Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Well now Rabi-Ribi's clearly just running too fast, like that SR2 frame rate bug. Probably because my monitor's not 60hz, knowing how this sort of thing goes. Grumble, mutter :pcgaming:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

Played Ori and loved it! Wanted to play Rabi Ribi but the drat thing crashed horribly so I refunded it, tried it again a month later and still crashed horribly so I refunded it again.

Well, I would say all of the Shantae games are charming and competent enough to be worth a play through once at least. Risky's Revenge is probably not worth a second attempt though, just jump into Pirate's Curse.

After Ori the best platformer I've played this year was AM2R. I forgot I actually got Odallus in a bundle at some point so I should probably play that next.

Ciaphas posted:

Well now Rabi-Ribi's clearly just running too fast, like that SR2 frame rate bug. Probably because my monitor's not 60hz, knowing how this sort of thing goes. Grumble, mutter :pcgaming:

You can software cap framerate for a lot of stuff, try nvidiainspector for nVidia cards, AMD has something built in as well I think.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Shantae is extremely good. It's not like, Mario-tier levels but it's definitely the best game out of an already strong series.

unlike a certain robot man game :pcgaming:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ciaphas posted:

Played Ori and loved it

Ori is easily one of my most favorite platformers of all time, not even from a level design perspective or anything, but just because the movement in that game is SO drat satisfying. The running and the jumping and the double jumping and gliding all just feel so so good. Nothing about it is clunky.

Is Shantae coming to WiiU as well? I'll probably buy it there so I can play it on vacation.

Also Overwatch his game of the year and Darkest Dungeon is second best game of the year. Downwell is third best even though it came out last year cause I didn't play it until this year PEACE

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's coming to Wii U but it's delayed

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i feel like it warrants repeating that FF15 owns super hard, it's a lot like Lightning Returns in that the story is a half-baked mess with a lot of weirdly stupid sidequests for weirdos and a protagonist that's constantly irritated by being trapped in The Biggest Anime. also iggy, prompto and gladio are my friends and are very cool

the combat is really fun and satisfying, i find myself looking forward to random encounters to see what silly flashy poo poo i can pull off

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is there a way to deactivate special items in Mega Man 8? Because I bought the slide extender and it makes the Wily snowboard stage nearly impossible.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

precision posted:

i feel like it warrants repeating that FF15 owns super hard, it's a lot like Lightning Returns in that the story is a half-baked mess with a lot of weirdly stupid sidequests for weirdos and a protagonist that's constantly irritated by being trapped in The Biggest Anime. also iggy, prompto and gladio are my friends and are very cool

the combat is really fun and satisfying, i find myself looking forward to random encounters to see what silly flashy poo poo i can pull off

:same:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Hello everybody, how is everyone doing tonight

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its -12 outside and still blizzarding and Im trying to enjoy FF15 but the combat is so bad it makes me want to kick puppies. At least the characters in this one are relatively fun and the plot/sidequests dont take themselves seriously.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

You have to say it like Ono does, HELLO EVERYWAAAAAAN

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The only game I feel like playing tonight is the Swapper, and I don't have the focus to do puzzles. :saddowns:

I tried playing some Broforce but I wasn't enjoying it, so I've mostly been reading instead and watching stuff - oh well. It's not like games are my job.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm gonna try to play some Sacrifice, that neat Shiny RTS game.

Also, I just remembered this cool fuckin poo poo exists. Proclick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqh0ogsF_js

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna try to play some Sacrifice, that neat Shiny RTS game.

Also, I just remembered this cool fuckin poo poo exists. Proclick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqh0ogsF_js

We got Anki Overdrive last year and it's indeed pretty rad. Expensive as all getout though if you want track expansions. The weirdest thing is the like singleplayer RPG thing and the rng drops from races.
Definitely the best F-zero game we're probably going to get for a while.

Edit: my goty is looking like FFTactics. Crashing at my moms and my brother got it for the ps3 apparently and having no access to my PC i decided to try it out. It's real good so far, though i think ive already won. The MC has already mastered Monk and Geomancer by chapter 2 :V

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 10, 2016

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

Its -12 outside and still blizzarding and Im trying to enjoy FF15 but the combat is so bad it makes me want to kick puppies. At least the characters in this one are relatively fun and the plot/sidequests dont take themselves seriously.

What problems are you having with the combat?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What problems are you having with the combat?

Truthfully Im just bad at it and that frustrates me.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

FirstAidKite posted:

Played a bunch of Blazblue CF arcade mode and a little bit of Overcooked with a friend tonight. Both are cool games.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nasgate posted:

We got Anki Overdrive last year and it's indeed pretty rad. Expensive as all getout though if you want track expansions. The weirdest thing is the like singleplayer RPG thing and the rng drops from races.
Definitely the best F-zero game we're probably going to get for a while.

Edit: my goty is looking like FFTactics. Crashing at my moms and my brother got it for the ps3 apparently and having no access to my PC i decided to try it out. It's real good so far, though i think ive already won. The MC has already mastered Monk and Geomancer by chapter 2 :V

Yeah, it is expensive and I can never see myself getting it because of that pricetag (and also not really wanting to dedicate the space to it), but the fact that it exists at all and apparently works (and there is some other thing with it where you race trucks instead, like, big rigs with trailers) is p fuckin cool

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

I finished Iron Brigade although I left the bonus mars missions on the table for now

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

Truthfully Im just bad at it and that frustrates me.

