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 9, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Psion posted:

this also works in the reverse: if you give a gun more base ammo you also need to explicitly tell it to recalculate pickup based on the new, higher total as well.
I'm pretty sure this only applies when you're editing the stats through lua hook after the fact though, since if you're Overkill you just change the amount of base ammo directly and the pickup rate is just based on those numbers. Like unless they specify a specific pickup rate it's just a weird edge case of modding and Overkill themselves doesn't have to worry about it. Probably.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

evilmiera posted:

Just sat through a lecture by a Starbreeze guy today, and Payday 2 was mentioned a whole lot.

Just know that the dev team and Starbreeze themselves love you guys a lot, no BS.

Actually, can you tell us more about the lecture? This sounds supremely interesting. Who gave it?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I took a quick spin through two DW games with the new beta guns. The Cavity is finally a good gun; it's basically an M308 with more ammo per magazine, and you trade stability for concealment. It's already locked in single fire, so the stability matters little. The Broomstick literally has revolver class stats as a semi-automatic pistol, so it not only shits all over the Deagle class weapons, but it makes the Deagle at its most OP look balanced in comparison. The Goat Shotgun is a straight upgrade to the Breaker since it has more ammo and shoots faster; the only upside the Breaker has now is that it reloads faster.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Jules is complete crap and is seriously impacting a lot of peoples enjoyment of the game. Melee is basically back to being nonviable and his solution is apparently to make it weaker because...?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
worth noting that since the Cavity can't be put onto auto-fire, it can't benefit from all of the Enforcer skills that you're likely to have if you're running with Body Expertise, so the M308 would still make a lot of sense in that context.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Insert name here posted:

I'm pretty sure this only applies when you're editing the stats through lua hook after the fact though, since if you're Overkill you just change the amount of base ammo directly and the pickup rate is just based on those numbers. Like unless they specify a specific pickup rate it's just a weird edge case of modding and Overkill themselves doesn't have to worry about it. Probably.

Yeah, this is right. A better way to put it would be if you modify ammo count after its initial declaration, you'll probably have to go redeclare ammo pickup rates. Lua mods overriding with tweak.data, DMR kits, etc. Overkill can just change the initial declaration and call it a day.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The main thing is that if you are doing a dodge build, the scope is going to wreck your concealment.

they seem to be targeting non-dodge users with this pistol, yeah. Dodge pistols you'll probably bring a LEO/Chimano Custom as a medium secondary or a Whitestreak/Jericho as a heavy secondary.

Oh, speaking of which, the ROF change is flat out bad. I'll just get out ahead of that one. All the pistol ROF nerfs should be reverted, actually, not doubling down on making more of them. Yes, I understand when they were made pistols were comically overpowered, well it's not the case now and the 'fix' was never more than a really awkward band-aid anyway.

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 9, 2016

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Psion posted:

and the 'fix' was never more than a really awkward band-aid anyway.
Payday2.txt

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is there even a reason to do a pistol build without also doing dodge? I guess pistol skills are only about as expensive as shotgun skills, and aside from not being able to get multiple kills in one shot the heavy pistols are more powerful, if less forgiving.

Comedy akimbo long barrel deagle and precision barrel, stocked broomstick coming up.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
dodge skills and pistol skills are no longer mutually inclusive after the skill revamp. all pistol skills are in fugitive->gunslinger, while the only salient dodge skill is in ghost->commando. there's no overlap anymore. it makes just as much sense to go up and ace sneaky bastard as it does to go up and ace iron man.

this wasn't always the case, with all the major pistol skills AND sneaky bastard being in Fugitive, but that's in the past now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

Yeah, this is right. A better way to put it would be if you modify ammo count after its initial declaration, you'll probably have to go redeclare ammo pickup rates. Lua mods overriding with tweak.data, DMR kits, etc. Overkill can just change the initial declaration and call it a day.

they seem to be targeting non-dodge users with this pistol, yeah. Dodge pistols you'll probably bring a LEO/Chimano Custom as a medium secondary or a Whitestreak/Jericho as a heavy secondary.

Oh, speaking of which, the ROF change is flat out bad. I'll just get out ahead of that one. All the pistol ROF nerfs should be reverted, actually, not doubling down on making more of them. Yes, I understand when they were made pistols were comically overpowered, well it's not the case now and the 'fix' was never more than a really awkward band-aid anyway.

I would go so far as saying they should revert all the pistol nerfs at this point if this is health bloat is where it's gonna stay at.

And then buff rifles.

Continue the wild ride of constantly buffing everything because what the gently caress is even this game any more.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
buff all the guns to pre-nerf heavy crossbow damage, except the car 4

make that do RPG damage

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Coolguye posted:

dodge skills and pistol skills are no longer mutually inclusive after the skill revamp. all pistol skills are in fugitive->gunslinger, while the only salient dodge skill is in ghost->commando. there's no overlap anymore. it makes just as much sense to go up and ace sneaky bastard as it does to go up and ace iron man.

this wasn't always the case, with all the major pistol skills AND sneaky bastard being in Fugitive, but that's in the past now.