What control system are you using? The default one is by far the worst and either B or C work better.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Nasgate posted:

The MC has already mastered Monk and Geomancer by chapter 2 :V

solid plan you should stick with. Monk is a fantastic class for Ramza. he's gonna need it later..

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:ohdear:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

As near as I can tell The Last Guardian is just "what if you had a cat but the cat was the size of an elephant and shot electricity from is tail and somehow you had to depend on it to help you solve puzzles."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

As near as I can tell The Last Guardian is just "what if you had a cat but the cat was the size of an elephant and shot electricity from is tail and somehow you had to depend on it to help you solve puzzles."

u say just as if u didnt just type out the best sounding concept for a game ever

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stux posted:

u say just as if u didnt just type out the best sounding concept for a game ever

I'm not complaining!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Make sure you keep at least two saves in FFT and switch between them, seriously this is important.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Maker sure you keep at least two saves in FFT and switch between them, seriously this is important.

Yes, this is very very important. I did not know this advice back in the day and that basically stopped my game at a certain point that stopped a lot of people's games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Do people really not rotate their saves when possible?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This dungeon is filled with locked doors and chests containing keys. Keys are usually uncommon in this game..

Did ocarina of time copy dragon view???

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

quote:

Twitch and Shaq invite you to #GetCovered at the White House!

We cordially invite you to join us for The White House Competitive Gaming Event to raise awareness about the importance of having healthcare coverage. The stream begins Monday December 12th at 1PT / 4ET on https://www.twitch.tv/GetCovered!

The event features:
A game-a-thon with some of our amazingly talented Twitch Partners (ActaBunniFooFoo, Annemunition, bijoudemi, darkness_429, Elspeth, imcoty, LifeWithLaughs, Okaydrian, and thatchickparker)

A Rocket League Pro-Am Showmatch commentated by Goldenboy and featuring Fireburner, jacobRL, and sad_junior from NRG Esports’ Rocket League team, who are being joined by Moses.

Justin Wong facing off against Mike Ross in a Street Fighter V showmatch commentated by Gootecks.
Obama recognizes FGC

Trump probably only likes Fatal Fury Special

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Make sure you keep at least two saves in FFT and switch between them, seriously this is important.

Why's this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a boss battle where you can only use the protagonist against a fairly strong opponent. It asks if you want to save beforehand and if you do you're locked into that fight with no way to leave.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a few times where you can save in the middle of stages but have no way of returning to the main overworld map and one of these is right before one of the hardest fights in the game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Ah, ok.

I'm one of those people who never finished FFT because I'd burn myself out trying to unlock everything before chapter 1 was even over lol

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

Do people really not rotate their saves when possible?

There's a mentality not to that I think comes from certain things more than others - console gamers, ppl with siblings growing up, etc - because you think of save slots as places to save additional playthroughs or for others to save their game, not things to alternate between, and a lot of console RPGs would only have like 1-3 slots and in some cases not allow you to rotate.

On PSX save space was tightly constrained by memory card blocks; a memory card had 15 blocks and iirc Final Fantasy games usually took 1-2 blocks per file, so sometimes you literally only had the space left on your card for one save unless you wanted to delete your saves from other games. Some games were loving huge, and would take like half a memory card by themselves.

Baku fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Dec 10, 2016

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

Still waiting for something as well-done as and in the same mold as Super Metroid/Zero Mission/Fusion

like decades now I guess? someone deliver me from my endless wandering in this gehenna of No Great 2D Metroid-ey Games

AM2R was pretty good, though...

God I can't believe I didn't download AM2R while I could. Ugh

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh wow

I completed the first world in Super Granny 3 100% and then I pressed the C key and that brought up a little message saying that I activated the cheat to erase my progress.

Lmfao

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

FirstAidKite posted:

Ah, ok.

I'm one of those people who never finished FFT because I'd burn myself out trying to unlock everything before chapter 1 was even over lol

I played through FFT legitimately a few years ago and then after that I started a new game and abused the poo poo out of the bug that gives certain classes 9999 job points, allowing me to unlock everything for them. It was fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

LionArcher posted:

God I can't believe I didn't download AM2R while I could. Ugh

It's still around, just harder to find.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thinking some more on Shantae and one of the main issues (among several other minor ones) I have with the series as a whole, and this is a personal thing and not a universal statement on good or bad design, the transformations have never felt incorporated in a way that they feel like an additional power of the character. Instead they come off as more like a dungeon item in the weaker Zelda and Zelda style games. They're a thing you have to solve a specific puzzle and are basically never used outside of that, and having the seam of the dance for the transformation amplifies that. One of the strengths of Pirate's Curse is that it ditched that and actually gave Shantae herself more capabilities (which were for the most part still pretty much only used to solve specific puzzles, but still).

It's the kind of thing that there isn't really an easy fix for so I'm willing to accept it, but it leaves the feeling of always playing half a character.

• Locked thread