I guess what I was trying to ask is if the pistols are good enough relative to other options to be worth using when concealment isn't an issue. I mostly play OK still, where anything is viable, so I'm not sure how they stack up above that.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 9, 2016

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The melee nerf seems incredibly unnecessary.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Plan Z posted:

they what

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

They need to not be making balance changes to weapons, skills and enemies at the same time. It's creating expectation feedback loops. Different people (even reasonable people with sane expectations for the game) are asking for different things depending on what they expect won't be changed further. Since I'm still looking for a reversal on the harmful changes to enemy health, spawns, damaged etc, I don't have opinions on most weapon or skill balance changes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Plan Z posted:

It seems almost spiteful? They didn't even nerf the melee options that are the most powerful (and I'm obviously not going to tell them which ones are :P)

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Psion posted:

It seems almost spiteful? They didn't even nerf the melee options that are the most powerful (and I'm obviously not going to tell them which ones are :P)

Interesting that they nerfed the Katana and Fireaxe in the same breath; the Katana swings a lot faster IMHO so making them the same post-nerf is just stupid.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Psion posted:

It's the kunai, isn't it

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Folks, be sure to post your feedback in the beta feedback thread too, or the devs won't know your opinions. Well, aside from Wilko, and he just wants us to suffer.

Mendrian posted:

Interesting that they nerfed the Katana and Fireaxe in the same breath; the Katana swings a lot faster IMHO so making them the same post-nerf is just stupid.

My suspicion is they're working off of lists of highly analogous melee weapon "archetypes", and some inconsistencies slipped through. Not sure, though.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
No but you see they buffed that one melee skill from 300% to 1600% so it's fine guys really

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

Folks, be sure to post your feedback in the beta feedback thread too, or the devs won't know your opinions.

But I can't :negative:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

It's the kunai, isn't it

NO SHUT UP

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Discendo Vox posted:

Tell them we love them, and we're not angry, just a bit disappointed.

I'm only not angry at this because if I was, I'd be having a stroke every October and my birthday month is hectic enough as is. Just it's a banality of "oh how are they going to gently caress it up this crime fest? starting" with last year.

I stand by my statements.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

Actually, can you tell us more about the lecture? This sounds supremely interesting. Who gave it?

Not entirely sure it is something I'm supposed to share too much about, though it was recorded so I suppose there weren't any big secrets on display. I'll wait a bit to supply the name of the actual guy in case I misunderstood him at any point.

And the lecture wasn't about SA or any community in particular, just how they've worked with the community in the past and how awesome that tends to be, even when rather vocal people get very mad about things like not getting free codes for hats. The general thrust of the talk was basically a description of what it was like working at Starbreeze, their general corporate culture and the games they make and supervise. Payday 2 was mentioned as their bread and butter and the game they're supporting the most post-release and how that's different from what we're doing (learning how to make games for projects which we will most likely drop at the end of our courses).

He also devoted a large part of his lecture to talking about StarVR, their own VR solution that is being implemented in places like IMAX cinemas and the like (and a few fun anecdotes about how when people tried it out and played a John Wick-based game, they actually tried dodging shots with their entire bodies because of the grade of immersion and slammed face first into a real-life wall. The player thought that was awesome).

The point of the lecture was basically to give an idea of just what Starbreeze and their various devteams are up to these days, just in case one of us would like to get in touch with them and work with them as interns or future employees.And hopefully to give us a few hints as to what working in the industry is like and how it isn't a big giant corporate blob of despair anymore, at least in some areas.

Edit: Oh, I forgot: Also a little bit about how they work with other Swedish game devs for cross-promotion and how that not only helps them get their image out there, but lets them and other studios evolve and grow stronger from the collaboration. And how fun it was to make a goat-simulator heist thing.

Wilko
Dec 3, 2013

:toot:

Discendo Vox posted:

Well, aside from Wilko, and he just wants us to suffer.

drat straight

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Psion posted:

NO SHUT UP
They're going to nerf it, the buzzer and the electric brass knuckles but don't worry! They'll make it so all you need to do is spec all the way into the melee tree and they'll be as they were before.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they cant do this to my beating sticks/swords/golf clubs

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How will I breach all these ding dongs now?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Do you want to hold Eric Etebari to his words and hunger for a Payday 2 Movie? Would Ulf come back, even just to not play wolf if this happened? Should Marvel hire Eric as Craven the Hunter?

Also, Eric looks like George Clooney without his stubble.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

evilmiera posted:

And the lecture wasn't about SA or any community in particular, just how they've worked with the community in the past and how awesome that tends to be, even when rather vocal people get very mad about things like not getting free codes for hats.

Did they mention SA by name as a positive community? That would be awesome as people around here have always been overall positive about this game over the years, in really stark contrast to how negative whiny steam forums and reddit has been. I've always hoped that was noticed somehow, but between obscurity and paywall, i didn't really think it was.

Aside from Wilko joining overkill recently of course.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Wilko posted:

drat straight

Hey who do I talk to about an April Fool's day heist?

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Buckshot has shown me the way of just OHKO'ing the 1440 heavy swat assholes on OD with a shotgun and it is glorious. I don't know if I can ever hide behind jokers again.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

That sounds awesome. What do you need to do?

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I too wish to know, and I was there but didn't ask.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Discendo Vox posted:

Why do they keep making swat flashbangs weaker? I could understand if it was per difficulty, but every 15 seconds makes them a total nonissue.

gently caress flashbangs. The best change they made recently was for flashbangs to give some warning and be destructible, but further nerfs are always welcome because they are a greatly unenjoyable mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich
All I'm doing is frenzy bezerker with fartguns (DMR AK7.62 & the Judge) & a little bit of click clack, thanks for asking. :tipshat:

click the emote to see my build